Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

suzuki redtop
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2004

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: suzuki redtop Reply with quote

thought it was about time a started a build thred

il give you some brieft build pics to get up to where i am at the mo, including how i built it before, its all part of it.

so this is how she started of
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/durdzzz/DSC00004.jpg?t=1295002434[/img]
picked it up for 500, in abit of a hurry didnt know what to look for at the time and once i got it back, as useuall full of rust around all arches the back was worst off.

i wanted to get rid of the crappy torne soft top so i picked up a tin top that had been rolled and fitted the roof on, and cut the front arches out to get rid of the rust. plan was to plate them in but i never got round to doing it, so il do it this time round

i wanted to tray back the rear so on tot the next step

i did a spoa conversion on at as well as i thought that was the best way to go about getting offroad performance
now i wish i kept it spua. bit of paint everywhere and prepped the body for spraying.
not to forget the 2.0l 16v redtop and manta 1.8 gearbox i installed.
everywheres been undersealed and painted

my first attempt at the engine mounts

Twiss
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6438

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit like XULK Wink
www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to keep with a suzuki theme with the paint and decided to go with the GP bike colour and graphics

now it was time to make my cage trayback/pickup, it all centers around my waffle boards for easy access at all times, cheapo clark bender didnt do to bad

i did have to pack my dies out with abit of lead as it was rippeleing it on the inside of the bends

i had to make my arches and then the inside of the storage space. i have my ali 50 liter fuel tanks inside, the batterys are behind the drivers seat

lid on
[img:61c3a9593b]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs262.snc3/27758_393676975671_500125671_4606352_6914951_n.jpg[/img:61c3a9593b]

Last edited by durdzz-suzuki-redtop on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twiss wrote:
Looks a bit like XULK Wink

Laughing

durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

engine bay all finished off, i had some issues with it over headting, had a sticking thermostate so fitted a new one and the system wasnt pressureising but sorted that all out intime for TOR at kirton

the manifold is for an esscort with the c20xe in from the peter lloyde rallying. i had to cut a square out of the bulkhead to put the coil pack in to let me get the engine as far back as possible.
i have also put a stainless steel powercap on, i couldnt shut the bonent with the standard sfi box on, it was cathing on the brake servo. and a full steel exhauste with a cheery bomb Cool

its got full braided fuel and breaklines on also.

Last edited by durdzz-suzuki-redtop on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirton was the last time it saw daylight, after nosediving over an 6-8foot drop on to a rock an engine mount pulled of the engine side of the mount from underneath. Shocked Confused Laughing not welded it at all so my fault. this caused the engine to drop down on to the steering rack which worked the rubber bush out the bulkhead = no steering so we had to call it aday at 2 on sunday. also i pulled a big rock up, dinted my front diff caseing, and bent all the steering arms so i deceided to coil it abit a year earlier then planned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVzemUA8djY
the last time it was out[/img]

durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i manged tp pick up some lj70 axels and the start of the new build begins.

durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beacuse of the knackerd steering colume i decided to put in a vitara adjustable one, quick fit and change so that solved the problem quickly

i then had the engine mounts to do,

propper effort this time, with some big polly bushes

i had lots of difficulty steering last time and with the power and bigger wheels i thought power steerings was a must, so at the moment i have vaxhall power steering pump fitted, it maynot be enough, but i do have a bigger backup one ready to go on if need be. i just needs some brackets making for it.
the vaux bolts streight on so why not.

this coinsides with a new power steering motor of an lj, so my pitman arm points forwards allowing me to get the axel position i need with the 37's im putting on.
also to put up with the 37's i needed to bring my gearing down, so i trip to a freinds to assist with that

a really shiney transfer box? what could that mean??
so i got this while i was there

durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found some wella rims in the farm store room my dad had on his hilux 25-30 years ago, and they fit so i fitted a set of our beadlocks to them. rolled edges for added strength and they grip the tyre abit higher up so keep the dirt out.

i can now fit 12.5 mayb 13.5" tyres on

while i was waiting for parts i made a front diff guard as that was quite a vunerable part on my sj before.
this should do the trick, i have filled it in again so no dirt can get inside so easy to wash and very strong.

durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv not talked about what set up im running but im going to run a 3 link and panhard rod set up, the trailing arms will be creeper joint one end and the larger sj polly bush on the other end.
my coils will be 14" rally design springs and il sue my pro comps at the moment, while iv got them i may as well use them.
some parts, creeper joints (18mmx1.25") there massive

coils

springs saddles made, so tacked them in place for my axels position and ride height is almost set ready for when my metal arrives so i can get my links put on and get it put together

this is the lower trailing arm mount,

set at an angle as if it was parrallel to the axel when it moves round in the arc it will bind short, so angleing it round should allow it to move up slightly but down alot further with little binding.

when i took my swivel hoseing and hub of i found that the bottom offside swivel roller bearing had completly collapsed and was none existant apart from a piece of wire hanging out. this is whats left and damage caused,

it had damaged the top of the outer bearing case on that side so i got a swivel bearing and seal kit from milner so out with the old and in with the new.

if you run round the outer with some weld let it cool for a few seconds and it drops streight out

i just tieded up the swivel ball with my mini dremell to get rid of the burs the bits of metal and bearings pieces created.

it must of been the reason the vehilce got took of the road

ScottieJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far Cool Some really nice fab work on the new engine/suspension mounts too!
durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

il admit that rockwatt made me the top coil saddles in exchange for some rams, saved me abit of work though.

hopefully it will be done for kirton at easter

Rizla 1
Articulating

Odometer: 656

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the beadlocks Cool who makes them ?
N.R.G97
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1502

1966 Land Rover Hybrid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats Cool Cool Cool Cool
Kitesurf
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 14197

1994 Toyota Surf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have sworn that I commented on this build last night. Confused

Anyway, incase I didn't, I just wanted to say what a nice build.

aniesigh
Articulating

Odometer: 795

1991 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love it, as said by rizla 1, who makes the beadlocks?

new truck build thread:
http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?p=595221#595221
clbarclay
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1779

1987 Land Rover Range Rover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His avatar is a subtle clue Laughing

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=55368&highlight=mach

durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. The beadlocks are made by my cousin matt lee. All availbale through my self if anyone fancys any Wink
durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv been busy today, i wasnt happy with my wheel base and wated to move my front axel back about 3", iv anaged it so im heading for a 89-90" wheels base, but that left my approach angle not very good as the big winch on the front was in the way, iv lobbed it of and now iv got a nice tidy short front end, the winch can go where the radiator would of gone

durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv done abit more not much let to do now really,
these are the bracekts on the front

i have angled the sj leaf polly bush from the outside edge at 70 degree, i think its just over but hopefully il beable to get about 30 degree out of the polly bush. combined with the creeper joints thats 60 degree, so fingers crossed the maths and measurements have worked out, i just got the back to do, panhard rod, shock mounts and props to sort out and its ready to rock n roll Cool

CANT WAIT

Jamie-Offroad
Articulating

Odometer: 533

1994 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Cool

Land Rover, it's whats for dinner

Not fast and furious - Slow and delirious
durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd link

with the panhard rod if i do the towers from the chassis short and the one of the axel long then it wont allow the axel to move far upwards? it will move in a tighter arc upwards? does that make sence?

parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 7480

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that top link needs to go from the chassis to the axle as you have just made a raduis arm and that top jj is a waste where it is as it wont twist.

why have you mounted the axle bracket at a angle but the lower link is stright??

the panard rod needs to follow the angle the drag link is or it will steer funny over bumps

durdzz-suzuki/redtop
Gate Opener

Odometer: 9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm glad youv pulled that up coz I was unsure about it. Even though it would work like it it may not last. Il look at going on the side of the chassis but I'm struggeling for room. Any pointers for mounting it there? Parrallel with the other links ....?

The lower link isn't streight, and iv done it at an angle so hopefully I will get about 30 degree out of it. So 30 degree at each end will give me 60 degree.

And I know the panhard needs to be at the same angle but if it pivots higher then it will keep my wheel tucked in and move upwards slightly but down lots. That's what I'm asking. Or if it pivots lower then it will move up more which I don't want.
parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you not mount it on the inside of the chassis and on the inside of the spring on the axle.

yea i see after having a better look at the link its at a angle but the axle bracket looks like its at more of a angle than the link.

i sort of see what you are saying about the panard rod but its the bump stops more than the panard rod that will stop up travel.
the length of the rod will make a difference as with the angle of it.
have you got a pic of the drag link??

durdzz-suzuki/redtop
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Il have a butchers my manifold goes down that side so il have to have a butchers and make it fit. I didn't even try as I though this way would be best, when I flexed everything I think I would of found it wasn't if you hadn't said anything before.

Good job it's all tacked on lol

no iv not got a drag link made up yet. I need some rose joints so I can make one up and get it put together to see where the panhard will be.
parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

durdzz-suzuki/redtop wrote:
Il have a butchers my manifold goes down that side so il have to have a butchers and make it fit. I didn't even try as I though this way would be best, when I flexed everything I think I would of found it wasn't if you hadn't said anything before.

Good job it's all tacked on lol

no iv not got a drag link made up yet. I need some rose joints so I can make one up and get it put together to see where the panhard will be.

don't get me wrong as that will work good but its a waste of a jj and wont give as good flex as a true 3 link Wink

if you can try and get the drag link as flat as pos as that will help with the steering/flex

durdzz-suzuki/redtop
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. There will be alot of force on that link as well. If I left it like this that 3rd link would limit the rest of it so like you say I won't get the full potential of what's there. For the sake of cutting 6 taks of it's not a problem. I just need to work out how to get the bracket on the side so I can still get the bolt in and keep the jj the right way round.

I appriciate it mate. That's why I post things for ppl to cast there views and help if needed.

Keep watching il post pics of the new one once it's done.

Mike
parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at this one
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=829327&page=2

you could make some brackets like these

durdzz-suzuki/redtop
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on that mate nice 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: