Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

land rover discovery axles on a vitara
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

Odometer: 13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: land rover discovery axles on a vitara Reply with quote

I have seen a few posts but pretty worthless comments.

I'm looking into it as I've just broke my disco and have axles and other bits and bobs left over.

Just wondered what modifications I have to do. Anywhere on line with a step by step guide?
I know my friend did it years ago but with hilux axles.

If you can't help or offer any insight then please don't comment
mike328
Articulating

Odometer: 793

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: land rover discovery axles on a vitara Reply with quote

DiscoDan91 wrote:

Not exactly welcoming open and honest discussion there are you? Rolling Eyes

Getting them fitted to the truck is basic fabrication - bit of grinding/welding for a few mounts on the axle casings and make some mix n match props.

The biggest problem (read ££) is gearing; LR will be 3.54:1, vitara will be something like 4.8:1. You're inevitably going to make this even worse with bigger tyres...

Guess I can only hope that you think this is an insight, not just a waste of time Wink

jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: land rover discovery axles on a vitara Reply with quote

DiscoDan91 wrote:

Not exactly a very helpful comment for a newbie asking for help on what is a very friendly and helpful forum where comradeship and support is often just as important as technical advice. It certainly would put me off offering advice if I had any to offer, but as I haven't then may I politely suggest you don't read my comment.

J
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: land rover discovery axles on a vitara Reply with quote

DiscoDan91 wrote:

congratulations.

Member of TEAM CHAOS
mike328
Articulating

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I tried to be tactful, but that's better... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mr Tyre
Mr Tyre

Odometer: 4957

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike328 wrote:

Very Happy
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: land rover discovery axles on a vitara Reply with quote

mike328 wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:

Getting them fitted to the truck is basic fabrication - bit of grinding/welding for a few mounts on the axle casings and make some mix n match props.

The biggest problem (read ££) is gearing; LR will be 3.54:1, vitara will be something like 4.8:1. You're inevitably going to make this even worse with bigger tyres...

Guess I can only hope that you think this is an insight, not just a waste of time Wink

Yeah I know what you mean, heard abit about gearing etc, already got that worked out so going to crack on next week.
Cheers
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tyre wrote:
mike328 wrote:

Very Happy

that was the tactful version....

Member of TEAM CHAOS
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: land rover discovery axles on a vitara Reply with quote

jojo wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:

Not exactly a very helpful comment for a newbie asking for help on what is a very friendly and helpful forum where comradeship and support is often just as important as technical advice. It certainly would put me off offering advice if I had any to offer, but as I haven't then may I politely suggest you don't read my comment.

J

I put that because on other forums I have just had pointless comments that had nothing to do with the topic, kind of what you have just put Smile

Sorry if you've got the wrong impression about me but I'm very straight to the point, no beating around the bush kind of bloke.
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

** GED ** wrote:
Mr Tyre wrote:
mike328 wrote:

Very Happy

that was the tactful version....

& another pointless comment by you. Well done
Mr Tyre
Mr Tyre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: land rover discovery axles on a vitara Reply with quote

DiscoDan91 wrote:
mike328 wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:

Yeah I know what you mean, heard abit about gearing etc, already got that worked out so going to crack on next week.
Cheers

Are you going to run 4.7-1 Series Diffs?
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: land rover discovery axles on a vitara Reply with quote

DiscoDan91 wrote:

I put that because on other forums I have just had pointless comments that had nothing to do with the topic, kind of what you have just put Smile

Sorry if you've got the wrong impression about me but I'm very straight to the point, no beating around the bush kind of bloke.

heres another for you then.....

had you come on all polite you wouldnt have got what you think are pointless comments. you would have the answers by now. but seeing as you didnt introduce yourself (basic forum etiquette), classed some of the answers as worthless and made what is possibly the most aggressive first post in the history of the keyboard, you are in all probability going to get nowhere.

the knowledge base on here is one of the most comprehensive in the 4x4 world, with probably the highest concentration of vehicles that have been featured in the top magazines, there are even a few proven world firsts.

and you just acted like a cock in front of them

well done mr direct kinda bloke Applause Applause

Member of TEAM CHAOS
ScottieJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my insight

The big question is what size tyres do you want to run? That will decide if it's worthwhile swap. All I ever seem to see nowadays is people swapping big axles onto Suzukis just to run 33" tyres when there's no point it just makes the vehicle worse.

In my experience unless you are going to fit 37"+ tyres then swapping to axles from a larger vehicle isn't worth it.
By fitting landrover/yota axles you are adding weight and loosing ground clearance. You also end up with a track width that drops into all the ruts giving you even less clearance.

For 33-35" tyres it would be better to just do a sas with a samurai axle with chromoly shafts and CVs...... then you have more gearing choices, no strength issues and no loss of ground clearance.

I've been running 33s on my sj for years with chromo axle internals (vit rear diffs are stronger) and I've had no breakages even when driving like a dick......and it often easily drives through stuff larger vehicles on 35" tyres get stuck in due to the narrower track width and extra diff clearance.

Munkee
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1505

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems;

Your first post.
Gearing
tyre size
weight
IVA

Why do you want to do it?

If you're worried about axle strength, the vit rears are pretty damn tough. For the fronts, just get this and fit Hi lux Surf front shafts; LINK

In America, some fundamental Christians believe that the world is only 5000 years old, In England, some of us drink in pubs older than that.
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: land rover discovery axles on a vitara Reply with quote

Mr Tyre wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:
mike328 wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:

Cheers

Are you going to run 4.7-1 Series Diffs?

I plan on running series diff yes
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: land rover discovery axles on a vitara Reply with quote

** GED ** wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:

heres another for you then.....

had you come on all polite you wouldnt have got what you think are pointless comments. you would have the answers by now. but seeing as you didnt introduce yourself (basic forum etiquette), classed some of the answers as worthless and made what is possibly the most aggressive first post in the history of the keyboard, you are in all probability going to get nowhere.

the knowledge base on here is one of the most comprehensive in the 4x4 world, with probably the highest concentration of vehicles that have been featured in the top magazines, there are even a few proven world firsts.

and you just acted like a cock in front of them

well done mr direct kinda bloke Applause Applause

Honestly don't care. Simple as that
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottieJ wrote:
Here's my insight

The big question is what size tyres do you want to run? That will decide if it's worthwhile swap. All I ever seem to see nowadays is people swapping big axles onto Suzukis just to run 33" tyres when there's no point it just makes the vehicle worse.

In my experience unless you are going to fit 37"+ tyres then swapping to axles from a larger vehicle isn't worth it.
By fitting landrover/yota axles you are adding weight and loosing ground clearance. You also end up with a track width that drops into all the ruts giving you even less clearance.

For 33-35" tyres it would be better to just do a sas with a samurai axle with chromoly shafts and CVs...... then you have more gearing choices, no strength issues and no loss of ground clearance.

I've been running 33s on my sj for years with chromo axle internals (vit rear diffs are stronger) and I've had no breakages even when driving like a dick......and it often easily drives through stuff larger vehicles on 35" tyres get stuck in due to the narrower track width and extra diff clearance.

A few friends have told to do solid axles etc but I'm thinking of using my land rover axles because they have never failed me and I know what they are capible of, they ran fine with 37s on but with this vitara I'm doing i plan on running bigger than 37 just because why not, I don't plan on throwing money into it - only parts that are lying around. I was going to take it to Kirton as it was this weekend but needs a few bits of welding on the struts, never owned or drive a vitara before, I only know land rovers
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munkee wrote:
The problems;

Your first post.
Gearing
tyre size
weight
IVA

Why do you want to do it?

If you're worried about axle strength, the vit rears are pretty damn tough. For the fronts, just get this and fit Hi lux Surf front shafts; LINK

Cry me a river.
gearing should be sorted with series diffs
Tyres will be over 37s
Cutting most if the body away anyway so weight shouldn't be an issue

I like being different + I have parts lying around from my discovery so thought why not try it, if it isnt 100% successful then ill try something else until I'm happy with it.

Just a nice little project that will keep me busy the next few weeks
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good, saves you coming on here being a miserable fu[k3r

Member of TEAM CHAOS
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

** GED ** wrote:

Better than being a stuck up **** Smile
mike328
Articulating

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiscoDan91 wrote:

Cry me a river.
Tyres will be over 37s

Series diffs will solve gearing for standard size tyres, you will be ruining it again with 37+. And standard LR axles wont cope with tyres that big either, they break with 35's for fun...

DiscoDan91 wrote:

I like being different + I have parts lying around from my discovery so thought why not try it, if it isnt 100% successful then ill try something else until I'm happy with it.

Its not being different. loads of people have done this just searching about would have found numerous threads with information you could ignore. If you're just going to try it anyway until you find the right combination, why ask on here at all? Just to wind people up? Evil or Very Mad

Remember to keep us updated when you get it done , you can prove me wrong because I don't think you'll se it through. Rolling Eyes

**GED** wrote:

well said. Smile

DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike328 wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:

Cry me a river.
Tyres will be over 37s

Series diffs will solve gearing for standard size tyres, you will be ruining it again with 37+. And standard LR axles wont cope with tyres that big either, they break with 35's for fun...

Yes maybe so but I'm not running 37s straight away my 33s will go on first until I can afford bigger

DiscoDan91 wrote:

Its not being different. loads of people have done this just searching about would have found numerous threads with information you could ignore. If you're just going to try it anyway until you find the right combination, why ask on here at all? Just to wind people up? Evil or Very Mad

Loads of people might have already done it but it's something different for me to do, why should I do the same thing over and over again. Bobtail tray back pick up etc etc

Remember to keep us updated when you get it done , you can prove me wrong because I don't think you'll se it through. Rolling Eyes

Will do Smile

**GED** wrote:

well said. Smile
mike328
Articulating

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiscoDan91 wrote:
mike328 wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:

Cry me a river.
Tyres will be over 37s

Yes maybe so but I'm not running 37s straight away my 33s will go on first until I can afford bigger

DiscoDan91 wrote:

Loads of people might have already done it but it's something different for me to do, why should I do the same thing over and over again. Bobtail tray back pick up etc etc

Remember to keep us updated when you get it done , you can prove me wrong because I don't think you'll see it through. Rolling Eyes

Will do Smile

**GED** wrote:

well said. Smile

Edit to make responses clearer...

DiscoDan91 wrote:

I know what they are capible of, they ran fine with 37s

If you were running 37's why are you now starting with 33's until you can afford the tyres you had??

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiscoDan91 wrote:
** GED ** wrote:

i love know it alls.... Rolling Eyes

Member of TEAM CHAOS
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike328 wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:
mike328 wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:

Cry me a river.
Tyres will be over 37s

DiscoDan91 wrote:

Remember to keep us updated when you get it done , you can prove me wrong because I don't think you'll see it through. Rolling Eyes

Will do Smile

**GED** wrote:

well said. Smile

Edit to make responses clearer...

DiscoDan91 wrote:

I know what they are capible of, they ran fine with 37s

If you were running 37's why are you now starting with 33's until you can afford the tyres you had??

Right I broke my discovery for parts so sold near enough everything including tyres, then saw a vitara for sale last Saturday and thought why not for £260 and I have a spare set of 33s at my old man's.

Satisfied? Or do you need more pointless information
DiscoDan91
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

** GED ** wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:
** GED ** wrote:

Says the kid assuming I'm a "****"

But yes please carry on posting your pathetic immature little comments because they amuse me Smile
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiscoDan91 wrote:
** GED ** wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:
** GED ** wrote:

Says the kid assuming I'm a "****"

But yes please carry on posting your pathetic immature little comments because they amuse me Smile

kid?

gee, thanks Cool

Member of TEAM CHAOS
Munkee
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1505

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.7 diffs from the series will still be way too high, even with standard vit tyres.

Standard vit diffs are either 5.12 or 4.8 - you'll need something MUCH lower, even for 33s.

In America, some fundamental Christians believe that the world is only 5000 years old, In England, some of us drink in pubs older than that.
mike328
Articulating

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiscoDan91 wrote:

Im satisfied about something...
I got you a spade to help dig yourself out Smile

Mr Tyre
Mr Tyre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike328 wrote:
DiscoDan91 wrote:

Im satisfied about something...
I got you a spade to help dig yourself out Smile

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: