Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

How good are Jimny when modified for off road
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wowyswittowedtwuck
Just got MTs

Odometer: 122

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: How good are Jimny when modified for off road Reply with quote

Got the chance of a jimny going cheap but dont know a thing about them.

How good are they for off roading?

1.3L engine? Can it pull anything? What about a trailer behind it? Any simple - ish swaps available?

Ive heard the axles are weak? Do you get upgraded shafts and CV's?

What about tyres? Alot of people on 31's but a few 33's and fewer 35's?

How would a jimny on 35's and a low range box with tein lockers compare to a defender 90 with the same spec?

Anyone tell me are the good enough to throw money at? Eg like the spec ive just mentioned
simonallen
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1019

1997 Lada Niva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're asking this question to a group of enthusiasts - you will get nothing but a biased answer. Much the same as if you ask a 90 driver if they are any good.

I wouldn't want to tow anything with a 1,3 at all. I believe a 1.6 conversion is easy enough with either a baleno engine or a vitara engine. Still wouldnt want to tow much though.

Completely different beast to bigger 4x4's - will go anywhere a landy/jeep/toyota etc will when driven accordingly
TomDK
Gate Opener

Odometer: 14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: How good are Jimny when modified for off road Reply with quote

wowyswittowedtwuck wrote:
Got the chance of a jimny going cheap but dont know a thing about them.

How good are they for off roading?

1.3L engine? Can it pull anything? What about a trailer behind it? Any simple - ish swaps available?

Ive heard the axles are weak? Do you get upgraded shafts and CV's?

What about tyres? Alot of people on 31's but a few 33's and fewer 35's?

How would a jimny on 35's and a low range box with tein lockers compare to a defender 90 with the same spec?

Anyone tell me are the good enough to throw money at? Eg like the spec ive just mentioned

Anything above 31" is just for looks. Bigger tyres makes no difference offroad. But you'll need to fit a rocklobster transferbox if fitting tyres bigger than 215/70/15.

What sort of offroading do you want to do with the Jimny?
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How would a jimny on 35's and a low range box with tein lockers compare to a defender 90 with the same spec?"

Very well, as it is lighter than the 90. But they'll both eat the drive train on 35's Very Happy

Is a 'cheap' jimmy worth anything to you personally if you are going to spend mega loads on parts? It may be better to spend a wodge of cash on something nearer to your final ideal vehicle?

Munkee
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1505

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How good are Jimny when modified for off road Reply with quote

TomDK wrote:

Anything above 31" is just for looks. Bigger tyres makes no difference offroad.

Er, no. They really do.

In America, some fundamental Christians believe that the world is only 5000 years old, In England, some of us drink in pubs older than that.
TomDK
Gate Opener

Odometer: 14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How good are Jimny when modified for off road Reply with quote

Munkee wrote:
TomDK wrote:

Er, no. They really do.

Perhaps for your occasional pay n play.
But anything more serious, you don't need these big tyres on such short wheelbase. Also the Jimny is quite narrow, so with such big tyres, the COG will be unnecessary high.

Look a some of the Comp-Jimny's and Samurai's. None of the run bigger than 31", a few 33". There's probably a reason why.
Munkee
Off-Road Guru

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How good are Jimny when modified for off road Reply with quote

TomDK wrote:
Munkee wrote:
TomDK wrote:

Er, no. They really do.

But anything more serious, you don't need these big tyres on such short wheelbase. Also the Jimny is quite narrow, so with such big tyres, the COG will be unnecessary high.

Look a some of the Comp-Jimny's and Samurai's. None of the run bigger than 31", a few 33". There's probably a reason why.

We'll agree to disagree on this one!!

All the comp SJs and jimnys I've seen have gone as big as possible, and 35s aren't uncommon.

33"+ are a benefit greenlaning when you get deep ruts too. I run 31" tyres on the vit and often ground out the diffs.

Anyways for the OP, Jimnys are great offroad, But I also wouldn't want to tow anything with one.

Big tyres will mean £££ on suspension, low ratio boxes and uprated axles, although the axles aren't bad to start with.

1.6 conversions are possible, and if it's an early jimny, you could fit a VW turbo diesel via an acme adapters kit.

HTH

In America, some fundamental Christians believe that the world is only 5000 years old, In England, some of us drink in pubs older than that.
wowyswittowedtwuck
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys so far.

So 35's have been seen on jimny then? What would this require? 4" suspension lift? 3" bodylift?

Can you get stronger halfshafts and CVs or would it be easier to put a new set of axles on?

Asfor towing, ive got a trasport trailer that i use for towing my off road buggy and quads so would need to be able to tow a transport trailer? What years can you put the 1.9tdi engines in? A mate of mine breaks VW's so could possibly get one at mates rates which would help keep costs down
suzukivit1
Just got MTs

Odometer: 297

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How good are Jimny when modified for off road Reply with quote

[quote="Munkee"]
TomDK wrote:
Munkee wrote:
TomDK wrote:

Er, no. They really do.

We'll agree to disagree on this one!!

All the comp SJs and jimnys I've seen have gone as big as possible, and 35s aren't uncommon.

33"+ are a benefit greenlaning when you get deep ruts too. I run 31" tyres on the vit and often ground out the diffs.

Anyways for the OP, Jimnys are great offroad, But I also wouldn't want to tow anything with one.

Big tyres will mean £££ on suspension, low ratio boxes and uprated axles, although the axles aren't bad to start with.

1.6 conversions are possible, and if it's an early jimny, you could fit a VW turbo diesel via an acme adapters

Have to agree with you there I cant drive through ruts made by 35" tyres on the vit the diffs are grounding out id love to run 35" tyres on my vit but the jump from 31" to 35" is much more £££
colin
rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3277

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will struggle to get really big tyres on a Jimny which is why most people run 31s or smaller. Have a look on bigjimny.com there are a lot of modded Jimnys on there.
I run 33s on my Vit purely to cope with ruts.

2000 Vitara 4u2, 3+3 lift, 33s, winch, safari rack, steel front axle and 5:83 R&Ps, LWB brakes
1986 SJ413K Pickup, 1.6 conversion
2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
Munkee
Off-Road Guru

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go big or go home... A jimny on 37"s;

BIG Jimny

Very Happy

wowyswittowedtwuck
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Munkee wrote:
Go big or go home... A jimny on 37"s;

BIG Jimny

Very Happy

Now thats a nice jimny! Does anyone know what size of lift it has?
Munkee
Off-Road Guru

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben is on here, but as it's on hilux axles, you can assume that it's custom and a lot!

wowyswittowedtwuck
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh i see, a lot of hard work put in.

Is there any more benefit to going yota axles instead of just pgetting stronger shafts and cvs made up rather than customising yota axles.

One more issue ive been reading about are the wheel hubs. Ive read the vacum hoses seem to be a bit of a problem. Manual hubs can go on but the last thing i want to do is jump in and out to select 4x2 or 4x4. Id just like to use the trasfer lever , and not have to keep going in and out the car - do you get wheel hubs that allow this?
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite being a Landy owner I am also a dyed in the wool Zook fan - its where I started.

I reckon that a well sorted Zook driven appropriately will go anywhere you'd want to. The only downside in my eyes is overall size and carrying capacity.

Towing? I wouldn't bother. Huge tyres? same, good 31" tyres underneath a good driver will go further than a fanny with 35"s.

If I were to sell my buggy I would get a Jimny like a shot.

ScottieJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDK wrote:

I know it's an SJ but running 33s doesn't always mean a high centre of gravity Razz I'm sure you could go down a similar route with a jimny.

scrunt
Articulating

Odometer: 985

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to tow, because nothing to stop you towing a trailer.
There are small caravans that you can tow.

Or even towing out stuck 90's or 110's if you have the correct recovery points.
Lots of different engines in Jimnys from 1998/2013
Some are better than others.
All are capable enough off road.

Big tyres with a 1298cc or 1328cc without changes to gearing can be problematic.

31" Tyres are pretty good at getting you where you might want to go offroad,
and get you there and back on road.

george
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_jimny_s...013_640x480_1.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_Jimmy_2_hats_001_1.jpg

Not mine, but a Difflock members
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_DSCF1659_1.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_DSCF1658_1.jpg
wowyswittowedtwuck
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more i keep looking at jimnys the more i like them,

Id becwanting to tow a transport trailer with eith an off road buggy or 2 quads - so not too heavy.

Can any jimny owners help me out with these ones

BOOT SPACE - how much space with the rear sieats down / taken out?

HUBS - 4x2 and 4x4? Do you get hubs that you dont need to keep gooing in and out of the car selecting 4x4 or 4x2? Id prefer just to stay in the car and select using the transfer lever.

Spare Tyre - More aimed at off road users but where do you keep your spare tyre - eg would a 35 or 37" tyre fit it the boot ? Answer to first question might help, either standing up or lieing down? If not, where can it go?

Hope someone can help

Thanks
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more i keep looking at jimnys the more i like them,

Id becwanting to tow a transport trailer with eith an off road buggy or 2 quads - so not too heavy.

Can any jimny owners help me out with these ones

BOOT SPACE - how much space with the rear sieats down / taken out? not a huge amount, what are you looking at putting in?

HUBS - 4x2 and 4x4? Do you get hubs that you dont need to keep gooing in and out of the car selecting 4x4 or 4x2? Id prefer just to stay in the car and select using the transfer lever. with manual hubs you can just leave them locked, and use 2wd/4wd as you please, fuel consumption will be a little higher tho, i think the jimny has auto hubs, meaning they will lock up when you apply 4wd in the cabbin, same thing as leaving the manual hubs locked, but with better on road fuel consumption

Spare Tyre - More aimed at off road users but where do you keep your spare tyre - eg would a 35 or 37" tyre fit it the boot ? Answer to first question might help, either standing up or lieing down? If not, where can it go? depends how wide the tyre is, roofrack is another option (but shifts the already high COG higher) and you can get mounting brackets for the rear to move the position of the spare wheel. Should fit in the boot with the seats down, will roll in sideways with them completely folded up but depends how wide it is as to whether it fits inside or not with the seats up

Hope someone can help

Thanks[/b]

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
scrunt
Articulating

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Unbraked is only 350kg & Braked 1300 kg.
I tow a full size 4x4 Quad on the Braked Trailer the Quad then Tows.
2 quads will depend on the size/weight,
then you need to think about the Transporters Plated Weight.

I have fixed hubs fitted, you can buy these or DIY.
Described in BIGJIMNY.COM i think.

I use these on road and off, but mostly in Winter onroad,
& the Jimny is in RWD unless the need for the front wheels driving.

Low is not very low on a Jimny.
I have Axles/Diffs from a Manual on Jimny's with Autoboxes.
That lowers gearing on Autos, but very limiting for use on road,
but still OK for nearly up to 60 mph on 31"tyres.

http://www.kapsuzuki4x4.co.uk
See in the Jimny Gallery for a Jimny with Internal Roll cage, Seat removed and spare wheel carried.
http://dgtuning.com
http://rhinorays.co.uk

http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_3DJtv00n_1.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_Insa_Tu...in_Saga_002_2.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_Suzuki_Jimny_13_1.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_chc_scotia_009_1.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_waynesw...ukijimny026_1.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_Jimny1999bRint_1_1.jpg

*** First & easiest place to look for rust.
Open the rear door, and look there under the cover where the Jack is Stored.
Maybe rust or a hole, then you need to start looking further, all over the car,
The Jack area looks an easy fix, but take that as a warning to what there might be elsewhere.
Inner front arches behind the plastic, Body Mounts etc.***

Unbraked trailer, just used for carrying light stuff.
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_x3trailer_004_1.jpg
wowyswittowedtwuck
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roof was the next thing that i was thinking, couldanyone measure in inche the length and height. Would it fit a 35x12.5 or 37x13.5 inch tyre? Or would it be best putting that on the roof? What about height, ive got a stand up toolbox that is 34 inches?

I thought with the standard hubs the vacum hose caused a bit of a problem?
scrunt
Articulating

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are vacuum hubs, you do away with that and fix them as on.
That stops them from being a problem.

If you are serious about 35's or 37's surely you would not be putting one on the roof and then going offroad,
Pretty heavy, heavy to get up there, and really not the best of ideas unless you are going to be making it a very wide Jimny.

Have you looked at any Jimnys yet,
Or driven one.?

These tyres are only 235/75 15's and measure under 30"
Heavy enough when climbing slopes. and when filled with Mud.
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_12621_j...6_800x600_1_3.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_12621_2...7_640x449_2_2.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_kaptong..._2009_172_1_1.jpg
195/80 15 Cheap Mud tyres on Standard height Jimny.
Koni Springs.
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_12621_S...2_640x352_1_1.jpg
wowyswittowedtwuck
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrunt wrote:
They are vacuum hubs, you do away with that and fix them as on.
That stops them from being a problem.

If you are serious about 35's or 37's surely you would not be putting one on the roof and then going offroad,
Pretty heavy, heavy to get up there, and really not the best of ideas unless you are going to be making it a very wide Jimny.

Have you looked at any Jimnys yet,
Or driven one.?

These tyres are only 235/75 15's and measure under 30"
Heavy enough when climbing slopes. and when filled with Mud.
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_12621_j...6_800x600_1_3.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_12621_2...7_640x449_2_2.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_kaptong..._2009_172_1_1.jpg
195/80 15 Cheap Mud tyres on Standard height Jimny.
Koni Springs.
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_12621_S...2_640x352_1_1.jpg

Ah ok so hubs not an issue then,

Its a friend of a family member up north that has one so i can get for fairly cheap but theyrnt home untill end of january so cant see / drive till then so thats why im trying to get as much info as possible here.

If i do go for it then yes i am serious, i like to be a wee bit diffrent and tend to go OTT with things like this so 35-37 would be my aim.

Where could a spare tyre of tgat size go tgen if it would raise the cog to much and to much weight up there for hills?

Isome of thoses jimnys do look great, makes me want one even more!
scrunt
Articulating

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless in a competition where it is required to carry a spare i would not carry a 35 or 37" tyre.
The 4 that are fitted are more than heavy enough.

Jimnys work best light. the go anyplace reputation comes from being light and agile.
They are a revvy engine, certainly not big on torque..

What are you looking at a 1298cc 8 valve, 16 valve or 1323 cc DOHC?
Makes some difference,
& being different with a Mini Monster truck is fair enough, but you are maybe going to need a bigger engine say a 1600 conversion or go diesel.

Or like the Big Orange Jimny Van, a Range Rover Rolling Chassis with a V8.

Not mine.
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_offroad...nyiceland10_1.jpg
http://forum.difflock.com/userpix/17551_dscf1659_1_1.jpg
wowyswittowedtwuck
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really fancy doing the rainforest challenge and a winch challenge aswell so as im planning on traveling i would like a spare, hense why im so concered about a tyre.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned 1.9tdi engine , i know a guy that breaks VWs so might be an easy option to go for the tdi as i can get alot of parts.

I love the blue icelandic one, seeing that looking through arctic trucks and i fell in love with it!
Scrunt44
Just got MTs

Odometer: 137

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 years on from my posts above and my 2003 Jimny JLX Auto has another MOT pass.
Worked out at about £1,100 a year for the 15 years with the purchase price and servicing and maintenance over the years.

So no New Jimny needed for a while yet and i will be waiting to see if the New Jimny's have issues.

First issue for me is the price of Automatics in the UK and bits and pieces i rather would not have.
http://suzuki.co.uk

Then the crap Bridgestone Tyres that are fitted that needed changing right from collection.
Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must work out what the Defender has cost me...I'll be back once I've got me pencil and paper out...

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What annoys me with cars is that I want the powerful engine and good headlights etc but I don't want automatic gearbox, climate, touch screen etc. However they're all or nothing usually.
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more modified the worse they become usually down to the paltry lawnmower engine not having the go to shift it. I owned that blue jimmy with the ext rollcage that everyone on difflock has also owned and it was so underpowered it was dangerous. Had I had the mechanical know how I would have swapped out the engine and kept it but at the time I had the first of my kids and it was just daft to keep it. I had lockers winch and everything and it was like driving a bag of bolts... bloody loved it though!

I like the look of the new one, suzi have done themselves proud with that by the look of things. Reminds me of a baby g wagon.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 10758

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My son was driving a rented Toyota round Frazer Island (somewhere close to Oz ... Google) followed by a Zuke.

He hit a man-sized bump, glanced in his mirror to see the entire underside of the Zuke.

The Zuke stopped, and the young lady in the passenger jumped out ... and relieved herself of her breakfast.

602[/i]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: