Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

At the risk of attracting the wrong replies ....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: At the risk of attracting the wrong replies .... Reply with quote

I'm hacked off. My 110 has a host of niggling wee problems which are irritating me which will all be sorted under warranty but Too much has gone wrong for me to be happy to simply fix and continue. The car is reaching 3 years old and although I can extend the warranty I'm not confident it won't keep letting me down.

Problem is there is nothing out there that does exactly the same job for the same money. Sure there are lots of very nice big 4x4s out there but they either horrible looking, too pretentious, have the wrong image and/or too expensive.

I do a decent mileage each year and need to love my car not just like it so I have a problem. Do I buy a new one later this year and hope it is both made better than mine and holds its value better as this is the last year of UK manufacturing or just keep the damn thing and live with or sort the niggles.

Or should I cut the crap and buy some jelly mould plasticky lump because it's sensible?

jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: At the risk of attracting the wrong replies .... Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:

Or should I cut the crap and buy some jelly mould plasticky lump because it's sensible?

Frying pan and fire springs to mind.

Yep, your LR problems are a pain in the proverbial but if you went for some other lump you might get a bit less superficial niggles but would you get a better vehicle to do the job you want it for. I very much suspect the answer is no. Sad though it is and with all it's shortcomings the 110 will be the best bet.

J
DD
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 9761

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha are the problems? Maybe yours is a Friday car? Maybe the probs are fixable for the long run?
'I came, I saw, I locked the diff'
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think everything is fixable but I don't know exactly what your problems are. I don't think you'll ever have a car with no problems. I've known cars that everyone tells me are well made an reliable (like vag ) and you wouldn't believe the problems people have had and the mechanics just don't seem to know what to do.

There's a porsche at work that's had 5 software updates each taking over 2 hours and the clock still doesn't work Smile

I'm not even going to suggest a pickup as I know you live your defenders. I really want a 110 but I don't know if I could live with it every day.

DD
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 9761

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the age-old test........do you still look back at your car when walking away from it after parking? If you do, it's a keeper.....
'I came, I saw, I locked the diff'
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my car has wee niggles.

its had 14 years of abuse.

your car has wee niggles

your car has had three years of not much abuse and regular services.

that tells you all you need to know.

no other marque has owners who are so blinded by their loyalty that they cant see the **** poor workmanship. its iconic, its british, its blah blah blah.

its three years old mate. its not going to get any better.....

speak to colin batch. he adored his disco. there was nothing better.

have you seen his landcruiser BTW? Wink
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing DD, I do that almost every time!

I've looked at all the pickups and I like they way they look but inside they are are super plasticky and they are even more limited or poorer value than the 110, the D Max has rear drum brakes!!

Ged, I expected your response but the thing is, it is not being blinded by loyalty, my eyes have always been wide open with Landies as are most people's. I look at jelly mould 4x4s and I'm not jealous. only the more blinded LR hater will deny all its attributes.

The niggles:
Bulkhead leaking again which is killing the electrics slowly
Bulkhead has corrosion, again
One of the rear mudflats has fatigued off
The 'stainless' hinge bolts are rusting (not covered by warranty!!!)
The steering pulls to the left which LR says is not happening

The car has been back too many times to list, some of which are the tech's fault and some are a lack of basic parts needing to be ordered doubling the visits.
The fault level is no worse than my dads bmws or mercs and they were seriously top of the line brand new cars.

An LC might be nice but the first time it slides into a fence or earth bank in my field and gets scratched or dented I can knock £000s off its value.

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:

Ged, I expected your response

no, you expected me to just laugh.....

RichardD wrote:

An LC might be nice but the first time it slides into a fence or earth bank in my field and gets scratched or dented I can knock £000s off its value.

right, so if a dent can knock £000s off its value......

whats this doing....

RichardD wrote:

The niggles:
Bulkhead leaking again which is killing the electrics slowly
Bulkhead has corrosion, again
One of the rear mudflats has fatigued off
The 'stainless' hinge bolts are rusting (not covered by warranty!!!)
The steering pulls to the left which LR says is not happening

the fact that you even started this thread shows that you aint happy. yes?
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not use the challenge truck in the field, then if you dent it....
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

** GED ** wrote:
why not use the challenge truck in the field, then if you dent it....

I won't even notice ...

You're right I'm not happy about the build quality, or the repair quality for that matter and I knew you'd laugh but all fanboy/hateboy aside this is a serious issue.

I have a car that I really, really like and given that until I bought my first 90 I'd not kept any car for more than 12 months yet I've had Defenders for over 8 years.

The challenge truck can't carry passengers, has no load area for fence/track/shed repairs but I could try using my sankey trailer although I'd have to fit some kind of removeable towhitch as I did to UNB. Mostly I'm running into the field with all my shooting gear (guns, ammo, clays, launcher and guests) and a challenge 90 cannae do it all in a oner.

The thing with being unhappy with your car is that if you have a problem with that individual car then you chop it in for a different one. If you are scunnered with the model then you buy a different one, same with the make BUT this all presupposes there are others you like/can see yourself driving or you don't really care.

I like the image of the 110. No one cares (or knows) that it's a £30k motor, whilst I get the usual ignorant hassle on the road I really do not care if someone wants to kill their car against my bumper so I can relax. There is an odd kind of anonymity in driving a Defender - people see it and admire it but don't think you're a cock. There is an old fashioned camaraderie that goes along with Defender ownership even if you have it pimped like mine.

Maybe I simply don't want to grow up Shocked Laughing

cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most pickups have drum brakes and leaf springs at the back, they're more forgiving over the load range and allow the new purchase price to be from the 15k mark. However it's a pickup, they're not performance vehicles, they are what they are. Plastic, yup, they're Japanese! It's functional though. Yes you can get better offroad, yes you can get better motorway cruisers, yes you can get more comfort and more toys but for me as an all rounder and for the price they can't be beaten and in my experience residual is pretty good, I lost £5k on a ranger in 4 years.

I don't think suggesting things like land cruisers are realistic as alternatives as they are a completely different vehicle and market. I think if you see a pickup as an unacceptable replacement to a defender (as they're the closest available alternative) then take the defender somewhere more sympathetic than a land rover dealer and get it fixed properly, ie by someone who will actually fix a problem rather than someone who will just swap it for another new part that doesn't fit. Or make the alterations yourself? If you got a new one in warranty you'd be unwilling to do that due to warranty which means arguing and trekking to dealers and even if it does hold value better as its one of the last, it still costs you more in real terms to change than to stick.

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very good points and rather than trying to compare like with like I'm looking at my usage so a passenger car is more useful but a pickup is not out the question.

Just been offered a firm £24,000 by Mitsubishi against a used top spec LWB Shogun.

And LR warranty have approved everything including the wee spots on the bulkhead.

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:

You're right I'm not happy about the build quality, or the repair quality for that matter and I knew you'd laugh but all fanboy/hateboy aside this is a serious issue.

take a get over yourself pill with donald.

trust me, you will KNOW when im laughing.

at the moment you are coming across as a lovesick jilted hubby. but i love her, i know she shagged all my mates and shat on my collection of model railway magazines, but i cant do better and i love her and i wish it was better but i know that every time i look at her shes laughing at me and spending all my money, but i love her.

and thats sort of ok to deal with.

the bit im laughing about is that the one you paid "coughhowmuch" for isnt exactly in the best of order after only a few years, and yet you are considering buying another one coz "maybe" it will be better.

think about that..........

Shocked

i would have replied earlier but i was watching the daepoo pass its MOT with only one niggle, an advisory for rear brake pads.....
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ged, that is EXACTLY how I feel. I even felt upset when at the dealers looking at a used Disco Embarassed Embarassed

Having been to the paint shop to have them look at the warranty stuff, all the tatty bolts, the peeling powdercoat (2 catches only) and the spots of rust that I persuaded them were not stone chips Wink are all being sorted. The water leak is a feature of Defenders, and I'm only owrried about it affecting the electronics so even though they can deal with the leak a wee plastic drip shield will be installed at the same time.

The pulling to the left will be looked at by a mate with a 4 wheel alignment set up on Monday.

Once all that is sorted and the car is as it should be then I can start trying to be rational about it.

Whilst over the other side of town I went to look at an L200 and a Shogun. Both very nice, the Shogun is much nicer but the rear seats are less well appointed than even the Defender ones and for some reason the UK spec does not include the rear diff lock. For only £3k more than a new XS Defender you get a new Shogun with everything you could want that is not 'pimp'.

However an 18 month old one with 16k miles is up for sale down south for under £25k and a 3 yo one for only £20k!! Which is a great deal for the used buyer but pish for the 1st owner. In theory, if I were keen, I could sell my 110 and all the dress up bits for easy money and buy a nice low mileage Shogun. On that basis given that there are literally no 2012 110 XS CSW Defender for sale on Autotrader I don't need to rush into making that decision.

But ..... but ..... I know she's let me down and will undoubtedly do so again in the future but can I see myself with anything else?

Embarassed Embarassed

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction ... I didn't look far enough down the list ...

There is one, selling for £26,000!!!!!!

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and thats why landrover have gotten away with producing substandard crap for all these years mate.

the water leak is a feature of defenders.....

yeah, coz theyre shonky.

the koreans who aint exactly known for their vehicle building skills are that confident of their manufacturing processes that their jelly moulds come with a seven year warranty.

lawnmower, who, if you believe the hype, invented the offroader cant even get their vehicles to last three without claiming that water leaks are fitted as standard.

now do you see why i laugh?

because people excuse this and then complain that i laugh!

if people were realistic, like, mostly, you have been, then people wouldnt laugh.

i hope they sort it for you, coz i would truly hate to see you spend that much and to have to excuse it. for that much you should be entitled to a top rate vehicle thats not shonky. good luck and dont believe that a defender SHOULD leak.
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're being a prat.

Landrover don't make any such claim and there is a very good reason why any car is made and remains popular for over 60 years. The far eastern crapwagons are cheap because they are ugly, slow and destined for the scrapyard in under 10 years. No matter how much you try to justify your choices your car is a cheap, nasty ugly copy of the most basic 'technology' left over from the bottom of the barrel left over from what the rest of the world has progressed from. If that suits you then fine but stop protesting how much you loathe defenders, it's getting embarrassing.

For all their faults landies last for decades and remain true to their design brief after all this time. It is a practical design that works well when compared with similar vehicles - commercials. It is not, nor does it pretend to be a landcruisers.

Today I looked at shoguns and landcruisers and when compared to the Discovery they are cheaper for a very good reason, they are simply not as good. Would I spend that kind of money on a passenger car? Nope, but you should be careful about confusing idiosyncratic choices for stupidity.

83.5% residual value after 2.5 years. No matter the reason, that is cheap motoring.

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ged, when I say prat I'm really meaning youre poking with the proverbial stick.

We all know you love landies just like you love iPhones but you're so invested in being a hateboy you can't admit your love

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:
No matter how much you try to justify your choices your car is a cheap, nasty ugly copy of the most basic 'technology' left over from the bottom of the barrel left over from what the rest of the world has progressed from.

you talking about landrovers again richard?

because if youre talking about mine, then yeah, yer right.

its ugly, the technology is old and yup, maybe the world has moved on.

but.

mine cost 500 quid and doesnt leak water.

yours cost over 30 grand and does......
mike328
Articulating

Odometer: 793

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(written from the fence im sitting on)

I love landrovers; theyre icons, part of history, the look of them, the heritage, the scene of people surrounding them, the after-market support, their off road ability out of the box with no modifications...etc...

BUT, I don't want another one. my dad and brother still have one each, but not me. my mrs likes minis and a lot of my mates like beetles and its for similar reason to why I like landrovers that I like those as cars (less the offroad ability bit..) but I still don't want to own any of them! but i still just don't have any love for a jelly mould car....

I had to have my say but other than that I think its each too their own! Smile

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ged, I've always said there are 2 economic ways of car ownership; buy exactly what you want brand new and keep it until it's dead or buy one in its last few years of repairable life.

Ok, most defenders leak but for the lifetime cost there is no other vehicle that will do what it does. Electronics aside a 25 year old Landy can be rebuilt to last another 25 years for a couple of weekends work and a few £000 and there are few other cars out there that you can say that about.

The fact remains that I am puzzled by how much you loathe Defenders. They're not normally a marmite and the fact that I do love my Defender but I'm also annoyed by its failings seems to annoy you even more.

I'm lucky, I can afford a £30k car but my first Landy cost me less than £6k and was like new and until someone else mashed didn't give me a seconds hassle.

Perhaps hateboy is simply the other side of the coin from fanboy Wink

bazza_413
Just got MTs

Odometer: 258

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get emotional over any car you will forgive all its failings and its deprecation, if I had spent 30k on a vehicle and had the problems you have had, my decision if I purchased another the same would be based on how the dealer helped to fix them and their general level of service and sympathy to your situation. In the last month I have fitted new rear pads and discs to 3 14 plate land rovers all sub 2000 miles due to bad design, the guy who owns them knows all their failings but puts up with it as they tick all the work boxes for his needs and he gets them with no warranty so gets a better deal. He wont drive a Land Rover on the road and uses a VW Amarok so what does that say.
All vehicles have their problems no matter what they cost or where they are made, we either drive vehicles we like, vehicles we need or vehicles we can afford.
If you took the purchase of the next vehicle on a practical points system with no emotion or preference to any particular marque you would probably have a short list of say 6 vehicles, but add in the emotion and you end up with 1.
And sometimes the best vehicle is the one you like driving and looking at no matter how much grief it gives you.
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:

Ok, most defenders leak

that statement says it all.

its the acceptance that a £30,000 plus vehicle will leak.

maybe if it was built right, it wouldnt leak? do you agree?

and the fact remains that you are now trying to justify a £30000 vehicle leaking water and corroding the electrics by saying, and i quote...

RichardD wrote:

Ok, most defenders leak

oh, well thats ok then.

RichardD wrote:

The fact remains that I am puzzled by how much you loathe Defenders. They're not normally a marmite and the fact that I do love my Defender but I'm also annoyed by its failings seems to annoy you even more.

im not annoyed.

im laughing at you.

complaining about them leaking then saying....

RichardD wrote:

Ok, most defenders leak

or, as others say.

take away the emotional attachment and tell me its ok for a £30,000 car to leak after three years.....
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:
Now you're being a prat.

Landrover don't make any such claim and there is a very good reason why any car is made and remains popular for over 60 years. The far eastern crapwagons are cheap because they are ugly, slow and destined for the scrapyard in under 10 years. No matter how much you try to justify your choices your car is a cheap, nasty ugly copy of the most basic 'technology' left over from the bottom of the barrel left over from what the rest of the world has progressed from. If that suits you then fine but stop protesting how much you loathe defenders, it's getting embarrassing.

For all their faults landies last for decades and remain true to their design brief after all this time. It is a practical design that works well when compared with similar vehicles - commercials. It is not, nor does it pretend to be a landcruisers.

Today I looked at shoguns and landcruisers and when compared to the Discovery they are cheaper for a very good reason, they are simply not as good. Would I spend that kind of money on a passenger car? Nope, but you should be careful about confusing idiosyncratic choices for stupidity.

83.5% residual value after 2.5 years. No matter the reason, that is cheap motoring.

Now Richard - I've been avoiding this post I feel for you and hear what you're saying but now YOU are slagging off every other marque except for the great Landrover.

Richard it ain't great - it's a disgrace to British engineering, it is a conglomeration of cheaply made parts made by a workforce that never cared, it is the only vehicle in the world that rots out completely and still keeps a high resale value - why? nothing to do with Landrover - just the idiots that are willing to pay out lots of money for something that, unfortunately never was.

You mention Discovery besides Shogun - if it wasn't for the Shogun there would have never been a Discovery - the Shogun arrived in this country and cut into Landrover's market so much that they panicked and bunged another shell on the Range Rover chassis and running gear, furnished with bits and pieces left over from the Avenger and Sherpa.

You want to know why the Landrover is still around in such numbers? It's simply because these Landrovers don't have an original part left on them - they've all been replaced.

I hope, after this post, Richard that you never have the gall to complain about anyone knocking the Landrover again - rather than accuse anyone else of being a prat I think you need to look to yourself!
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theses not much to add, except that ive just been outside and checked my £500, end of life, bottom of the barrel, left over, slow, ugly, technologically backward, embarrassingly basic crapwagon jelly mould and despite the piddling down rain, it still isnt leaking.

but then, i dont expect it to...

goodnight.
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to simplify the forum for new users we should dump the little used technical sections and replace with a petty squabbles section.
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynic-al wrote:
I think to simplify the forum for new users we should dump the little used technical sections and replace with a petty squabbles section.

Laughing Laughing

winchman
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2757

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpajun wrote:
RichardD wrote:
Now you're being a prat.

Now Richard - I've been avoiding this post I feel for you and hear what you're saying but now YOU are slagging off every other marque except for the great Landrover.

Richard it ain't great - it's a disgrace to British engineering, it is a conglomeration of cheaply made parts made by a workforce that never cared, it is the only vehicle in the world that rots out completely and still keeps a high resale value - why? nothing to do with Landrover - just the idiots that are willing to pay out lots of money for something that, unfortunately never was.

You mention Discovery besides Shogun - if it wasn't for the Shogun there would have never been a Discovery - the Shogun arrived in this country and cut into Landrover's market so much that they panicked and bunged another shell on the Range Rover chassis and running gear, furnished with bits and pieces left over from the Avenger and Sherpa.

You want to know why the Landrover is still around in such numbers? It's simply because these Landrovers don't have an original part left on them - they've all been replaced.

I hope, after this post, Richard that you never have the gall to complain about anyone knocking the Landrover again - rather than accuse anyone else of being a prat I think you need to look to yourself!

Well that made me smile!
Personally I feel there are only two good value 4x4s at the moment 300TDI disco or an old Vitara, both are good value and keep going.
Of course if I could afford a £30,000 car it would be an easy choice £1000 for an old Disco £1000 under the bed for future repairs and the rest on a holiday.

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynic-al wrote:

are we allowed to keep the "blinded by nostalgia" section?
jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had Land Rovers on the farm for as long as I can remember (and that's a long time) so I can say categorically they only leak when it's raining! A typical day would involve loading/unloading anything from feed to logs to piles of all sorts of **** and getting in and out dozens of times. If it was raining your wet weather gear would get wet (surprise, surprise) and dump half a cloud full of rain all over the inside of the Land Rover every time you got back in. This never happened on a dry sunny day although the inside could still be soggy from the day before. We maintained them properly and they never gave any significant problems and they did what we wanted them to do and they lasted well despite being worked hard and earning their keep.

Fortunately all that hard graft is done by someone else now and I drive one of those posh "Chelsea Tractor" type Land Rovers. It's good on and off road but I wouldn't fill it with a pile of horse ****.

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: