Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Hertfordshire Green laning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Events and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big-barramundi
Gate Opener

Odometer: 17

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Hertfordshire Green laning Reply with quote

Hi everyone, my names Mark an i hope to become a regular on this super forum!

hope ive found the right place to ask this question, and its probably been asked a thousand times already!

does anyone know of any legal green lanes/BOATs i can use in the herts area, preferably around the outskirts of hemel hempstead ect, but any info on legal green lanes in herts would suffice!

also are there any meet ups in the near future for any green laning near my area?

thanks.
simon_pryce
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1937

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mark, welcome to the forum,

I'm fairly new to Herts but have done a bit of green laning since getting here. Most of them are on OS sheet 166, Luton & Hertford - byways are marked with lines of red crosses and ORPAs with red dots [excuse me if I'm telling you stuff you already know]. Herts C C are pretty good at signing all their rights of way clearly and often put bollards or posts in ones that aren't open to vehicles, so itspretty hard to go wring. They also surface byways with a sort of compacted gravel. As a result most of the ones I've found are pretty easy going though in some cases there are ditches hidden by vegetation each side, so you need to watch your line. Some get overgrown and scratchy. Haven't come across any real challenges but have had some nice scenic drives.

I've been along most of the ones between Welwyn, Hatfield and Hoddesden and some up round Datchworth. There are some longs ones NE of Stevenage I mean to take a look at some time too, one's an old Roman Road

There are also some good fords, especially in the River Rib, east of the A10, they're on the wet roads web site.

big-barramundi
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply Simon Wink

just to put you in the picture im fairly new to all this green laning (and possilby a bit too late!)

ill be sure to check out the River Rib, that sounds like a good crack!

is there anywhere recomended to get O S sheets from or is it just a case of contacting my local map supplier?
Big Mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mark and welcome to the mad house Very Happy

I get my maps from Mapkiosk, prices are ok and are normally next day delivery. Or you could try your local WH Smiths or a good newsagent.
Personally I find the OS Explorer maps easier to read, and are a better scale than Land Ranger maps but you will need more of them to cover the same area.
big-barramundi
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Mac Wink

also cheers for that link to the " Wet Roads " site Simon, me and a few mates went out tonight to check out a few fords in our area, 3 infact! im in trouble now cos i took the missis's x-trail and the front carpets are wet Laughing still, it was worth the crack!
Spyderman
Gate Opener

Odometer: 13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good ones between Hatfield and Broxbourne.
I've done one from Steppingley to the A507 at Milbrook nr J13 M1, pretty good no damage though woods but sandy soil.
Couple of long ones at Whitwell south of Hitchin, done 2 of them no problems, but the third one looks good but I would want company as it looked like large potential for getting stuck on that one. If you fancy giving them a go let me know.

colonel
Gate Opener

Odometer: 39

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Hertfordshire Lanes Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Best advice I can give is to join the Hertforshire GLASS group.
We have a pub meet every 2nd wednesday of the month at The Long & Short Arms Pub in Lemsford village.
We are an informal group who enjoy laning, we have regular trips out in all parts of the country & have recently spent a long weekend in wales which was superb.

If you bring your maps along I will mark them up for you & give you any advice you need. The 2 long roman roads in north Herts are closed to motor vehicles as is the Old Bourne so dont get yourself in trouble by trying to drive them.

Cheers

Rob.
jjh
Just got MTs

Odometer: 119

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colonel.

What times do you meet? I'm based north of Ware and am looking fo some friendly faces and advice on LEGAL lanes in Herts...

Jay.

simon_pryce
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1937

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice about the two Roman roads, I'd been eying them up for a while. Herts CC are usually pretty good about signing what is and isn't legally driveable and quite often seem to put up official bollards - as opposed to the illegal blockages with concrete blocks and old tree stumps that tend to appear.

The long byways / ORPAs east and west of Great Offley are quite interesting but pretty overgrown last time I was along there a couple of months ago, especially the bit from 166267 north to the junction at 166275.

colonel
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Herts Laning Reply with quote

Hi Jay

The pub meet starts at 8:00 ish untill closing time.
There are always plenty of friendly faces & new ones are most welcome.
We generally organise a laning run on the sunday following the pub meet.

Rob.
pupster01
Gate Opener

Odometer: 34

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Herts Laning Reply with quote

colonel wrote:
Hi Jay

The pub meet starts at 8:00 ish untill closing time.
There are always plenty of friendly faces & new ones are most welcome.
We generally organise a laning run on the sunday following the pub meet.

Rob.

Hi Colonel

met up with you chaps back in January and keep missing that meetings am i right in thinking next meeting is July 11Th

are you all going up for billing?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
colonel
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

July 11th it is, hope you can make it.
Russell
Gate Opener

Odometer: 7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is very old but are any of these users still on here and if so would they be willing to meet up and show me the Hertfordshire lanes.

Kind regards

Russell.
colonel
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still here, & were still welcoming new members to our pub night which is second wednesday of the month at The Long & Short Arms pub in Lemsford village.
We go out lanlng every month & try to spread our trips around the country, we usually do the herts lanes 2 or 3 times a year.

Russell
Gate Opener

Odometer: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool will try and get to meeting only problem is a clash with TRF meeting, what time does your meeting start ?

Russell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Events and Gatherings All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: