Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

disco body lift questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theosmith
Just got MTs

Odometer: 133

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: disco body lift questions Reply with quote

hi i need to do a body lift on my 200tdi but have a few questions first so i can do it all in one day and have the parts there that i need,
q1 - why are the rear boot spacers only 38mm when the spacers for body are 2"

q2- where do i buy extended body tie rods from cheap?

q3- do i have to do extened the brake lines if a do is 2"enough or has should i go for 4" also cheapest place to buy these

q4 - what should i be carfeul of as im not that mechanical and cant afford to pay a garage

q5 - would the steering need spacers on it i did on my suzuki or will i get away with

q6 - what do people do about there bumper i dont mind a gap being there but i have bullbars around the lights and it looks like once raised will block it a little

i have searched on line but cant find a very comprehensive quide but i shall try to make once completed as to help others.

i have has some spacers made up all ready they are 2" x 35mm round with a 12mm hole in side they costed me £20 and made from mile steel hope these will be ok brought 10 of these unsure wheather to get some nylon ones made up for floor at 2" or shorter
any help is much apreciated
this is my blocks
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g218/theosmith/19102009048.jpg

this is my truck
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g218/theosmith/18102009046.jpg
david p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: disco body lift questions Reply with quote

tie rods 25 quid ebay

body bolts 16 quid

rear floor spacers 20 quid

steering shaft slides out enough on a body 2 inch lift

brake pipes **** ( llama 4x4)

wizard on ebay for the rest of the kit listed

its worth getting transfer and gearbox extended pieces to from wizard 20 qid the pair
theosmith
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i brought threaded rod instead of ones all ready done as was only £3 for 2m,
i did email wizard on ebay asking price for bits without spacers but he wouldnt give a price maybe he didnt quite undestand my needs

theo
wizard
Just got MTs

Odometer: 119

1990 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I wouldnt use threaded rod in place of bolts as its far to soft. You will need hi tenstile bolts.
All the parts are in my e bay shop either as a full kit or with individule prices.

Theo I was under the impression you wanted a "best price" for the parts, I cant do the bits any cheaper than they are listed.

Regard
wizard

wizardbilt
theosmith
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, just emailed again lol trying to explain a little better, ok well i am after the bolts and nuts and tie ends, and the leaver extensions gear/transfer,
i dont quite under stand why the floor spacers are 38mm when will be raised 50mm do these need to be used p.s people will be standing in boot for shooting

theo
terence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coz the floor is closer to the chassis than the rest of the body.

Laughing

q4 ans: you might be a wee bit outta your depth.

the spacers have no form of vibration damping like the originals.

and as others have said 10.8 bolts everywhere.

most of them will need cut off,ive just done one and everything was a pig to get off .
wizard
Just got MTs

Odometer: 119

1990 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 38mm is a typing error, for some rerason it keep poping up on ebay every now and again.
The are 50mm x 50mm.
A body lift is easy enough, if you can change a set of springs and shocks you can do a body lift.

Here is a guide i put together a while back.

regards
wizard

Installing a Body Lift.
A basic guide for a Land Rover Discovery Tdi

A body lift is not as straightforward as it may seem. You need to do a bit more than put in a set of spacers under the body mounts. This is a basic guide to lifting the body on a Discovery and can be use for other lifts as and when required.
The first job you need to do is replace the five flexible rubber brake lines.
There are two on each front wheel and one over the back axle.
If you install a two-inch body lift I would recommend having plus 4 inch extended brake lines fitted.

Below is a list of “other” parts required to do the job.
10 body spacers
10 long bolts (3/8 unf x 6 inch long) or m10x150
4 rear floor support spacers
4 extended body tie rods
2 radiator mounts
2 rear bumper brackets- not included
2 front bumper brackets. - not included

A few days before you begin your body lift its advisable to spray the mounting bolts with a good quality penetrating oil.

Begin with taking off the bumpers, or just the plastic end caps if you want to lift the bumpers at a later date. Bear in mind that the bumpers are attached to the chassis so once you have lifted the body you will have a 2-inch gap between the body and bumper.
Remove the 4 body tie rods; these attach the seat belts to the chassis.
Slacken off the steering column bolts; don’t remove the bolts, as the splines on the shaft will only need to move about 10mm as the body is lifted.
Undo and remove the 5 body mounting bolts on one side, and remove the nuts on the bolts on the other side (leave the bolts in position)
With the aid of a Hi Lift jack begin to lift the side with the bolts removed. Periodically check that no electrical wires etc are being pulled out of place; also keep an eye on the air filter pipe work as this is mounted on the body. The clutch pipe work will need to be kept in mind as this is also attached to the body. There is enough slack in both of these components so no extra modifications should be required.

Once you have gained enough lift you can start putting in the spacers. When one side is complete continue with the other side. Secure all the body mounting bolts once all the spacers are in.

The rear floor support spacers bolt onto the brackets on either side of the rear suspension spring, and support the floor !

The radiator is chassis mounted so when you have lifted the body fit the two top mounting spacers onto the two pins located on the sides of the radiator.

Attach the extended body tie rods.
Check the steering shaft and re tighten the bolts. Lift the bumpers as and when required.

[/u]

wizardbilt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Land Rover All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: