Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

worst few hours of my life

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatboy-beef
Just got MTs

Odometer: 345

1994 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: worst few hours of my life Reply with quote

I have played rugby for 26 years.
I sort of retired / gave up in April when I got a job that required me to work most Saturdays.
the Mrs is on holiday with her mum in Turkey and does not get back till early hours of Tuesday morning. on Friday I started a week off, so I did some work on my newly acquired discovery. and had a few beers at my sister on Friday night watching the super league play off game.
got up early Saturday morning, did some cleaning and then did some DIY, mainly constructing a frame for the shelf at the side of the bath. then I tiled it. grouted it and sealed it,
looked at the time and decided to go to the club and see if I could get 20 mins / half a game. shower, food, couple of pints with the lads then out with my sister and her mates.
went on a half time and was enjoying the game, few tackles, and ball carries. doing what I do.
we got a penalty a few yards out and I took it and drove for the line.
I got tackled and went numb all over. could not move any part of my body.
in my head I was screaming for help but no words were coming out.. my legs would not work. nor my hands or arms, nothing, all numb and gone...
I just lay there on the floor prone and paralysed.

luckily one of the opposition was a spinal nurse from Salford hospital, he took control. he supported me, held my head steady. and got the ambulance sorted and co-ordinated every thing, he was helped by our club physio and a couple of others.
he was doing checks and I could feel nothing, I was telling my feet to move, telling my hand to make a fist, nothing.

then the physio turned to get a water bottle to let me wet my mouth and I felt him touch my left leg.
he did the checks again and I could feel a bit.

I lay there waiting for the ambulance I was laughing and joking with those around me, but inside I was scared to death. I thought all sorts of things. main on being that I would not get to hug my Mrs again. not stroke my dogs. even wipe my own ****.

then I felt some body touch my feet. it was my team mate mat, he had been sat there all along and I did not know. he was holding my legs still so I could not move. he had to move as he was cramping up, I had felt him I had I knew I had because could not see him.

the ambulance was slow to arrive, due to a mix up with another call to the other pitch as some one had broke their leg.

but in the half an hour they took to arrive I had recovered feeling in my feet and hands, was able to wiggle my toes and make a fist.

I was strapped to a board, taken to hospital, had a ct scan, x-rays. and lay there in a+e for about two hours waitng for results. waiting to move, waiting to be told I could not move.. just waiting.

the doc came in did tests left came back did some more left came back did them again....

in the end he came back said all was clear, no brakes no damaged nerves, no damaged cords. just a very very bad case of whiplash..

I was allowed to be un-strapped, the blocks removed and then allowed to try and sit up. and I did it, needed a bit of help but I did it.
I sat and waited to be allowed to leave, and had to do a few more tests with the doc. but he gave me the all clear.

I then WALKED out of a+e. what a feeling. walking, being able to open the door, carry my bag. I even went back to the club collected my car, drove to the take away and home.

woke up this morning and am in so much pain its un-true. very stiff and sore but fully functioning.

so please people be as safe as you can be and hug the one you love, because you never know it may be the last time you do it.

ps sorry for the length of this post..

beef

oh just bought a discovery.. 21/09/2013
rob546454
Just got MTs

Odometer: 232

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very inspiring. Good to know you came out alright. It must have been a very unpleasant experience.
94 3.0 Hilux/4Runner (RIP)
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nature's warning - get out now...

There's no getting away from the fact that rugby is a violent game, with 26 years of playing you got to be around your 40s so it ain't good to be playing with youngsters any more - afraid you should be playing with the old boys Laughing if you have any your way.

Glad you survived the ordeal in one piece, albeit with after pain, wishing you a speedy recovery
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 40007

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary experience indeed. Glad it turned out OK and as has been said - heed the warning, you're too old!
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - yes that's right, I have a Zook!
DD
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 9761

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that had to be scary. I considered getting back into rugby a couple of years ago, but after watching a few games I realized I'd just be destroyed.

All the best, hope you're back on your feet soon...so to speak! Shocked

'I came, I saw, I locked the diff'
unclebazwold
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 65

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always tell my other half I love her before i leave the house even if we had had a silly row not only cos i do love her but in case something horrible should happen thank god your accident turned into good news.
Bazza
fatboy-beef
Just got MTs

Odometer: 345

1994 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 32, started just before my 6th birthday.
I am gonna listen to the warning no more.
sad times as I love the sport, but that's it no more, just watching it on telly and find some thing else to fill my time... oh wait I just bought a land rover.. Laughing Laughing

oh just bought a discovery.. 21/09/2013
scrunt
Articulating

Odometer: 985

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are OK.
The body is quite amazing at what it can stand up to, but so easily can be broken.

My sons brother, (same mother), fell 4 storeys from a building and luckily has survived.
http://news.stv.tv/east-central/241431-window-c...r-harness-snapped

george

EDIT> Very Happy Out of hospital in only 7 days.
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/window-c...ft-fall-1-3123617

Last edited by scrunt on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's to a happy ending...

...I gave up playing when it took longer to recover thanthe time between matches.

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a scary one and I'm also delighted it worked out well, but I've got a slightly different take on things. You only live once, life is for taking by the scruff of the neck and enjoying. If you love doing something then do it until you don't enjoy it and find something else. If it is dangerous then so be it.

Agreed, you don't know the future and it could all end horribly tomorrow but that is reason to love and laugh and share in the joy of those around you not to coddle yourself in cotton wool.

I'm sure this is nature's way of telling you that rugby is for watching not playing so I recommend driving a Landy of cliffs belayed by some thin rope for amusement!

At Drumclog last Saturday I nearly rolled my buggy in a big way with my 15 year old beside me. Her reaction - "do that again but bigger" whilst mine was a silent "AAAAAAaaaaaargh". It helped me find my off road mojo again.

jeepmadmike
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4573

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been sooooooooo scary

A friends son had a similar experience after falling head first from a trampoline, mum and dad went through hell for a while till the little lad just sat up while in A&E.....

Glad your on the mend

Now i have gone and bought a D4!

one day i might buy a 86" series one like my dad had when i was a boy.
Grant B
Articulating

Odometer: 984

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, a mate of mine had a very similar experience playing rugby. He piled into a ruck, hit his head on someones knee, and collapsed. No feeling in arms, legs etc. We managed to get him flat on his back while supporting all the correct bits etc. It took a couple of hours before he regained full feeling and movement. Spinal concussion the doc called it.

Very, very scary we called it...................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: