Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

4WS Single Seat - aka Screamer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

Odometer: 190

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: 4WS Single Seat - aka Screamer Reply with quote

Just been reading some of the other builds on here, it's nice to see so many different things going on about the place. Very Happy

Anyway, I thought I'd post up my progress so far in the quest of building a decent 4 wheel steer single seater.

So far its probably been in development for around 18 months. Originally built with independant suspension, I got it all working (to a certain extent) and ended up with this:

It all worked, the 4WS was OK (but a little slow and weak). The suspension had plenty of travel and moved well. The transmission worked well, I've used the tiptronic gearbox from the prelude giving flexible automatic shifting. There were however quite a few problems with how I'd done it. The truck was pretty unstable and I'd manage to tip it over more times than I've tipped my old one since I've had it. The steering was not great and I never managed to get the rear prop particularly reliable. Anyway, all in all, I'm now in the process of rebuilding it...

I'm changing it to live, completely custom/fabricated axles using shogun running gear (the same as I used for the independent suspension). I've got the front end pretty much done and had a test around the farm and it seems to perform very well. The prop is good, the articulation is excellent. I've managed to shove the whole axle back about 8" giving me more room for the rear axle (which I'll also shove backwards) and shifting the weight distribution forwards. Clearance has increased from 8" under the diff to 15" and the bottom of the truck is flat down its entire length (except the bottom of the diff pan). All in all, I think it's going to be a massive improvement over how it was before.

Heres a couple of photos of the new front end...

https://www.facebook.com/ScreamerOffroad
fourtrak craige
Articulating

Odometer: 863

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! totally speechless, it looks amazing Smile

for all diahatsu parts give bloodredoffroad.com a call
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Smile

Hole I need to fill with some wheels:

Next axle coming along nicely:

The girlfriend is away this weekend so I'm hoping to get some wheels on the new axle and sat underneath it by the end of tomorrow. Wink

4x4rick
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1900

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you give me more details on the engine/box
im looking to build a single seater myself

R Cool

DCJC member
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Honda 2.2 Vtec removed from a mk5 Prelude. It's a little over 200hp in the car. I'm using the original automatic gearbox which in the mk5 has a tiptronic option. One of the nicest things about the Honda setup is there is effectively a dedicated loom between the engine/gearbox/ECU's. Obviously there are cables going to the dash and wotnot but I think nearly every cable connected directly also. This means thinning it down is pretty easy. A day on the floor with the loom and I had it down to the minimum amount of wires with the dash cluster still in full working order (which I've since removed as I haven't the space).

The tiptronic is still in full working order giving a nice option for driving it as a manual, although in all honesty I normally leave it in 1 or 2. Although its there to play with Smile

Another reason for using the Honda motor (other than loving Honda's) was the gearbox orientation. The gearbox is on the passenger side in the car and the two outputs from the gearbox are very close together, only the width of the diff whereas in a lot of other vehicles the gearbox outputs can be quite wide. This leaves more options for props. And for a rear engined setup, its the correct way round to give a good rear prop.

Anyway, a couple of updates. I've got the rear axle tacked up and got the frame for the rear trangle glued on. It's pretty close to the sump which I suspected it would be. Need to do a few flex tests to make sure it clears before welding everything in place. I've got a couple of options prior to chopping about the sump but I think it will work.

nj111
Just got MTs

Odometer: 166

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very innovative, look forward to seeing it in action again at a "Mid West Offroaders" Trial soon, I'm pretty sure it will be hard to beat!
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I just realised I lied there. The gearbox is on the drivers side which is what makes it rare and the correct way around for a rear engined job (assuming the correct diff rotation of course).

Lol cheers. Hopefully it'll go better than the last trial I did with it!

danotm76
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 50

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build, I've been waiting for someone to try this for a while, I nearly built axles like this for a current project but experience with IFS bits failing put me off and I used normal solid axles instead. Have you had any breakages with the shogun axle bits? I had planned to use Hilux Surf bits.
In the first of the photos is that a weld on tractor linkage joint on the end of the A frame? I have thought about using one of these for the same application but I am a little worried about it developing play, have you used one before?
In the last pic it looks like the diff is mounted at an angle to the axle, is this to give a better angle for the prop shaft?

I may see you at a trial at some point as I plan on getting to some events other than AWDC ones soon.
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since using the shogun parts I've not yet broke any drivetrain *touch wood*. The components are massive. The diff is comparable in weight to a unimog diff. The shafts are seriously heavy and the CV's are the biggest I've ever come across. I used to think the CV's on my trooper were big, but these things are insane. It all sort of makes sense though if you look at the application they're meant for. A 2.2 ton truck, capable of towing 3.2 tonne (legally), producing as much torque as a 4.2 land cruiser, all in RWD, with the option of a rear locker. No wonder they're massive!

But I believe all your observations are correct... It is a weld on tractor link. I've not used one before, but if you think of how many years they bounce around on the back of tractors, for the time they're moving on an offroader they should be fine. Or if they're not, chop it off and weld a new one on. Mine are cat 2's.

Both diffs are mounted on the **** to aid prop angles. Just be careful of the increased angle at the CV on full lock, but they should be big enough to cope. This is one benefit of building the axle though, a downside being the diff has to be in the middle. so its a comprimise really. A major upside though, is that I'm able to replace either shaft or the diff without taking anything else off. Any of the components will drop straight out the bottom. I will plate it all up for more extreme events though.

Yup, everyones welcome with my local club as well as the AWDC!

Vitara Nick
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 71

1993 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be worth watching.

Are you a fabricator by trade, or is it just a hobby?

Also, what is that ram from that you are using for your steering? Most set-ups I have encountered use a normal double throw ram to 1 wheel and then a steering relay rod to the opposite wheel (much like a steering box/steering relay rod in a Terrano/Maveric).
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a hobby at the moment. I'm am electrical engineer by trade. I have tinkered with the idea of trying to do something custom fabrication based as a job but I don't think it'd be viable at the moment.

both rams I've had a local company make for me. They're double ended, 6" travel, 60mm bore with 40mm rod. M20 rose joints both ends. Track tips currently using an m14 (I think) rose joint so these are the weakest link and should bend first. If they turn out to be to wussy though I have got some 3/4"joints to replace them with. It's a nice simple setup and as the track rods are only about a foot long they should be fairly resistant to bending, unlike the long bar linking the two wheels. And I just haven't got the space!

Last edited by Eclipsed4ever on Sat May 12, 2012 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh acheiving the geometry of IFS.. with the flex of solid axle.. and the ground clearance of portals..

Stunning job.. would be great to see this beast in action..

like the colour too

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, cheers Toseland. I like my stuff to stand out. I used to have an RX7 wearing pure flourescent yellow paint - it actually hurt to look at it in daylight. Cool Loved that car...

Anyway, she's getting closer to getting back in the dirty stuff. Had a day of rejigging the back end today and it's gone fairly well so far. I cut off the old shock mounts and cleaned that up and pushed on with the panard, bump stops and new shock mounts. Just got it sat on the new setup before I called it an evening...

Annoyingly I'm struggling to get another prelude intermediate shaft. I want another the same as I used on the front as the prelude shaft was very eaily modified to mount the land rover flange on. As soon as I manage to find one of these I can get the rear prop done and we'll be back in business.

I've also now ordered the new hydraulic pump which will be driven direct from the crank. No more squealy belts or heavy/slow steering Smile Getting through the problems....

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacked up all the rear suspension now so thought I'd get her out in the sun for a photo.

Before zapping it all up I felt it would be worth while making sure it all flex's alright and doesn't foul on anything.

Thats about 46" of fresh air under the wheel Smile

Tried flexing her both ways and it all looked good. At full articulation the truck still seemed perfectly steady. The prop (imaginary at the moment) looks like it'll be pretty good. Decided it was good enough to continue with the zapper so currently in the process of welding up the axle.

The hydraulic pump should be here tomorrow so I can push on with getting that on there then Smile

Rizla 1
Articulating

Odometer: 656

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be ready for Dassett then maybe ? Cool
fourtrak craige
Articulating

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow please get her ready for dasset, will be amazing to she her ripping up the quarry Cool

P.s good build thread wish i had the skills to do all of this

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoyingly I'm away on a stag do and birthday party on the 26th so I'm not available. It is however a bit of a mixed blessing as it means I won't have to rush anything, and I'll be on a stag do - WAHEY!

I'm planning on doing a local trial on the 10th at Mancell Lacy with her, then all being well Weston Coyney will be the next AWDC outting. Then it will be a case of doing as much practice as possible before Eurotrial... busy busy!

Build update... I got the pump today. Just looking at how to mount it when the realisation hit... "the engine turns anti-clockwise, as does the pump, oh for f..." So with a slight miscalculation, I'm taking the pump back tomorrow to try and change it for a clockwise one. Idiot. Embarassed so much for skills Razz

So as I was unable to do the steering I've continued with the welding up of the axle. Gusseted the front and rear and made the triangle section, so the evening wasn't a total loss, just annoying. Hey ho, theres always tomorrow! Confused

jerry h
Just got MTs

Odometer: 224

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely i must be missing the point but please tell me why you have used an independant axle & then fixed it in a rigid cradle, obviously i can see the advantage of the 4ws but is it a weight saving thing over a solid axle, or is it just to do something away fron the norm, whatever the reason well done on this interesting build the flex you have achieved is staggering. keep up the good work.
fourtrak craige
Articulating

1997 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh thats a shame and its not like Dasset is by your front door either Sad

ah but your free on the sunday, even if you are gunna have the hangover from hell Razz

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, it's a combination of a few reasons really...
- I already had the diffs which I believe are nion indestructable. I believe they are used in formula offroad with Audi V8's pushing up of 600bhp, or so I'm told.
- The shafts and CV's are massive. For a live axle to have those CV's in they're going to be some hefty axles.
- I can get similar clearance to the portals. Mine are about a 6 inch lift, CV to diff center. I lose a little bit by the hubs as portals obviously go straight up and mine doesn't but nothing serious.
- I've been a little sneaky in how they're put together as I've swivelled the diffs to point the pinion at where the props come from. This has helped the prop angles considerably, allowing a little more movement without binding or using wind angles UJ's.
- Lastly the way in which its set up allows removal of either drivershaft, or the diff without disturbing any other part of the axle. Should I break a shaft, its 6 flange bolts, 1 CV nut and its out. 5 mins and the new ones in. Try doing that on a unimog! Razz

I don't think there will be any real saving in weight. They'll be heavier than a normal axle, any pretty similar to a portal. Maybe a little lighter. I don't think weight on the floor not in the body is ever a bad thing though. A bit more to hold you down Smile

Cheers for the comments Smile

Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclipsed4ever wrote:

Build update... I got the pump today. Just looking at how to mount it when the realisation hit... "the engine turns anti-clockwise, as does the pump, oh for f..." So with a slight miscalculation, I'm taking the pump back tomorrow to try and change it for a clockwise one. Idiot. Embarassed so much for skills Razz

Is it a vane pump? can you not take it to pieces and reverse the rotation?
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This particular one it's a gear pump. Some you can strip and swap but I don't believe this one you can. It shouldn't pose a massive problem, just a bit of a hold up.
Phil B
Gate Opener

Odometer: 33

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate nice to see that single seater youve been telling me about ,look forward to seeing it in action... those axles look awesome...probably the way forward for my buggy as well,see you at midwest ...all the best phil.
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evening Phil. yup it does exist! not just a figment of my imagination! Razz

hopefully see you at the next Midwest one? we're at Mancell Lacy on the 10th.

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm waiting for my pump to be ready (direction is being reversed for me) and for the honda shafts I eventually found to make the prop, I took the opportunity to carry on with everything else that needs doing.

First job was to sort out the hydraulic pump coupling. I'm mounting the pump to be driven direct from the crank. I've welded a length of pipe straight in the end of the pulley and made sure it was true on the lathe. The coupling simply slots in with an 8mm bolt through and job done. Quite impressed with how true it runs Smile

Next came some further welding. Been welding in all the gussets that I cut the other night after running out of gas. D'oh! Went round the rear of the truck too and added in some bracing for the rear suspension mounts. The back ends pretty much ready to go back together now and await a prop.

Once the back axle was back in place it was time to try and magic an exhaust pipe. As I'm seriously lacking space for luxurys like mufflers, i tried to modify the CBR backbox that I had on there before. This plan fell over quite quickly as once I'd cut it in half, I noticed the damn thing had an aluminium skin. Can't weld that so its in the bin. I did however come across an old backbox from an old RX7 I had. It was a nice short box, and it had a nice tip to, score Cool It's going to need some cleaning up and repainting but for now its fine. I think I've managed to squeeze one of the smallest exhaust systems in above the back axle. At least with it being a steel box this time, it can always change shape slightly should something foul, although I think it'll be fine. Another benefit of the RX7 backbox is she now sounds a lot more throaty than with the CBR can. So pretty happy with the outcome.

Looking forward to the pump being ready so I can finally get the steering sorted.

boss
Just got MTs

Odometer: 262

1995 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like what youve done with the makeshift portal axle. very clever but your female doesnt seam too pleased to be sitting in there lol. is that seat adjustable? looks like your knees will be a bit high

pm me for tube manipulation

‎2lb club hammer?......HA! my club hammer is a cut down sledge!
Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. Well she got in there of her own accord so it's her own fault.

Um, no the seat isn't adjustable. I've had to drop it and tip it back in order to gain a little more head room and aid in not having to get my legs shortened to fit in there. Since trying like that I've decided I need to move the pedals forward though, it's just too cramped. At the same time I need to squeeze a different servo and master cylinder in. The two I have are two big and the brakes are solid, even with two remote servos.

Got the pump back today so I've spent the evening trying to mount it. It's pretty close now but needs a slight tweak to get it true with the coupling on the pulley. Hey ho, theres always tomorrow Smile

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wee update.

The steering is now fully functioning. Made up the reservoir from an old fire extiguisher and some fittings. Eventually got all the other fittings i required after several visits to my local hyrdraulics dealer - NOT a cheap game! between the pump, coupling, pressure relief valve, various fittings, some bits of pipe and one hydraulic pipe it owes me best part of £300. It wants to work well!

Anyway, piped it all up (several times as I forgot to set up the pressure relief valve so couldn't get any pressure Embarassed ) and now the steering is nice and light and quick, even on tickover. It does get faster/lighter as the revs increase but with a gearpump thats fairly unavoidable. Something I'm sure I'll get used to anyway. I'm just happy that its finally working.

Next... rear prop. Unfortunately I'm STILL waiting for the parts to arrive Mad Can't get hold of the seller either. Not impressed...

Eclipsed4ever
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right well after purchasing a second set of driveshafts to make a prop out of, the seller got back to me and now I've ended up with two sets. D'oh! Anyway, its allowed me to get on with it and today I've done the rear prop. It's a very similar set up to the front. Military Land Rover prop with double cardan, idler bearing in the middle mounted to the engine, and a very small shaft joining to the geabox. The prop looks pretty straight and 100x better than the previous rear prop. Might actually be able to give it some stick without worrying now Twisted Evil

So as I've got (some) brakes and now 4WD, I thought it'd be rude not to go for a quick spin to see how the new setup performs...

Unfotunately at this point my phone went flat... d'oh...

And one of the hydraulic pump.

Well now drive and steering seems to be working well, the next task is to tackle the brakes. I've never managed to get good brakes on the damn thing, and I've currently got two LR clutch master cylinders (one for front and one for rear) running through twin remote servos. I think the diameter of the master cylinders, and the remote servoes being generally a bit rubbish contribute to being only just able to stop. Mad

To get around this problem I've just bought a Hydroboost system for a Mustang. This is basically a hydraulically assisted servo instead of the usual vacuum system. It uses the pressure from the power steering pump to aid the driver. This is basically the same as used on large American 4x4's, unimogs, small lorries etc. The system is smaller than a servo and hopefully more powerful. Many produce around 2500psi of brake line pressure. I'm planning on running this through a solenoid pack from an ABS pump to give me fiddle brakes, selectable by a button for each wheel.

Plenty to do yet but at least I can take it out for some abuse now Smile

Let Luce
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4018

1977 Land Rover 101

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guess you're going for a similar set up to this guy in his Series truck with a 4.6 chevy lump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0YH4bQ8LME&...ist=ULgrDbRS-X0DA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: