Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Taking pics of car wrecks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it morally wrong to take a photo of a car wreck?
Yes - it's just journalism
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
No - Your sick
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
don't care
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 21

mrman
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4307

1993 Mitsubishi Pajero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Taking pics of car wrecks Reply with quote

Today I saw a car wreck. Police had closed the road, there were no paramedics there, just the aftermath of an accident. i.e. car with roof cut off.

I took a pic, t show my daughter, because I thought it might be one off her friends cars, as it turned out it was.

My missus is extremely unhappy that I took the pitcures, I parked the car and walked to within 100m - no closer.

Just as a background, my missus little sister died in a car accident, so although I dont agree with her, I understand.

So, peeps, am I morally corrupt?

cheers

Dave
XrHiNo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not morally corrupt but perhaps a little insensitive
nivapilot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said^^^^
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a story about this in the news recently.. got me thinking

news story here

This is wrong... plain wrong.. insensitive to the maximum considering she was still stuck in the wreckage

taking a picture of a little fender bender, so to speak (to coin the american phrase that is), provided it doesnt inpinge on peoples right to privacy (ie as above) shouldnt be an issue..

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.

Last edited by Toseland on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mudplugga
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2798

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've gotta ask "why?"

"Roof, doors, wheels. It's the way I drive."
mrman
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4307

1993 Mitsubishi Pajero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why, for me, in this instance, was because there were no visable number plates due to the collision, I thought my daughter would recognize the car. As I said before, there was only a police van blocking the road and all injured parties had left the scene.

The kid in question t-boned someone on the roundabout and had suspected neck injuries, hence they cut his car roof off.

He is home from hospital, and a bit sore. No injuries to the persons car he collided with.

I haven't posted the pics online on any social forum, they were only for my daughter to identify the vehicle and the driver.

As I siad they were from a long range, and I am not collecting these types of images.

Oddly enough, my daughter is studying photography, so I will ask her what she thinks she should be able to photograph and what she shouldnt.
its GED

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheres the problem?
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 10758

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It depends on the circumstances.

Can you take the photo without endangering yourself or others. Wil taking a photo cause distress.

Will your photograph assist any future insurance claims, or possible criminal prosecution .... or defence?

Would the participants want you to take the picture, so they can add it to their family album .... like this one?

Barbara acknowedges that she didn't shift fully out of reverse, but denies having her foot on the gas. She wasn't wearing her seat belt, hadn't closed her door ... look where it is. She only wanted to move the car a few inches, as kerb was nipping a tyre.

Will pocture be worth a lot of money if you sell it to the national Press? Now that is a question for your concience.

scrunt
Articulating

Odometer: 985

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can cost you your job.
Your employer contracts etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-19712058

george
TheClunk
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1159

1997 Vauxhall Frontera

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrunt wrote:
It can cost you your job.
Your employer contracts etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-19712058

george
That is why I have a fake facebook which is nice and clean and linked to a business only email.

If there are no people inside the vehicles, I see nothing wrong with it. It's no worse than journalists taking photos, really.

True story: My sister was a back seat passenger in a Volkswagen soft top that was tboned by a Isuzu Trooper doing about 50mph.
She had to be cut out.
Her partner was driven from work to the crash scene to be with her during the process. They had just started cutting her out as he arrived. Someone suggested to him that he should take pics for insurance purposes. So he took a few while she was being cut out. (To be fair, I think he was told to do this to stop him fretting about what was going on.)
Meanwhile, a journalist had turned up and the police stopped them from taking photos until my sister was cut free. The journalist seeing my brother in law taking photos, then offered him £50 per photo. This I find wrong.
After a visit to the hospital, she was sent home a few hours later suffering loads of heavy bruises, a cracked collar bone and bruised ribs. Went in on the Monday (accident was friday lunchtime) and was told by her boss that she must have at least a week off. The driver, who my sister was the boss of, had several weeks off work with shock. Despite not suffering any injury in the crash.
scrunt
Articulating

Odometer: 985

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have personal involvement or for the sake of assisting the police or victims i can not really see a problem in taking and keeping the pictures safe and available.

But just to be nosey like i would be, 'publishing them' because you think its big and smart,
or to make financial advantage i think you can expect people to object.
I can think of many places where getting a camera or camera phone out is going to get you hurt.

I think you will find that if the Police or a Prosecutor or Investigator want or advertise for witness's to come forward
& become aware of your photographs at a scene of an incident,
you will be contacted soon enough if you have Photographs or video out there, Google Images or Social Network sites, anyplace public..

Fake Facebook or anonymous accounts would have them enquiring into your employment or type of employment if they need to track you down i would imagine.
& I can not see any Journalist protecting the source of Photographs anymore.

george
xamtex
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 11903

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at work we are issued with an accident kit which includes a disposible camera in case we have a bump to take pics.
but taking pics of someone elses accident is treading on thin ice especially since the police warnings after that truck crash on the M1.
as for morals....you were taking the pic for a genuine reason not just for fun so i guess you could be forgiven.....just this once. Smile

GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't take a photo of anything where there were people trapped, I'd be busy trying to get them out!

Smashed up stuff where the people are OK well I'd say that was fair game.

I am for showing the graphic nature of life in all it's weird facets, I feel that too much is sugar coated these days. Perhaps if a few of these boy racers saw the ultimate consequences of their actions they may tone it down a little, on the other hand hasn't this sort of study been done already? Hmm.

Certainly wouldn't want to find pics of my loved ones all smashed up in a car accident on the internet if it happened, I'd be even less pleased with the sort of comments some people write.

Minefield! Stay away and just take pics of impressive bacon sarnies.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Do a Google for BLACK BOX, get a video of the car about to tail-gate you. Prices seem to start at about £20. If you only need it once, it will pay for itself.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry, I should have said do an EBAY search for BLACK BOX.

ebbadger
Articulating

Odometer: 559

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJEROstu wrote:
I wouldn't take a photo of anything where there were people trapped, I'd be busy trying to get them out!

Cant stress enough that unless there is an immediate threat to life never never try and get an accident victim out unless you are trained, often far more damage can be caused dragging or moving an accident victim (unseen spinal or internal damage)
unless there is a very real danger leave it to the experts with proper kit , treat in situ unless absolutely certain

often victims dont even realise the extent of their injuries (broken kneck common) until seen by a pro / x rayed,

cheers steve

Stal1878
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3320

1990 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are already ****** so you taking a piccy isn't going to hurt.

Someone I saw today said he passed a car accident on the way to work and there was a body still inside, not looking to alive, is there any laws to stop him taking a picture of that?
ebbadger
Articulating

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stal1878 wrote:

Someone I saw today said he passed a car accident on the way to work and there was a body still inside, not looking to alive, is there any laws to stop him taking a picture of that?

no law at all ,and if people get enjoyment or some kind of kick from taking and posting such pics then crack on...

to be honest car crash / victim pics do nothing for me but im sure there are those that feel the need to disappear with a glossy 8x10 and a roll of toilet paper for 2 minutes so who are we to judge Smile

guess its just a matter of personal integrity

cheers steve

4x4rick
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1900

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one moaned when i posted this

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=66580&highlight=

DCJC member
ebbadger
Articulating

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4rick wrote:
no one moaned when i posted this

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=66580&highlight=

thats cos no one noticed Smile

cheers steve

its GED

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebbadger wrote:
Stal1878 wrote:

no law at all ,and if people get enjoyment or some kind of kick from taking and posting such pics then crack on...

to be honest car crash / victim pics do nothing for me but im sure there are those that feel the need to disappear with a glossy 8x10 and a roll of toilet paper for 2 minutes so who are we to judge Smile

guess its just a matter of personal integrity

cheers steve

sorry, how are you SURE?
TheClunk
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1159

1997 Vauxhall Frontera

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no law that prevents you taking any photograph, anywhere. However, if you do it somewhere sensitive like an MOD site, or Buckingham palace, you can be arrested under the terrorism act.

Trust me on this. It has come up several times in my life.

It is a bitter sweet thing really. It's good that you can snap away care free, but it also allows unsavoury types taking photos of things they shouldn't.

The main reason they can't outlaw it, is that the same law would prevent the use of CCTV, ANPR Police cars fitted with video equipment, and speed cameras.
GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebbadger wrote:
PAJEROstu wrote:

Cant stress enough that unless there is an immediate threat to life never never try and get an accident victim out unless you are trained, often far more damage can be caused dragging or moving an accident victim (unseen spinal or internal damage)
unless there is a very real danger leave it to the experts with proper kit , treat in situ unless absolutely certain

often victims dont even realise the extent of their injuries (broken kneck common) until seen by a pro / x rayed,

cheers steve

I'm a first aider and I do know my limits, I'd only drag someone out if there was petrol spewing everywhere and it seemed like it'd go up (or something similar to that).

The ones that are the quietest are the ones to watch, the ones who're screaming and rolling about the place will (generally) be able to last long enough for the trained pros to get there.

Leave it to the pros they'll be there soon enough!

RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheClunk wrote:
There is no law that prevents you taking any photograph, anywhere.

Wrong, at least in Scotland. It is an offence to take pictures of anyone going about their lawful business on their own property irrespective of where they can be seen from. There is even a special phrase for CCTV coverage of other property where you don't have permission - collateral intrusion.

The only concern here is one of context and what your intention is.was in taking the photos. It is impossible IMO to have a blanket set of rules.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

While in France, my neighbours kids asked me to take their photographs. I later learned that this is not allowed.

In UK a bloke nearly got himself lynched for taking pictures of kids on a playground slide. The lynch mob were not bothered by the fact that they were HIS kids.

Er ... how come they can photograph of children in their vests and pants, Shocked and publish them in mail order catalogues. Very Happy.

A little girl has gone missing in West Wales, last seen climbing into a van. Is now the time to say that I am in favour of CCTV, provided that it is used passively - only played back when a crime is known to have been committed.

I earlier mentioned a Black Box. This is a device that records video of the road in front of, and behind, your car. Not expensive. It would be very useful if every car and truck was fitted with this ... but again, only examine the footage in circumstances like this.

It might discourage tail-gaters, too

LlaniGraham
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2701

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:
TheClunk wrote:
There is no law that prevents you taking any photograph, anywhere.

Wrong, at least in Scotland. It is an offence to take pictures of anyone going about their lawful business on their own property irrespective of where they can be seen from. There is even a special phrase for CCTV coverage of other property where you don't have permission - collateral intrusion.

The only concern here is one of context and what your intention is.was in taking the photos. It is impossible IMO to have a blanket set of rules.

That is certainly not the case in England and Wales, and I would like to see the proof of that in Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography_and_the_law

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/liberty...olice-photography

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/informatio...ils.aspx?sid=2355

http://content.photojojo.com/tips/legal-rights-of-photographers/

Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w3526602 wrote:
Hi,

While in France, my neighbours kids asked me to take their photographs. I later learned that this is not allowed.

In UK a bloke nearly got himself lynched for taking pictures of kids on a playground slide. The lynch mob were not bothered by the fact that they were HIS kids.

Er ... how come they can photograph of children in their vests and pants, Shocked and publish them in mail order catalogues. Very Happy.

A little girl has gone missing in West Wales, last seen climbing into a van. Is now the time to say that I am in favour of CCTV, provided that it is used passively - only played back when a crime is known to have been committed.

I earlier mentioned a Black Box. This is a device that records video of the road in front of, and behind, your car. Not expensive. It would be very useful if every car and truck was fitted with this ... but again, only examine the footage in circumstances like this.

It might discourage tail-gaters, too

and incidently they have arrested said van driver and are remanding him in custody..

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:
It is an offence to take pictures of anyone...

When you take a photographic image of anyone - anything you are not copying that thing, in fact you are not recording that person or thing - what you are in fact doing is recording the light reflecting off that person/thing not the person/thing itself

And that has been given the French headaches for years as they copyrighted all their important buildings to prevent unauthourised photographing of them but have been unable to do anything about it due to the fact that a photograph captures the light reflecting off the object not the object itself Laughing Laughing Laughing
mudplugga
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2798

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009...hersrights-v2.pdf

Photographers rights - it's been around for a long time but word is, nothing has changed.

I have no problem with anyone that takes pictures of an accident for a purpose. I've done it and will continue to so. I can understand a genuine press photographer taking a wreck picture and a photo editor using them - if there is some over riding public interest.
But someone rubbernecking and posting pictures on Facebook for others to share in the rubbernecking by proxy, no, I think that's as wrong as it is unnecessary.
Perhaps I'm old fashioned ? I just don't see the point in rubbernecking other peoples grief just for the sake of it.

"Roof, doors, wheels. It's the way I drive."
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Todays AOL Home Page headline is "VIDEO - Dead farmer eaten by his own pigs" There is a photo of a pig, don't know if it was THE pig. I haven't clicked the link, not interested, and anyway, thats normal behaviour for pigs.

Some months ago, there was a report of somebody dying, and being eaten by his two hungry Dobermen dogs. Personally, in that situation, I would rather my dog ate me, rather than starved to death. But I don't think I'd like photos in the local rag. Well .... maybe a piccy of the dog would be acceptable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: