Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Off Road preparation for a defender

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dunc
Just got MTs

Odometer: 134

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Off Road preparation for a defender Reply with quote

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post, and the numerous questions that I am about to ask.

I have had a classic Range Rover since 2008. I was very spoilt as the previous owner had prepared the car to a very high spec including underbody guards protecting everything, twin batteries and up rated alternator and loads of other things.... I have given that car a lot of abuse over the years and the level to which the previous owner prepared it has always given me piece of mind. (still managed to break it occasionally though)

I have recently bought an old 110 to compliment it. This car is relatively standard other than sitting on large tyres, winch bumper and rock sliders. I have sitting in the garage, but not yet fitted, a steering guard, a winch and snorkel. It is 20 years / 200,000 miles young, and has a 300 TDi engine. The proposed use of the car is for green laning and pay & play.

SNORKEL
On the standard air filter, there is what looks like a non return drain valve to release any water that gets as far as the air filter housing. As the car is not in its first flush of youth, is that likely to be effective as a non return valve? i.e. should I remove it and blank it off, or seal it permanently, or am I best to leave it there? One compromise may be to leave it in place, but secure (and seal) a small clear plastic bag (such as used for coins) around it. Should any water want to drain into the bag, I will see it and empty it, but should the filter housing become submerged, the bag will also prevent water entering the non return valve.

ELECTRICAL
I am not planning on winch challenges or anything, but obviously the winch will be used occasionally. I was thinking of fitting a second battery and split charge system. I happen to have a nearly new leisure battery sitting in my garage (ex caravan that has just been sold), so the only real cost would be for a battery tray / holder / brackets and a split charge relay kit.
Is it worth me fitting a second battery and/or an uprated alternator, or are these not really required? Does anyone have any links to a decent split charge kit, battery tray / holder / clamps or uprated alternator? Other than the general principal that I should go for as big as possible, what amp rating should the split charge relay be? What is the output of the standard alternator?

WHEEL ARCH EXTENSIONS
The tyres currently extend beyond the wheel arches. Not sure how it got an MOT, but I am not arguing with that. As the tyres have plenty of life left I dont want to change them. Can you buy wheel arch extensions off the shelf? Ideally I would like something that is easy to fit and also flexible so if (when) I scrape it against a tree, it wont damage it. Any links please?

UNDERBODY PROTECTION

What are peoples opinions on diff guards, fuel tank guards, sump guards and transmission guards for defenders? On one hand, I dont want to spend money if these are not required; on the other hand I would rather spend a bit now than have an expensive bill in a years time if I break it. (I do have a track record of being a bit over enthusiastic and as such the car may not always be treated gently). Any links please? Oh, it sits on a wolf chassis. Does that mean that standard guards may not fit, or are all the holes & brackets etc on the chassis the same? The axles are also wolf spec, which I think is the same as a P38 Range Rover and defenders from 2002 onward, but am happy to be corrected on that.

LIGHTS
Finally, my better half (who is the actual owner), is very keen on some extra lights, preferably mounted on a roof bar, but possibly on the winch bumper. Any links for something decent?

I have had a little look on fleabay and google for the items I have asked about links for.
However, I would much rather buy from a recommendation rather than a random internet site only to find I am buying a poor quality product.

Thanks for reading this far, and for any positive advice.
mike328
Articulating

Odometer: 793

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Road preparation for a defender Reply with quote

in my useless opinion;

SNORKEL
get it sealed up no water should get into the snorkel to need to drain out and any condensation is not enough to upset your engine...

ELECTRICAL
split chargers are great but ive run winches for basic recovery on 1 standard battery, or when adding an extra battery for capacity just connected it up in parallel..

WHEEL ARCH EXTENSIONS
only the treaded part of your tyres needs to be covered for MOT/VOSA so it depends how far they stick out. i'd leave be till I get told to change it...

UNDERBODY PROTECTION
depends on where you drive, were always in clay/sand/slop so I don't bother but if you're hitting rocks..etc that's something to look into, steering guard probably a good idea in my experience...

LIGHTS
I don't bother because I don't tend to drive at night...but if SWMBO wants some then you've got to put some on asap Smile LED light bar is the new and cool thing to do apparently...

If any of these things are just modifying for styling/spec list/general fun & keeping busy for the sake of it then just go for it Cool it cant hurt having a bit of extra kit even if its not strictly needed....my money would be spent on diff locks and strong axle components....

Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Your opinion is valued, not useless.
Several people I have asked have just said "run it as it is"

I may just fit the snorkel, steering guard & winch that I already have, seal the airbox drain and leave it at that initially.

I would love to go for locking diffs, for both this and the range rover, but unless some come up second hand I cannot justify the cost.

I am not actually sure whether I would go for locking or limited slip.

I have destroyed several diffs on the range rover but the defender ones are 4 pin so I think stronger.
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the only reason you would fit a split charge is if your planning on running electrical stuff for a long time with the engine off like lights on a camper. All the split charge relays do is link the two batteries when the engine is running and cut the link when it's off. You can get more intelligent ones.

Also I wouldn't have thought an average leisure battery is idea for a winch or for running connected to a stock battery. If you want to use it I would fit a second alternator and keep it completely independent.

I've only ever used my winch off the engine battery and use it for recovery on play days not competitions. My v8 only had about a 50 amp alternator so I put one on off a mondeo, think it's 90amp.

Most people manage to fit 2 batteries under the seat.

I'm not sure about wolf fitting but the qt diff guards are the best. I've had the round clamp ones fall off. A fuel tank guard might be an idea and a steering guard. Ive never had a problem with gearbox and transfer box.

Flatdog sell extended arches.

chicken drumstick
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality you don't really need to do anything to a stock Defender to make is usable off road. Bar maybe some suitable tyres.

Certainly never seen anything "green lane" that would require anything more.

Pay & Play sites, or rather a large field filled with prats who can't drive -- ok, stereo typing. Not everyone at P&P is like this, but far too many.

The reality is again, a stock 90/110 should be more than fine to drive about at such places.

Learn the vehicle and then see what you need to change. If you are planning a specific use, such as water wading over the bonnet, then yes specific modifications are sensible. But normal off roading - nah, just not needed.

Tyres must be covered to be road legal. This is not part of the MoT and it won't fail because of it, however it is still illegal and you stand a chance of getting pulled.

Plenty of places sell a variety of different wheel arch spats & extensions. Take a look at Devon4x4 or MM4x4 to get an idea. Or look at running different wheels/tyres.

As for mods.

-Steering guards are quite handy, especially if you off road in wooded areas (tree stumps) or on rocks. They are a worth while mod.

-Dual batteries and split charging. Unless you plan to do a lot of winching or require a 2nd battery for something else, this is over kill and just adds cost and complexity. If you want to use a winch occasionally, just get the largest battery that fits in the battery tray. A stock alternator will be fine, so no upgrades there needed either.

-Lights. Roof mounted ones may get damaged easily off road. Best upgrade would be to make sure it has halogen headlamps rather than the factory sealed beam jobbies. And fit some Osram Nightbreaker bulbs.

Some additional lights spot/flood can be handy too. Check out the X-Light. You can buy them from foundary4x4 (just use Google to find them).

Sensible things to consider are good strong recovery points front and rear and a good KERR (kinetic energy recovery rope).

Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the above advice.
I already have a decent KERR.
I will grease (or maybe vasoline) the drain valve and silicon up the filter housing.
It has Jate rings at the rear, and I have two more which I intend to fit at the front when I fit the steering guard. It also has a tow point on the winch bumper.
Tyres are decent mud tyres. Will have to check the size when I get home.
I dont really want to change them as they have plenty of life left in them.
I will therefore have to get or make arch extensions.
chicken drumstick
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 83

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: snorkel

The standard Land Rover airbox is generally considered well designed. It is placed and designed to minimise anything getting past the filter/box to the engine. This could be dust/sand or water.

The rubber drain is a form of one way valve (think you can replace them). It's designed to let water drain out of the bottom of the filter housing should any get in. It isn't completely sealed, as any air that comes in through the valve still has to pass through the filter. But the outlet of the airbox is much higher, so you'd have to have a lot of water in the box for it to be a real issue.

As far as snorkels go. There are different types. Some are simply "raised air intakes". This is what most of the factory ones are. These are not for deep water wading and may not even seal on the airbox. They are there to reduce dust/sand intake in such environments where this is an issue.

Some, but not all aftermarket snorkels are designed for deep water wading. These will seal to the airbox and require you to seal the airbox valve also.

However it has to be said, if you are going to frequent deep water wading to this level, then there are other preparations you should also consider. Such as extended axle/gearbox/transfer box breathers. Water proofing of other items and regular greasing of joints/props.

Land Rover's own rated water wading depth for the Defender isn't actually that deep. It's much less than a D3 for example. But I think this is mostly due to the door seals, as they will leak on most Defenders (helps to stop it floating....).

But the reality is, a standard diesel 90/110 should have no issues wading water this deep on occasion:

If you plan to do this every other weekend, then as above, you'll want to prep the entire vehicle for it.

Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Southdown Snorkel which I will be fitting.

All the breathers are currently led up to the bulkhead and join into one, which I will lead up the snorkel.

Obviously I will pay particular attention to how the snorkel is fitted to the airbox.

I dont intend to be wading as per that photo every weekend, but it may be once or twice a year. I have, in the past, hydrauliced an engine due to going to deep, so it is a sensitive issue for me.

If the drain rubber is in reasonable condition and I smother it in vasoline or grease, will it be effective in acting as a non-return, or am I best to use silicon sealant to seal it permanently? Is it worth using silicon round the air filter housing end plate (the bit you remove to change the filter) as that didn't strike me as being particularly waterproof.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Land Rover All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: