Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Flat battery on my Disco. And more?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Electrical, Comms and ICE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 10758

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Flat battery on my Disco. And more? Reply with quote

Hi,

Disco stood in road for about a month, though I did start it a couple of time, to move it a few feet. Then one day, it slowly turned over, but failed to start. Barbara gave me a tug with her Hyundai i10. Shocked I drove about 10 miles, let garage fo an oil and filter change. She started OK, and I drove home.

Disco stood in road for another two weeks without being started (surgeon said no driving for two weeks). Time to fill up with petrol, ready for the Xmas trip to Milton Keynes. Turning the key produced a soft rattle from the starter solenoid.

Drove into town in Barbara's car, did some shopping around. Halfords wanted £95 for a 072. The DIY Car Emporium wanted £85. I decided to buy from Halfords ... must be getting old.

Surgeon said no lifting for six weeks! Oh sod it, batteries ain't "heavy lifting". Worst bit was the need for Gynological skills getting the clamp onto its retaining bolts. Turn key ...Brmm! Brmm!

Question! Last time I drove the Disco in the dark, I felt the head lamps were rather dim. Could a failing battery have that effect? Or would the bulbs have lost their efficiency over the last 17 years? Should I lash out on halogen bulbs, or will standard bulbs light the way? SWMBO says I will sell the Disco as soon as my 1959 Series 2 is on the road, so I don't want to spend more than I need on something that won't be used that often. Tightwad, me!

Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 40007

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dim headlights and flat battery could point to an alternator problem
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - yes that's right, I have a Zook!
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dim headlights and flat battery could point to an alternator problem

Hi,

I agree about the dim lamps.

But a trip to the garage cured the flat battery. I suspect that daily use would have kept the battery alive. I will put the old battery on charge over Xmas, then see if it holds a charge.

No doubt I will find out in due course. I must look at the old battery, see if there is a date on it. I don't remember a battery appearing on the 15 years worth of receipts.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I fitted a new battery to the Disco. She started, though maybe not as enthusiatically as I would have expected ... but within a couple of seconds of turning the key. That was before Xmas. I have driven to MK and back, 300 miles, since fitting battery, all daylight.

She has been standing in road for a week, so this morning I waited till the glow-plug lamp went out. Turn key. Sort of "Grunt - Brmmmm!"

I drove about ten miles to Builders Merchant, spent about 10 to 15 minutes buying some wood. Returned to the Disco, found it parked with all lamps lit. Doh! Turn key, got a death rattle from the solenoid. Double Doh!

Luckily, the Builders Merchant had a "starter pack" (£1000, he said). fix to battery clamps, engine leapt into life. I want more of that! So that eliminates a starter motor problem.

Builders Merchant then tested charge rate. 15.6 volts with engine running, all lamps on, hazards on, wipers on, heater fan on. So that eliminates the alternator.

Engine starting after standing for a week eliminates the battery... I think.???

All I can think of now, is bad connection between battery post and battery clamp. Its raining, so I didn't bother looking today.

Builders Merchant muttered something about Coppaslip grease on battery posts. I'm not sure if he was telling me to put some on, or wipe some off. To my eyes, posts look greasy, but I never put any grease on, and I have owned this car for over a year now. It has always been an immediate, ... with or without glow-plugs .... but starter motor always seemed slow. If the engine turned over TDC, even slowly, it fired. It was FAST with starter pack connected. Any other ideas?

Let Luce
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4018

1977 Land Rover 101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15.6v sounds too high to me, likely to not do the battery any good, keep an eye on the fluid level in it.
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Disco has been standing since my last mail. I went out today, turned key, didn't wait for the glow plugs. She turned over fairly briskly, started within a second and a half.

I wonder if the glow plugs are pulling her down?

dxmedia
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2185

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glows wont kill a battery that quick. You'd have an engine fire on your hands if something was shorting that much current.

Check the earth strap from the engine to the chassis.
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Having eliminated everything I could think of, I took the battery back.
Bloke behind counter stuck some fancy tester on it, nodded his head, gave me a new one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Electrical, Comms and ICE All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: