Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

94 Bighorn gearbox oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scouse_mouse
Articulating

Odometer: 653

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: 94 Bighorn gearbox oil Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me what gearbox oil to put in a 94 bighorn auto box . Question
DifflockPeter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can use Auto Transmission Fluid ATF Type DIII or if you want outstanding protection for extreme use then our Evolution 1 Fully Synthetic Oil is ideal.

Best Regards

Peter
Drift

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just the mannual Isuzu boxes that use engine oil?
Ste
DifflockPeter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Although an engine oil is a recommendation for Manual Trooper boxes it wouldn't be our choice. This is because in manual gearboxes, engine oil provides limited extreme pressure protection and the viscosity improvers within it tend to shear down faster, again reducing protection since the lubricating film thins out.

If you choose to use engine oil in your manual Trooper gearbox, we very strongly recommend that you change the oil in the box at the SAME time as you change your engine oil (i.e. no more than 6,000 miles).

Typical engine oils to use would be 5W30 or 10W30 viscosity grades to ACEA A1/B1.

Our own recommendation would be to opt for a 70W80 grade gear oil to API GL4 or GL5. This is a popular grade for Peugeot 5 speed manual boxes (405,406 etc) so shouldn't be hard to find.

Best Regards

Peter
Drift

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Peter.
As you can see I have been running Fronteras, my last one was a Sport 20l, I used engine oil in the g/box as recomended but gears where hard to select when the box was cold, I changed to semi synthetic and it improved no end.
At the moment I have the Isuzu 2.8 and have no problems with cold gear selection, but the oil change is due, I have read that gearbox oils can damage components in the Isuzu box, would that be true?

Im sorry for pinching the thread Embarassed but there very similar set ups I believe.
Cheers.
Ste
DifflockPeter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you are concerned about the effects of certain EP additives on copper alloys then check with the lubricant supplier or preferably manufacturer that the blend is compatible with these alloys.

If in doubt use an API GL4 grade since generally these don't contain EP additives in sufficient concentration to cause significant effects.

Best Regards

Peter
Drift

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Peter Very Happy
and the fast reply,
Ste
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Oils and Lubricants All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: