Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

4WS Single Seat - aka Screamer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

Odometer: 190

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the very same Smile

Fitted my aligators today Smile

https://www.facebook.com/ScreamerOffroad
N.R.G97
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1502

1966 Land Rover Hybrid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic build! love the portal-ish axles Cool bet it moves when you give it some, having the baby 1.6 in our buggy and that goes like sh*t off a stick... much better on the alligators! Cool

thinking about the shogun front end shafts and diffs being used, i wonder if you might be able to use a shogun rear locking diff in the front casing or housing? or maybe just the locker? probably not, but i guess worth mentioning.

http://www.profendersuspension.com/
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NRG

Yea I love gators! Mucho improvement! Can't wait to see what it looks like on my Iroks when they get here Twisted Evil

The diffs are indeed rear locking diffs from the shogun. They're out of the 3.2 DiD. The rear shafts are standard. I made up the hubs using the standard shogun stub axle/bearing assembly which all unbolts from the shogun rear hubs. So you are right on the money Wink

N.R.G97
Off-Road Guru

1966 Land Rover Hybrid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should look Cool and i would hope pretty good Laughing

ah cool, i did read the first posts, honest, but didnt see the part about the diffs being rears, makes sense though. great to see it done, i was messing around with shogun diffs loads a year or so back, but didnt get far until i ended going for stock nissan axles... just need to fit 'em. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Nissan axles do you have? Patrols I guess? I've heard they're pretty hardcore?
N.R.G97
Off-Road Guru

1966 Land Rover Hybrid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah patrol, gr (the 4.2 coiler) locker rear as standard, and the lsd from a terrano up front... the shafts are 1 1/2" from memory Shocked Cool
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right well I've been out and about for a wee bit now trying to get used to what she can do and so far, I've been quite impressed...

Still not quite enough clearance for everything though

Been trying to see how far I can push her before she'd fall over. This ones child play

But this one was fairly on the edge. The cage was still off the floor...

...but I was very happy as we still drove out from here, currently with no difflocks.

I done my first event with her on Sunday and things as usual didn't entirely go to plan. First two sections went well, then I broke the intermediate bearing housing. The cast aluiminium broke where two of the bolts were. Thankfully, a buddy of mines house was close enough to the trial to drive to so off we went and made a suitable bodge to hold it together.

Next section again went well showing off just how steady she is dropping off a 3ft rock without even a lean. But alas, section 4 again posed problems, this time I broke the rear intermediate shaft where I'd welded it together Embarassed So... since then theres been some fairly heavy duty welding on the shaft and I'm confident it should now be fine, but only time will tell. I've made a new bearing carrier and ditched the cast aluminium one so hopefully this will be fine to.

So... off up to Stoke this weekend for our first crack at the 5 gate format. Razz

fourtrak craige
Articulating

Odometer: 863

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thats some good articulation Cool

for all diahatsu parts give bloodredoffroad.com a call
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sunday was the 2nd event I've been out with her to. A little further this time. I took her up to Stoke on Trent to Weston Coyney for my first 5 gate for around 9 months. It took a couple of sections to get used to the rules again but got the hang of it in the end.

She performed very well and I was very pleased as I put her back on the trailer in 1 piece. Well technically 3 pieces, i snapped off a mirror and 1 mudguard but didnt break anything serious. On saturday I wired up the two vacuum pumps for the lockers but I think i only engaged them a couple of times all day.

She climbed some of the more angular rocks very well and I got in to some quite precarious angles, but was still confident we weren't going over. I've not managed to find how far I can get before only being on 2 or less wheels yet but I'm sure the time will come.

Build wise, I believe my hydroboost should be here tomorrow so I'll be cutting the nose off this week and redoing the front, hopefully the dinal time. I'll also redo the front panard rod to make it a bit longer and beef it up like the rear.

Finally getting there...

danotm76
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 50

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good turn out on Sunday but a shame we had to split the mods into two groups, as I didn't get to see you drive.

I lost a comedy mud guard too, and found out how far I can lean before gravity takes over Very Happy .

I've got a little work to do too as the rear flexy hoses have started to bulge from pulling the fiddle levers so hard!
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danotm76 wrote:

I've got a little work to do too as the rear flexy hoses have started to bulge from pulling the fiddle levers so hard!

I take it these are standard hoses and not stainless steel braided?
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've obviously been making them fiddle brakes have it! I use the stainless braided lines for all my stuff. With my ABS pump for fiddles on my trooper putting 3000psi up them, I've never had any problems. You can buy all the ends on ebay and then just cut them to length.

Yea it was ashame to split the mods up but we'd probably been there until it was dark if we kept them together. I've seen that truck of yours out a few times and it always seems to perform very well. Extremely light is the key Smile

danotm76
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 50

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Extremely light is the key

Yeah, until I get my lard **** in it Brick wall
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydroboost is now here so it's time to modify the front end, again...

Before:

15 minutes later:

A little while later:

The hydroboost is a wee bit bigger than I was hoping but I think I'll have enough room. Just tacking up the mount so far and getting in and out to make sure I can actually still fit. Need to go and find some hydraulic fittings for the hydroboost as well. Smile

Rizla 1
Articulating

Odometer: 656

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are MSA / AWDC rules that as a single seater you must be able to exit the car from a seat belted postion in 5 seconds ?? could be 10

Ask Ken Odom he had to do it for Vic Palmer the club Scrutineer a few weeks back and only just did it in the time Laughing

Strange rule - Jeff
bigbuggy
Just got MTs

Odometer: 260

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rizla 1 wrote:
There are MSA / AWDC rules that as a single seater you must be able to exit the car from a seat belted postion in 5 seconds ?? could be 10

Ask Ken Odom he had to do it for Vic Palmer the club Scrutineer a few weeks back and only just did it in the time Laughing

Strange rule - Jeff

i believe thats required for comp safari & some classes of trialing, i seem to recal murmours of them considering it being a requirement for challenge aswell

Go big or go home
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rizla 1 wrote:

Strange rule - Jeff

Yes I believe its 5 seconds. I'm presuming its to make sure that in an emergency you can get out quick. But rest assured, if the damn things on fire, I'll be out of there quicker than you can say "mudguards are a complete waste of time, stupid MSA". Razz

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hydroboost is now mounted, brake lines fitted and the hydraulic pressure line fitted. Just need to fit the return pipe and bleed the brakes up and it will be time to see if I finally have some decent brakes. Smile

As I've been changing the front end around I've also made a new front panard rod as the old one was a little short, and a bit agricultural (top link). The extra length will both the body sideways less as the axle articulates and the whole lot has a bit more room around it. I'm using 3/4 rose joints for both panard rods. The plan is to change the joints on the track rods to these joints also making spares easier Smile

Trying to decide how to mount the Hydroboost

New front end taking shape

New front panard rod

Should be testing time again this weekend for the new brakes and panard rod before the Eurotrial training weekend down Slindon next weekend. As long as that all goes well, 'all' I've got left is fix second gear (requires engine/box out, but may replace the whole lot with an engine and box from an older prelude - stay tuned!), strip most of the stuff out and spray the cage, paint the axles, make underguards for both axles, fit an ABS pump and controller to handle the fiddle brakes, tidy everything up... um... thats enough of a list for now. All before August! Busy busy...

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, made some progress since the last post. The brakes are a success. The hydroboost works wonderfully. I've now got nice light, strong brakes. All thats left for the brakes is adding a controller and an abs unit to get the fiddle brakes working.

For the handbrake I've welded on 2 more calipers onto the rear hubs and I'm using the honda handbrake mechanism with a land rover clutch master cylinder grafted to it. Just waiting on a fitting to finish that off now.

We went down to Slindon Safari last weekend for a practice at the Eurotrial format with some of the UK team. The first 3 practice sections on the Saturday went well but alas, on the 4th I bent one of the steering arms that are welded to the hub. This would of been the end of playing if it wasn't for the help of Ray from Rhino Rays. We took the truck up to his workshop about 25 miles away and we soon bent the arm back straight and welded it back in place. After a lovely meal at the local pub, it was to sleep in the tent for the night.

Sunday came with sunshine ready for another day of practice. The truck went extremely well. No breakages over the remaining 4 sections and some impressive gates cleared! Very happy with how it all went, although a bit smarter strategy on the sections I could of saved some penalties. Practice makes perfect though.

This evening I've been doing some tests on the gearbox to see if I can narrow down what's been wrong with second gear. Well good news, I found 2 valves playing up. The first was sticky and wasn't moving freely, so I made a good one out of an old one. Another valve had a blocked gauze on it stopping flow. With both of these problems fixed, I now have 2nd gear. The shifting is also a lot smoother. All in all its now a lovely thing to drive. You can barely feel the shifting, and pulling off in 2nd is no longer a problem. 2nd is nicely geared and it would be possible to actually trial in 2nd, but I'll stick to first for now!

I've got some ideas of how to replace the steering arms I keep bending, I just need to get the material and this is the next major job on the list. I also need to make some doors, fit my new tyres (when they arrive), spray it all, tidy up everything... 3 weeks yesterday and we'll be leaving for Switzerland.... S**t...

Rizla 1
Articulating

Odometer: 656

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your steering bars EN24 is the stuff to use Smile crack on see you in a few weeks in Yoooodal land - what boat have you booked ? we leave monday night
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're on the 2am ferry on Wednesday morning. It's the same boat we had last year but 250 miles closer this time Smile Will see you there!
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a busy weekend attacking all the little bits and pieces which take the time. Spent a fair bit of time installing the fiddle brakes. Both ABS units are mounted although I'm not using the pumps for the fiddles now. I'm using them only as line locks effectively. Mounted the Siemens Logo which I'm using to control them. Plated up the axle triangles to stop all the mud and water and stuff getting stuck in the recess. Added some mesh to the side panels, completed the panels for the front with polycarbonate, replaced a couple of damaged hydrauluc pipes, adjusted the positions of a couple, completed welding up of the front end, addedmy wheels flourescent green, a titanium plate under the seat to protect me from propshaft failure, added 2 more bolts for the roof as required by Eurotrial regs, painted installed the new dash with warning lights and gauges and just generally tidied up some other miscellaneous bits and pieces. The list is getting pretty short now, which is good because we're leaving a week tomorrow!

Tonight I've removed the complete axle and plated up underneath it for greater protection. Tomorrow the plan is to do the same to the front. All that remains then:
Complete the doors (awaiting steel tube and mesh)
Lengthen breathers
Shorten brake pipes to newly mounted ABS units
Fit tyres (awaiting delivery)
Fit new solid steering arms to replace the current 50mm box ones as I've bent two of these now.
Paint it all!

So... best get cracking!

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a little while since I've updated this and it's largely been down to being very busy! This time last week I was making my way around the 8 sections on the Saturday at Eurotrial.

Well before leaving I pretty much ticked off all the things left to do on the list. My new tyres eventually arrived on the Monday before we left which cut things a little close, but I'm very glad they did! They made a massive difference. The extra height gave me some additional clearance and the grip they provided was unreal! I was extremely impressed. So now it's sat on Interco Irok 39.5/13.5/16's with Inner Air Lock internal bead locks. This allowed me to run barely any air pressure to maximise grip.

I finished al the other bits and pieces as well. The new solid steering arms took some punishment but they all held up well. The doors looked the part untill I bent the one when I rolled. A zip tie later and it was fully functioning again. So with everything made up, a day with the spray gun and it was finally ready to go. This was the result:

So 1 ferry and 750 miles later, we arrived at Eurotrial in Auenstein, Switzerland. We unloaded and set up our house ready for scrutineering on Thursday. This is always one of the most nervous times as as much as your confident everything is present and correct, your always thinking, is there something you've missed, something that doesn't work? Well after scraping through the brake test, (seems to be a British favourite), it was on to technical inspection. Everything was going well, ticks down the list until it was decided my head was too close to the cage - damnit! So we went away and managed to drop the seat 50mm. It turned out this was something that I was quite glad was picked up! So one small nod and we were through scrutineering - we'd made it! All that was left was the parade and 16 sections of some brutal terrain!

The parade was only around the site this year which was unfortunate but it did mean it didn't take hours, and hours, and hours... like last year. There was only 1 small hiccup when Tim Cane in Fandango run out of fuel with about 5 trucks left to be announced in front of him - oops!

So along came the Saturday, time to find out what we can do. The first section didn't entirely go to plan with a gentle roll after the 3 gate - good start! Confused The roll itself didn't cause an issue to the truck, but the recovery took forever! A good 15 minutes upside down found us with 4 cylinders full of oil Evil or Very Mad It took us an hour and a half of trialling time to clean it out enough to get it going again, but before long the Honda motor was running as sweet as she started the day.

I got the next few sections done with nothing too exciting going on, stayed on the wheels. I was extremely impressed with some of the climbs that the truck made with relative ease. The grip was unreal from the Iroks - well worth the investment! On the fifth section I think it was I had another roll, this one landed pretty hard after very nearly recovering it. I'd finished the gates and going for the exit gate I ended up sideways on the last bank, The truck was at a mad angle but with some welly I got it back, then it tipped over the other way at the bottom of the bank. D'oh. I have it on video but I haven't been able to upload yet.

The rest of the day went OK although it was me letting the truck down rather than the other way around. getting used to the tyres took a few sections. With 15 minutes of trial time to go, the final rock section which I was dreading all day actually gave me my best score of the day. So saturday was over, and with a few little niggles, we'd survived.

Sunday went much better. Only 1 roll where the back wheel dropped into a hole going up through a gate. Other than that things went much better. I was getting used to the amount of grip available and again, some of the things we got up and over I was very happy with. With 3 stages to go I had a small problem when we ripped one of the bolts for the rear prop out when being recovered from the roll. A slightly bigger bolt back in its place though and we pushed on. We easily completed the 8 sections in the time limit and that was it! 16 sections completed, no major problems. Our biggest problem being down to rubbish recovery.

Once the scores had been counted (twice), we ended up in 21st position in Prototype class. With less silly mistakes on the Saturday I think we could of snuck up a few places but I was still very happy with the outcome. The main thing was just surviving the pounding of the sections, especially following our first section exit last year. A little bonus was we also managed to sneak in front of the other Brits in Proto, although Ken and Simon both encountered breakdowns hindering their point scoring.

So we're back in the shed in 1 piece, a few little things to tweak and change but largely very pleased with how everything went. Got some ideas on how to improve a few things. No rest for the wicked! Very Happy

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't quite get the whole team in 1 photo annoyingly...

jerry h
Just got MTs

Odometer: 224

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent stuff, well done, really chuffed for you, looks like all the hard work has paid off.

keep flying the flag Applause
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since I've been back further progress has been slow, its just been nice to do, well not a lot really. Still got some issues to sort yet though so still plodding on.

First thing has been to add some limiting straps for the axles. I found the body likes to rise quite a bit whilst driving round. The props don't bind with the axles both dropped but it just makes the hole thing more unstable. So far I've only done the front axle but already the truck is a lot more stable and going up stuff the nose doesn't keep rising. Just need to do the same on the rear.

I'm having issues with the steering still. When everythings cold it all works hunky dorey, but as everything warms up the steering goes heavy. So far I've checked the following:
- the oil temperature doesn't seem to be too hot. You can easily put your hand on the reservoir.
- I moved the return to the top of the reservoir from the bottom in case this was causing a disturbance.
- the front and rear is playing up so it can't be just the spool valve.

It could be aeration in the oil but not been able to prove/disprove this.
Its a new pump so that should be OK.
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas please share! It's proving to be a pain in the ass.

I also found what the grinding sort of noise is today as well. I thought it was the brakes sticking on every now and again but unfortunately it wasn't something quite this simple. I found it to be the front diff... grinding and diffs is never a good thing!

20 minutes after starting I had the diff out, not bad at all Smile another 5 minutes and I had the front cover off only to find this:

Apparently no oil isn't a great plan? Embarassed This diff has made a funny noise since I had it, and there used to be oil in it... anyway, either way the diff and pinion still look good, the metal appears to of come from the pinion bearing which is well and truely knackered! So next week I'll replace this and hopefully have a nice quiet diff again!

Heres a few links to some videos from Eurotrial to:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152047219600105
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152047298870105
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152047408370105
[/list]

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've now replaced the main bearing on the pinion. Front diffs nice and quiet now so it's all back where it should be in the truck.

Following up on my steering woes, I've now solved the problem. It turned out to be a knackered hydraulic pump. The pump was passing inside as soon as it had to do a bit of work, leaving me with no pressure. I've since spec'd and fitted a Group 2 pump with an 8.0cc/rev displacement. This is a little higher than the previous one to gain a bit of speed. I've now also fitted a filter on the hydraulic return to stop any nasties getting to the new pump. Apparently gear pumps are quite suseptible to contaminates. Anyway this has fixed my steering problems so for the first time since I began the build 2 years ago I've got quick, strong, light and reliable steering. Woohoo! Very Happy

The jobs left are getting less now. The truck is perfectly useable as it is, it's just a few improvements left. The problem with the fuel pump cavitating when the fuel gets hot is still an issue but I've got somethinng to try for that. The only other thing is getting the fiddle brakes to work and I'll be about there Very Happy

I entered the National round at Corwen last weekend for some practice at 5 gate. There were some good sections set out, many of them really quite rough. It was a good opportunity to see just how tough she was though. There was a lot of shale and rocky stuff, often as steep climbs. I've not really had any chance to see what she goes like without the fear of breakages, so I let her rip! I was very impressed with some of the climbs, most were completed with ease where others were struggling, even the thumping V8's Laughing 9 sections later and I ended the day with a puncture being the only damage. I claimed 2nd place being beaten by a very well driven Bowler trialler, one of only 2 ever built by the infamous Bowlers who later built the wildcats. All in all it was a good weekend and I was very pleased with how she performed. Very Happy

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of an update...

Previously I was having problems with the fuel cavitating in the pump when the fuel got hot. I've now moved the fuel return to the top of the tank which seems to of stopped this. Since I moved it I've had no problems at all, but saying that, the weather hasn't exactly been blisteringly hot lately which is when the problem was most prominent, but fingers crossed!

I've now added a rear axle strap as well which has further increased stability. I've not lost any articulation, only axle drop. It now seems extremely stable, capable of getting to some pretty wild angles and still feeling stable.

There's not really been any other modifications I don't think. I've yet to get the fiddles working although I've got a cunning plan to simplify and compact my design a little. When I pull my finger out sorting these is pretty high up the list.

I've been getting in as much practice as possible. The last few trials have gone well but they've largely been 15 gates lately. Need to get some more 5 gate practice!

A couple of recent (yesterday) photos!

jon.g1
Articulating

Odometer: 753

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome build mate, could i ask how your using the abs pump for fiddles, you say your using as a line lock for now, is it possible to make use of the pump for pressure?, i've got a bmw pump that same as what you have in your pics. an i quite like the idea of switches instead of levers Smile

Project Zulander
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jon.

It is possible to use the pump to provide pressure yes. It is a little involved but it does work very well. I used to use an ABS pump system on my trooper which I used to trial with. It was a standalone system so needed additional calipers fitted. On there I went to the effort as the rear axle had an LSD fitted which meant normal fiddle brakes were unable to overcome the drive.

Locking the wheel is easy. Just run the pump with a small reservoir fitted, and switch the correct valves in the pump so it doesn't pump up both brake line outputs. Its the releasing the pressure once it's built up which is the problem.

I believe ABS pumps are capable of 2,500+ psi. Once you have that pressure in the line, the standard pressure relief valves won't open to allow the pressure back to the reservoir. The same can be said or normal line locks, they also won't open under pressure. To get around this I fitted a hydraulic solenoid valve. This worked a treat.

With a bit of logic/timing, you can get either wheel to lock within a second or two of pressing the switch. Hey presto, the strongest locking fiddles your likely to come across. I could drive in a straight line on tarmac with the ones on my trooper without even an achy arm! If you want to know more just drop me a message.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: