Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Not ANOTHER Dirt Honda Racer Bill!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redliner
Just got MTs

Odometer: 172

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My custom flared & scooped rear fender guard die came off the Interlude dirt car ok, so I can now do the final sculpting & strengthening of this die with it in a horizontal position. Just the initial blending & filling with it on the bench has improved it dramatically.

Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second layer of fiberglass on my Interlude’s rear wing is 6oz. woven cloth (as used on surf boards), and gives a much smoother surface than the chopped strand mat layer it follows.

Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I layed up the top side of the woven cloth I put on the underside of my rear wing yesterday. After lunch I trimmed it to fit in position behind the boot of the Interlude where it's angle will be adjustable. Is it big enough?

Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use un-expanded Rivnuts to mount my wings. I dig foam out of their ends and epoxy them in place, covering the whole wing end for max strength.

Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical day for me at the moment - fiberglassing car parts to sell to raise build $$$ for our house while we save for a few big items. Enforcement of some fairly irrelevant rules by one car club where my Interlude will race demands ALL headlights be in place (working or not), so I can't get cold air induction through one as I'd planned. First pic is of the WRX scoop (orange) I've cut down for the Interlude bonnet as my plan B. The two blue pieces are the canards I've sculpted for that Honda, & I think they'll fit many other cars too - including the SPAM Hatch. Might flog a few. We'll see. As this photo was taken I had just painted them with Estapol 7008 2 pack epoxy floor varnish to seal them before I start making copies off them. The canards are the actual molds, whereas the WRX scoop is my sculpted die which I have yet to mold. Second pic shows three Mazda RX7 FD headlight covers I am making for James to flog. One is an aftermarket one off one of his many wrecks that included a cold air scoop in it. The OME ones only have thin plastic mounting brackets which snap if you look at them. Once the wind gets under the covers.... goodbye! I add sheet metal mounts to mine, so these will truly be unbreakable & meet an unmet demand among RX7 owners. The R&D on these took me MANY attempts before I got it to a standard we can sell. The black mold at the back is a inner front mudguard liner for RX7FD's. When guys on the street or track fit wide/big tyres they kill the OME ones. The Redline design is just a narrowed front half which avoids this problem, but still keeps the tyre dirt being thrown into the engine bay. Once again fiberglass murders the OME plastic ones for longlevity and they use factory mounting points for convenience.
Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just raw out of the mould with a little dressing up to do, but these canards - fiddly as they are - turned out ok. I’ll dress the outer edge with Carbon Fiber.

You Tube videos on canards only show how to fit them. FIT them??? Gees I didn't know it was that hard. But I have been unable to find any on how to MAKE them - which is surely of far greater need. As a result I've decided to fill that gap with a tutorial that'll show step by step right from the start how to build them to fit your car and design using techniques and materials that any petrol head probably has already in their garage. Stay tuned.
Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about got the larger tin canards dies finished today around which I am filming my latest fiberglassing tutorial on how to make these aero aids to your own design for your own car.

Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the fiberglass molds of my tin canard dies today. Tutorial video out soon.
Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to easily make your own canards - Part 1 of 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEJs2t7j8pQ
Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost finished my canards

Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part A got 1,100 views in 24 hours. Let's release it's brother! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM5fHvGMrjY
Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says you can't make your own widebody kit? Bill shows how it can be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syZO0BGr8eI
Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last I have finished sculpting both the dies of my 75mm wide body rear flares for the Interlude. Making molds of them began today with Gelcoat. Why purple? Because grey gets boring after a while. Although every car is different, I have made these to not just fit my Interlude, but as many cars as possible because I hope to sell a few copies to other guys building race cars. Even if they need a little trimming or adapting to fit other makes there's ****** all options out there for most race cars, and at worst these will save guys heaps of time on their projects.
Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my molds made up. At present fiberglassing is outstripping sheet metal fabrication postings on this site. Who would thunk it?

Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISASTER! Looks like I forgot the PVA release when laying up these molds. Molds useless. Sculpted dies totally destroyed. Other one has the same problems. This shows what happens when the poly fiberglass resin locks into your fillers. Everything becomes one homogeneous block. Even the fiberglass parts of the die would not release from my purple Gelcoat. Days & days of work up in smoke - let alone the materials and money! Sometimes this just happens with fiberglassing; the shape beats you, your materials fail, or you just have a momentary lack of concentration like I apparently did. This project will have to go right back to the very start to making copies of the flares & vents used for sculpting. I don't even think I can save the tin base plates. To say I am not motivated to do that right now would be an underestimation in the Donald Trump league. Backburner on this project until after I get into my house for sure. aaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Gavlad
Gate Opener

Odometer: 17

1994 Toyota Landcruiser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn man, what a ****** Sad
Redliner
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my disaster with the Interlude rear flared guard molds I decided the best way forward was to remove as much of the crap from them as possible with a flapper disc. You can see the results after hours of sanding and re-charging of my three Milwaukee batteries over several days when all other jobs were done for the day. I will now need to cut the wheel arch flange off so I can get the cordless right into those flared edges, then I'll glue it back together. This will allow me to make rough copies in these purple molds, which I can then use as dies for a NEW set of molds once I fill, sand & tidy them right up. Much more involved than it normally would be, but the quickest way to redeem all my sculpting work on the car without having to go back to scratch on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: