Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Project Zukenstein gets new body parts & 1900 Pug Diesel
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zukenstein
Just got MTs

Odometer: 439

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Project Zukenstein gets new body parts & 1900 Pug Diesel Reply with quote

I have waited 10 years to finally build my own off roader partly because of the expenses of children, which suck the life out of your bank account. Evil or Very Mad But I finally started, I will post as and when I get the time and when the forum picture upload works, Rolling Eyes so no hassle. Started a while ago so a lot to start with.

Will be loads of pics as I know you all like pics.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE comments welcome any stupid nit picky ones will be ignored, life is to short.

The start - as bought off Ebay for £200 in 2007 - LWB Samurai non runner resting in a scrap yard and interior full of water.

Got it up and running and back on the road for £250. Little bit of welding required, but the body and even the paint were pretty good. I think the previous owner had started stripping it to sell off bits or modify it but never really did much and just scrapped it.
Standard 92 LWB with homemade SWB softop conversion. Original Suzuki softop another Ebay find for £40.

Ran around like this for a year then 1st Stage
Add a leaf all round,
Diahatsu alloys,
235/75R15 Bronco Grizzly Claws
Custom 4x2 steel box bumper.

Here you can see the difference tyres and add a leaf made!

What the fool cannot understand he laughs at, thinking that by his laughter he shows superiority instead of latent idiocy.

Last edited by zukenstein on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:04 am; edited 7 times in total
zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More…

Pretty good offroad

Then fitted some extended L*and Rover arches as the tyres poked out a bit.

Then this came along FSO with a 1900 Pug diesel and rear wheel drive 59000 miles. £235 Ebay again. It had only really been used on a farm and caravan site. Just had £80 worth of new clutch.

Stripped it completely and scrapped the shell

So the monster rebuild plan was born.

1900 Pug Diesel and box from the FSO
Rocklobster tcase
Vit front ventilated discs
Rear disc conversion
X brake handbrake
Vit Power steering
Got a phobia of tipping over so keeping it SPUA with the add a leaf on back and Rears Up Front
Missing link front shackles. Dog leg rears
Polybushed all round
Range Rover bumpstops bigger and lower to stop axle hitting Pug sump
Procomp shocks all round
Front diff armour
Tcase bucket
Virtual lift
Back of LWB has a big overhang so cutting 9 inches out of the body only, rear chassis members will be within the box section rear bumper and bolted in place using old towbar mounting points
Rear rad because I am fed up with mud clogged radiators causing overheating
Need to keep rear seats (kids Rolling Eyes ) so custom rear bodywork to house rad
90x90 Box section sills
Custom fuel tank cut down from FSO one, wide and quite shallow more ground clearance and tank armour
Reverse rim Diahatsu steel wheels and Kumho KL71 33x12.50x15 tyres - makes the track 8 inches wider.
Probably bonnet scoop to clear engine. Thought about body lift but want it as low as possible
Custom stainless exhaust
Snorkel
Axle breathers
Removable doors and half doors for summer
Full interior roll cage

Aiming for all mods to be bolt on and no chassis cutting so I wont need an IVA test

Rough idea of the look and stance I am aiming for - my inspiration with a little photoshop – no idea whose zuke this is hope he doesn’t mind me using it.

What the fool cannot understand he laughs at, thinking that by his laughter he shows superiority instead of latent idiocy.

Last edited by zukenstein on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More…

Let the work begin…

Stripped out the rear to cut down the rear body whilst still supported by the chassis

Not much rust at all and I was cutting this part off anyway, well pleased

Carnage… Shocked

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More…

Cutting away arches for virtual lift

9 inches shorter

Plating arches for virtual lift

I know it looks curved on top but that is the camera, before anyone points it out Rolling Eyes

More to follow…

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More…

Virtual arches taking shape you can see where the arch is cut away how little rust there was

Frame built across back to hold radiator

teamidris
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3372

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good approach and departure angles. A 'slippy bit' under the middle and that will be a really good performer Very Happy

I'd recomend rear rad to anyone. Only downside seems to be the need for extra expansion bottle capacity. Seen them mounted high, and seen them mounted low with a transparent air duct so it works well at speed. But still waiting to see one flat on the floor blowing hot air underneath Confused I digress though Very Happy Nice build Exclamation

John yota
Articulating

Odometer: 548

1998 Suzuki Jimny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's coming along rather nicely I would say. Have you considered mounting the radiator slightly off vertical? This is something that is recommended with vertical mounted intercoolers on high boost / temp vehicles as it helps to get the maximum amount of air on to the fins of the intercooler, therefore helping dissipate the heat better. I suggest it because as the radiator is going to be rear mounted it won't get quite the same airflow as it would on the front. It only needs to be a few degree's from vertical, no more than 5 degree's is recommended for intercoolers. On my old turbo technics Sierra tilting the intercooler forward by 4 degree's made a difference of between roughly 10 and 15 degree's C lower (depending on ambient conditions) to the outlet temp of the intercooler over having it on the vertical. Nothing else was changed, just the angle the 'cooler was positioned at. Just an idea.

I like what you have done so far and am looking forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers, John

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John yota wrote:
Have you considered mounting the radiator slightly off vertical?

Interesting idea Think It's all a bit tight in there Shocked

I have planned the air intakes and fans around it being vertical but will bare it in mind if I need the extra cooling.

The rad I am using is the FSO one, which has been re-cored with 20% more tubes top to bottom, doubled up on thickness front to rear and made 6 inches longer so I will see if that cools it enough.

I have also planned for putting a rad back in the front if it all goes tits up. Then the back will be a little lockable boot again Rolling Eyes

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More…

Wanted to be able to fit the SWB soft top still and enclose the rad so the kids don’t get fried if a hose goes, so modified the tailgate to fit between the arches at the same place it would be on a SWB

Got a couple of rear corners from a scrap shell (thanks Breedsey)

Channel for rainwater

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More…

This shows how the top fits as standard and uses the channel to clear the rainwater

Quick mockup to see how it looks. There will be air intakes going into the sides of the wings above the arches and probably smaller arches so the intakes can be bigger, a mesh back with twin 11 inch fans on the rad and a couple of small shrouded fans going in the diamond plate top. The rad going in is the FSO one, which has been re-cored with 20% more tubes top to bottom, doubled up on thickness front to rear and made 6 inches longer. £280 not too bad.

This pic shows the clearance a virtual lift makes - 29 inch tyre with add a leaf (approx 2 inch lift over std) and a 1 inch spacer under the body. I was going to do a 1 inch body lift but I don’t think I will now. As I am keeping it SPUA I thought I would need it to clear the air intakes on the engine but I am going to fit a hood scoop instead. Want to keep the CofG as low as possible.

Chris™
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3052

1986 Suzuki SJ413

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks excellent with the SWB top fitted and the spare out the back there Very Happy
Mook
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1106

1995 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is comin on great! i like how different it looks from most zooks Wink
Kitesurf
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 14197

1994 Toyota Surf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truck is coming along really well Dave. Like it.
zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More…

Out in the daylight

Really tight on space.

With the back cut down the full tear down could begin.

As you can see wanted to lift body off but had to stand it at the back of the garage hence cutting the back down first or it was too long!

Lil Beastie
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1281

1995 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was well impressed after half of page 1 a couple of days ago. Amazing skills with a welder and that the soft top even fits (id go and make it too short so was all baggy Twisted Evil )

Than the last update tho Shocked Your doing the full works on it!

Very nice

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Very Happy

More…

Trial fitted the pug engine and box to see how it lined up. I am going to use L*and Rover engine mounts for engine, gearbox and tcase. They are cheap at £1.60 each and it means I only have to carry one or two spares for breakage’s. Plus it means I can get something useful off the broken down L*nd Rovers while they change their half shafts. Evil or Very Mad

Engine mounting positions were pretty close

This is where the gearbox ends, tcase in standard position, lovely!!! . Very Happy

Put front wings and bonnet in place to see what hit. Not bad at all really. I thought I would probably do a body lift as mentioned earlier, to clear the intakes/cam cover but my aim is to keep this as low CofG as I can so I am going for an air scoop instead. Going to fit one from a Shogun/Pajero I think.

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More…

Took the gearbox mounting bracket off as the holes underneath in the main crossmember were perfect. Not sure what they were for originally

Cut down FSO prop slid perfectly inside cut down sami prop. Couple of LR mounts in place to set the heights. Managed to line up the output shaft of the gearbox EXACTLY in line with the tcase flange

FSO gearbox mount bracket with new bottom to mount to LR mounts

All in place and tacked

Welded and leved off so hopefully there won’t be any vibration.

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More…

Rears up front RUF. Picture shows rear spring compared to standard front spring with add a leaf. Curve is pretty much the same, giving the same lift but extra length gives more articulation and the ride should be less jarring. Shocked

So made up some missing links to suit the extra length. Have looked at various ones including Phil’s (Kitesurf) thread and decided I would like to try them with polybushes in the middle. Can’t be bothered to muck about with greasing them so thought this would be easier. If its OK for the normal shackle I figured it may work OK for these. Time will tell. Anxious

Opened up the clamp around the spring too so they will drop more.
Will be making some bump stops for them to rest against on the front of the chassis.

Tyres Mmmmm…. Kumho KL71 33x12.50x15

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More…

Didn’t want to have u bolts hanging down acting like anchors, like this

So I made up some plates

So I could use bolts up from underneath

Fitted Vitara power steering to cope with the 33’s. Used this template to make the ‘wedge’ for mounting

Decided to fit Vitara LWB vented front discs and move the Sami ones to the rear

Sami top Vit bottom

Needed to trim shroud away other than that they bolted right up

New discs, pads all painted

Lil Beastie
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1281

1995 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!
zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky mark wrote:
nice!

Thanks Mark nice to know someone looks at the thread Confused

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted up the axle and made some armour for the Diff, used 1/4" plate 2 inches wide. Welded to the housing.

Needed to make front bumpstops that were further forward because of the RUF and lower to make sure the sump didn’t get hit. I knew I would have more droop because of the missing links so losing some uptravel wasn’t so bad. Used Range Rover bumpstops as they were more substantial and again cheap at £7 each. Made up a mounting bracket that bolted to the original Zuke chassis mount.

Had to modify them to clear the brake pipe junction and the shocks. More planning required before fabrication Rolling Eyes.

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually when funds permit I will be getting a winch, so needed a good solid mounting for the bumper and what will also be the winch mount. I have looked at various ways of doing it but again I didn’t want to really modify the chassis. I knew it had to be more than just the front two bolt holes that some use. Some mounts I have seen are really scary, a winch and bumper becoming detached at full load and flying through the air will take your head off.

This is what I came up with, It slides up from underneath the chassis and bolts through at 5 points. I drilled and sleeved the passenger side chassis the same as the drivers side where the steering box mounts. There is a plate welded along the bottom edge to make it like the bottom of an ‘I’ beam. It also closes off the front of the chassis to stop it filling with mud and acts as a stop for the missing links. I will probably put some more substantial tube inside the front chassis tube as well at some point.

The red outline is where I will put a 1/2“ plate to mount the bumper using 5/8“ towball bolts

The bolts for the steering box go right through the wedge, mount then chassis

Needed a double pulley on the front for the power steering so turned up an adaptor on the lathe so I could mount a single Vitara pulley to the front of the FSO one.

Skimmed the top surface on the lathe

Machined the back to sit inside the FSO pulley

Power steering pump will be going where the alternator is and alt will be moved further up out of the inevitable muddy water!

forkrentfitter
Articulating

Odometer: 523

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good,nice to see bits being fabbed and not just bought.
zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to fit heavy duty mounts to tcase so decided to use the same L*nd R*ver engine mounts on engine, gearbox and tcase. This means I can carry less spares.

Long arm side bolted straight on but I had to mod the other arm

Compared to a standard zuke mount

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made up a Tcase bucket I had seen a pattern for and beefed up the long arm and short arm

Made some brackets to be able to attach the bucket to the X-eng handbrake as I had read this bottom part can bend easily where the X-eng logo is stamped through

Coat of paint to finish

Kitesurf
Difflock Royalty

1994 Toyota Surf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some excellent work going on there Dave. Keep the updates coming. Peeps are looking but It hink they have read the sticky at the top of the Custom Builds section about not posting stuff, unless answering the builders questions.
zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitesurf wrote:
Some excellent work going on there Dave. Keep the updates coming. Peeps are looking but It hink they have read the sticky at the top of the Custom Builds section about not posting stuff, unless answering the builders questions.

Yea cheers Phil an occasional comment keeps me posting knowing there is some interest, but you are right about not clogging up the custom builds section Very Happy

Kitesurf
Difflock Royalty

1994 Toyota Surf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zukenstein wrote:
Kitesurf wrote:

Yea cheers Phil an occasional comment keeps me posting knowing there is some interest, but you are right about not clogging up the custom builds section Very Happy

OK, I won't do that then. Very Happy

zukenstein
Just got MTs

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing @ Phil

Made a bracket to hang the alternator high up out of the mud. Used the mount on the front of the engine that is used when the engines are transverse in Pugs

Also made a bracket to mount the Vitara power steering pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s -> Custom Builds All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: