Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Heavy Duty 93 Wrangler YJ V8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

Odometer: 190

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Heavy Duty 93 Wrangler YJ V8 Reply with quote

Unfortunately my recently started build of a '79 Cherokee Wagoneer has been brought to an abrupt end Sad ...but for good reason. I've just bought a modified Wrangler. Very Happy

As much I was very much looking forward to building a tube buggy-esk thing, I have ALWAYS wanted a wrangler. I think they're just uber cool. Now this in its own wouldn't of been enough to make me part with my monies, but this particular wrangler is pretty much perfect for what I wanted to achieve with the Cherokee.

Modifications already been carried out:
- New 8 Point CDS cage
- New 4 link Jonny jointed suspension front and rear
- As new Dana 60 axles front and rear
- New Racing coil suspension
- Fuel tank+pump already fitted
- New Bucket seats with harnesses
- New body work

Unfortunately it does need some work doing, but this is where the parts from the Cherokee will come in.
- Needs engine+box - I'll be using the AMC 360 V8 and TH400 to keep the truck all Jeep
- Needs brake master - I was going to use the Cherokee one, but instead I'll use a later Cherokee with a double servo assist.
- Needs props - I was planning on getting a conversion U-Joint from D44 to D60 and use/modify the D44 props.
- Needs some tyres - Ill see what I can find in the 35"-37" sort of size. They should set if off nicely.

All in all - a lot less work than building from scratch!

The wranglers been home for a week or so now and the work has begun. I've stripped all the ancillaries off the V8 and cleaned up the block ready to spray when it's ready for final assembly. I've now installed the Torqmaster inlet manifold and Trunk Avenger carb. These should free up a few ponies and get the engine running a bit better than with the rubbish Motorcraft carb.

The engine and box have now been removed from the Cherokee and offered up to the Wrangler. I removed all the front panels which was surprisingly easy, only took 10 minutes and it gave excellent access. The mounts in the Wrangler would of been OK if it was on standard suspension but as its on 4 link, I needed more clearance. I've made up some new engine mounts to lift the engine about 50mm and push it back as far as I could get it. This has given me much more room at the front for a manly radiator and by the starter. Until I can flex it up I won't know if its enough space by the starter though. Theres a few things I can do to get more later if required.
Now the engine is on new mounts, I need to make a gearbox mount but unfortunately I run out of light today, will try again tomorrow.

The biggest pronlem I can see so far is the exhaust. There is very little room for it passed the gearbox, the 4 link mount and the Jeep floor. The standard manifold doesn't really point in the right place. I've looked for aftermarket manifolds but none of them look like they'd fit. I can't go for a fenderwell manifold either as the rock sliders would be in the way. So no cunning plan yet but I'll think of something...

Unfortunately the gearbox is still proving to be a pest. I couldn't get reverse to work in the Cherokee and I've since had everything to bits. I found one accuumulator broken which I've now replaced but other then that it all looked good. It does do something different now though. When I select 'R' now it turns about half a turn forwards, then locks solid. Before it just went forwards. So I don't know... Need to sort this out to.

I'll try and upload some pictures of some progress tomorrow.

Before I bought it...

https://www.facebook.com/ScreamerOffroad
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've got it:

lamby2009
Just got MTs

Odometer: 271

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: spring Reply with quote

if you ever want to sell those red springs give me a buzzz
Rizla 1
Articulating

Odometer: 656

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh - was you who bought it - I bid Dave on that as was going to break it up for the axles and four link and the shell was going to go to Norway Cool will make a great car you going to use it for Eurotrail ?
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol yea Dave said you were trying to get your mitts on it! Fortunately you didn't Razz

Once it's all together if it works as well as it should, there has been discussion with my brother (who came to watch this year) about him driving it in Eurotrial. I'll be sticking with the green machine for next year as now many of the bugs have been squished, it's now a much more capable machine than it was this year (and I can drive it better now!). Am I right in thinking that without lockers/fiddles it'd be in Modified class? I don't really know the difference between mods/pro-mod etc?

Been working on it again today. I've now made the rear crossmember to hold the gearbox and it all fits quite snug. Ive got about 10mm above the gearbox and about 10mm below it to the bash plate. Figured out some of the existing wiring as well. Got it all running in the truck on the new carb - started smack! The only problem I've encountered is the fuel pump in the tank appears to be a high pressure pump which isn't much use with the carb. This is going to need replacing...

Rizla 1
Articulating

Odometer: 656

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockers don't make any differance to the class as you can have them them in all but original - fiddles only Pro-mod up
The body is fine for mod class but would all depend on suspension your ending up with - you would have to check with the rules

If you can go with Mods might be better as the places in the pro-mod class are harder to get -
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I don't think it'd be up to ProMod anyway, you lot are pretty wild!

Anyway, picked up another AMC 5.9 V8 and TH400 yesterday. The engine is just as a spare as I'll probably strip it and rebuild it when I have time. I'm hoping that the TH400 will be in full working order though, unlike the one I've stripped and rebuilt, but is still playing up. Another bonus, this one came with the low reduction box on the transfer box, not something thats easy to come by! Smile

This evening I pulled the engine and faulty transmission back out the truck. Removed the gearbox and fitted the replacement one.

The next job is to strengthen up the engine mounts I tacked up with the engine in and gusset up the gearbox crossmember. Over this week (if it isn't too freezing) I hope to get the truck mounts and the engine ready to put back together for the weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to tack up some exhaust and I can finally make a bit of noise Very Happy

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update:

Strengthened up the engine mounts:

Beefed up the Gearbox crossmember. Before:

After:

Made up a bracket for the later Cherokee double servo:

Used the bulkhead bracket to cover up the clutch master cylinder hole.

Tacked up bracket:

Servo + MC fitted. Fits snug under the bonnet and luckily the rod was the right size for the pedal. Score!

The two new yokes for the axles to match the joints on the props I already have. Now I just need to lengthen/shorten the two props, no conversion joints required.

So had a productive couple of evenings. Got a replacement fuel pump on the way. Waiting for some high temp paint for the engine. All being well I'll have the engine back in and piped up this weekend. Very Happy

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't get quite as much time on it as I was planning this weekend. Ended up Eurostyle trialling down Slindon on the Sunday. I did manage to get a few things done on the Saturday though...

Degreased the engine, again, and rubbed down the remaining parts ready for spraying.

Sprayed the 'red' high temperature paint on the block and for now the rocker covers. I will change these at a later date. Annoyingly the 'red' paint didn't come out red, its much more orange! Also cleaned up some of the brackets and the two engine mounts and sprayed them silver.

Sprayed up the engine mounts in black to match the chassis. Also cleaned the firewall behind the engine where it will be a pest to get to later.

Dropped the engine back in and on its mounts. Time to start connecting stuff up Very Happy

I need to reassemble the nose and mount the radiator and water pipes next. The replacement low pressure fuel pump has arrived so that needs to go in the tank. Following that I've got some wiring to sort out, but being a carb'd motor it's pretty straightforward.

Once it's all running it'll be time to pipe up the brakes. I've got all the stuff here, it's all waiting on me!

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the day off today so got a bit more done in the daylight.

I've sprayed the block again, this time in situe, and this time with 'flame red'. It now looks much more like the colour of the truck. Cool

I've also been spraying up the remaining brackets and cleaning the ancillaries. These have started going back on.

I finished mounting the gearbox/engine, fitted a new filter to the gearbox and filled with new fluid. Was trying to fire it all up with the new fuel pump but annoyingly something is wrong. I don't seem to be able to get any fuel out of the pump. It's supposed to be new but there is a lot of noise going on for no petrol Evil or Very Mad

GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good mate! Cool

Nice work on those mounts, I sympathise with the paint, happens to us all.

octo0072000
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: pump Reply with quote

plenty fuel in the tank was this a injection set up if so is the intank working
pipes back to front on fuel pump
im sure you will work it out Wink

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Stu, never trust the tin cans... they LIE!

I've now sussed the problem with the fuel pump... apparently the brand new Land Rover pump is knackered! I got fed up with it today so pulled it to pieces and found the motor had sheared off the tiny winy bit of plastic which connects it to the pump fan. Well that lasted a long time! Usual LR build quality... anyway, I've now installed an external 'ticker' pump which seems to pump fuel, useful for a fuel pump.

Todays largely been putting stuff back together. Refitted the power steering pump, alternator, air con pump and oil cooler lines. Once these were all back on I was able to fire it up to test the gearbox...nervous times!

On the first turn over the V8 burst into life. First gear selected the pinion spun heathily anti-clockwise. So far so good... Stopped the engine and selected reverse... again first turn over she fired, pinion spun clockwise! Wahey! Looks like I might be in business. Obviously I don't know if theres much shove behind it but spinning the right way is the first hurdle! Very Happy

I've now started mounting the radiator. It fits pretty snug under the bonnet. It was advertised for a LHD only, but can't see what the difference is, except it being half the price of the RHD one. Need to buy a few silicone hoses to make the water hoses tidy.

Next job, squeeze and exhaust to the back and wire up the engine properly/tidily.

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last few nights I've completed mounting the radiator. Ordered some silicon hoses for the water pipes. These have arrived and with a bit of trimming fit nicely. The rad 'just' fits under the bonnet so it really is as far forward and as high as I could get it. It had to be there to get the monster fan (rescued from a 4.7 V8 Cherokee) in.

I've bought some 90 degree bends for the heater hoses but need to join them together somehow, not sure if to go solid or flexible hose.

I've also started the wiring. Mounted the starter solenoid and cut out a load of cables not really needed. Tieing up and hiding the required cabling has started as I'm going to try and tuck most of the cables away. I hate things dangling round engine bays! Going to get a couple of battery cables cut and crimped up for me tomorrow so I can power it all up properly on the weekend. Smile

Some good progress this week...

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my battery cables made on Wednesday so put the in loosely this evening. Engine turns over very well now.

Also picked up some 16mm aluminium tube to make the heater hoses with. I was originally going to just run normal hose about the place but I think this looks much better, and to be fair, its probably considerably easier to.

Pulled out a few more cables and got it down to the minimum about the engine bay. I've only got the fuel pump to wire in and she should start on the key Very Happy

octo0072000
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: fuel pump Reply with quote

why not use the original engine driven fuel pump more reliable than electric one Cool
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could of done but with the change of carb, and the mechanical pump being 30+ years old, I think the electric one should be just as reliable. Well, when I buy a new one anyway. Just got one thats been lieing around in the shed at the moment...
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been putting some hours in over the last week and made some good progress. I've now largely completed the wiring, everything is working off the ignition with regards to the engine. I did have a few head scratching moments when I got the truck to start, but then it wouldn't stop, but soon traced that to a wire in the wrong place Embarassed

Also started the exhaust system. I bought 4m of 65mm steel tube to build the exhaust from. With the gap for the exhaust only being around 80mm this didn't leave a lot of room. Lots of tweaking later and I have made two sections half the length of the truck. Thats all welded up now and just needs bracing at a later date. Once I've bought a couple of silencers and decided what I want the exit to look like, I can make the rest of it.

I've now made up the linkage to the high/low ratio box. In the original truck this is a handle in the passenger footwell. In true recycling style, I salvaged the original handle and it's now fitted in the wrangler footwell. I've also modified the fitted shifter with the original cherokee shifter cable so I now have gear selection.

The brakes have now been piped up. I made two flexible lines running up 2 of the links to the axles, then used copper pipe to run back to the master cylinder. This has minimised the amount of joints I needed. I've not yet put any fluid in as I had no one available to pump the pedal.

Lastly I started on making the props. I cut the end off the original rear prop in preparation for shortening it. I tried removing the rear axle pinion to replace it with the 1310x joint pinion but it stuck solid! I heated it as much as I could and had some manual bearing pullers/bars/hammers all on it and it wouldn't budge. I'm going to see if I can acquire some hydraulic pullers to give it some more ****. Evil or Very Mad

Hopefully a few more days and I can put the radiator back on fill the truck with water/antifreeze, build a rear + front prop, bleed up the brakes and I should be able to move it under its own power Very Happy all be it noisily!

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update on the wrangler...

- Now finished all water pipes, filled with water + antifreeze, no leaks.
- Made a large part of the exhaust system. I'm keeping the two banks seperate firstly 'cause it's cool and secondly because there's hardly any room to join them together anyway. I have put a silencer in each half which has taken the edge off it but it is still quite loud. Only got the section under the bed left to made but a I'll just make it straight through and see if it's bearable for now.
- Connected up all brake pipes and bled up as required. No leaks first time :icon_biggrin:
- Connected up shifter cable. I'm using the shift stick which came with the truck. It's nice and compact and well positioned. Would of liked to of kept the column shift from the cherokee but hey ho.
- Put some olf tyres I had lieing around on and checked the rear axle ratio. I think its a little over 4 so it's pointing to 4.1 which would make sense for the D60.
- Made and fitted the rear prop. I've just cut down the original cherokee one for now. The 1310x yokes make this super easy once I could finally pull the old dastard off. The rear was seriously tight, had to steal my mates hydraulic pullers which struggled! I've yet to decide on the front prop. It's going to be pretty long so I was thinking of finding another cherokee rear, although I don't have a massive amount of room, so the diameter can't be too big. For now, she's just a 360 RWD Twisted Evil
- The high/low ratio selector is in and connected up.

Now the brakes/water/fuel/exhaust is all largely completed, it may be time to pull her out of the shed for the first time this weekend. Will get an idea of the performance and gearing then, and of course make some noise/V8 music Twisted Evil

zukmeista
Just got MTs

Odometer: 176

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can you tell me what Jeep you got the fan off and what diameter it is? Cheers. Very Happy
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zukmeista wrote:
Hi, can you tell me what Jeep you got the fan off and what diameter it is? Cheers. Very Happy

Just measured the fan for you, its about 19.5" across and about 65mm deep. It was from a 1997ish Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8.

Well I'm hitting a bit of a wall at the moment. I had the truck running the other day the best it's run so far, when it backfired from the intake and stopped instantly. Since then I've been unable to get it to run properly. It just splutters and pops and bangs.

I firstly found that the distributer had chewed it's drive up causing it to only turn intermittently so I think this is what probably caused the initial back fire. I've now fitted another and retimed it all up and I'm confident this is correct.

It seems to be constantly overfueling. If I dry everything out, empty the carbs except a small bit of fuel, it will start and run then conk out as it runs out of fuel. As soon as I fill the carb it very quickly just bogs down and stops. If I pull the plugs out they're all always wet with fuel.

I'm not particularly experienced with carbs but is it possible something could of been damaged when it backfired when the dizzy failed?

Any help/advice much appreciated as it's doing my (Christmas) tree in now!

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out it was the distributer messing me around. So with that replaced, it all burst back into life. Very Happy Damn trucks...

Now she's running I've put all the nose back on, bled up the water system and filled with fluids.

For the first time she's moved under her own power out of the shed :greggmo:

Now it runs and moves, the next list of jobs...
- find a wiring diagram to connect up gauges although I might fit some aftermarket ones I have here (off my single seater but I never use them).
- wiring diagram for the alternator and connect up.
- find something to make the front prop from.
- install a fan switch and wire up fan. I've contemplated just reintalling the viscous fan... any thoughts?
- find some tyres that are bigger than rollerskates.

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following from my last post:
- I've wired up the gauges using new senders meant for the original 2.5 engine
- I used a front prop from the wagoneer I had spare. It needed lengthening so I took it up to Proptech to get modified. It fits perfect.
- I've swapped back to a viscous fan. Simplicity at its best.
- FINALLY found some reasonable sized tyres local enough to me. I think they greatly help it's stance!

Got the V8 fired up and running well now. I've replaced the truck avenger carb which I found to be faulty with a newly rebuilt 4 barrel.

Next on the list:
- Fit some dislocation cones to the rear springs, they like to fall out!
- stop the gearbox oil leak
- fit and wire up some rear lights
- fit expansion bottle
- fit washer bottle

The first outing will be next month at a punch hunt with Mid West offroad. Can't wait to get it in the mud! Twisted Evil

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let play time commence Twisted Evil

We'll need photo's Very Happy

TJ_in_Dubai
Just got MTs

Odometer: 371

1997 Jeep Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Jeep! Very Happy
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this elsewhere...

Quote:

Hi Guys! I work for a television company called Dragonfly Film & Television Productions who are a Bafta winning company. I'm currently working on an off road programme that will be aired on Discovery Channel and we are looking for a 2000-2002 Flame Red TJ Wrangler to use as a background car for one days shoot on the 3rd of July. This means that the jeep won't be used for driving on camera and will just feature in the background, behind our presenter.

Filming will be in three different locations, not distanced too far apart from each other including a beach and a pine forest. I know its quite a specific model but if there are any interested owners or know of anyone with a Jeep that fits the bill and might like their Jeep to be featured in an exciting Discovery series, should get in touch with me, Joe at joe.kehoe@dragonfly.tv or private message me for more details.

Thanks

May be a possibility that you'd be interested
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Cool

Mine would look like this;
Hi Guys! I'm currently working on an off road programme that will be aired on Discovery Channel and we are looking for a well used 1972-1974 black RRC that's been 'mad maxed' to use as a background car for one days shoot (the length of time it can typically stay in one piece).

Building a nice looking Jeep might pay dividends Laughing

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I did see that post. Unfortunately it's not the right year jeep. Its a 1993 YJ. That and being rather busy rebuilding my other truck I haven't really got enough time. Would of been cool though.
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little bit of an update...

The punch hunt went well, we won our class (we may of been the only ones in it Razz ). Everything held together and we had a good giggle.

Since then little has changed, until now...

I've now sold the Simex's and invested in some proper rubber. 42" x 14" Iroks on Allied Alloy wheels with beadlocks, should do the trick. The beadlocks were pretty tatty so I've had them all off today and tidied them up.

Will be fitting tomorrow Cool

Also completed the exhaust today with new gaskets and finishing off the rear end. She's got quite a rumble now - LOVE IT!

Added some extra bars to protect the doors and strap the soft top down to.

Next I need to have a bit of a fiddle with the carb as on steep downhills it floods the engine on tickover then won't start without removing the fuel relay.
Install the washer bottle so I can wash the window.
Sort out the rear lights and indicators.

Hopefully I've also fixed the gearbox leak, new gasket and seals on a few bits and pieces... will test asap.

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a slight oversight I had to order some new wheelnuts for the alloys. 32 US 1/2" Mag nuts later and I was back in business...

Things are a little tight past the rear springs and the front is a pretty good fit. I've bought some spacers to sort the rear out but for CF she should be fine. I'll just try and stay away from too many cross axles.

I've also finished off the soft top, had a play with the carb (seems better on hills but yet to be completely convinced), fiddled with the gear linkage as I struggle to select '1' although I'm sure it used to?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: