FORUM CLASSIFIEDS DIFFLOCK.com Links & Networks
Forum Homepage
Log in
Profile
Search
Private Messages
Forum Members
Register
Classified Ads
Search Ads
Place New Ad
My ads
Place your classified
ads here for FREE
NB: Adverts placed in the general
forum areas will be deleted
Difflock Homepage
Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407


Rear Shackle issue

 
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Jeep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
andyff
Just got MTs


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Odometer: 141
Location: Wakefield



PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Rear Shackle issue Reply with quote

Sorry, I seam to be having all the problems on this forum recently!

I fitted +3" rear springs as part of a lift and now I have an issue that the shackles face vertically down and may even angle forward rather than backwards when articulating. It is as if the springs are taller but no longer, so to compensate the shackle has to come forward. I thought I was never going to get the bolt through when fitting as the shackle had to come forward to reach.

Do I need longer shackles to compensate? If so I'm guessing I will get even more lift?

Andy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike328
Articulating


Joined: 10 Dec 2014
Odometer: 793
Location: Suffolk!



PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this with weight back on the springs (ride height)??

shackles, as I guess you know, want to be at 40degrees with full weight on them...not sure how to calculate proper lift spring length but longer shackles wont help that much, if at all...

__________________________________
Snap On: Turning drawers into status symbols since 1920.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
David_LLAMA4x4
Just got MTs


Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Odometer: 466
Location: Back in Shropshire



PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shackle issue Reply with quote

andyff wrote:
Sorry, I seam to be having all the problems on this forum recently!

I fitted +3" rear springs as part of a lift and now I have an issue that the shackles face vertically down and may even angle forward rather than backwards when articulating. It is as if the springs are taller but no longer, so to compensate the shackle has to come forward. I thought I was never going to get the bolt through when fitting as the shackle had to come forward to reach.

Do I need longer shackles to compensate? If so I'm guessing I will get even more lift?

Andy


If the shackles are vertical at full droop then this fine but ideally they will point backwards when at nomal ride height or full compression.

Best bet all round is to fit longer shackles and shackle relocation kit. This allows for more travel offroad and better ride quality on the road.
See [url]http:/www.llama4x4.com/page14.htm[/url]

Hope that explains a little otherwise just give me a call and I will try and explain better...

David

__________________________________
www.llama4x4.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
andyff
Just got MTs


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Odometer: 141
Location: Wakefield



PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Yep, with vehicle on the ground the shackles are vertical.

The relocation kit looks like an extreme measure. I assume that will also give additional lift?

That will then lead to the front needing additional lifting, new longer brake lines, prop angles too steep and a tbox drop or sye kit installing. Argh that all sounds expensive!!!

The joys of modifying vehicles.

I will have to do something, as I can't imagine it is a healthy situation to have the shackles vertical.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
David_LLAMA4x4
Just got MTs


Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Odometer: 466
Location: Back in Shropshire



PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyff wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Yep, with vehicle on the ground the shackles are vertical.

The relocation kit looks like an extreme measure. I assume that will also give additional lift?

That will then lead to the front needing additional lifting, new longer brake lines, prop angles too steep and a tbox drop or sye kit installing. Argh that all sounds expensive!!!

The joys of modifying vehicles.

I will have to do something, as I can't imagine it is a healthy situation to have the shackles vertical.


All the vertical rear shackles will do is give you a harsh ride and limited downward travel - if you can live with that then no real issues.

the relocation / shackle arrangement can give you as little as 1" of lift once the longer shackles are inclined more. Then a set of 3/4" coil spacers for the front will make it level again.
What make of kit is it?
Depending on what kit it is then the dampers are probably long enough to cope with the extra lift that gives.If not then a set of BPE's will only be £40.
A transfer drop can be done at home for way less than £10, relocate the front and rear hoses ( onlt £70 for new stainless ones ).
Should be fairly easy to get it working properly without having to spand too much more...

David

__________________________________
www.llama4x4.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
andyff
Just got MTs


Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Odometer: 141
Location: Wakefield



PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The shocks are rough country ones that come with a 3" lift kit I actually purchased from you (those red boots were a pain to get on!)

I will leave the shackle relocation until I have rectified my engine issues (see other thread). Then I may well be back in touch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
David_LLAMA4x4
Just got MTs


Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Odometer: 466
Location: Back in Shropshire



PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyff wrote:
Hi,

The shocks are rough country ones that come with a 3" lift kit I actually purchased from you (those red boots were a pain to get on!)

I will leave the shackle relocation until I have rectified my engine issues (see other thread). Then I may well be back in touch.


The dampers will be long enough then which makes life a bit easier ...

David
r

__________________________________
www.llama4x4.co.uk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Smiths
Articulating


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Odometer: 711
Location: Doncaster



PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give it a few months and the springs will relax and the shackle position will change
__________________________________
If you always do what you have always done,
you always get what you've always got.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Jeep All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum
Evo Oils

Specialist Tools

Oil Safe

Service Kits

Adrian Flux 2019

Join our mailing list for upcoming events, special offers, discount coupons and expert advice on the latest 4x4 products!

* indicates required





    
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group