Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Mongol Rally Tyre Choice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Garage - Please say hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henners
Gate Opener

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Mongol Rally Tyre Choice? Reply with quote

Hello Difflock!
My name is Henrietta & I am hoping you can help me? I have tried my best to Google but am getting some really conflicting information.
I have stupidly signed up to do the Mongol Rally in Poppy the Perodua. As I am sure you know, the whole point of the Mongol Rally is to do it in a completely unsuitable car. I’ve already taken the abuse about the low ground clearance, wheel size etc etc. However, it was love at first sight & now I need to give myself the best chance of completing the challenge!
I apologise in advance for my sketchy knowledge & appreciate any advice you can give me.
I want to buy 5 new tyres (I’m also taking tyreweld) – what do you recommend?
Current Front Tyres – 155/65R13 73V
Current Rear Tyres 165/70R13 79T
Owner’s manual listed Tyres – 155/65R13 S
I know that the stock answer is follow the owner’s manual. But I also know that reinforced tyres will benefit me hugely!
A. Buy 165/70R13 which are available in reinforced & have many options
B. Buy 155/65R13 which aren’t available in reinforced & are limited in options
I am also a little confused about whether to buy M&S as most of the driving after Europe will be sand & off road?!
TIA
xamtex
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 11903

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,and good luck on your event....i have added this post in the tyre section so you are more likely to get a response...hopefully mr tyre will come along with some professional advice.
Mr Tyre
Mr Tyre

Odometer: 4957

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, first thing i would do is to take one of the wheels of the back (165/70R13) and fit it on the front (and leave it jacked up ) so that you can check to see if there are any clearance issues, as in does it catch or touch any of the suspension components, or catch on the body, as they are nearly 35mm larger in diameter than your current fitment, so check carefully.I would then let the jack down and to settle the car and then see if there are any issues.If there are none then then you will be ok using the 165/70R13 tyres.Go for reinforced tyres as the stronger sidewalls will lessen any damage that might occur through pot holes etc.
What i do suggest you do is take it up the road to see how accurate the speedo is before you change tyres, and then after you change to see what the speedo is reading as there will be a variation between the two (155/65r13) and the 165/70R13 and you want to stay on right side of legal.As for would i buy M+S tyres that would depend as you don't want anything too aggressive as all they will do is dig in even more, i might be tempted to buy a pair and stick them on the drive wheels but very harsh dry tarmac won't do them much good.

Best wishes
Harry
aka Mr Tyre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Garage - Please say hello All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: