Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Is LPG worth getting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> LPG, Bio Diesel and Alternative Fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is LPG Worth Getting?
Yes
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

mattpurves
Gate Opener

Odometer: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Is LPG worth getting? Reply with quote

Hi i am aware that this is a 4x4 forum, i currenty have a vauxhall astra mark 4 coupe petrol, which does 35mpg. I am about to start college in september and petrol is an issue, really love the car i have. does LPG do more miles to the gallon aswell as being half price, compared to petrol? is this worth investing £1000 into my car, ive looked at cars with more mileage but most are to expensive to buy. thanks for your help, matt[/b]
Stal1878
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3320

1990 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get less MPG on gas. I doubt it will be worth the cost of getting it installed. Why not buy a cheap diesel car? Not hard to find one which you'll get 50mpg with.
TheClunk
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1159

1997 Vauxhall Frontera

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky, lucky, b******d. I dream of getting 35mpg.
mattpurves
Gate Opener

Odometer: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stal1878 wrote:
You will get less MPG on gas. I doubt it will be worth the cost of getting it installed. Why not buy a cheap diesel car? Not hard to find one which you'll get 50mpg with.

Could you name me some cars? i always think it wouldnt be worth a diesel, considering the price diffrent between it and petrol.
Stal1878
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3320

1990 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apperently the pugs with the 1.4 HDI engine will get 50/60 mpg. Old pugs will get 40+ The newer('52+) fiesta will get 50/60 the astra 1.7td izuzu engine will also get 50mpg

Or buy a 4L Jeep on LPG like I just did Confused Laughing
its GED

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or buy an old diesel that runs on waste veg oil at ten pence per litre.

Cool
scut44

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a LPG user & a fan of it,
but
I doubt you will get a system fitted that does the same MPG as petrol
&
you are lucky if you have LPG in your area thats now half the price of petrol.
www.petrolprices.com

If you have a car that gets 35mpg on petrol.
9 litres to take you '70' miles
(nearly 2 gallons will cost) 9 times £1.35 = £12.15

If you buy £12 worth of gas @ 70 pence a litre you get 17 litres.
if you get 6 miles to the litre on LPG (27 mpg)
you can go around '100 miles' for £12.

maybe £500 for a self fit & then get a Certificate from someone if poss,
or around a £1000 for a professional fitter.
You do the maths & see if its a worth while saving,
i think not.

LPG prices are going up faster than petrol prices tho sadly. Sad

george

knottz
Gate Opener

Odometer: 27
Location: 102 Miles North East of Shetland - Tho Live in Liverpool

2004 Lincoln Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth it if you can recoup the costs of the install quickly enough - for mine I will get the savings back within a year - thats at around 15k miles, but I save almost 80 for each trip to aberdeen, £150 on lpg, v's 230ish on Petrol. Unfortunately with LPG the bigger the engine the quicker you save - but the more it costs to convert and also the general cost of motoring rises quicker as mentioned - LPG is rising quicker than petrol, When I 1st had a saloon on LPG it was 34.9p a litre at shell forecorts - roughly 6 1/2 years ago.

For your car with engine size you'll be looking at 2 years or possibly more to get your outlay back if your doing 12-15k a year.

Phil

RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have converted to LPG 3 times and now think it is a waste of time and money.

First, your car will never run quite as well on LPG, it will return a lower mpg and the inconvenience of losing your boot (or most of it) and having to go miles out of your way to fill with LPG will become a serious pain. Not to mention that it will devalue your car despite it being ostensibly cheaper to run.

My advice is to keep it simple and trade your car for a small older diesel with lots of toys that can run either on veg oil or Biodiesel.

TheHeretic
Just got MTs

Odometer: 357

1998 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vitara had LPG fitted when I bought it. It's weird, over in Bulgaria, 99% of petrol stations have LPG. It is far more common here then any other country I've been to, and at under half the price of petrol, the slight drop in MPG is worth it. Haven't noticed any difference in power flicking between the 2, but then again it is only a 1.6 16v.
CHEROKEECH
Gate Opener

Odometer: 43

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I wouldnt go through the bother/ expense of converting a car to lpg unless you do thousands of miles a year ie 10 - 15, its gonna take years to pay for itself, or like my 4 litre jeep which would just be impossible to run on petrol money wise, Mine was converted at 6 months old in 2000 and I have owned it for the past 5 years and other than 1 service (£90) and a new vapouriser (£140) it has not missed a beat, and to those saying you loose power mine actually seems better on lpg.
All in all I think it depends greatly on the actual car and the millage expected to be done
fatboy-beef
Just got MTs

Odometer: 345

1994 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just bought a 1.6 astra on a 03 plate. factory fitted duelfuel. a couple of weeks ago, paid £1400 for it
it cost me £28 to fill the tank this morning.
£26 last week end. done 225 miles some motorway and mainly town.
am a deffianate convert.
to do 225 miles in the vit would of cost at least £50 in not more.

and its cheaper to tax aswell. £87 for the year i think.

couldnt say if if was down on power compared to anther astra on petrol but when i switch between petrol and gas there is no noticable difference.

i would definately say that if you are going to get one then get one that is already converted and enjoy it.

i think you need to go test drive a couple and make your own mind up.

beef

oh just bought a discovery.. 21/09/2013
pam
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1016

1998 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a V8 for commuting for around 14 years now, first in a Rangie, now Defender. I do about 220 miles a week all in.

Over the years I have loved being able to have the fun (and awesome sound!) of the V8 and still be able to afford to use it as a daily drive by using LPG.

These days though I'm getting seriously cheesed off with outlets unfairly inflating prices as and when they think they can get away with it - such as making disproportionate increases compared to petrol / diesel, eg. petrol goes up by 2p, lpg goes up by 2p, even thought it should almost half less than that, about 1.2p . Also, when the petrol/diesel goes down again, LPG stays high.

There are less LPG outlets than when I started with it which means they have you by the short and curlies where they do have it.

At least ASDA at Monks Cross in York seem to be playing reasonably fair, as their LPG price is now stable and very low compared to smaller local forecourts.

So, it is with much sadness that I recently decided to convert to diesel, and stick a TD5 in my 90 (when I source all the bits). With the autobox the cost per mile will be pretty much the same as I get now with the V8 so I'm not gonna save any money. What it will save me is the hassle of making de-tours to get fuel and having to run petrol when the only pump in the area is out of order...

Oh, it will be a nice feeling to fill up on diesel once a week after doing my weekly shop at Sainsbury's, rather than twice a week detours on the way home from work....

The other reason is a longer term one - we are intending to do 6 month tour of Australia in 18 months or so and diesel in the tank, plus extra tanks will be more suitable for travelling where there is big gaps between filling stations.

Fortunately I'll still get my V8 fix as we will be keeping our other 2 motors on petrol for some time to come yet (4.0 P38 and 5.7l V8 100 inch Defender)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> LPG, Bio Diesel and Alternative Fuels All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: