Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

What, exactly, is the offence?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 10758

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: What, exactly, is the offence? Reply with quote

Hi,

We have moved into our new home, and park in the front garden which requires us to drive accross the pavement. I keep reading that this is an offence, but cannot find what the offence is.

What I have found is that cars can only be driven on the road, except ...

... when driving onto land, up to 15 metres, but only for the purpose of parking, or,

... to access property that they have the legal right to enter.

I can find no reference to a law that prevents bumping over a kerb. but plenty of advice from local authorities saying it is an offence, but without specifying what offence. They claim it might damage underground services.

There is a street in Tottenham (London) with signs saying that parking on the pavement IS allowed, one side or the other, on alternate days.

In Glynneath, the footpaths are frequently cleaned by one of those little sweeper trucks driving on the pavement.

And in my present street, which is rather narrow so parking on one side only with double yellows on my side, I suspect that the dust-cart and anything bigger than a LWB Transit will need to mount the kerb to get round the corners. I imagine that a fire engine would have to drive onto the footpath. It is a one-way street, so reversing out is not an option.

Can anyone point me to the relevent legislation.

It is an RTA offence for an HGV to park on a grass verge without authority, so I assume that the same applies to kerbs/pavements.

mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3096

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offence is CROSSING the pavement in a vehicle unless there is a dropped kerb. Should you park in your garden without a dropped kerb, then anybody can park on the road and legally block your entrance/ exit.

Should you pay to have the kerb dropped. Then Nobody, including yourself can park there.

I had to pay to have my kerb dropped where I live after being threatened by the police for not having a dropped kerb.

Your local council should be able to advise you under their by laws.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reply.

<<< The offence is CROSSING the pavement in a vehicle unless there is a dropped kerb. >>>

Is that offence specifically mentioned in the RTA? I have tried all sorts of ways of wording the question on Google, but have come up with nothing other than that parking on pavement is no longer a matter for the police.

Following your reply, I have tried several combinations of ******* County Bylaw, and ********* (town) Bylaw, both with driving on, and parking on, footpath. "NO ANSWER!" was the stern reply ... well, nothing relevent.

I am happy to apply for, and pay (£2000) for a dropped kerb, but the county rules say that permission MAY be refused if my house already has a vehicle access. What does MAY mean? WILL be refused, or MIGHT be refused? My front access is by bumping over the kerb, Rear access is ON FOOT ONLY, although neighbours do not have this restriction on their Land Register. ??? So it's OK for them to park MY car in MY rear garden?

I understand that nobody may block your exit from your drive, but they can block you from driving in.

mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 602

I came accoss this in the middle 1980's. I was having an entrance blocked. When the police arrive I was threatened with a NIP for crossing the 12" footpath that didn't really exist. So I asked Stockton on Tees coulcil to drop the kerb for me, which they did.
A year or so later the footpath at the front of the house was going to be re-laid. We all got letters from the council saying that if we had a front entrance with no dropped kerb, then the council would provide a dropped kerk at a discount ? They letter also read that if the kerb wasn't dropped, then anybody driving over the pavement to reach their garage, parking area would be prosecuted for driving over the pavement.
Now.
If somebody here parkes on the pavement causing an obstruction, NOTHING is done about it.

Double standards in my view.

jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 602,

I understand "MAY" to mean the council could if they chose not approve your request for a dropped kerb if you already have vehicular access to your property but as you don't then they would need another reason not to approve it. They may as a condition of granting approval impose certain conditions relating to drainage and flood prevention. Drainage is easy and regulations about paving gardens allow for that so any competent/legal contractor would see to that. As you are not too near the River Nene (I assume you are now in BL) this should not present a problem.

If you are at BL then youv'e just missed the Billing Land Rover show but you are close to the LRO show at Peterborough in September. Next year, either the first or the last weekend in July have a look at the Hollowell Steam Rally.

J
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JoJo,

Yeah, now in BL.

Other houses in the road have dropped kerbs. I live at No.22. Nos.20 and 24 have dropped kerbs, Nos 24 and 28 don't. No.28 has a garage at rear ... she was visited by a bloke from the council following a neighbourly complaint about a visitor's car parked in her front garden.

Application for permission to drop kerb is going in today. I assume that I have the right to appeal if it is refused?

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops,

Dyslexic finger. No.26 has dropped kerb (three cars wide) and a garage. No.24 doesn't.

Twiss
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6438

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, the offense that you would be committing is "driving elsewhere than a road"

Same as what you get for driving along a public right of way in a vehicle when it's a footpath, bridleway or RUPP.

I got done for it once when me and a friend got lost in the snow... ended up going to court and having to pay £20

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Twiss"]As far as I am aware, the offense that you would be committing is "driving elsewhere than a road"
]

So please explain to me and others the difference to driving over a pavement to get into a property and driving along a pavement to park on the pavement.
In both cases the vehicle will be on the pavement.

Twiss
Mud Obsessed

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on the gov.uk website it says:

Quote:
You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & RTA 1988 sect 34

You are gaining lawful access to your property so there should be no problem.
In this case the 15 yard (not metres!) rule should apply.

The RTA section 34 has this to say:

Quote:
It is not an offence under this section to drive a mechanically propelled vehicle on any land within fifteen yards of a road, being a road on which a motor vehicle may lawfully be driven, for the purpose only of parking the vehicle on that land.

I was led to believe that the drop kerb does not necessarily mean that you cannot park there, but it is illegal to block a drop kerb in front of somebody's property without their permission.
As such, parking tickets should not be given for such drop kerbs, unless they are double yellow lined as well.

I know of a few people (including my neighbour) who have knocked their front walls down to park there, but because the local council won't put the drop kerbs in for nothing, people are still within their right to park at the kerb and block them in!

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
Twiss
Mud Obsessed

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this from the Highways act... bit outdated though!

This is from the 1835 version, but it was updated in 1888 to include tricycled and velocipedes (whatever that is!)
I reckon this is the law that the council are referring to... but should blatantly be superseded by the RTA.

You know what councils are like though, they love antiquated laws that were rendered irrelevant decades ago.

Personally I would go to court and argue it. I reckon you could get away with it!

Quote:
Penalty on persons committing nuisances by riding on footpaths, &c.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F1 If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon;. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F2; every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [F3level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby.

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am assuming that I am entitled to drive on a footpath to gain lawful access to my property.

My specific query is ... what is the offence of driving over the footpath when the kerb has not been dropped?

It is not "driving other than on the road", as the exception above applies, unless the lack of a dropped kerb means access is not lawfull.

absquatulation
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1922

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but I would assume that there is no offence, but........ It doesn't stop someone from blocking the entrance and you either in or out.
mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twiss.
My access is in a 12foot wide back lane.
There isn't really a footpath that you can walk along as it's less than 12" wide from my gates. The kerb wasn't dropped but I was threatend with prosecution by the police when trying to access my property.

Twiss
Mud Obsessed

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w3526602 wrote:

My specific query is ... what is the offence of driving over the footpath when the kerb has not been dropped?

Its the law I posted above from the highways act... not sure what the actual offense would be called though

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This from Stevenage but the law is national - hope it helps Wink

Replace any phone numbers and council references with the details of your council

Quote:

Dropped kerbs and carriage crossings

The terms "dropped kerb" and "carriage crossing" are often used interchangeably. Strictly speaking, dropped kerbs can be any lowering of the kerb, whereas carriage crossings are both the physical lowering of the kerb and a permission to allow a vehicle to cross the public footway.

Requests for dropped kerbs for pedestrian access should be made directly to our Engineering Services section on 01438 242295.
Why you may need a carriage crossing

The Highways Act 1980, Section 184, makes it an offence to drive a vehicle across a footway or verge where there is no proper vehicle crossover. It also allows for the Highway Authority (or its Agent - in this case Stevenage Borough Council) to arrange for a vehicle crossover to be constructed at the expense of the applicant.

Any person who drives a motor vehicle across the pavement or verge without an authorised and properly constructed carriage crossing could cause damage to the surface and kerb, and any underground service cables or pipelines laid beneath the surface. The person responsible for causing the damage would be liable for the cost of repairs.
Will you need Planning Permission?

If you are also constructing a parking pad on your property you may also need Planning Permission.

New legislation introduced by the Government that came into force on 1 October 2008 requires residents who wish to construct a parking pad in their front garden greater than 5 square metres in area, to either use a permeable form of construction, or obtain Planninng Permission from the Council.

This legislation was introduced to reduce the risk of flooding by allowing more water to soak away into people's gardens.

The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) publishes guidance on permeable surfaces. Engineering services may also be able to provide some guidance (contact details on the right).

In any case, Planning Permission will also be required if:

the property involved has a frontage directly on to a classified road, designated as A, B or C, (if unsure, you can check this with Engineering Services)
the property involved is a listed building

For more information please see our Planning Permission pages.
Before applying for a carriage crossing

To prevent disappointment please consider the following before applying for a carriage crossing:

Is the front garden at least 5 metres in length measured from the back edge of footway?
If it is less than 5 metres, approval cannot be given, because the footway is likely to be obstructed by the overhang of a parked vehicle, causing a hazard to a pedestrian.

Does the property already have a carriage crossing?
Approval for a second carriage crossing to a single property will not normally be approved unless a highway safety improvement or benefit can be demonstrated.

Is the slope of the garden more steep than 1 in 10?
If so, retaining walls might need to be constructed so that the parking pad will be more level.

Have you checked whether planning permission is required, and received it?
If required, we cannot proceed until planning permission given. (see above for advice)

Is the location of the proposed crossing close to a road junction or in a location likely to cause an obstruction to the visibility of another driver or pedestrian?
We will need to know this, as this could have an impact on the carriage crossing.

Will any street lighting columns or telegraph poles need to be relocated to avoid obstruction of the proposed crossing?
We will need to know this, as this could have an impact on the carriage crossing.

The provisions of Section 184 of the Highways Act 1980, which empowers the Highway Authority to arrange for a vehicle crossover to be constructed on behalf of an applicant, applies only to highway land and the applicant’s own property. If the carriage crossing passes over non highway land which is owned by the Council, the applicant will need to apply to the Council’s Estates Services Section for an easement to obtain the right to drive a vehicle over the land between the public highway and their own property. The applicant will be required to obtain the easement and pay all costs involved prior to the construction of the crossover.

Where the non-highway land is not owned by the Council, the applicant will be required to provide written evidence to the Council that the land owner has given the applicant unconditional permission to drive over the private land for the purposes of parking a vehicle within the boundary of their own property.

Gates fitted across the vehicle entrance to a property must not in any circumstances open outwards across the footway or carriageway. If necessary the gates may need to be set back sufficiently to allow a vehicle to park in front whilst the gates are being opened.
How to apply

Please contact Engineering Services to ask for any more information, or to request application form. Unfortunately online application is not yet available.

An initial non-refundable survey fee is required. For this fee, staff from Engineering Services will check the viability of the proposal to ensure that the criteria specified by the Highway Authority has been met. If the application is approved a written quotation for the construction work will be sent to the applicant.
How carriage crossings are built

The Council carries out this work on behalf of the Highway Authority, Hertfordshire County Council, under a Highways Agency Agreement, which requires the Council to comply with the highway design standards and specifications prescribed by them.

Work on the public highway to construct carriage crossings must be carried out by the County Council’s nominated road works Contractors, who undertake all of the County Council’s work on the highway, and have the necessary experience and public liability insurance for this function.

Supervision of the construction of carriage crossings is carried out by staff from Engineering Services, and is included in the cost of the works that are paid for by the resident making the application.

The finished surface of the proposed carriage crossing will match the finish of the existing footway, ie. normally either blacktop or concrete. This will be taken into account by the Council when preparing the estimate.

NOTE: the provision of a carriage crossing by the Council only gives the occupier of the premises the right to drive a private motor vehicle across the public footway in order to gain access to the property. The carriage crossing itself remains part of the public highway, and from the date that the crossing is completed the Highway Authority is responsible for its maintenance.

Twiss
Mud Obsessed

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI here is section 184 from the highways act... my favourite bit is at the bottom

For £20 I'd just drive over the kerb! Wink

Quote:
If a person knowingly uses a footway or verge as a crossing in contravention of any condition imposed under subsection (1)(b) above, or knowingly permits it to be so used, he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding £20 or, in the case of a second or subsequent offence, to a fine not exceeding £50.

The rest:

Quote:
184 Vehicle crossings over footways and verges.

(1)Where the occupier of any premises adjoining or having access to a highway maintainable at the public expense habitually takes or permits to be taken a mechanically propelled vehicle across a kerbed footway or a verge in the highway to or from those premises, the highway authority for the highway may, subject to subsection (2) below, serve a notice on the owner and the occupier of the premises—
(a)stating that they propose to execute such works for the construction of a vehicle crossing over the footway or verge as may be specified in the notice; or
(b)imposing such reasonable conditions on the use of the footway or verge as a crossing as may be so specified.
(2)A highway authority is not entitled by virtue of subsection (1) above to construct a vehicle crossing on, or on any part of, the site of a made-up vehicle crossing which has been constructed either under this section or under section 40 of the M1Highways Act 1971 (which this section replaces) or before the commencement of the said section 40, or to impose conditions on the use of such a crossing.
(3)Where any land is being, or is to be, developed in accordance with a planning permission granted, or deemed to have been granted, under [F1the Town and Country Planning Act 1990], and it appears to the highway authority for a highway maintainable at the public expense that the development makes it necessary—
(a)to construct a crossing over a kerbed footway or a verge in the highway so as to provide an access for mechanically propelled vehicles to or from the carriageway of the highway from or to premises adjoining or having access to the highway; or
(b)to improve or otherwise alter a made-up vehicle crossing that provides such an access as is mentioned in paragraph (a) above (whenever constructed),that authority may serve on the owner and the occupier of the premises a notice stating that they propose to execute such works for the construction or, as the case may be, alteration of the crossing as may be specified in the notice.
(4)Unless the development giving rise to a notice under subsection (3) above consists solely of the provision of a new means of access to or from a highway from or to premises, there may be specified in a notice under that subsection works for the construction as part of the vehicle crossing proposed to be constructed or altered, as the case may be, of acceleration and deceleration lanes.
(5)In determining whether to exercise their powers under subsection (1) or (3) above, a highway authority shall have regard to the need to prevent damage to a footway or verge, and in determining the works to be specified in a notice under subsection (1)(a) or (3) an authority shall have regard to that and the following other matters, namely—
(a)the need to ensure, so far as practicable, safe access to and egress from premises; and
(b)the need to facilitate, so far as practicable, the passage of vehicular traffic in highways.
(6)Schedule 14 to this Act has effect with respect to the making of objections to a notice under subsection (1) or (3) above and to the date on which such a notice becomes effective.
(7)Where a notice under subsection (1)(a) or (3) above has become effective, the highway authority by whom the notice was served may execute such works as are specified in the notice, subject to such modifications (if any) as may have been made by the Minister, and may recover the expenses reasonably incurred by them in so doing from the owner or occupier of the premises in question.
(CoolA notice under subsection (1) or (3) above shall inform the person on whom it is served of his right to object to the notice and (except in the case of a notice under subsection (1)(b)) shall state the effect of subsection (7) above.
(9)Where a person who is carrying out, or proposes to carry out, such a development as is referred to in subsection (3) above offers to execute the works specified in a notice under that subsection, the highway authority by whom the notice was served may authorise him to execute those works in accordance with plans approved by them.F2. . .
(10)If a person authorised under subsection (9) above to execute any works fails to execute them to the satisfaction of the highway authority before the development is completed, the authority may execute the works or alter the works executed by that person and recover the expenses reasonably incurred by them in so doing from him.
(11)Any person may request the highway authority for a highway maintainable at the public expense to execute such works as are specified in the request for constructing a vehicle crossing over a footway or verge in the highway, and the authority may approve the request with or without modification, or may propose alternative works or reject the request; and in determining how to exercise their powers under this subsection an authority shall have regard to the matters mentioned in subsection (5) above.
(12)An authority to whom a request under subsection (11) above is made shall notify the person making the request of their decision and if they approve, with or without modification, the works proposed in the request or propose alternative works, they shall supply him with a quotation of the cost of the works as approved or proposed by them, and he may, on depositing with them the amount quoted, require them to execute those works.
(13)As soon as practicable after such a deposit has been made with an authority the authority shall execute the works as approved or proposed by them.
F3(14). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
(15)The expenses recoverable under subsection (7) or (10) above and the cost of the works for the purposes of subsection (12) above include [F4the cost of any measures needing to be taken in relation to undertaker’s apparatus, in accordance with section 84 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991,] in consequence of the construction of the crossing.
(16)Nothing in this section imposes on any person other than a highway authority any obligation to maintain a vehicle crossing.
(17)If a person knowingly uses a footway or verge as a crossing in contravention of any condition imposed under subsection (1)(b) above, or knowingly permits it to be so used, he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding £20 or, in the case of a second or subsequent offence, to a fine not exceeding £50.

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re dropped kerbs
The roadway and pavement should already be constructed to highway standards so the cost of installing a dropped kerb should be reasonable, ie in the low £00s. The cost for me to do the crossover from my field track to the verge of the road (not the road itself which is further away) 5m x 2m is ~£7,500 plus vat. Clearly it will be a while before I can afford that!

Twiss
Mud Obsessed

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hire a jackhammer, dig up the kerb while nobody is looking Wink

And richard... £3k of that £7,500 will probably cover the safety briefing
£500 will cover the wages of the 2 guys actually doing the work, and the other £3k will be spent on some more staff who are paid to look like they are doing some work.

That seems to be how my local council works...

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twiss
My local authority does not get its hands dirty. The work can only be done by private contractors and £7500 is the cheapest I can get.

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a shovel.......
Twiss
Mud Obsessed

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get out there GED you could have £7500 of Richard's money in your pocket Wink
www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, ill just delay my trip to the canaries and rush up there
Twiss
Mud Obsessed

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a lot of canaries for £7500 Wink
www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but........ It doesn't stop someone from blocking the entrance and you either in or out.

Hi,

No, but the double yellow outside my house should discourage them.

The footpath has already been dug up along the length of the road, presumably to lay cables or pipes, so at some time, it is going to have to be relaid at some time, at public expense, unless I pay for it first.

IF I do any damage to the surface or kerb, I will pay for it .... at the same time as I pay for a dropped kerb and stronger footpath.

Assuming my car weighs 1000kg, thats 250kg on each tyre. Would they prosecute me if I push a laden wheel barrow across the pavement? It shouldn't be difficult if the handles were extended, and I fitted an 8-ply tyre. Twisted Evil I wonder if I could carry 75kg in each hand? Add that to my 100kg SPAM, and there's your quarter ton, And if I borrowed SWMBO's 6" stilleto heels .......

602 PS, I have carried two full Jerry cans in each hand, and I doubt that that was anything special.

jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w3526602 wrote:
And if I borrowed SWMBO's 6" stilleto heels .......

Please don't - but if you do be sure to dress accordingly and get some pics and post them here!!! (It would also go down well in BL!)

Re the Dropped Kerb (which I always thought was called a crossover). I think the only certain and legal way to do it is via the council. It might cost a few bob but if a job is worth doing then do it proper.

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: