Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

The Raptor - Mods in progress
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

Odometer: 44

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: The Raptor - Mods in progress Reply with quote

Well I guess it's time a came into the light and stopped just lurking around here!! Laughing

I bought my first Vitara about a month ago and have been busy getting to know it prepping it for its MOT. I bought it off one of the girls who work in the Cafe at our airfield, she reckoned the clutch was borked and that the electrics were shot. So being the good Samaritan that I am I offered her £100 to take it off her hands and save her the hassle of scrapping it Wink

As she stood (and had been for about 8 months). Notice the plant life just behind the wheel arch!!!

The next day we dragged it back to the workshop for a look at just what I'd let my self in for.

First things first, pull the manky carpets to get a good look at the floors.

Doesn't look too bad in here.

Uhh Ohh,

A poke with a screw driver revealed crispiness.

Bin.....

Decided at this point it would probably be prudent to check the sills. Pulled the covers off and they were filled with dirt and what was left of the metal bracket.

Amazingly the sills themselves were perfect!!!!!! After crawling around underneath it, it turns out someone has waxoiled the old girl at some point in her life, so the only rust in it AT ALL is under the body crossmember above the rear axle..................Hey, you gotta get lucky sometimes!!!

Here's a shot of the knackered "Clutch" Rolling Eyes All that had happened is the casting had cracked and pulled the outer into the cabin.

£15 down the breakers and and new I've a new cable fitted Cool The dodgey electrics were down to a couple of fried tracks in the stalk. After having a read around I found a guide to pulling them out, flooded the broken tracks with solder and re-installed. All my lights work again! (sorry no pics)

Cut the rusted rear seat mounts out and made a few new panels out of a 45 gal drum I cut up.

Decided to tint the rear windows for that murdered out look one of the evenings i ran out of gas.
[img:4213ec4ef9]http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab295/tommajeure/photo-19.jpg[/img:4213ec4ef9]

And that just about brings me up to date. Plans for the moment are get it road legal with some mud tyres on and use it until i reach it's limitations. Then i'm sure the silly spending will ensue with lifts/winches/ect

Last edited by Tom Majeure on Mon May 16, 2011 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i hit the picture limit per post. Here's the pic of the rears tinted with 15% Cool

rs kyle
Gate Opener

Odometer: 36

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£100 BARGIN!!!!
Russ24
Just got MTs

Odometer: 267

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the jelously that fills me is unbareable.

no seriously.

you gotta get lucky?

boy did you.. i think yuo should have played the lotto... because you 'owned' the set!

simple fixes... we like. look forward to more posts.

Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I felt like a bit if of a git when I offered her a tonne and she just said Ok, I was expecting at least a little haggle!!!! I think because it had stood for such a long time and none of her family are mechanics she had just written it off. Considering all the cars I've paid too much for over the years I reckon this is karma's way of paying me back!!! Cool
weld-werx
Articulating

Odometer: 614

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering ive been looking for the last couple of months for a cheap hard top vit needing a bit of work for a new project, you sir, have found exactley what i was looking for! bargain, well done!
Chris™
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3052

1986 Suzuki SJ413

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just thinking that I wish I could find a vit that cheap - need one as a donor for my SJ, noticed you're from Herefordshire too though so I thought it'd be rude not to welcome you to the forum! Where abouts in the 'shire are you? You should be a very happy man after all those cheap and easy fixes on such a cheap car Very Happy
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeeeeeeeell. That lasted about 7 minutes. Got a few sensible bits coming from Dave Bits4Vits on Monday Wink
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live not far from Leominster Chris. I've a mate n Craven Arms who I've been green laning around there with but don't know of much around here. You'll have to show me around when I get the old girl back on the road Wink
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So been I have been busy over the weekend. Wink

Firstly started off picking up a set of part worn Colway MTs with wheels from the Retro Rides Forum.

Came with one odd weller wheel so if anyone want to swap for a round hole SJ rim your more than welcome to it.

Fitted a rear spot light that I had in my pile of car bits Laughing

And a set of LED number plate bolt under the rear door handle, ready for the plate to be moved.

New exhaust fitted for MOT

Cut the crispyness out from the rear and finished off the welding (sorry not many pics)

Eye bolts going in for 3 point harnesses

Package arrived from Dave at Bits4Vits.Only bought a recovery bar, some wheel spacers and a +2 body lift (to be fitted when I change tyres). Super speedy delivery and very well packaged Very Happy

It's always nice to get parts in the post................but it's even better when they come with stickers!!!!! Cool Cool Cool Cool
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacers going on

Bumper off, bar in and spacers fitted.................got poke?

And as she stands atm. Twisted Evil
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question..........Are the hubs you can see on the front wheels auto free wheeling or fixed?

And for those of you wondering, the yellow car in the background of the last picture is my "long term" project Ford Prefect Rolling Eyes

Lil Beastie
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1281

1995 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh they look like fixed hubs, but then im not a vitty fella.

Your a lucky bugg3r, I only want an engine and gearbox and ill probably pay more. Laughing

I got hooked on modding for a few months. Its addictive. Id say dont over do it, but you obv know what and how much to change a car with that gleeming ford.

Have fun... Twisted Evil

Lil Beastie
Off-Road Guru

1995 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o, and ignore the following comments about your wheel spacers, they worked fine for me. Just dont go stupidly offset wheels with them on.
breedsey
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1195

1992 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Majeure wrote:
Are the hubs you can see on the front wheels auto free wheeling or fixed?
]

Ther're fixed hubs.

Looking good so far Cool
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old truck has been on the back burner a bit lately with Work/GF/Moving House. I have managed to steal away a few evenings last so a mini update is in order!! Very Happy

I've fitted the +2" body mounts, wired in a fog light on the spare so i can loose the plastic bumper for something a little more heavy duty and moved the trailer socket up onto the door out of harms way.

Lift in place ready for some bigger rubber Twisted Evil

Moved the header tank to make room for the power steering reservoir. The hoses to the power steering were pretty tight with the body lift so i just made a bracket and bolted the res to the radiator. It's also cleared a nice big space for a second battery Cool

Fitted a voltmeter where the clock used to live, it's on it's side so i can read it sat in the drivers seat (lol! just realised the old radio cassette is in upside down Rolling Eyes)

And finally named the old girl..........not very original I know but you cant see that the letters are different colours in the daylight.

Lil Beastie
Off-Road Guru

1995 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried taking the letters off? normally its just stuck on. flat headed screwdriver and white spirit and you cant tell they were there.
Mook
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1106

1995 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Majeure wrote:
Just a quick question..........Are the hubs you can see on the front wheels auto free wheeling or fixed?

And for those of you wondering, the yellow car in the background of the last picture is my "long term" project Ford Prefect Rolling Eyes

lovin the 100e! makes me miss my old one Crying or Very sad

Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a bit busier lately with the Vitara. Got a set of Rough Country shocks from Dave at Lama 4x4 at the end of January so made up a pair of extended shock towers. I cut off the old shock mounts and they just fit with the body lift in place Cool

Shock mounts welded up

And trail fitting
mudmenace
Articulating

Odometer: 844

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Majeure wrote:

this has made me a very jelous person i have always loved these old fords with a passion but yours looks like its being given all the love it deserves nice vitara too the look like look fixed hubs to me keep the pics cumming

2DR RANGE ROVER CLASSIC 2.5 PERKINS TD
5dr 300tdi diacovery
fatboy-beef
Just got MTs

Odometer: 345

1994 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any more pics of the arch repair from the inside?? am about to do mine and am after as many references as possible.

oh just bought a discovery.. 21/09/2013
rowlesy
Gate Opener

Odometer: 24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good buddy! much hastlw ith the body-lift? apart from what you posted have you had to do anything else to make everythink working ok? planning one for mine soon!
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a while since I posted up an update Rolling Eyes Been getting on with lots of things with the Vit, mostly fabricating/welding/grinding ect Twisted Evil

First up was getting the belly flat ready for some under guards. The exhaust I bought was a pretty terrible fit so I chopped of all the hangers and shortened them an inch.

Chopped about the tail section aswell, deleted the final silencer and managed to get the exhaust tip to really hug the frame. I'm still not 100% sure on this as the shocks get very close to the exhaust when extended. I might just chop it at the centre silencer and aim it at the ground in front of the axle

As you can see I had to replace the rear cross member as mine had rotted out

Used the old tow bar as it was a good piece of box steel. Welded on the plate for a towball also. It's a lot higher up so should help the departure angles. I only ever tow camping trailers (Max 200kg) since I've not got a trailer test.

Got pool? Cool

The **** of her now sits quite high since I decided to lift the fuel tank whilst I replaced the rear crossmember. Should be plenty of ground clearance!! That silver tube is the rear exhaust tip. I does look like it's too short but with the lifted bumpers hung on it just sits flush with the bottom of them

That's all for now, hopefully will get cracking on with it now the evenings are drawing out a bit Rolling Eyes
ChrisJTMiller
Just got MTs

Odometer: 185

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as u here, picked my vit up for £150. coming on great now, good luck with it and keep the pics comming Very Happy
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit more this evening, finished wire wheeling the chassis for some paint Wink

Thats all for now until the chassis black goes on. Cool
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted the bits of the chassis that needed finishing and dropped the tank in tonight Very Happy You can see the route the "Frame Hugger" exhaust takes much better in this pic

From the rear

You can see it lifted with about 5mm to spare between the body

And some gratuitous measuring tape action to the bottom of the tank Cool

After 5 mins with the ignition on to prime the fuel lines it fired!!! Although there was a lot of water in the exhaust, me thinks it might be head gasket time Confused
Kitesurf
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 14197

1994 Toyota Surf

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about the water from the exhaust. If the truck has been stood for a while it may be condensation.

Loving the 100E Ford Pop. My uncle took me to hospital in one of those when I broke my collarbone in 1969. They were getting old then. It had a knackered horn return spring and if he hit a bump a bit hard the horn would sound. Laughing
TheClunk
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1159

1997 Vauxhall Frontera

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had a workshop. Or a garage for that matter. Even a drive would be nice. Sad
Can't do anything like that round here. Had my Vitara on axle stands for 3 days while I was sorting out the brakes (simple pad change turned into seized calliper replacement) and had a letter on the second day from the housing association reminding me that in the tenancy agreement it clearly states working on cars on the estate is limited to basic maintenance (basically the couple of hour jobs) and cars should not be left in an unfinished state to avoid injury to others.
They would have a field day if I tried something like this.
Twiss
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6438

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheClunk - That sucks!!!
I had the g/fs car on axle stands for 2 months outside my house haha... I even lowered the stands and leant the wheels up against the hubs

Didn't look so bad then Wink

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
Tom Majeure
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure i could go back to rolling around in the mud and snow. I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to the workshop now, makes all the difference come the winter!!

The Pop was 50 this year so she's getting on a bit now. It's a solid shell but a far cry from the original design. All the front end suspension is Mk2 escort, the bulkhead has been chopped for a 1600 crossflow and its got a 4 speed sprint box. Unfortunately she's on the backburner until the Vit is finished. It needs a load of interior buying/making for it and I'm saving for for some 31's instead!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: