Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

ground anchor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 7480

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: ground anchor Reply with quote

i have done a search and looked at all the threads but there is not much helpful info on how to make your own.
what i would like to know is what size box(dont want to use tube)you have used,how big the blade needs to be and what angle to bend it,how tall the upright from the blade needs to be plus what angle and how long the other bit of box needs to be or
has any one close to me have one i can use for a week to copy and make one from
thanks parrot

mudplugga
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2798

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Idris will be along shortly. Wink

"Roof, doors, wheels. It's the way I drive."
parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudplugga wrote:
Team Idris will be along shortly. Wink

yea have read some of his posts about them,his is tube not box but he may know what i need to know

mudplugga
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2798

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of pictures of Steve's anchor,

"Roof, doors, wheels. It's the way I drive."
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH it is probably easier and cheaper (including your time) to buy a ground anchor than go through all the testing and rebuilding that making your own requires, especially if you need it to be stowable.
sitrials
Articulating

Odometer: 527

1996 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied my D4x4 anchor but made it lighter using slightly thinner box section.
Best size/weight to hold one i've deen in use is available from goodwinch for its size it did a great job!
http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/pdf/longbow.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger eBay Name
parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sitrials wrote:
Best size/weight to hold one i've deen in use is available from goodwinch for its size it did a great job!

cool,have you got any pics/diemensions of the one you made??

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here Very Happy Somebody mention my name Question

Well team name Confused

We started with a blacktop-jeeps one, then butchered from there. The only real critical thing is that piece of flat bar thats fills in the triangle in the bent tube. Its doing the actual pulling Shocked All rope force goes through that. The tube maintains the angle of the plough and is under compression. It isn't possible to have an anchor you can carry easily and not have this tension brace.
It seems shallow plough angles are for loose material, and steep angles for clay? We kept increasing the angle in Midlands-UK-clay untill it worked, and its now way steeper than expected and quoted?
Tubes just nicer to hang on to Very Happy
Stick length seems to work better the longer it is. The original donor anchor was short, (2ft) and seemed to put up more of a fight than the long stick.
That 'T' handle is removable for stowage, and gives you a strong pokey stick to clear the waffle boards of clay. It sockets into the handle rather than the plough.
The plough is 6mm steel. It has shown no sign of bending. Do you want light weight, or build and forget? A gusset to the plough is a must. Three bends works well.
We have a removable plough/stick socket joint. If you don't need one, don't fit one. It's a point of weakness. Ours is nearly right, and requires a bit more work Rolling Eyes

Is it worth building one? Yeah, sure Very Happy You can save some cash if you have the gear. Some say its a safety risk, but it's not as risky as welding up your own 3 link suspension Wink

Edit; Nice picture of it split and on the bonnet Dave Cool I must go grab some photo's off your account Very Happy

Last edited by teamidris on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stal1878
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3320

1990 Daihatsu Fourtrak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Parrot, there is one with LT, I could take some pics of it if you'd like. Shame you didn't mention it when you came round, could have seen it in the flesh!
parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamidris wrote:
I'm here Very Happy Somebody mention my name Question

Well team name Confused

We started with a blacktop-jeeps one, then butchered from there. The only real critical thing is that piece of flat bar thats fills in the triangle in the bent tube. Its doing the actual pulling Shocked All rope force goes through that. The tube maintains the angle of the plough and is under compression. It isn't possible to have an anchor you can carry easily and not have this tension brace.
It seems shallow plough angles are for loose material, and steep angles for clay? We kept increasing the angle in Midlands-UK-clay untill it worked, and its now way steeper than expected and quoted?
Tubes just nicer to hang on to Very Happy
Stick length seems to work better the longer it is. The original donor anchor was short, (2ft) and seemed to put up more of a fight than the long stick.
That 'T' handle is removable for stowage, and gives you a strong pokey stick to clear the waffle boards of clay. It sockets into the handle rather than the plough.
The plough is 6mm steel. It has shown no sign of bending. Do you want light weight, or build and forget? A gusset to the plough is a must. Three bends works well.
We have a removable plough/stick socket joint. If you don't need one, don't fit one. It's a point of weakness. Ours is nearly right, and requires a bit more work Rolling Eyes

Is it worth building one? Yeah, sure Very Happy You can save some cash if you have the gear. Some say its a safety risk, but it's not as risky as welding up your own 3 link suspension Wink

Edit; Nice picture of it split and on the bonnet Dave Cool I must go grab some photo's off your account Very Happy

cool thanks,there's some good info there,its a build and forget(hopefully)have you any pics of how the blade comes off of the tube to make it removable as i need it removable to store it away,what angle have you bent the blade in the middle,i take it the other 2 bends are near the sides of the blade and what size is the blade

thanks parrot

parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stal1878 wrote:
Hey Parrot, there is one with LT, I could take some pics of it if you'd like. Shame you didn't mention it when you came round, could have seen it in the flesh!

yea pics would be good and any diemensions you can get would be good.

sitrials
Articulating

1996 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parrotveasey81 wrote:
sitrials wrote:

This is the only pic I have sorry, I just had the D4x4 one next to mine as i went along. I'll take some measurements if you want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger eBay Name
parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sitrials wrote:
parrotveasey81 wrote:
sitrials wrote:

This is the only pic I have sorry, I just had the D4x4 one next to mine as i went along. I'll take some measurements if you want.

coll thanks,if you could take some measurements that would be great

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see me doing much tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get a CAD drawing done to put on here. Then any one can view the angles anytime Very Happy

Also a good time to design this 'twin key' back plate for the new MSA regualtion on electrical cut off switches Confused

parrotveasey81
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamidris wrote:
I can't see me doing much tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get a CAD drawing done to put on here. Then any one can view the angles anytime Very Happy

Also a good time to design this 'twin key' back plate for the new MSA regualtion on electrical cut off switches Confused

now that would be Cool and realy helpfull and not just for me but anyone else who wants to make one

sitrials
Articulating

1996 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamidris wrote:

Changing the topic, whats this about twin key back plate cut off switch?
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MSA requires total electrical isolation in 'one action' for 2011 as far as we can see Confused
Which is easy on a comper or trialer as there is one key with an ignition cut off switch piggy backed onto a high current red key swich. But a challenge truck usually has two batteries, which means fitting a special swich with two stages or a very large earth switch. And those sound hard to get and expensive Sad
So the aim was to get two standard switches http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-605-90-100a-rat...switch-2300-p.asp to fit into a back plate with a 'thrower plate' to turn both keys anticlockwise at the same time. Ideally the common thrower plate swings rather than slides. The Marshal accessible pull cables then go to the common thrower plate. Then its both switches in one action Very Happy

So this morning I sat down and drew up a device to do just that. At the moment the back plate is 120mm by 310mm long. The key swiches have to be re-set individually. The design can be expanded to throw 3 key switches. Most of the parts are made from simple stamped aluminium sheet. (which is good cause 2011 is rapidly aproaching. No time for any long winded part development).

So thats it really. See a need, fill a need Very Happy

Anyhoo, next job is get buggy off axel stands and greece king pins on dragon wagon. Then hopefully ground anchor draw up Very Happy

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bertie_bas205
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4388

1985 Land Rover 90nad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Do you think these would be enough if it was made of aluminium??

Or would it be better if a few mm were added???

Bertie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Wink

I work in ally all day, and it is capable of incredible strength, but thats 5083 or 6082, or even higher mag content. I have some 8mm sheet at home with so much mag you can light the swalf Very Happy But the risk is the welding, which softens the ally back up Confused I used it to great effect yesterday with some 4mm 5083, where we did a tight bend by running the tig welder accros the bend line without filler rod Cool
So my ally ground anchor plough blade is hollow, made from two layers of 6mm.........and to be honest, thats where I left it. Last time out we bent the steel scaffold tube just after the brace, so aluminium is at greater risk, and is more likely to snap Sad Therefore the Team Idris aluminium anchor is complete, but not used.

Only 1 in 3 Steve projects work out Rolling Eyes

But it could be reserected with the knowledge we have gained.
To build;
I'd use ally scaffold for the arm, but steel as the brace, and go from tip-to-tip with that brace. Then I'd bolt to the ally with a hook point and the a plough mount in steel. So basically, a steel anchor arm with ally backbone. As for the plough, I'd make a hollow structure about an inch deep at the back and fit it with a steel tip. There agian, I'd tie the tip into the mount point Very Happy

durdzz-suzuki-redtop
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2004

1987 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so glads this has been brought up iv been looking to make my own, cracking drawings btw
teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thanks to Mrs Knight, who let me draw it up while it leaned against the wall in our hallway Confused

Behind every great man is a great woman.
Behind every offroader is a tolerant woman Very Happy

I could of made that less gender specific Confused Like; "Behind every offroader is a tolerant life partner, friend or family". But we all know that friends and family think were nuts Laughing

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update;
If you are hunting via the search engine, I can say we've had a good run with the anchor, but we killed it last week. The scaffold tube collapsed where it joins the square.
As such I'd say skip the removable joint, unless you can engineer in 2 connection pins. And even then I wouldn't bother unless vital.

What I'm building now uses the old spade (which is 6mm with 3 bends) with the old scaffold tube, with one bend, that terminates at the base. Then there is a new large 6mm gusset that is 150mm long where it welds to the spade. This supports the tube bend and is the point the brace bar welds to. This gusset is mad big compared to D44 or Xeng units, but we seem to be putting some serious load on it in dry clay. It is starting to look like it belongs on a mog Very Happy
Photo to follow once I've done some migging.....

ukjeeper
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1135

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traded some axles for this a few years back. Bl**dy strong, but i think the axles were lighter... Rolling Eyes

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: