Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

500kg trailer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muffin
Just got MTs

Odometer: 129

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: 500kg trailer Reply with quote

First of all I apologise for asking yet anoter trailer question!

I have a tiny tailed that weighs roughly 500kg (5ftx3ft) so it's very small.
Does that mean that on a swb 2.5 shogun I can tow about 200kg on a normal B license?
Thanks
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tow 750kgs with a normal B licence, so with an unladen weight of 500kgs, that would mean you'd be able to load it with 250kgs...

<EDIT>

And that is wrong Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You would be able to tow up to 3500kgs minus the weight of your truck but a maximum of 750kgs if it is a un-braked trailer or if the weight of your truck exceeds 2749kgs
Munkee
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1505

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you have a 5x3 trailer that weighs 500kg???

Are you sure that's not it's load limit?

In America, some fundamental Christians believe that the world is only 5000 years old, In England, some of us drink in pubs older than that.
fourtrak craige
Articulating

Odometer: 863

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

made out of solid gold by any chance? Laughing

for all diahatsu parts give bloodredoffroad.com a call
muffin
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha my trailer is made out of lead!!!

I got it wrong it weighs 80kg and can hold 500kg
ferguson_tom
Gate Opener

Odometer: 49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tow any trailer up to 750kg with any vehicle up to 3500kg (as long as within car limits) So can tow it with your truck.
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 10758

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him

My brain hurts.

Your trailer, plus its load, must not exceed the MGM that is painted or stamped on the trailer chassis. If the trailer weighs 80kg, and the afore mentioned MGW, is 500kg, then your payload is 420kg.

NO trailer which is unbraked may have an MGW (or ALW) greater than 750kg.

NO trailer, which is unbraked, may have a MGW (or ALW) greater than 50% of the UNLADEN weight of the tow car. Note ...UNLADEN WEIGHT, not KERB WEIGHT.

A Cat. B licence holder may drive a car and trailer which have a combined MGW of 3500kg. That 3500kg may be exceeded provided the car does not EXCEED 3500kg MGW, and the trailer does not EXCEED 750kg MGW. You cannot "mix and match" those weights.

If you exceed the MGW limits of your licence, you are driving without a licence, and therefore are uninsured.

Note, it is the plated MGW (MAM) that matters, the ACTUAL weights have no bearing, unless they exceed the MGW ...... or you are towing with a motor-cycle (I think).

If your little trailer has a plate saying 500kg, and no brakes, you cannot tow it with a SJ410, or whatever.

fourtrak craige
Articulating

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i was want to clear this up if its ok? sorryt o steal your thread, but i have a fourtrak, they are rated at 3.5 ton.

i tow a 3.5 load limit flat bed trailer with a 1.5 ton mini digger, i'm on a standard licence. is this legal???

muffin
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you pass your test craige?
If after 1997 then you will need to take a trailer test to tow that weight
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tow a 3.5 load limit flat bed trailer with a 1.5 ton mini digger, i'm on a standard licence. is this legal???
Hi,

The payload is included in the MGW.

You are OK provided you have a Cat.B+E licence.

If you have only a Cat.B licence, you are limited to towing no more than 100% of your Fourtrack (1650kg?) So NO, you can't tow your 3500kg MGW trailer.

The omly safe way is to find the relevent figures on the chassis plates of the tow car and trailer, write them down, and switch on your calculator.

Why do the Law Makers make it so difficult?

fourtrak craige
Articulating

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cheers, yep passed in 06 Embarassed

well that clears that up, on my tractor it goes then Smile

its so blooming hard to get your head around all of this Evil or Very Mad

ferguson_tom
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a pain the trailer rules and regulations, stupid thing was i could tow my caravan with my old car but couldnt tow it with my nissan terrano as goes over the 3500kg limit with the standard car license.

If you have the time and a bit of money do the trailer test that way you wont have to worry ever again. Some of the 2 day courses sound a bit steep but if you call them up and explain you have been towing for ages you can normally bring the price down a lot and do it all in one day. I paid about £400 quid for a days training including the test fee.

The biggest joke is the trailer test is a waste of time there is nothing to do with safe loading or anthing useful like that, the reversing test is very very easy, the biggest problem is they mark you as like a normal driving test so push pull steering, mirror signal manoeuvre etc. I failed my first test as i sat behind a bus too long and got done for undue hesitation, retook it and only got 2 minors a week later.

I would suggest doing a little bit of training as well as there are some things they want you to do in the test that you wouldnt think of day to day. I am actually teaching my brother it so he can do his now.
fourtrak craige
Articulating

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferguson_tom wrote:
Its a pain the trailer rules and regulations, stupid thing was i could tow my caravan with my old car but couldnt tow it with my nissan terrano as goes over the 3500kg limit with the standard car license.

If you have the time and a bit of money do the trailer test that way you wont have to worry ever again. Some of the 2 day courses sound a bit steep but if you call them up and explain you have been towing for ages you can normally bring the price down a lot and do it all in one day. I paid about £400 quid for a days training including the test fee.

The biggest joke is the trailer test is a waste of time there is nothing to do with safe loading or anthing useful like that, the reversing test is very very easy, the biggest problem is they mark you as like a normal driving test so push pull steering, mirror signal manoeuvre etc. I failed my first test as i sat behind a bus too long and got done for undue hesitation, retook it and only got 2 minors a week later.

I would suggest doing a little bit of training as well as there are some things they want you to do in the test that you wouldnt think of day to day. I am actually teaching my brother it so he can do his now.

well thing is generally i run around with 5x6foot car trailers or largest being 40 odd foot artic trailers plus dolly on a tractor. and i've been doing that for over 15 years. by no means am i saying i'm a pro though. i still have troubles every now n then.

like yesterday for example, i took two loads of scrap n weighed it in. then on my way home with an empty trailer, the axle bolts decided to shear and the axle flew off. Shocked but by no means had the trailer been over loaded with the scrap

ferguson_tom
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job they held on till after you delivered the scrap, could have been interesting.

Thats another joke of the trailer tests you can be towing for years and years and still possibly fail the test because you didnt tick the box they want you to do on the test, and practical day to day trailer towing is nothing like the stuff you do in the test. I passed my normal car test when i was 17 and just did my trailer test this year (now 22) so for 5 years i have been towing caravans and trailers. I actually got told on the first test 'i can see you are safe and confident with a towing a trailer but have to fail you as you waited behind the bus too long.'
muffin
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait I drive a a SWB shogun 2.5td.
I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to tow my boss' 12 foot ifor Williams that weighs about 1 tonne?! Still on a normal B license

I will take the test eventually but just don't have the funds at the moment and trying to find a way to tow stuff
fourtrak craige
Articulating

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferguson_tom wrote:
Good job they held on till after you delivered the scrap, could have been interesting.

Thats another joke of the trailer tests you can be towing for years and years and still possibly fail the test because you didnt tick the box they want you to do on the test, and practical day to day trailer towing is nothing like the stuff you do in the test. I passed my normal car test when i was 17 and just did my trailer test this year (now 22) so for 5 years i have been towing caravans and trailers. I actually got told on the first test 'i can see you are safe and confident with a towing a trailer but have to fail you as you waited behind the bus too long.'

i'm sure i would fail it first time, not that i can afford to do the test to start with Sad

but saying that, i had the 3.2 ton trailer on the back of the fourtrak yesterday with my broken trailer on and i drove slowly passed at least 7 police officers and they didn't do anything.

and yep was very lucky that the trailer didn't break with a load on, but its fixed now Laughing took all day to do but its done. just needs tyres changing and she's ready for more work Razz

ferguson_tom
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muffin wrote:
I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to tow my boss' 12 foot ifor Williams that weighs about 1 tonne?! Still on a normal B license

I will take the test eventually but just don't have the funds at the moment and trying to find a way to tow stuff

Nope not on a normal license, chances are that trailer max is 3500kg like most IFORs it is all done on maximum allowed not the actual weight of the trailer at the time. So even if its empty you cant tow it.

Sounds good quick fixing on the trailer, to be honest i think if the police see a trailer as long as it looks right they dont pay too much attention.
fourtrak craige
Articulating

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferguson_tom wrote:
muffin wrote:

Nope not on a normal license, chances are that trailer max is 3500kg like most IFORs it is all done on maximum allowed not the actual weight of the trailer at the time. So even if its empty you cant tow it.

Sounds good quick fixing on the trailer, to be honest i think if the police see a trailer as long as it looks right they dont pay too much attention.

so what your saying is the 3.5 ton ifor i had on the back, i'm not menna tow just because somewhere it say 3.5 ton? Shocked

these rules must be made up by the second. Evil or Very Mad

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what your saying is the 3.5 ton ifor i had on the back, i'm not menna tow just because somewhere it say 3.5 ton?

Hi,

That's about the size of it!

I'm guessing that it makes it easy for Plod, or man in white coat, just to look st the chassis plates, compare the figures, write you a ticket. But this can lead to some crazy results. For instance .....

My 30ft long boat trailer had ULW of 752kg, and MGW of 3500kg. That meant that a Cat.B licence holder could not tow it. But he could load that trailer onto a smaller trailer with 1000kg MGW, and be allowed to tow that. Same "footprint", and greater weight.

My Disco has an ULW of about 2000kg, and a MGW of about 2700kg. A Cat.B driver is restricted to a total MGW of 3500kg, so is limited to towing a trailer of about 800kg. Some Austin Metros can tow 800kgs. Shocked A Cat.B+E driver can tow 3500kg with a Disco, or even 4000kg if the trailer has posh brakes. The anomaly is that a Cat.B driver can pull a heavier trailer if he is driving a lighter tug. Confused

I understand that some Land Rovers leave the factory with a MGW in excess of 3500kg. ???? So a Cat.B driver would not be allowed to drive them at all.

Can anyone advise? Are we allowed to change the trailer plate, so that it shows a lighter MGW? Is there a market for a selection of magnetic chassis plates? Very Happy

Yorkie (RIP) was allowed to change the tax disc on his tractor unit according to the MGW of the semi-trailer he was pulling. For thse of our younger readers who never saw the advert on TV, a sun bronzed, blonde, Adonis used to enjoy a Yorkie chocolate bar while driving his pantechnicon .... probably get fined for doing that nowadays. Whatever, he died recently, but left a legacy of a nick-name for truck drivers.

ferguson_tom
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w3526602 wrote:
[b]
Can anyone advise? Are we allowed to change the trailer plate, so that it shows a lighter MGW? Is there a market for a selection of magnetic chassis plates? Very Happy

Thats what i did on my old car transporter trailer so i could tow it with either our freelander (2 tons) or my terrano (2.7tons). Not sure if it was legal though as was never stopped. You can buy plates off ebay and just stamp them or write them yourselves i think as long as it has one on it the police wont be too fussed. I no IFOR can reclassify trailers for you and i think all they do is put a different weight plate on.

My brother was stopped once with his old caravan which had one of the home made plates on and they seemed happy enough with it.
muffin
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway I can tow a small 4x4 (jimny or vitara size)
On a trailer with my shogun still on a cat B license
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w3526602 wrote:

Yes you can get your MGW weight changed - it would have to be done by the manufacturer - but it can be done

But... anyone using that trailer would have to abide by the new MGW and not exceed it otherwise they'd be overloading the trailer.

This is done often by caravan owners usually in the other direction when the manufacturer underrate the MGW to gain more sales of their products for those that only have a B cat licence
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Freedom caravans are manufactured with MGW of 850kgs, but the UK dealer down-plates them to 750kg. I can't work out why, cos Cat.B drivers can pull the same as the unladen weight of their car, and there can't be many cars with ULW of 750kg or less that are rated to tow 750kgs. ????

Whatever, I asked for my new Freedom to be rated at 850kg, giving it a 200kg payload .... just in case I want to bring a load of wine back from France. I had to wait for a chassis plate to be sent from Poland, but it was a no cost upgrade.

I read somewhere that VOSA likes commercial vehicles to be modified in some way to justify the replating. But of course, goods vehicles are Type Approved, while trailers are not ..... until September.

As it is, my little box trailer wears a 600kg MGW label, cos thats what the tyres are rated at. (Standard Mini wheels are rated at 620kg per axle). I suppose I could change that to something like 400kg, so Barbara could tow it (unbraked) behind her KIA, but then it would have a silly payload when I put it behind the Disco. How about fitting two plates, point to the one that is relevent when somebody asks . Confused

ferguson_tom
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muffin wrote:
Is there anyway I can tow a small 4x4 (jimny or vitara size)
On a trailer with my shogun still on a cat B license

Not that i can think of legally. The SWB shogun max weight is 2500kg ish so that only gives you a max trailer weight of 1000kg. The LWB is 2700 so only max trailer of 800kg as your gross train weight needs to be under 3500kg.
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a silly thought after Toms reply above...

My Pajero only has a GTW of 4.9 tonne on it's plate - no vehicle weight - no axle weight

Would this mean a person with a B cat would not be legal driving it???
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pajero only has a GTW of 4.9 tonne on it's plate - no vehicle weight - no axle weight

Hi,

Pajeros are grey imports, presumably from Japan. As such, it is unusual for them to have any reference to their towing capacity, and therefore (arguably) they are not allowed to tow anything. Quickly closes that can of worms.

I suspect that VOSA would "default" to actual laden weight, and if that exceeds 3500kg .......... Er, my brain is starting to hurt, so I suggest that you ask VOSA.

Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w3526602 wrote:

Hi,

Pajeros are grey imports, presumably from Japan. As such, it is unusual for them to have any reference to their towing capacity, and therefore (arguably) they are not allowed to tow anything. Quickly closes that can of worms.

I suspect that VOSA would "default" to actual laden weight, and if that exceeds 3500kg .......... Er, my brain is starting to hurt, so I suggest that you ask VOSA.

Not exactly worried as I have pre 97 licence anyway and the Pajero's plate shows the Gross Train Weight only. as do all Japanese grey imports.

It's very handy as who is to say it's not a 3501kg truck which means that I can tow a & metre+ trailer with it...

No officer it is NOT a Shogun you can not apply a Shogun's plated weight to it Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
fourtrak craige
Articulating

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so would that be the same for my fourtrak then?

Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fourtrak craige wrote:
so would that be the same for my fourtrak then?

All I can say is read the plate - mind you if it is and the GTW exceeds 3.5 tonnes you may be driving it illegally Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
fourtrak craige
Articulating

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't see no plate Twisted Evil

n i can't read.

don't know what weights are.

who am i? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: