Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Scottish independence - a serious discussion?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Scotland leave the UK?
Yes (I'm Scottish)
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Yes (I'm not Scottish)
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
No (I'm Scottish)
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
No (I'm not Scottish)
36%
 36%  [ 11 ]
I don't care (I'm Scottish)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care (I'm not Scottish)
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 30

Dawn Anderson
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1353

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:
Don't forget that Scotland had the pound before the act of union.

Seems the media is missing that point Wink

But it was the Scots pound, not sterling and worth a quarter of a pound sterling. We only got sterling after the Act of Union and the parcel of rogues were paid in sterling.

DD
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 9761

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'I came, I saw, I locked the diff'
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn Anderson wrote:
dxmedia wrote:
Don't forget that Scotland had the pound before the act of union.

Seems the media is missing that point Wink

But it was the Scots pound, not sterling and worth a quarter of a pound sterling. We only got sterling after the Act of Union and the parcel of rogues were paid in sterling.

What is also being ignored is that Scotland has ****** all say in what happens with UK fiscal policy as it is so Independence would make precious little difference to that.

EDIT: the whole of the UK apart from London has ****** all say .....

London sees a 13% property value increase whilst the rest of the Country see naff all and immediately there are calls for policy changes to prevent a new "bubble". Rolling Eyes

BTW for the record I'm not exactly a natural SNP supporter but neither do I like the London-centric attitude of so called 'national' organisations (like the BBC).

Dawn Anderson
Off-Road Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail, hammer, head Richard. The issue is not Scottish independence but a lack of vision beyond the London bubble the political elite live in. It isn't just The Scottish people who feel aggrieved by upper class twits like George Osborne and the like saying "we're all in this together" whilst sitting on a huge amount of inherited wealth and transmitting a massive and palpable air of "you oiks are actually beneath my contempt and I'm in this for personal glory". Makes my blood boil but I'm not sure Scottish independence is the right answer. Alex Salmond is a snake oil salesman of the highest order who appears to think that the Scottish people don't understand that and can't see through the dirty rhetorical tricks he's using to blame "the English" for everything. I also dislike him trying to claim that independence is the only way Scotland will gain control of the tax system. Income tax is being devolved in 2015 whether or not the referendum returns a yes result. Corporation tax is his holy grail but we don't have a big enough economy to support what he wants to do with that. We also have a huge number of benefits claimants and relatively few taxpayers either individual or corporate to support those payments. The vast majority of Scottish workers are employed on the public sector on relatively low wages. Where's the money coming from Alex? And don't bring up North Sea oil. That's the biggest lie of all. I have no respect for politicians of any stripe but he's the worst of the lot.
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn Anderson wrote:
The vast majority of Scottish workers are employed on the public sector on relatively low wages.

The figure is about 25% of the working population in Glasgow/West is paid from the public purse and closer to 20% elsewhere. Whilst not the majority it is damn big proportion and explains why it is so easy for politicians to persuade working Scots to agree with them; all they have to do is introduce 'policies' that follow party lines and everyone employed by that Council has to follow.

As for Scotland's economy being too small to support itself - true at the moment but there are lots of smaller Countries out there with more than enough to go round. The problem as I see it is that the Scotland's 'leaders' cannot be trusted not to bankrupt a newly formed State introducing unsustainable but popular policies.

The SNP have given the vote to 16 and 17 year olds (my daughter will be 16 years & 12 days old then) but has not realised that their teachers are busy teaching them to think for themselves which I believe is good thing.

I saw a bit of the One Show where the presenters acted like complete idiots when 'discussing' who has the right to vote in the election. Alex Jones, in particular, is either a complete idiot or was simply acting up for the camera. Either way they failed miserably to offer any new information and simply confused the issues even more for those not in Scotland.

Of course the comedy circuit is grabbing a nice juicy bone and gnawing on it good and hard but failing to bring anything new to the debate despite most comedians being rather intelligent. The best comment (I use 'best' subjectively) is "if you're going then f**k off and take Liverpool with you" Rolling Eyes

I'm still irritated at the BBC News consistently reporting issues in England & Wales as "National" news but Scottish (and NI) news items as local or regional.

LlaniGraham
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2701

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting take on Scottish indepedence by one of the Liberal Welsh peers, stating that it is probable that if it happens the Tories will be in power for ever, as it is slewing away from the current mass of opposition to them:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/de...uld-surge-6655302
Scotland exit from the United Kingdom would condemn Wales to “colonial” rule by a Tory-dominated England and drive federalists such as himself to consider Welsh independence, Lord Roberts of Llandudno has warned.

The Liberal Democrat peer – one of the best-known Welshmen in Westminster – appealed to the Scots to stay in UK when they vote in the September independence referendum during a House of Lords debate.

He said: “If Scotland leaves the UK, 59 Scottish Members of Parliament will be removed from the House of Commons, 58 of whom are not Conservatives—only one is a Conservative.”

Warning of a “perpetual Tory majority” in the rest of the United Kingdom, he said: “In 1906, 1997 and 2001, not a single Conservative was elected in Wales. Therefore, a party which in 140 years has never returned the largest number of MPs in Wales would be ruling in a country which has rejected it time and time again.

“Usually in Wales the Conservatives will have, say, 20% of the vote, so 80% of the people of Wales will be subject to an alien party, as well, of course, as being subject to England. This would be colonial rule returned.

“The immediate cry would be for Welsh independence. People such as me who are in favour of a federal solution for the whole UK – we have not really spoken about that – might join the independence bandwagon, because Wales would be ruled by a party that had never been in the majority there, and that represented only 20% of its people.”

He concluded: “On this occasion, however, I think that I can speak for the people of Wales of all parties if I ask them, ‘Scotland, please stay with us, because otherwise we will see the dissolution – the end – of the UK as we know it.’

Former Conservative Assembly leader Lord Bourne of Aberystwyth, a member of the Silk Commission, called for a constitutional convention to secure a lasting settlement for the UK – a key demand of First Minister Carwyn Jones.

He said: “In the wake of the vote there will need to be a constitutional convention to look at the powers, not least the fiscal powers, of the constituent powers of the United Kingdom, and at the English dimension which, so far, is the dog that has barely barked on devolution issues... Part Two of the Silk report is due to be presented to Westminster in March and will deal with the appropriate place for decisions on other policy issues.

“That, too, will be relevant in any constitutional settlement. In short, the vote in Scotland is a watershed. I hope that following the vote – and a decisive No vote – there will be such a convention to work out a lasting constitutional settlement for all parts of our kingdom, not least for England.”

A Welsh Government spokesman said: “We welcome Nick Bourne’s continuing support for the need to discuss a lasting constitutional settlement for the UK. The First Minister has made his vision clear for the future governance of the UK, and Wales’ place within it. Once the outcome of the referendum is known, Wales must have a place at the table when the substantive debate on our future begins.”

dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2185

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I mentioned that on the first page of this thread. The watering down of rUK politics will cease to happen and Westminster will become a single party system.

Maybe it will be enough to give the voters in rUK a kick up the **** to actually go to the voting station and vote for... oh...
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 40007

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The important questions are; will I need a passport to go to Drumclog and can I get duty free on the way back?
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - yes that's right, I have a Zook!
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. wrote:
The important questions are; will I need a passport to go to Drumclog and can I get duty free on the way back?

Not as long as you don;t go through England and I'm sure the SNP will look kindly on your medicinal needs!

Difflock Royalty

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many more business leaders will follow Bob Dudley and speak out against Scottish independence?
Dawn Anderson
Off-Road Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many I would have thought. They're all too busy consulting their accountants and lawyers about the quickest and cheapest way to get the hell out of Dodge.
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest "what is the BBC up to" rant:

Why is it that when the SW England and South Wales have storms that the BBC uses the headline "UK battered by more storms" but when Scotland and North England it's "Scotland and North England"?

Again it seems they want to show UK as England & Wales and Scotland as separate. Now I understand that Scotland is partially separate but the subtle use of language in news reporting seems to be being used to subtly support independence.

I just wonder ....

dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no mention at all that the Scottish Ski resorts have more snow than the Alps (and I think twice that of the last winter Olympics).

The lifts were buried in the massive snow storm over the last couple of days on both the east and west coast. For those who don't ski, the cables on the lifts are 2 - 3 meters up.

Oh, sorry, flooding down south, there is no other weather.
jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno what you lot or the BBC are on about. OK, so it has been a bit windy and it has rained a bit, but here in the East Midlands (EM is a BBC region not representative of anywhere in the UK) there have been no problems with the weather, just a bit dull as you would expect for the time of year although quite mild - and certainly nothing challenging for Land Rovers or any proper 4x4s!!! A few puddles and muddy patches, but that's about it - shame - I could do with a challenge.

As Richard says "What is up with the BBC?" I guess that a strike on the tube (that's where toothpaste comes from) is more important than real life outside their little bubble.

J
Difflock Royalty

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleeeeeeease don't leave us Crying or Very sad
Difflock Royalty

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Well written speech IMO)
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny but I'm hard pressed to find anyone I know who says they intend to vote yes.

I have a decent number if Indy type pals but even they are concerned about the lack of detail in the SNP proposals and are minded to vote no because the practicalities are not being resolved before the vote.

dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:
It's funny but I'm hard pressed to find anyone I know who says they intend to vote yes.

I have a decent number if Indy type pals but even they are concerned about the lack of detail in the SNP proposals and are minded to vote no because the practicalities are not being resolved before the vote.

See, over here, I don't know anyone who wants to vote no. There's a lot of yes supporters. Especially north.

Time will tell though.
DD
Mud Obsessed

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's "here" DX?
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see which area votes which way - we may end up with a Scottish SW/NE split
dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South west, but lot of family north east.
DD
Mud Obsessed

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

Weird, I struggle to meet anyone who'd vote yes up here. Most of them are too worried that the oil industry would shut down. Sometimes the devil you know..........

dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be the difference. I don't know anyone up there who works in oil. Keep on meaning too myself, Aberdeen has a fantastic work climate Smile West of you and north, the fishing guys can't wait to get as far away from Westminster as possible!
DD
Mud Obsessed

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the rugby yesterday and heard of 2 very senior managers,with oil companies, who have sold their houses in aberdeen , bought property in England instead, and are renting in Aberdeen. All because they believe aberdeen would close for business if the yes vote goes through. That is food for thought!......
gadgetboy
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1947

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's hearsay and means nothing.

I've still yet to hear a reasoned, considered argument for Scotland to stay in the UK.

Currency. I spent most of the 90s and early 00s travelling the world working in international finance and a country can pretty much choose any currency it wants and the host nation can do pretty much buggr all about it. A recent example would be Zimbabwe switching to USD.

Banking. Two of the biggest banks in the UK are scottish.

RBS:

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No 90312. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, EH2 2YB.

HBOS:

Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh, EH1 1YZ

Dawn Anderson
Off-Road Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBS and BOS are Scottish in name only. One is over 80% owned by the taxpayer, the other over 50%. They keep their registered office in Scotland only because there is no current need to change it. Both are run from the City of London with the orders carried out up here. As soon as there is a yes vote, the Westminster government will make sure that both re-register in England and move all of their management to the south east. Many thousands of Scottish jobs will be lost as a result and the banks won't be the only firms to leave either. What price independence? It's shaping up to be a very high one indeed.

As for choosing a currency, yes any country can choose any currency but the issue is economic control. If an independent Scotland chooses sterling, and there are big question marks over whether that will be possible, SPAM Eck's whole argument about being in charge of all economic levers to make Scotland a good place to do business are blown out of the water. We'll be stuck with a currency which is controlled for the benefit of a foreign nation which will not take any notice of the possibly different economic picture here and zero control over interest rates. Given the size of Scotland's economy, there's a good chance that we'll end up with high inflation and a huge benefits bill we can't fund from taxation of a relatively small pool of workers. Population demographics are the key and we have an aging and increasingly infirm group of people here with nothing underpinning the massive spend on healthcare except Westminster's block grant. If that goes, this country will end up down the shitter very quickly. I'm not saying the block grant shouldn't be reformed, but spitting the dummy and blaming the English for everything won't make it any better.

scrunt
Articulating

Odometer: 985

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but thankfully it is a Referendum on Scotland becoming Independent from the 24th of March 2016.
So those with a vote that bother to vote will decide.

All the Polls, opinions, fear stories and propaganda will count for nowt,
those that vote have the final say.

Getting near now as this has been such a drag.

Hearing all those that say they do not know anyone that wants Independence
just means they must be people that do not know people that do want Independence.
Thats possibly just to do with the Circles they move in, obviously.
So that counts for nowt

My mum keeps saying the same thing, and she thinks that 16 year olds should not get a vote.
Totally unimpressed when it is mentioned that at 89 it makes not a jot of difference to her,
& lots of difference to those with a good few decades to live in an Independent Scotland or a not Independent Scotland.

We are Devolved anyway, and have been for 15 years,
so all that is to change is to stop having a UK Government that Scottish Voters did not vote for, no longer dictating to the Elected Scottish Government.

This rubbish about the Aberdeen Oil Industry is funny.
The Wealth of Scotland is behind an Independent Scotland,
That is the likes of, Wood Group, Cairn Oil, Clyde Blowers, Weir Group,
First Bus, Stage Coach, Tom Farmer and others.
The ones that is the Large and Wealthy Corporate Bodies that have Signed the Global Contract with China and elsewhere that is bringing the Chinese Funding that will underwrite an Independent Scotland.

BP or anyone else are not stopping taking oil and gas and expanding around Scotland anytime in the next 50 years.

Scotland got to lease the Pandas and the one that does not fire blanks for a particular reason.

george
scrunt
Articulating

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prime Minister DC MP & GO MP went to China and as much as they wanted, they never got to Lease Pandas.
Took all the top Southern Business people and call me Daves Father in law,
with all his Backers in the Renewables Industry.
Sold their souls and assumed the position, and begged.
They got no Pandas.
What they have got is the French going to build Nuclear Power Stations.

The Chinese like to invest where they can trust those they are dealing with, and where they are respected.
Well thats not anything like a UK Government.

Our Oil and Gas & Industry is obviously important to China and Pumps we are exporting for Drinking Water and so much more are important.
But then History, Tradition. Tartan, Whisky, Fish, Education Establishments, Technology
& more important than anything a friendly welcome counts for lots.

What made Scotlands Oil and Gas Industry safe was the Grangemouth Dispute & beating the Unions and Labour.
Now the Chinese know their Scottish Investments are Secure.
The Gas imports we needed for Grangemouth can now be brought in from America via Norway and the Petro Chemicals are secure.

Alex Salmond after all was an Oil Economist with RBS,
& happens to have all the Chinese connections Scotland ever needed.
Plus he knows were the Skeletons are from the Previous Scottish Based Politicians.
Bankers always know everything, be that about the Legal Fraternity or the Accountants and Especially about Politicians.
Alex Salmonds wife was a Senior Civil Servant, & he worked for the Scottish Office.
That includes the corrupt ones from Nationalists from the not so very long ago.
After all he was in the Group that were Expelled from the Nationalists.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/14/news/economy/china-panda-trade
Always good to follow the Pandas.
(& you might Notice that Canada also got the Pandas, i wonder which Banker got that Deal all signed up.)

( Gray )
Articulating

Odometer: 597

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrunt wrote:

The Chinese like to invest where they can trust those they are dealing with, and where they are respected.
Well thats not anything like a UK Government.

As a strong economy the Chinese are in a position to dictate the best possible terms which suit themselves. Trust and respect has nothing to do with it. They want to get their hands on scarce materials, especially oil. They're not going to shaft themselves just to make a deal with you - you're the one's going to be shafted. They been investing heavily in Africa to get oil and other resources. Just look at where China has been investing in the past decade to see what's happened to their economies once the Chinese have got what they wanted.

Also an independant Scotland/the rest of the UK will be weaker economically than a united UK; a united UK can negotiate a better deal with the Chinese for the UK than Scotland will be able to do themselves. That's why the Chinese want Scotland's independance.

Incidentally I work with three Scotsmen; because they live down here they can't vote (all say they'd vote YES), and I have an English mate who lives in Livingston who can vote - he also says he's voting NO, along with all the other English he knows living in Scotland. Seems like it's not the Scottish who have a say in Scotland's destiny...
scrunt
Articulating

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/First-Minister...it-China-593.aspx

The Contracts with China have been in Place from the SNP getting their first Term in Office, and more since their second term,
and the last lot of new contractsm signed and sealed,
just before George Osborne was away to China trying for the UK's share.
But always the Bridesmaid never the Bride.
China owns its 50 % or more where it wants in the likes of the Grangemouth Refinery, Petrochemical plant, Oil Exploration Companies etc.
England sadly lacks Natural Resources, a country that goes from draught and hose pipe bans to flooding, sometimez in the same year,
and the only talk of investment is on Train Lines, and that money spent on talking & Consultants.
now they are desperate not just for Shale Gas, but Investment from selling the rights to it.
& the Souths Financial Services built on no actual Productivity or Exports other than those being Produced by Companies own in India or China, maybe German is not much to offer.

So England will now have to stand on its own feet sadly.
8.3 Million in London should be able to be net Contributors, instead of many being a drain on the wealth that the UK could have had and shared all around including North & West of London.

That is how it should be with voters and ones that live here in Scotland.,
let those that live and work and add to the Economy
have the vote.

Who cares about anyone that was born in Scotland and no longer adds to the
Economy of Scotland or the Population.
Do not live here, and might never live here again, because they have a life now living out with Scotland.

5.3 Million in Scotland and expected to get to 6 million.
There should be 4 million with a vote,
but today they say there is a missing million not registered.

If all those around the World that think they are Scottish were involved we would probably have 50 million voters.

Scotland welcomes people to live here, get an education, stay and work,
or come in and work.

We have Scots all around the world working, many in the Oil Industry and they like to be a None UK Tax Payer,
So why would Scotland be giving them the Vote on the Future.

Like Sean Connery (Tam), Brian Cox. or any of the others that only Scottish Connection is being born here and still having family, here,
they are not the Future of Scotland, they are the past.

It seems to be the English that have set views on Scotland and also British including Scots that are anti Immigration yet forget where their families often came from.

We are all Jock Thompsons bairns, and there is always room for more.
Let the Wasters join the 8.3 Million in London,
and move to the English Seaside Resorts,
& bring in the Workers and Net Contributors to Scotland.
We will still have enough Benefit Claimants, Junkies and drunks still here,
and we can clamp down on them without the help of Tories.

Just keep Keith Vaz and various other Westminster MP's away from Scotlands Immigration Policy and ports or airports.
Your Scottish incomers and visitors do not need their type of welcome.

It is funny how those MP's, even Party Leaders that are here in the UK because their families came here as Economic Migrants then think the Country is full and shut the Borders.

Scotland is open for Business and welcomes all including the Chinese buying everything up,
They are doing it every place else around the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Soap Box All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: