Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Screamer 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

Odometer: 190

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Screamer 2 Reply with quote

Well this is the start of my second Eurotrialler. Screamer has been very successful for me and I'm very pleased with it's performance. I have learnt a lot about what works and what doesn't during the what is now, over 3 year build.

Screamer started as an independent suspension build which had mixed results. After a lot of fiddling around I eventually changed to a live axle design with custom axles built from the same drivetrain. Since then I've had virtually no problems with the axles at all therefore it's a similar idea I'm going for this time... although hopefully a little more refined.

Engine wise screamer copes with the 39.5" tyres OK but does suffer with bottom end torque. Once I get to the higher rpm it pulls fine, but bottom end really needs improvement. The 2.2 fitted to screamer produces 200bhp and 150ft/lb (ish) with peaks up and around 6000rpm+.

Reliability is number 1 priority and as I'm a massive fan of Honda motors, I'll be using the 3.0lr V6 from a Honda Accord. The engine weighs around 30kg more than the 2.2 and produces a similar 200bhp, but a much healthier 205ft/lb at a much more usable 3500rpm ish. It also a normal orientation with the gearbox being on the passenger side which will allow for easier engine swaps in the future if for some reason I have to change.

Anyway, the basic specs:
Single seater
Hydraulic 4 Wheel Steer
Custom portal-esk axles as per Screamer
Honda Accord 3.0lr V6 auto
Rear engine setup
Approx 96-98" wheelbase
39.5" Iroks
Ground clearance approx 20"

Primarily I'm aiming the truck to directly replace screamer, another trialler capable of competing in Eurotrial and giving the Europeans a run for their money. It'll also be competing in domestic trials thats are both 10 and 5 gate. Lastly I'll probably build it capable of housing an hydraulic winch so I can race it in KoV/KoG style events.

So... let the build begin... Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/ScreamerOffroad

Last edited by Eclipsed4ever on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've had a few bits and pieces arrive for the axles.
I've got 1 diff, 2 shafts and 2 rear hubs from a 3.2 DiD shogun. These will be the drivetrain in the axles. I'm planning on folding up 5mm steel plate to create the axle housing this time. It should be tidier and stronger than the box section and plate I used last time.

I'll be trying out the 3" Ballistic Heavy Duty joints for the 1 links this time. They arrived the other day with rebuild kits and mounts and they look ideal.

I'm currently putting together ideas to make the hubs a little tidier than last time. I'm using Land Cruiser Colorado front brake discs at the moment due to their desirable dimensions, Mitsubishi 3000GT 4 pot alloy calipers, Shogun stub axles and ball joints. I plan on folding up some more steel instead of using the rather agricultural channel iron of last time.

Everything worked out OK last time as it seems to work but this time I'm trying to figure out desirable camber angles and kingpin inclination angles. So far I'm not entirely sure what I'm aiming for. Any advice/help greatly appreciated!

nj111
Just got MTs

Odometer: 166

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclipsed4ever wrote:
this time I'm trying to figure out desirable camber angles and kingpin inclination angles. So far I'm not entirely sure what I'm aiming for. Any advice/help greatly appreciated!

Nice 3" ballistics! Looking forward to this build. Some time spent now researching geometry will pay off if you are intending to use it at higher speeds. I'm sure there are some people here that can advise you.
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly any advice greatly appreciated at this point in time. I've read lots about the different effects each thing has (king pin inclination, castor, camber etc etc) but as yet I still don't really have any ideas as to what values I should be aiming at for each. Most stuff refers to road vehicles which I suppose applies to offroad for speed events?

Some more parts have arrived. My hydroboost from the states is here, a pair of brake calipers, 4 brake discs, brake pads, 8 ball joints... pretty much enough to start knocking up an axle! I've done a couple of drawings for the hubs but without angles to aim at, I could be drawing up poop!

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent Scrub-steer is way more important than folks think for off road. The king pin is inclined (KPI) so that its imaginary centre line touches the road in the middle of the tyres contact patch. Then the wheel isn't trying to steer left or right when braking or accelerating, because the rotating forces are neutral around the pin. It becomes more important as steering parts wear.
I see a lot of trucks with big offset rims where they struggle to steer in mud because their scrub steer makes the tyre go forward and backward. If you can force the issue it's a traction aid and if you can't, well, it's a pest Smile

Many hydraulic steer machines don't have Castor because they spend a lot of time going backward. If you are going forward at speed I would build some in, to allow for wear in the future. It'll make it 'point' better. I guess the rear has castor in the same direction? Where the king pins imaginary centre line is toward the front of the scrub steer patch.

No idea on camber? I don't think you do on live axels? But as you have that option I'd research it well. I don't think it would go amiss with neutral camber, but it could keep the top of the tyre away from obstacles if they leaned in a bit?

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey teamirdis.

I try to avoid massive offset wheels for that reason. Your generally much better off trying to get the tyres in over the hubs and no you mention it I can see why. The problem I have is if my drawing is correct I'd need like 20 degrees KPI to go through the centre of the CV and hit the centre of the tyre with my wheels/tyres, which seems a little excessive. That would be zero scrub though - nice easy steering Smile I could ptobably achieve a reasonable scrub radius without going mad though. 70mm scrub radius would be about 10 degrees. That's with 10" rims with a -32 offset, 13.5" wide tyre, 40" height. Pictures speak 1000 words...

The red line is 70mm scrub for 10 degrees.
The blue line is 100mm scrub for 7 degrees.

Castor I can adjust by offsetting the top/bottom ball joints forwards and backwards. A lot of people rotate their front axle to get the pinion higher. This would increase the forward castor. I've never really noticed if this has a positive/negative effect for ruts etc. If anything I'd expect a backward leaning castor to be best for turning out of ruts? Would this be correct?

From what I understand, generally a small amount of negative camber is a good thing. It keeps the tops of the tyres in, but also it will keep the tyre flatter on the floor as the axle lifts on the opposite wheel i.e side slopes. Of course the top wheel may have slightly less grip though as the effect is opposite. Lockers in though it's the bottom wheels that's going to be doing the work. It improves cornering at speed for this reason also. You were right about live axles not normally having camber though. Rears normally have none, I'm not sure on fronts though. I'm thinking maybe just a couple of degrees would be about right.

On a more practical note, I had a quick test to see how well the hub components fit together.

320mm discs with Mitsi 3000GT 4 pots. All slots nicely over the stub axle.

Even squeezes under a 16" rim with air to spare.

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a bit of a play on AutoCAD trying to mock up my axles and I've come up with this so far:

I've settled on a 10* KPI for now. I've had a look at a few diagrams of other axles and this doesn't seem to be far off the norm, and it gives me a reasonably small scrub radius.

For now I've drawn it up with 0 camber but I can soon adjust that with a bit of jiggling of ball joints. The same can be said about castor.

With the rough mock up, I've been a bit tight with some of the dimensions on the worse side (I think). Even still the drawing shows 13.5" clearance under the centre of the diff which this time will be armoured unlike Screamers axles. I think I'll gain some on this as I'm sure theres more like 15" on Screamer. The areas either side of the diff are measuring around 16", again on Screamer I'm sure it's more like 18".

I've got some time off over the next couple of weeks so I'm going to try and crack on with fabbing up an axle out of 2mm steel. It will give me a good idea of what to expect, allow me to draw up some refined designs and make things easier explaining to a third party what I want when getting the 5mm steel formed later on. It should also give me an idea of how heavy they're going to actually be. If they're getting too heavy I'm going to have to cut some bits out!

Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclipsed4ever wrote:

Castor I can adjust by offsetting the top/bottom ball joints forwards and backwards. A lot of people rotate their front axle to get the pinion higher. This would increase the forward castor. I've never really noticed if this has a positive/negative effect for ruts etc. If anything I'd expect a backward leaning castor to be best for turning out of ruts? Would this be correct?

I understood the reason for rotating the axle was to increase the turning ability - think bike - certainly seemed to work for tight turns in trials when I've seen it used

Eclipsed4ever wrote:
From what I understand, generally a small amount of negative camber is a good thing.

The correct camber for my Pajero is 0º 41' - just under half a degree if that helps
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting observation. Old trials cars certainly seem to have some backwards castor. Without it being a massive amount its one of those things that are hard to spot when offroading! I'll do some more reading.

Certainly on road vehicles some negative camber is desirable. I was thinking it was around a couple of degrees for most vehicles. You've given me an idea though, I'll see if I can find some camber settings for standard axles.

I've started mocking up some hubs this morning. So far the preliminary plans seem to looks like they'll work. I've got reasonable clearance past the discs and the brake caliper mount should be pretty straightforward. I'm going to make some top hat sort of things with tapered holes down the centre for the ball joints.

I'm using the front face as the datum for all measurements as obviously these are only 2mm.

Unlike my last axles, I want to mount the steering ram under the pinion, meaning the track rods will be connected on the side of the hub instead of way up above it. It should be much tidier and I won't need heavy 40x40 solid section to get it to take the abuse. For this to work I needed to check the ram will actually fit. It's a bit rough and ready but it was only a rough check.

At this point I got distracted by the Olympics on TV... nevermind, I'll carry on tomorrow.

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continued with the hubs this morning. To be honest I'm quite pleased with how they've turned out. Physically they're smaller than Screamers hubs but everything fits well.

Next was probably the most difficult part of the new axles, the 'tubes' themselves. I'm going for roughly the same drop as before, around 6 inchs between the diff and the hubs. First was the middle section.

Once I'd set out the rough positions of the hub I decided that the extra complexity of a flat section as per my original drawing wasn't really warranted. The amount of clearance I'd of gained wasn't really worth it.

I've started the next section although it's going to be a bit of guess work as per where I need the ball joints to be. Until I get my tapered holes made (gonna draw them up tonight and try and get someone to make them up for me - as yet I don't know who!) I'm not going to be able to finish the mock.

I'll get as far as I can with the hub end but then start looking at what I'm gonna do around the pinion. The steering ram still needs a home but space is a bit of an issue. I have a plan but it's going to be tight. I'm also planning on doing something different to the usual triangle design in that, I may not have a triangle at all. It will all become clear, stay tuned Wink

As part of the axle/triangle design, I need to take in to account what angle the props will be and so I've started mocking out the main parts of the body itself, i.e the engine, and my seat.

A proper motor Very Happy:

I plan on dropping the seat to right over the prop (with some good protection) which should allow me to drop the overall roof height. The lower the better.

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I come up with a cunning plan so my tapered holes won't hold me up. I got an old ball joint and I've modified it so I can bolt it up as if it were mounted correctly. This has allowed me to continue with the axle case.

I've made the lower half of the end section with my modified ball joint. The front half of the axle has been reasonably straightforward.

Currently it's the rear half that I haven't really nailed. I've incorporated the steering ram into the housing so that it's well protected. In the pictures it'll sit where the aluminium tube is:

I've still yet to decide how to finish the rear off and tie it all in together. Once I've done that I'll make up the top ball join mount then start to look at the 'triangle' for the 1 link.

nj111
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since gravity is really against you in trials when you get all this worked out why not consider getting it fab'd in ally? 1/3 of the density and even using thicker sections I would have thought it could end up 50% lighter than in steel.
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Ali axle casing would be awesome. It would be some serious bling and the weight savings would surely be considerable.

From my point of view though the added difficulties of maintaining such a case could be a problem. Currently I can't weld ali making modification/repair difficult. This would be my biggest concern. There's Also cost. Would it be a similar manufacture process? Bent/joined sheet Ali or just machined sections? I guess the latter wouldn't be very economical?

Its not a material I've ever done much with but it would make a beautiful axle.

Lastly, would it take the abuse?

nj111
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon it can be made strong enough, once you've made your mock up I'll put you in touch with someone that could probably help. I reckon it would be worth costing, but as you say the downside is a DIY repair becomes difficult and a repair at an event even more so. You'll just have to buy a TIG welder as well.
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to learn to stick weld ali instead.

My only other concern is that as good as the weight saving is, it's weight on the floor holding the body down. I dunno if it would affect the stability adversely? For speed events all the better but for crawling over rocks, heavier axles help to keep you on yer wheels.

Even so if it didn't cost up to bad it would be well worth trying.

arreff77
Articulating

Odometer: 992

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can stick weld alloy, we used to have some rods in work for repairing wheel houses until some tool threw the whole lot out. By the time I'd seen them it had rained and they were f*****. I'll see if I can get any more info tomorrow.
nj111
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclipsed4ever wrote:
I'll have to learn to stick weld ali instead.

My only other concern is that as good as the weight saving is, it's weight on the floor holding the body down. I dunno if it would affect the stability adversely? For speed events all the better but for crawling over rocks, heavier axles help to keep you on yer wheels.

Even so if it didn't cost up to bad it would be well worth trying.

Take your point, having trialled internationally you would know what keeps it upright, however speed is different and you would need to reduce unsprung weight for that. To build something to potentially do both will be hard, but maybe if the axles were too light for trialling they could be ballasted and the ballast removed for other events?
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Arreff, I'm pretty new to stick welding at all so any help or advice much appreciated.

As for the weight front, I've drawn up most of the blanks to make the 5 sections of axle. Using a density - weight calculator, I estimate the main axle case will be approx 80kgs in steel. In aluminium it'd be a mere 28kgs. That's a potential of 100kg saving over both axles. I'd say there will be more to gain on yet to as there's a bit more steel to draw up.

I was having another think and the main weight holding you down is obviously the weight at the end of the axles, rather than at the centre. The brakes/wheels/tyres/hubs themselves provide most of this weight. As you suggest ballast is always an option as well. There's plenty of room for water in the Iroks Wink

As a whole I'm aiming to hit a target weight of 1200kgs all up. That's a little over 300kgs lighter than Screamer all up but it would put me in line with the likes of Lars and his single seater spider. One beautiful machine:

To be honest it's a big ask, but after to speaking to a few other Eurotriallers, I think the body of Screamer is very heavily built. The axles are between Volvo 303 and Mogs weight wise, but there are single seaters with Mogs at a similar overall weight. Of course, they don't generally try and squeeze a 3.0lr V6 in either Laughing

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've completed designing the main axle case. Everything is drawn up. I've decided to sort of cheat for the next bit. With everything drawn up, I've given the designs to a local engineering company, HMS Engineering. They're going to cut and form the sections for me. I was expecting this to take a couple of weeks but due to their upcoming work load I should have the axle case parts, hub parts and tapered holes back next week! Once I have them back I should be able to zap them up and hey presto, two axles! We'll that's the plan...

I've done a load of measuring of various bits and pieces and I've been trying to knock up a rough layout for the truck as a whole. I've drawn this up in 2D on AutoCAD. I've just bought some software called Bend Tech PRO which I'll use to design the full spaceframe on so expect some pretty 3D renderings when I get going.

One problem with the engine I need to deal with is the oil filter housing. Currently the oil filter is right where I want the front prop. After a few discussions with a local fabricator we've decided modifying the housing itself with a couple of fittings so I can mount the filter somewhere else doesn't look too be a goer. We think we might be able to make a sort of sandwich plate though. The trouble is there a solenoid and 2 extra chambers which I need to keep the housing for. This is still in development...

nj111
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the pic of Lars and his single seater spider, almost looks like he could do KOV etc in that!
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His top speed would be worse than mine but if he could get the range there wouldnt be much to stop him! Even the steps I could see him having a reasonable crack at.
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since dropping of my designs for the axles ready to be cut and formed, I've been having a go at designing the spaceframe. I've done a bit of 3D modelling before - strangely it was designing monster truck bodies for Monster Truck Madness 2 (an old PC game in case your wondering what the hell I'm talking about). This made using Bend Tech a bit easier, so I got to work...

I measured up the engine, seat, props, areas for joints, leg room, cockpit areas etc. to try and get a reasonable idea of what space I have. After some tinkering I've come up with these:

Bull Nose:

Ultra4 Nose:

I'm not entirely happy with the front end still. The rest of it isn't too bad with the lines following down the length of the body. Still some work to do yet though!

Once I've got the axle parts back I can zap them up and start some chassis rails.[/img]

Adam.Z
Gate Opener

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell me from what car are the swivel pins that you used??
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as sexy as that axle looks, i still dont think that running that thickness metal on them is gonna help haha

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam - I presume you mean the ball joints? They're Shogun rears - I believe they fit upper and lower. They're the same as I used on Screamer 1.

Toseland - Thank you, how about this instead?

I've now got all the parts back for the hubs and main axle case. It needs a few tweaks at first glance but I'd of been amazed if it all slotted together first time. It's probably going to be next week before I get chance to really get stuck into them.

New design for the spaceframe:

I much prefer this to my previous version. Again whether or not it ends up looking like this in the end is doubtful, but it's something to aim for. Once I have my axles made up I can get some firmer dimensions and placements for parts to refine the design.

unimogler
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 93

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re spider, I know of a few people who would love to see one with a couple of good winches competing in the challenge comps, might yet happen if I get back to the workshop one day, I think the landy people might blow a gasket instead of the usual oily drip!! no offence to idris
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha i was only gonna suggest a little ducktape, you could ducttape a screwdriver and hammer to it and it would work..

i only dream of the day i wake up and am able to fab like that..

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I can't be held responsible for all the axle parts, I had a local engineering company make them up to my drawings in an effort to get everything the same!

A spider type machine with winches would take some stopping for challenges. I'm not sure how many events you'd be able to compete in with rear steer? Also 40"+ tyres don't generally go down well. But yes, I don't think you'd be to popular with the Landy boys either. Razz

That said, I hope to try KoV this year with Screamer 1, unless the new one is finished and tested by then... but there's a long way to go before that.

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately due to work commitments I've not had much time to get stuck into this lately. I've got this week off though so it's time for another push!

First job is to get the axles together. Once these are in one piece I can get cracking with starting the chassis. I hope to pick up the material for the spaceframe later this week. Until then, it's axles all the way.

Tacked up the first one today. I cut and shaped a few little parts but largely it doesn't fit together too bad. I have made a couple of mistakes with a few of the angles to get the edges butted up flush after the second bends but thats not anything too serious.

[img]

I'm going to start on a couple of hubs tomorrow as I need those to make up the top half of the casings.

These also arrived this week... 2 intermediate bearings from Milner Offroad. I'll be using these for the props.

I'm currently waiting for the 2 steering rams to be made by a local company. They're the same dimensions as I used on Screamer 1 but with different style mounts so I won't have any protruding bolt heads out the bottom of the axle.

The same guy is also making a sandwich plate type thing for my oil filter housing which will allow me to mount the filter elsewhere whilst maintaining the solenoid + 3 other chambers.[/img]

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was slacking a bit today but when I did get going I got one hub up and together:

I've started the second one, just got the caliper mount to weld on.

Will try and get on with it tomorrow!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: