Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Big Build Time folks - Vit-Lux Little Tank - 3.0TD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Tank
Just got MTs

Odometer: 389

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Big Build Time folks - Vit-Lux Little Tank - 3.0TD Reply with quote

35" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers
100" wheelbase
Hilux axles running twin LSD's, rear disc conversion
3.0TD running intercooler and 15psi of boost
Hilux gearbox with twin transfer box
custom transmission brake
new exhaust
custom digital speedo
tubular custom wings
new twin headlights
custom bonnet with custom bonnet pod
custom removable half doors
new bucket seats
custom dash if time (maybe summer job)
custom suspension setup

build time is 2 weeks for initial fabrication time of suspension and axles and engine mounts etc. i expect the build to take 4-6weeks to finish to a high standard ready for the IVA test.

seeing as how so much of the vehicle is changing i need to register for a custom build and this also allows me to name my truck to whatever i want, so could be Scooby Doo Vit if i wanted so I'm thinking of registering as a Vit-Lux.

I'll post updates and pics each day for the next 2 weeks during the build and keep info coming etc, hopefully once finished it'll be good offroad.

Last edited by Little Tank on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it might be a 3.0td in the vit now if so here's a comparison of the engines:

Vitara engine:
77 HP @ 5350rpm
126nm torque @ 3100rpm

Hilux 2.4Td
97HP @ 3800rpm
240nm torque @ 2400rpm

Hilux 3.0TD
130HP @ 3600rpm
289nm torque @ 2000rpm

standard 3.0td runs boost at 7.4 - 9.4psi with the boost turned up to 15psi and an intercooler added the power gains can be significant, but probably not needed.

even so the 3.0td will make one hell of a difference in my truck.
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front axle stripped, spring hangers cut off and cleaned up ready for welding. New spring perches made and welded in place, test fitting of spring and wheel hub to ensure there is clearance and there's plenty of room for the steering tie rod not to foul. Time to start making brackets for the trailing arms.

Most of the brackets are now finished, welded up one side apart from the front hanger as had to go out and get milk etc and spent first part of the morning wallpapering for my parents. A full day tomorrow in the workshop should see the front axle mounts finished and the 3rd link arm mount made up aswell.
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_260
Gate Opener

Odometer: 16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice project I want to make something like it but still didn't decide which engine to use.
aniesigh
Articulating

Odometer: 795

1991 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interested to see this come together Cool
I've always wondered about the name thing when it comes to an IVA, 'tis a good opportunity to give it a cool name!
Is that 4-6 weeks of full time work or just evenings/weekends? will be good going either way! i find things always take much longer than anticipated!

new truck build thread:
http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?p=595221#595221
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aniesigh wrote:
Be interested to see this come together Cool
I've always wondered about the name thing when it comes to an IVA, 'tis a good opportunity to give it a cool name!
Is that 4-6 weeks of full time work or just evenings/weekends? will be good going either way! i find things always take much longer than anticipated!

the built time is 2 full weeks now whilst on holiday, and then I work lates and earliers, so can get 4 hours each morning one week and 6 hours the other week plus weekends.

the biggest issue will be the engine transplant.
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

few more hours in the workshop today, got both radius arm brackets mounted, started on the 3rd link tie rod, it looks like it sticks out abit but once finished and braced it wont be moving or prone to any warp issues etc, I forgot that the steering arms I used today are not the ones that will be mounted when finished, I ordered high steer arms from LowRangeOffRoad which naturally sit approximately 2" higher than standard arms. never mind though it'll still guarantee plenty of clearance on the steering tie rod.

the upper link arm is mounted 5 inches forward from the steering tie rod and will run parallel to this, i'll have to make a drop bracket from the chassis rail to the rod end to ensure things are square and correct.

I was hoping to have had more done today but my pillar drill decided to die on me and I cant get a replacement motor until at least Friday Sad grrr

cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my hat off to you, It's taken me 2 weeks to strip one axle for my conversion!
nj111
Just got MTs

Odometer: 166

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm even slower, nearly 2 years and the engine isn't even in!
Well impressed if you can get it done in few weeks!
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the front axle mounts all finished up, beefed up the front axle case with 6mm steel, I was going to brace the axle but I never bent one a fully loaded hilux so don't think it's needed to be fair so will leave it as it is for now, I might decide to add a brace later. painted it in red oxide so it don't rust whilst underneath the vit as I'm making chassis mounts Friday onwards.

I spent a couple hours stripping the vit down ready for chassis work, front end is clear and just needs the old mounts etc cut off and cleaned up ready for welding.

rear axle was dropped but left connected as didn't have to time to remove the brake lines.

I also stripped the front bonnet mount off and some other crap from the front. I shall be making a new bonnet and wings to suit the new engine plus I shall be changing the headlights to some pretty sick ones I've found.

boss
Just got MTs

Odometer: 262

1995 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to upset but I would seriously think about moving that panhard bracket closer to the axle...just a thought.

Nice build, keep it up

pm me for tube manipulation

‎2lb club hammer?......HA! my club hammer is a cut down sledge!
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boss wrote:
I don't mean to upset but I would seriously think about moving that panhard bracket closer to the axle...just a thought.

Nice build, keep it up

I would but I can't because of the steering arms, it will be braced from the side to the axle once the steering is sorted and I know where the steering shock is going.
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made up some dislocation cones today and started on the chassis brackets, lined up the axle to see what it looks like and luckily the trailing arms are 1" outside the chassis rails and this has worked out a treat for the chassis mounts as it keeps them close to the chassis rail, only 3 inch drop which will help to keep the underside flat because once the engine is fitted I know the gearbox will sit slightly lower than the vits gearbox and this means I can make a low profile gearbox mount and incorporate this into protection for the chassis trailing arm mounts at the same time.

didn't expect to get much done today as have a chesty cough and banging headache and it don't seem to wanna shift, back to making parts tomorrow. hopefully have the brackets finished tomorrow ready for welding sunday/Monday as Saturday is my 30th and is a day off the project.

boss
Just got MTs

Odometer: 262

1995 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have shortened the panhard rod. I'm sure it wouldn't have been beyond your capabilities but you've sorted it. Hope it works out for you

pm me for tube manipulation

‎2lb club hammer?......HA! my club hammer is a cut down sledge!
parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 7480

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates Question
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the slow updates, computer seems to be playing up as it wont let me on here all the time, comes up with phpb or something.

right both axles have mounts all finished and chassis mounts are finished and awaiting welding to the chassis. the front panard rod will be moved once the engine is out and will sit on top of the axle instead of out front like currently pictured.

waiting on parts is killing the build time at the moment as is frustrating as I should be further ahead than this, plus as my workshop was knocked down and is being rebuilt at the moment it means the truck is on the drive and I have to work around the rain, again another headache that is eating into build time.

I have however managed to strip the old engine bay and am waiting the delivery of a new engine hoist to lift the vits engine and gearbox out, I have also stripped the interior of the donor surf ready to cut the wiring loom to my needs. seems like a massive challenge the wiring on it's own Confused

another disappointment was I paid the money for the surf and was told it's a good runner etc and yet when it got delivered I was ****** to find out it was a 2.4TD not the 3.0TD, it'll do for now as haven't been able to find a 3.0td anywhere and when I do i'll just swap them out.

Alex_260
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the 2l-t (2.4) engine is a quite good engine and should be lighter than de 1kzt (3.0). keep us updated.
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_260 wrote:
I think that the 2l-t (2.4) engine is a quite good engine and should be lighter than de 1kzt (3.0). keep us updated.

Its not much lighter but it does suffer with headgasket issues, will see what happens though,
Alex_260
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Tank wrote:
suffer with headgasket issues

Thats also a problem in the first's gen. of the 1kzt.
jeepmadmike
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4573

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'd finish the workshop first then crack on with the vit!

Now i have gone and bought a D4!

one day i might buy a 86" series one like my dad had when i was a boy.
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeepmadmike wrote:
Think I'd finish the workshop first then crack on with the vit!

oh god if I did that I wouldn't be working on the vit for atleast 3 months as the workshop is a massive build on it's own. 60' x 30' x 10' high, and the paint both is 20' x 30' beside that and I also have a 10' x 30' sandblasting room also. then there's all the electrics to get sorted and lathe and pillar drill etc to get hooked up, I'm currently looking at water jet cutters to see if there's a sensible sized one going for sensible money but nothing found yet. the plan is to have the workshop up and running by end of the summer and to quit my normal job and open up a 4x4 garage selling trucks but also doing all kinds of mods and aftermarket stuff.
jeepmadmike
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

business sounds like a great idea - best of luck to you

i wouldn't want to go back to building stuff outside in the rain! do enough of that sort of thing for a day job!

Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the build has taken bit of a turn from what was originally planned and now I don't expect to be finished until end of may, there is a lot of body work and tube work involved is all I shall say.
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Tank wrote:
well the build has taken bit of a turn from what was originally planned and now I don't expect to be finished until end of may, there is a lot of body work and tube work involved is all I shall say.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah - least you're the same as the rest of us Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah - least you're the same as the rest of us Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing[/quote]

lol well initially keeping the body work pretty standard it would have been a quick build but after looking at it and knowing I have an sva test, I was told 80% of the body had to be different to qualify for a brand new 2014 number plate. soooo it was simples, cut it down and do what I was planning on doing later now, saves the hassle of modding the body towards end of the summer. Dancing
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

Odometer: 190

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you registering it as a new vehicle of an existing make/model or registering as a new vehicle altogether?

I'm not sure it's quite as simple as make it look a bit different and you get a new plate. It's more likely to end up on a Q plate. If it's a 'new' car i.e 2014 plate won't it need to comply to current safety/emmission regs? Something I suspect it won't on either part... Even brand new kit cars and alike which are the same as a previous one struggle to get through a full SVA test. It can fail on something as small as a sharp edge/corner - including underneath (in case you run over someone, they wouldn't want to cut themselves!).

How much have you looked into the requirements? I don't mean to rain on your parade I'm just mindful that an SVA test is no pushover.

https://www.facebook.com/ScreamerOffroad
Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclipsed4ever wrote:
Are you registering it as a new vehicle of an existing make/model or registering as a new vehicle altogether?

I'm not sure it's quite as simple as make it look a bit different and you get a new plate. It's more likely to end up on a Q plate. If it's a 'new' car i.e 2014 plate won't it need to comply to current safety/emmission regs? Something I suspect it won't on either part... Even brand new kit cars and alike which are the same as a previous one struggle to get through a full SVA test. It can fail on something as small as a sharp edge/corner - including underneath (in case you run over someone, they wouldn't want to cut themselves!).

How much have you looked into the requirements? I don't mean to rain on your parade I'm just mindful that an SVA test is no pushover.

I've spent countless hours talking to guys on a forum that deals in sva tests and also been to the test centre near me and had an in depth chat with the testers there. it could be a Q plate if they deem the chassis to be to standard but because that is now being chopped just in front the bulkhead and behind the seats and having custom chassis rails added, the 3 testers think it'll be classed as a new chassis not a heavily modded one. and because I'm only keeping the window frame and doors with door frame and the rest is being made new it also in there eyes qualifies as a new body shell build. the final say comes down to dvla headoffice though rather than the testers although there recommendation is put forward to dvla. and with regards to the 2014 regs it doesn't have the same rules as manufactured cars of 10 or more, so is treated differently. the emissions will go from the year the engine was manufactured, as for safety i.e body and underneath etc, that's a grey area that the testers didn't even know but I have someone from dvla head office finding out about this as even there unsure and they will get back to me within 4 weeks. it's a lot of paper work to fill out and forms etc, a right headache but keeping on top of it isn't to bad.
jeepmadmike
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVA has been the IVA for some time or has it changed again? It seems to have killed the kit car industry, but with some of the things people used to build that isn't a bad thing!

I'm sure it's possible to get something to pass if you've done your homework and built it to a high standard.

Where are the test centers now the DVLA are closing all there offices?

I think you might get a new reg number if it where a new chassis rather than a modified one.

Little Tank
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The axle is on and after measuring up and some maths I have plenty of room for 44's

So it'll run on 40's or 44's during road use and for comps I'll change the tyres to 35's.

Once the front end body work and tube work is done this is gonna be bad ass Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: