Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

300tdi auto on wvo HELP PLEASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> LPG, Bio Diesel and Alternative Fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minibreaker
Just got MTs

Odometer: 277

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: 300tdi auto on wvo HELP PLEASE Reply with quote

ok so some people may know i killed my 200tdi by runnning 100% wvo for the last 5 months..... NOW i have 300 tdi which set me back a few quid it very nice . i would like to run this on wvo also but was hoping to use the petrol mix rather than the 50 50 diesel mix can anyne give me their experiences and i will have a go cheers
its GED

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as you have asked the exact same question, using the exact same words in the exact same order elsewhere, i will remind you of the answer you have received there, from someone who has been running the same engine on wvo for 2 years.

Quote:
in a few words , don`t bother . i run mine on 50/50 in the warm weather .in winter its just deisel . these are not as forgiving as the 200 .
so unless you have money to burn don`t do it .

and what is a "petrol mix"?

neil, we are willing to help, but it helps if you listen to the answers and dont think you know best. you are asking advice because you acknowledge that you dont, in fact know best.

at the end of the day, its your truck, you go for it............
minibreaker
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i asked the same question at exactlt the same time to get as many answers as i can from different people and then i will make my own conclusion as yet i have decided that veg is perhaps not such a good idea in my new truck but i am also not sure if it is a good idea to doa twin tank and not sure if thats better or not.. a petrol mix is wvo and petrol rather than wvo and diesel

i accept that i am not all knowing but my last truck owed me 450 and i saved that all day long but my new disco owes me alot more and i am not going to ruin this one as i like it lol

so

is a twin tank a good idea?? or is wvo just a no no in this truck

its GED

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minibreaker wrote:
as yet i have decided that veg is perhaps not such a good idea in my new truck

there should be no problems if you do it right. this starts with your filtering. get this wrong, say goodbye to your truck. do not warm filter oil. if oil is filtered in warm weather, filter it again in cold. dewater if oil is milky after filtering. ALWAYS filter to 1 micron, this helps when the weather changes unexpectedly. do not force oil through filter socks.

minibreaker wrote:
but i am also not sure if it is a good idea to doa twin tank and not sure if thats better or not

depends on your daily mileage. you need enough miles to allow the engine to warm to operating temp (in winter, NOT summer) and at least 1 to 2 miles at the end of the journey to purge back to diesel. if you dont do this, it wont start. otherwise twin tanking is perfect.

minibreaker wrote:
a petrol mix is wvo and petrol rather than wvo and diesel

i think you need to learn what effects petrol and diesel have on veg oil so you can understand why they are used in the quantities recommended.

minibreaker wrote:

i accept that i am not all knowing but my last truck owed me 450 and i saved that all day long but my new disco owes me alot more and i am not going to ruin this one as i like it lol

mine cost £250 42,000 veg oil miles ago. i did wax it once, but that was entirely my fault. the reason it has covered that many miles is because when i asked questions, i SODDING LISTENED TO THE ANSWERS. i didnt just say, ahh, itll be right. mind, the other reason is because it isnt a lawn rover.

minibreaker wrote:
or is wvo just a no no in this truck

as i said, do it right, it will be ok, but just one more thing.

not in that truck in winter......... Wink
minibreaker
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok point taken....... what about bio diesel is this the same as above or will this run in winter
its GED

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bio diesel is chemically altered veg oil, but it is still affected by the cold. although you can run it at lower temps than WVO and SVO, it will wax.

will you be making it, or buying it?
minibreaker
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will be buying it i think as i dont think i am capable at this moment in time to put alot of time into making it and from what i have read it is easier to make crap than it is to make good bio..
i know a man who sells it not far from me for 75p a liter i have been told to go to him by about 5 people so he sounds credible i may go see hima nd see what i think of him lol..
am i right in thinking then while it is not really cold i can run bio as that would save me some at least

its GED

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont give vehicle specific advice, but i cant see too many problems.

bio is notoriously hard to perfect, and for this reason we have barrels of crap in the warehouse where people have rung us when a batch has gone wrong, and this is also why we order our bio a ton at a time all the way from Peterborough.

75p is very cheap considering the duty equalisation that occurred a while back and not wanting to disrespect the vendor, i would be very cautious at that price. possibly learn how to test bio with a kit to be on the safe side.

as i said, bio will tolerate colder temps than wvo, but will still wax. adding coldflow helps.

now may be a good time to read up on types of oil and learn to recognise them by sight and eventually smell..........
minibreaker
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds like a really good idea especially the testing kit could you please point me in the right direction of the testing kit also know what oils are what would be great to
thanks for the help

its GED

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minibreaker wrote:
that sounds like a really good idea especially the testing kit could you please point me in the right direction of the testing kit

http://www.oilybits.com/phliptest--biodiesel-qu...its/prod_754.html

minibreaker wrote:
also know what oils are what would be great to
thanks for the help

English?
minibreaker
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no not english polish
its GED

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean, i dont know what you mean?
minibreaker
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i meant it would be handy knowing what oils look like by colour so as to know what type of oil it is sorry
its GED

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ******, thats a hard one.

its not exactly a different colour, its sort of shades of brown. get yourself some waste Hifry and some waste soy and look at the difference. the hifry has an almost mottled effect. shine a torch through and again, the palm blends are slightly more opaque. its very hard to put into words. its taken me a year of handling and being around thousands of litres a day to get used to it. the soy and other non blends also feel slightly different when rubbed, again its very hard to describe.

i cant even explain why, as they are blended at a molecular level, but you can see the difference.

i suppose it just takes time and be observant.

round about now all the blends start waxing, the prep has already gone slushy as opposed to free flowing and in about another month or so the hifry will follow suit. this is when all the oil you filtered in the warm weather comes back and bites you.

and dont forget, mankychester is always a few degrees colder than Liverpool because of the coast.

i have collected hard tubs of oil in the morning and they have returned to liquid by the afternoon. the following morning they are hard again.

and then there's the wind chill factor of the cold air passing over the tank as you drive along.

i will let you know what happens with my experiments with pure acetone.
minibreaker
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that it does help and i have listened cheers
its GED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT USE ACETONE.......
minibreaker
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i take it your experiment did not quite go as planned ged i have sourced some bio at the moment so until that runs out its bio all the way

WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE ACETONE PLEASE ????

its GED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i must say, the musso runs fantastically with 30ml per 20L of wvo.

one side effect that no one foresaw was that it COMPLETELY scoured the fuel system so that it sparkles.

stripped every bit of crap out to the point it even blocked the hoses with grass, bits of apple, allsorts.

now, it flies up to a ton and no smoke.

so dont use it unless you want to spend an instructional few hours cleaning up the mess

but then, cant be a bad thing Wink
minibreaker
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least its all cleaned out lol
its GED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh its cleaner than a really clean thing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> LPG, Bio Diesel and Alternative Fuels All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: