Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Rebuilding Defender 90 CSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stable
Articulating

Odometer: 828

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Pete
My initial plan was to rebuild it as original. It will be, except that I have pushed the boat out a bit and painted suspension and steering bars to match the body colour. Embarassed

I will keep on posting pictures of progress, but I think it will take some time. I work long hours, so getting anything done of an evening is difficult. Last weekend I was involved in running a beer festival. Great fun, but didn't get much done. This weekend I am going to Bristol (I live North of Newcastle) for a friends 50th, so nothing will get done this weekend at all. The time is flying by!
Not a lot of time, but last weekend I managed to get more suspension and steering bits on.

I also got the steering box on, having been cleaned, rubbed down and painted black. You can't really see it in this picture, but I could then get the drag link, damper, panhard rod on.

Next job is to jack the chassis rails apart to get the gear box cross member in. Clean the engine down. possibly paint gear and transfer boxes. Drop the engine in.
(pete)
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5806

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah painting parts is no issue they look the business it's, tasteful upgrades and will complement it when done kinda like landrover should have built it that way in the first place

Your just throwing party's and beer festivals to keep me waiting Laughing no fair

You should put this in the custom builds bud well worth a full build post that can be kept post free ya never know it could get groomed for a magazine feature Wink

stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the gear box cross member in tonight. Very tight fit, but jacked the rails apart.

I then had to use the trolley jack to force it too, cos it was so tight.

Pete, I might put a series of pics in the custom build section when it's all finished. A quick look showed a lot of people doing that. [/img]

Last edited by stable on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I updated this thread and I have been busy, so here are a few pics of progress so far.
After I got the gear box cross member in I could get the engine back in place. Using the old gearbox cross member as a lifting beam!

It was a lot harder to get back in than get out.

The new bulkhead arrived. So I popped it on to see what it looked like.

New neighbour moved in and guess what he drives?

Very Happy
The bulkhead has since been T washed and is in the garage painted a very dull etch primer grey.

I've spent countless hours rubbing down and repairing body panels. I've got loads of pictures, but here is a before and after of the inside of a wing.

The rear door was completely shot. The front doors I suppose might have been repairable with an enormous amount of time and effort. I decided to buy three new Britpart ones. They are not that expensive, but you get what you pay for. So, I peeled the aluminium skins off and had the steel frames shot blast and plastic coated. This is far more hard wearing than powder coating and should keep the steel off the aluminium for a long time. I then painted the bare inside of the aluminium skins before I fitted them back on. I sealed them on properly though, with Sikaflex. Then I filled the inside of the frames with Dinitrol cavity wax.
This is one of the skins showing the thin line of adhesive and bare aluminium.

This is one of the frames after being plastic coated.

The frames after being filled with Dinitrol

One of the frames having the sealant applied around the edges and holes ready for the skin to go back.

A finished door.

Stripped the brake calipers down to get the shot blasted and powder coated. One piston in a rear caliper beat me, so just got the front ones done.

I've got stainless pistons to go in them. I had to buy new rear calipers.

I have done a load of work on the tub and will post pics in a later update.
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, lovely.

I'm looking at a challenge truck (1988 300tdi trayback) that I'm thinking about buying (for a very reasonable amount - the cost of all the good mechanical bits) and then patching the chassis to keep it running for the next year. After that I'll be going down the galvo chassis route and I fancy a stealth road legal 'challenge' machine.

The car will cost me £5k up and running and I'll need another £5k to rebuild it ... or use it as a donor vehicle - too many options.

Keep the pics coming, it'll start to look complete very quickly now.

stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Richard.
Have you done a rebuild before? Your budget sounds Ok, but I thought my Landy was in good nick before I started. Unfortunately, I've spent nearly that already and the paint job has to be added.
Shocked
The costs mount up so quickly!
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've done a rebuild or two.
Winnet
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 14725

1985 Land Rover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of them were even quite good......

G

All these questions and more after the tea break.
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have spent some cash then Rolling Eyes
I've got all of my receipts, just haven't added them up yet!
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winnet wrote:
Some of them were even quite good......

G

and 1 or 2 have been shocking

stable wrote:
You must have spent some cash then Rolling Eyes
I've got all of my receipts, just haven't added them up yet!

rule 1. Once you've reached your budget stop counting!

I have, at the last count, completed 9 or 10 complete rebuilds/restorations. Most have eventually sold for about half to 3/4 of what they cost and 3 sold for several times what they cost me (all excluding my time of course). If I add in the cars I have owned and tarted up that number goes up to possibly 30. At one point in my 20s I changed cars every 6 months and did each car up to make a moderate profit and trade up only to lose the lot on a pup!

If I had saved the money I would be much richer but far less happy now. I still get a huge kick out of anything mechanical and especially making things work properly that others wouldn't even look at.

That Challenge truck I'm considering .... I do want it but I don't think I can afford it. Solution? Play with the figures until I can justify spending the cash and then lie through my teeth about how much it actually cost Laughing Laughing

stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
rule 1. Once you've reached your budget stop counting!

This is my first rebuild and I have followed your rule 1 perfectly Smile

I didn't so much have a fixed budget, but I had a figure in my head that I kept thinking 'it can't cost any more than that'. I'm pretty sure I have sailed straight past that estimate now. One day, once its back together and running again, I'll add all the receipts up. Until then, I'll keep juggling the figures and lie to myself about how much it's costing. Laughing
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for not updating this thread sooner.

My rebuild project was wrapped up over the winter as I am working on the drive only. You could only fit a Fiat 500 in the garage!

I've been busy though.

Having spent donkeys hours on the body, including rebuilding the tub.

I eventually got it sent off to the paintshop and when it came back it was all shiny
Smile

Started to transfer the door mechanisms to the new doors. Some brackets missing, so I had to make some. The window runners were rotten, so I've sent off for some new ones.

Got the refurbished calipers on and new discs. and most of the brake lines.

Got the bulkhead on and started fitting in the main wiring loom, only to discover I'd been sold a 200TDi bulkhead instead of a 300TDi Crying or Very sad

I think the main things will fit, but tapped holes for relays, sockets etc are not in the right place.

Got the dash all wired up and sockets connected in the engine bay.

Then got all the pedals fitted with home made gaskets to try and keep my feet dry Shocked

Cleaned and retaped the rear loom and managed to get it pulled through the chassis rail.

Now refurbishing the rear windows, rubbed down frames and painted then fitted glass with new runners and felt. Only done one so far. Works well though.
[img:a760e0dcaa]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag369/copperslip/DSC_0197_zpswm2tikyy.jpg[/img:a760e0dcaa]

Next stage I reckon will be to get the tub on and adjust the bulkhead on it's brackets to get the doors to fit. It'll have to stop raining first though. Sad
excossack
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2903

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very nice so far. Any chance of a picture looking down the top of the bulkhead (passanger side to drivers side)?
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you after seeing? I'll take a picture specifically, if you let me know. Don't really get what you mean. Might take until late Wednesday, as it's due to rain here until then.
excossack
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking down the top of the bulkhead where the windscreen frame sits would be helpful.
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this one any good for you, mate? I know it's from the drivers side, but it's the only one looking downish for now. It's still lashing down here and I don't want to get the tarps off as a lot of the electrics are still exposed.
excossack
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats fine thanks.. I didnt realise there was that much metal sticking up from the top of the bulkhead. Might be for the top dash mount.
If you do get time for a picture the other way/side then excellent but don't soak the electrics on my request.

stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is for the top dash mount. You can see a recess in it, just below the wheel on the neighbours car, that's where the heater vent fits in.
I should be able to get a picture from the other side tomorrow as the rain is forecast to stop! Shocked Why is the picture from the passenger side so important?
All going well, I'll get more of the body on.
excossack
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because thats a bit of the bulkhead I need to repair or get reapaired, that and the front sloping bit down towards the bonnet.
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first three pics are for excossack.

Today didn't see as much progress as I had hoped for. I had problems with the seat belt brackets under the tub and so had to modify them, which is a pain because they are galvanised.
Anyway, got the tub on.

The underside has been painted with black stone chip and then the wheel arches painted the body colour red. But, before I put it on I put Dinitrol through the tubular sections and the inside bits of the wheel arches. (The faces you won't be able to see when looking in to the wheel arch past the wheels.

Unfortunately, rain stopped play after that.
excossack
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures stable they really help.
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a few more big bits on, which makes it look like loads of progress has been made. Smile
Sides on

Windscreen frame on.

Roof on.

I was hoping to use the existing seals above the rear window frames, but they are not in good enough condition so I'll have to order some more.
Concentrating on further door refurbishments next.
fixit
Just got MTs

Odometer: 387

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats looking good
like a rebuilds they take more time and money than anticipated

And there are long periods of hard work that look like no progress is made than all of a sudden it comes together in leaps and bounds

I bet you getting itchy for a drive now
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly is taking a bit more time and a hell of a lot more money than anticipated.
Yes, I must admit the thought of being able to drive it off up the street is killing me.
Spent months working on the body with nothing apparently happening. Neighbours started saying 'have you given up then'? I tried many times to explain that I had never stopped working on it, but because they couldn't see anything happening they just did't get it.

Hopefully, it will be finished before the winter.
fixit
Just got MTs

Odometer: 387

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that a lot of people seem to give up when the going gets slow. And all the enthusiasm ebbs away.

Its easy to keep going when the larger bit are happening.

But then the important parts that matter and are never seen are going on like the wiring,brake pipes,cleaning and repairing all the fiddly bits it wears them down.As it wasnt what they signed up for and beats them.

Your on the home straight now and you have down a cracking job!
But the truth of the matter is it will only total be appiciated for what it is by a few people that have done it thereself as well Wink

And when your finished it will be better than when it left the factory by the looks of it
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, fixit. Yes, it's looking quite good, but if I was to do another one there are many things I could improve.
Been away on holiday and so not a lot done since last post. I've made some brackets to hold relays and connector blocks that were missing from the new galv bulkhead.
I'm working indoors at the moment on the front doors! I'm transferring the lock mechanisms, but I'm also going to create a water guide system to channel the water inside the door via pipes directly to outside. This is to stop water lying in the frame at the bottom of the door.
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done quite a bit since the last post, but it doesn't really show.
The last picture showed the roof on, but the bulkhead geometry wasn't set up and that took a day and a half to do.
Took three washers in one side and none in the other. Lot's of faffing about with the bulkhead footwell to chassis brackets too.

Shut lines have turned out well, for a Landy Wink

Had already spent a lot of time rubbing down and painting the seat box. Fitted a new YRM battery box. Much lighter than the original steel one which was beyond reasonable repair.

Temporarily fitted it in to the Landy to get the new bolt holes marked out and drilled in to the tub and the galved inner sills set in place.

With the bulkhead bolted in it's final place I could bolt an inner and outer wing together and offer it up to the body.

Was looking ok, so I temporarily put an eyebrow in (You can just see it's propped up with a spanner)

Still lots to do.
craigderby
Just got MTs

Odometer: 119

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking fantastic. Keep up the good work Very Happy
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, propping that wing in place for a quick look turned out to be a bit premature. What I thought would be half an hour per wing turned out to be hours. New bulkhead, new chassis, new inner wings meant nothing lined up.

A year ago I'd cleaned the radiator surround, rust treated it and painted it. Pinpoints of rust were beginning to show and so I got the surround and some other brackets shot blasted and galvanised.

Fitting the rear seat belt to chassis brackets.

I nearly got the windscreen in. So close!

Put the rear door on, but it's not at the right height because I can't get the bottom door seal and thresh on, or the door won't close.

Every job seems to be problematic. Nothing is straight forward Sad

Very slowly getting there. Just hoping I can get it more or less done before winter sets in.
stable
Articulating

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've posted, which is poor form I know. However, here's an update of progress since last post.
Refurbed a lot of stuff like the headlights and seats.

Got the back lined out with sound insulation (closed cell carpet underlay)

Made new carpets and got them and seats fitted in the back.

Seat box, floor plates and transmission tunnel

Then got the front seats in.

Got the rest of the dash in, but need to feed an aerial cable through still.

Got the rad, intercooler and the slam panel fitted.

Still lots to do, but getting there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Land Rover All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: