Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Long travel indi buggy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nj111
Just got MTs

Odometer: 166

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with that & look forward to seeing more of this build in the future!
jamie_grieve
Articulating

Odometer: 876

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I'd seen this build earlier, I don't know how I missed it!

Quote:
The idea is to have big travel without putting the cv's at silly angles as there the angles will be shared between the cv's.

I'm not really sure I follow this.
The maximum angle the outer CV at the wheel can take is when the shaft closest to it is at lets say 40º for arguments sake and easy counting.
If the middle CV were able to reduce this by being lower than the axis from the diff to the hub then the other end of the CV in the middle of the shaft would have to be pointing up at an angle the CV in the middle of the vehicle couldn't operate at.
Surely it then follows that the CV in the middle of the vehicle could only offer 20º of droop to each side and maximum travel is achieved with both half shafts on each side being in a straight line and the maximum angle at the hub at any time is 20º.

I'm sure You know all this so I'm looking for the advantages here of this setup.
The flat backbone without a diff in the way of the engine is for sure a great part of it and I'm guessing the 20º limitation on the CV's at the hub is for durability but that would be lost during turning?

The CV in the middle working at up to it's maximum travel on that one side will surely give more chance of failure than a conventional setup with a diff in the middle?

Quote:
Most ifs builder look for the narrowist diff they can find to aid cv angles , all im doing is effectively integrating the diff into the left drive shaft so the diff width is effectively zero.

Without the drawings it's hard to see if the loss of say 8" on each shaft compared to a conventional setup is worth it given the limitations of the central CV with only half of the effective travel and (twice ?) the chance of failure.

That said though the load on any wheel at full droop is pretty low so maybe not a problem?

I'm following with great interest. Just so happen to have an old Audi 100 quattro and an A8 already laying in the driveway and a whole bunch of portal hubs Smile
I fully intend to steal as many of your good ideas for my builds whenever I get back home Razz

Good luck with it all.
kenhutch
Just got MTs

Odometer: 292

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news/progress of this amazing project? Please.

Was hoping for some more photos of the suspension arrangement as to be honest I still can't fully picture how it will work. Closest example I (think) I could compare it with is the TTB setup on old Ford Bronco's (very agricultural by comparison!)

Ken
fixit
Just got MTs

Odometer: 387

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some how i missed this along the way just had read through and its nice to see someone like yourself the can produce something without plans from scratch

Thats one thing that annoys me on most of the yanky site they all seem to want the plans so they can build what someone else done first

And i feel your pain on the wishboses its a pain when you think you have it all planned out then once its built 1:1 it doesnt pan out

Anyway keeep up the good work
noodle247
Articulating

Odometer: 594

1986 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this project still going?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: