Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

UNB - My Whitbread buggy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbuggy
Just got MTs

Odometer: 260

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:
Yogi and I are almost buzzing with anticipation ....

See you in 2 weeks. What are you and the Mrs doing Fri evening?

at the moment no idea, probably either trying to finish it off for malcs event or transporting it around wales to get to the site to drop it off & bring the other cars up, ( got 3 cars to move with 2 trailers)

have you got your acomidation sorted for when your down?
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're staying in Lampeter.

If we arrive early enough we can help shift vehicles with my trailer. After all 9 hours driving ain't enough Wink

Seriously though, just ask.

d86
Articulating

Odometer: 635

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RichardD"]We're staying in Lampeter.

lucky you. Rolling Eyes
we are staying on site in a caravan...in wales ..in the winter....lucky us. Shocked

not long to go now.

i bet it's like being a kid on christmas eve...Smile Cool

tony Very Happy

bigbuggy
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, my buggys not finished yet,still got wiring to do, but i did manage to change to my vnt turbo though

seen pics of your buggy from last weekend tony @ the xl, looked a bit wet
d86
Articulating

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearlly had to have another new engine this week.
that would have been the secound time since we have had "baz"...

me thinks dave the winch bitch should look where he is putting the truck.

proper winch man back now. dave was standing in.........not any more,,,

may be on different tyres for the weekend killed one poss 2.i think malc still has the spare up there.

no i'm looking forward to this one,muddy hands,,nice shiny trophy.... Rolling Eyes

tony Very Happy

d86
Articulating

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after one exellent weekend..(i won't say anything about you falling over...safe with me ..). Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

we need a update pic rich..

tony Very Happy

p.s. are you home yet..????

yogi
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buggy arrived home last night and last seen Richard was making sure it was comfy it in and wishing it a good nights sleep Wink

Phase 2 starts soon ..................
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was definitely worth heading to the Whitbread Challenge. We saw lots of slightly different set ups and dashboard layouts as well collecting ideas for running electrics.

first job is to get the wiring loom, fuel and brake lines run in and figure out where everything is going to go before getting it running and finally fixing the lines in place.

Lots of work ...

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F**k me this is a project and a half!

Got the car home and on the ramp a week ago and Yogi and I started laying everything out and figuring out where to start.

Fuel pipes are relatively easy and the new route including moving the fuel filter to behind the seat bulkhead seems a well protected one. The pipes will be shortened/lengthened using flared copper pipes.

The power steering, vacuum and brake pipes are pretty easy but the cooling system is a bloody nightmare: standard pipe bores are 32mm or 38mm, so of course Landrover use 35mm Rolling Eyes Considering I need to fit the original pipework in the original positions to ensure proper flow around the system I 'simply' need to add in longer pipes BUT I can get pipes but only in 1m lengths!

It took a couple of hours and some help but I've identified everything, figured out the flow directions and spotted that the fuel cooler and oil coolers are NOT connected and one dumps hot water whilst the other takes 'cooled' water out. Someone at Landrover needs a slap, frankly:

There are 2 pipes in 1 corner of the rad, one from each cooler and the oil cooler drains into the rad but opposite it the fuel cooler takes it out. Both use the same 15mm bore pipe BUT the fuel cooler outlet is sleeved down to ~3.5mm! Why not use thin pipe then! grrrrrr

So Plan G (A-F have been busted already) is to pipe the top hose through 2 elbows and into the rear rad whilst the bottom hose will go from the bottom of the thermostat into a wee manifold for the coolers and then onto the bottom radiator pipe.

A conversation about charge coolers to replace the intercooler is ongoing whilst parts for the cooling system arrive.

Wiring is another rats nest. We've got it all identified and laid out but we're looking at a messy dashboard because we don't want to rewire the fusebox. I'm trying to avoid cutting the bulkhead until I know how everything is going to fit.

The ecu will live in a waterproof box between the seats hopefully with enough room for the snorkel to run past and I'll build a plate over the top to carry winch controls and cut offs.

There are few wrinkles with Malcolm's basic design when adapted to a TD5 90 which requires a little cutting and welding, but nothing insurmountable or massive to upset me.

As ever, it is the little bits that will add £hundreds to the build price but I'm determined to build a reliable vehicle even if that means buying fewer toys and taking longer. No point in rushing only for it to fail in the first section but we are hoping to have it up and running and tested in time for June.

Twiss
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6438

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Richard, it's going to be beast when it's done Twisted Evil

I agree that it's a better idea to get it right the first time if you're going to all this trouble!!!

RichardD wrote:
Someone at Landrover needs a slap, frankly

You should try owning a Suzuki!!!
If I ever meet someone from Suzuki's automotive electrical design department some harsh words will be exchanged.

Then I will rip their F***ING EARS OFF!!! Wink

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you still using water for the oil cooler then? Won't you want to take the heat load away from the rad?

Unless the oil cooler is on the block? Its a bit new for me Very Happy

Charge cooler should be good. We're just pricing to make one for a customers Porche. He's got a supercharger Cool Not much room to fit the charge cooler rad/rads in though.

bigbuggy
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil cooler is in a modine in the side of the block
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamidris wrote:
Why you still using water for the oil cooler then? Won't you want to take the heat load away from the rad?

Unless the oil cooler is on the block? Its a bit new for me Very Happy

Charge cooler should be good. We're just pricing to make one for a customers Porche. He's got a supercharger Cool Not much room to fit the charge cooler rad/rads in though.

Its a TD5 and the oil cooler is part of the oil filter assembly on the engine block.

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sucks Sad

But, it is a spin on, so I guess there is a sandwich plate and blanker kit? But equally, I guess it is easier to pipe up the existing unit with engine water given the cost to bypass Very Happy

bigbuggy
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamidris wrote:
Well that sucks Sad

But, it is a spin on, so I guess there is a sandwich plate and blanker kit? But equally, I guess it is easier to pipe up the existing unit with engine water given the cost to bypass Very Happy

its actually part of the oil filter assembly on the side of the block, its easier to pipe it up than try & re-invent the wheel & try & do away with it,
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the price of a lovely wee manifold from Allisport (35mm pipe with 2 outlets - 15mm & 6mm) it is a very easy job. Andy said ~£25 plus postage so i ordere it and a couple of other wee goodies which arrived next day!

Keeping it relatively standard seems to be working! Loads of pipes, elbows and hoses are arriving so this weekend is "fit it and maybe test it" time

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build gathers pace

Today a second care package from Allisport arrived with parts made to the right size after I gave Andrew the wrong measurements. Both have arrived the next day despite him being busy. Top bloke.

The fish effect has made the pipe seem bent

A box of crimp lug connectors for the 40m of welding cable to wire in the winches, red heatshrink to mark the live wires, cables ties, loads of small connectors, a wee metal folder, hole saw set, electric sheet metal nibbler and several panels of 1mm and 2mm ally.

Dave at Llama4x4 has made me up some extra brake hoses, a PAS hose to replace the broken one and a couple of clutch hoses to meld the RR/Disco pedal box to the TD5 clutch whilst keeping my Meck Lock for a bit of security.

So it seems that by the weekend I'll have all the clips, hoses, pipes and bits to get the car running and ready for its first outing at Drumclog Sunday week. If it makes it though the day without breaking down, throwing a hose or otherwise bolloxing the plans then the rest of the build is fitting bolt on bling.

Fun! Very Happy

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night Yogi and I sorted out the exact routing of the wiring into the engine bay, decided on mounting the OE fuse box on the bulkhead rather than making a new one. Waterproofing will be a challenge but I have a wee idea about that.

The dashboard needed a few tweaks before I cut the ally panel, marked it up and started bending it using my new £25 Clarke bender (lovely piece of kit). This weekend will see a few hours pottering to get the dash to fit properly then it will be loaded with dials and bolted down.

I'm spending a decent amount of time on this because I feel a nice dash gives the whole car a 'professional' finish. Besides, I'll spend a lot of time looking at it!

Things to do before next weekend:

plumb in the meck lock and clutch
plumb the brakes
fit the fan and finish cooling system plumbing
fit new steering bars
wire in the loom
get it started, test all pipes and hoses
treble check that everything is tightened and safe to drive

Sounds a lot but I'm taking a day off work to get stuck in to it. Hopefully it'll all come together without too many leaks and silly little problems.

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was productive.

brakes lines cable tied in their final route and bled. I had a little panic when the pedal did nothing but I may have mentioned that I'd had to swap master cylinders? Well, I had let the actuating rod drop so i was doing nothing. 2 minutes and a bit of gynaecology and it was working perfectly

clutch line checked through the meck lock and bled

propshafts fitted - front is the old one and the rear is a spare puma front prop that will do for a careful outing. it is a tad shorter but my new ones are en route from Gwyn Lewis ....

axle breathers run in and up to the load area (gearbox ones left for another day) next to the

Air filter intake and ducting: run through the transmission tunnel then into the cab and out the rear panel. Final resting place still to be determined

cooling system: The spal fan arrived last week but the fitting kit and controller/pipe fitting STILL had not arrived (another story) so started by finishing the top rad hose around the engine bay using the lovely elbows that Andrew at Allisport made for me almost instantly (subliminal message: use Allisport) then moved on to the bottom hose.

The fitting kit (of no use whatsoever - grrr) and controller arrived at 2pm so I got them fitted using a little home designed universal fitting kit ( you will have to read LRW for that one) and some skinned knuckles.

Wings re-fitted.

Last jobs before the weekend
    dash board to be tied down
    wiring loom to be connected up
    battery to fit
    get it started

Then a quick look over to spot the obvious bit hanging off and we're good to play!

Twiss
Mud Obsessed

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahem...

MORE pics Wink

on a different note, sounds good!!! It's gonna be a sweet truck

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorreeee, I forgot to bring the camera with me and I don't have decent enough internet access to upload pics from home ("up to 350 kpbs")

I'm hoping we're doing things right from the ground up. Time will tell.

Twiss
Mud Obsessed

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good things come to he who waits!
www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some photos

The Meck Lock in position and hosed up

Repositioned airbox temp sensor (I hope it works!)

Power steering pump mount

Dash board front (2mm ally)

Winnet
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 14725

1985 Land Rover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Richard.

G.

All these questions and more after the tea break.
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large outlet is the oil cooler return pipe, the smaller is the fuel cooler take off

Fan fitting:
The 'fitting kit' was useless so I made up a universal kit from 4 long thin cable ties, some old window rubber and 8mm hose.

I pushed the cable tie through the radiator and then looped it back through. I realised that the radiator fins would simply crush so I slipped a short bit of hose over the tie to spread the load.

4 of them with rubber strip to keep the fan off the radiator and 'hey presto!' one really universal fitting kit.

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night we got the wiring loom all connected up, the ECU in place (roughly), tightened a few clips to stop a leak or 2 and tried to figure out where it should all live.

The waterproofing will be a challenge but the cab is looking a lot neater now and apart from wiring the fan controller, an earth cable to the ECU fuse box and the main +ve and -ve cables from battery to starter and chassis respectively we are good to go.

I've decided not to rush it to get out for this weekend as I'd rather do the job right and spend some time with the engine running checking for leaks and silly loose bits than get it muddy and broken in 30 minutes or less.

Sunday pm will be spent buttoning up and starting it so I reckon by Sunday evening it will be hunky dory.

If I hadn't been horribly let down by a few suppliers for odd parts I would have been done earlier this week - but that's a different story.

N.R.G97
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1502

1966 Land Rover Hybrid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like its taking shape Cool Cool after seeing a whitbread machine at one of our events (tony, d86) ive gained alot of respect for them!
http://www.profendersuspension.com/
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had an exciting but ultimately anticlimactic weekend in the garage.

Yogi and I got everything buttoned up, checked and double checked but when we finally connected up the battery the car refused to wake up. Power is getting to the starter and alternator but nowhere else.

We suspect that there is a wire missing from the under seat fuse box: there is a large brown wire that can only fit in one place but we can't find the other wire and have no idea where these 2 wires go anyway. The big brown one goes into a relay (starter relay?) but there is not a trace of the other cable.

The Haynes manual says there should be a direct feed from the battery to the fuse box but when we connect one we get arcing.

Any ideas? Tonight we get stuck into Yogi's TD5 90 as a template but some extra info would be appreciated.

bigbuggy
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c'mon richard, i know youve had it running .........

more pictures Cool Laughing Laughing
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been busy building, fixing and working on the house but I promise to upload some photos soon.

Just trying to sort it out and fix my sore back in time for this weekend. Was out playing yesterday and it really is a brilliant tool.

Note to self: Fit difflocker, it really needs it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: