Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Number plates on light bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
( Gray )
Articulating

Odometer: 597

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Number plates on light bar Reply with quote

The MOT is due next week.
The garage has already confirmed that the cracked front number plate will need replacing.
It is currently attached to the nearside winch bumper, which is not the most protected place.
I'm thinking of putting the new one on the light bar above the roof; question is, how does everyone else fix them on?
Get two brackets and attach the brackets to the underside of the bolts holding the lights on? If I did that, should I put a thin bar behind the number plate to give it more rigidity?
mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3096

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number plate on my Defender was mounted to the front of the roofrack. I think it was sheet aluminium I used to back the number plate. Of course you could buy an aluminium plate and just screw that to the bar

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sure I'd find some regs somewhere but neither the RTA not C&U regs cover the placement of number plates so far as I can see.

I would suggest that as long as it is made to an approved standard and clearly visible from in front of the vehicle then you're fine.

On my old Shogun, I had a clip on front number plate mount that used the fairlead as the mount which I then removed before hitting the mud. I sometimes remembered to refit it before heading home
Embarassed

I think I still have it somewhere.

rob90
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5388

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will pass the MOT if the number plate is inside the windscreen and is fully visible as well.
( Gray )
Articulating

Odometer: 597

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Re aluminium plate screwed to the lightbar; unfortunately the light bar is curved, so the plate would have to curve as well. The lightbar is tubular, so drilling into it, although not insurmountable, would be a rather hard (and the wiring for the lights goes inside it too), and the spacings of the lights would prevent that anyway.

Although an aluminium plate where the current one sits might be ok; beacuse the bumper either side of the winch is slightly shorter than the number plate, the inside edge is not supported and is susceptible to knocks and is the reason why it's chipped and cracked. An aluminium one would be a little stronger.

A clip on onto the fairlead is a good idea - I seem to recall that was mentioned either here or on another 4x4 site several years ago. But again the number plate would be longer than that part of the bumper and so both ends would be unsupported. And probably more exposed.

After a bit of research it appears that the regulations state that the number plate should, where possible, be vertical and at the front of the vehicle.
So for now I'm going to put the new one where the damaged currently is.
I'll have a chat with the MOT tester and once it's passed its MOT I can decide whether to move it or not.
Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: