Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

The Austrailian Disco adventure - Preparation to the end
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Trip Planning and Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Toe
Articulating

Odometer: 507

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Roo - you'd better change your location now!
IBA Member #40051
www.ironbutt.org
Roo
Just got MTs

Odometer: 121

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Hope the u.k is treating everyone well. We're finally getting out there and exploring now. It has been a tedious task getting the disco road legal over here without the information we needed. But that is why started this thread.

Talking of information for others, our trip has inspired 2 of our friends to do a similar mission. They are Charlie and Simon (say hello guys) I'll get them on here soon Smile They are going to do New Zealand then Oz in 18 months or so but i'll let them to tell their story.

Right, getting a landrover in to Oz.

Firstly, do not assume you can cut the cost down by not using an agent to take control of the shipping in both counties. We thought we could but it pretty much turns out you need legal clearance to arrange the movement of the car to and from the places it needs to go until it is cleared in to the country. My advice to all is to read this thread, check out our costs and find a quote from an agency that will take the keys in England and give them to you over here all done. I reckon it could actually be cheaper and a lot less stressful. Or find an agent this end that will do the same but be prepared for lots of middle men charges.

What we had to do:

a week before the container arrived i went off to customs house at Perth airport. I tried to organise a customs and quarantine slot once the container arrived. I was told i had to wait for the container to arrive at the wharf and be put on a system. Not true i later found out. It turns out the guys ay the Customs (airport) knew nothing of the process as they never deal with stuff like this. Agents do.

We had the Bill Of Laden emailed to us by MOR shipping (who turned out to be pretty useless them selves). With this we went to Misc Agencies. We paid them £100 and they gave us a receipt and sent us on our way. at this point we thought we could go and get the Landy. No, not that simple. Another trip to the airport in a hired car as there is no public transport to the airport (stupid i know!) Customs looked at our paper work said all good and sent us to quarantine. Quarantine then sent us back to customs to get them to actually enter the information in to a system. back to quarantine. We paid them for an inspection and they entered in on to there system. but still know one could actually tell us how to go about getting our Landy out of the box. A woman at AQIS (Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) let slip some names of companies that could collect our box from the wharf and take it to a quarantine approved site. She said that we were meant to tell her where it was going so we could arrange the inspection not her telling us where to have it moved to. Makes no sense to me but to be fair the whole process is all systems and bull shirt in my opinion.

We then drove down to the docks (fed up with getting crap answeres on th ephone) and found the company that could move the box to there AQIS approved site to then have the inspections done. Once again NO, not so simpe. (we had this a lot, so much so it started to make the whole thing not worth it) Luckens, the company we went to see, couldn't move it for us. They gave us a number of some one that could. We arranged to have the box collected from the wharf and finally felt like we were getting somewhere. But NO, again, it turns out customs had not released the box. By this time we were running out of free storage on the wharf, 3 days, after this the charge is £90 per day.

Up to the airport again in a hired car to get the box cleared. The guy at customs house told us he could not do that and did not know who could. Can anyone else see why i thought i was dealing with complete idiots all the time. I was at customs house and they didn't know how to clear a container from a major port!!!! After many phone calls the government monkey found out we needed a company that could arrange an 'under-bond movement'. basically have the box moved under customs bond. He gave us the number for Jaydee. We drove back to the docks and found Jaydee. After telling them our situation a loverly lass called Emma finally gave us the info we needed and that was because she used to work for a customs brokers agent. Basically as i said earlier, we could not do it all our selves. She gave us the number of the agency she used to work for.

We turned up at Fremantle Customs Brokers full of hope but feeling slightly desperate and defiantly stressed. Les, the owner of the company took us into his office and told how it would be. Only just excepting the fact that this would cost more than we had thought whilst in the U.K we were informed that there would be a lot more to come. When we left Les's office we were relieved that it was in the hand of a professional and stunned that there were £500 estimated still to pay.

A few days later one on Les's minions phoned with the final bill and said once it was paid we could go get the car.

£850 pounds later we were the owner of a rather moldy non road legal Landrover Discovery. It turns out all the water trapped in the sound proofing under the carpet from when the disco went for a swim on Salisbury Plain had evolved in to life forms over every thing. Still made it though quarantine though!

I'll do a brake down of the cost so far at the end for people to go compare as even though we had the car in our possession the ordeal was not over.

Next was the pits. The equivalent of an MOT. After getting our second permit to drive the car on the road to the pits from the vehicle licensing agency, the first sold to us on a friday to start on sat for 48hrs then told by the same guy moments later that the pits were not open on weekends. Another government monkey!, Jay went off to the pits only to get turned away for not having all of our paper work on her. Note to all, take all paper work where ever you go to do stuff.

Armed with the best part of a rain forest Jay retuned to the pit. They failed the Disco on a stone chip in the windscreen, rear bump stops missing, a loose wheel bearing and some ultra minimal play in a tie rod end. From what we have heard from everyone is they are super anal over here in the pits but there is no yearly test. As long as people keep there road tax (rego) up they don't have to go. Logical, probably not.

So i ordered the parts and fitted them. Third time lucky she passed. We then finally went back to the licensing agency and pick up our Aussie rego that gives us 3rd party injury insurance for the whole of Oz. Hooray Smile Smile Smile Finally a road legal Disco in Oz

The costings so far for preparation, importing and Aussie road legal fees.

I have converted the Aussie dollars to pounds as it is at the mo. about 2 to 1.

Bought Disco 1 with winch, muds, snorkel and 2"lift £1500
Trip preparation: Out fitting, mechanical, roof tent and rack £1500
Blood sweat and many man hours £000
Carnet (£700 to be returned when Disco leaves the country) £1245
Shipping £1370
Port charges £100
Quarantine fees £110
Box collection from wharf and unpacking fee £200
Quarantine wash £85
Cartage to wash £50
Cartage to under-bond site £145
Customs agent fees £175
Disco contents storage while it was cleaned £50
Pits £40
Pits re-test £30
Aussie rego £115

Total £6715

The costs you will need to take in to consideration when looking for a price for an agent to deal with everything are from shipping to customs agent fees. All after that will vary on your vehicle condition, cleanliness.

I hope this will helpful to some people at some point, Mainly Charlie and Simon Smile

After all this ball ache and trying to achieve a major task on a tight budget our first outing in to the bush in our own Landy with our own stuff set up just how we wanted made it all worth while.

Some pics of the Disco shake down weekend.

In the bush, the start of a track.

The path ahead, it was quite technical driving, loads of fun.

Up she goes.

We came across some local guys. this Landcruiser had lockers ans stuff but beat his sills daft on the rock.

This 'cruiser was a weapon on the rocks. 4.5l V8TD Twisted Evil

Our first time setting up camp. Rooftents are real comfortable Smile

All the DIY out fitting work well, we cooked up a Carbonara.

Some of the local wildlife. We didn't know at the time if it was deadly or not so kept our distance. Turns out it wont kill you, it's a Golden Orb spider.

till next time.....................[/img]

Moved to the darkside for a while..........1997 Mitsubishi Delica 2.8td. Makes a good camper Smile

Last edited by Roo on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
leeds
Just got MTs

Odometer: 244

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you now have your disco and are getting into your trip properly.

Drive carefully and have fun.

Regards

Brendan

PS keep photos coming

2008 Trip Report Here

Asturias, North Spain 2009
davew
Articulating

Odometer: 938

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it sorted in the end, sounds like you had a really easy time with quarantine in the end.

Makes a huge difference having an bonded agent at the receiving port, our boat moored in Botany Bay at 6am, the agent had pre-booked container transport, quarantine and customs and put a priority on unloading the container from the boat. By the time we arrived at the agent's warehouse at 9am the container was already there and unloaded. Had it not been for quarantine getting anal on us we'd have driven out of the warehouse at around 1pm. Even then the agent arranged for immediate transport of the vehicles to an approved quarantine wash off within 10 mins of the officer failing all 3 vehicles.

At least now you can leave the red tape behind and enjoy yourselves, I hate seeing trip reports like this because I keep wishing I was back there Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgMB-s_ldY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POWV-p8erY0
Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah quarentine wasn't the prob really although we did take on everyones advise and had the Disco super clean. I had parts off to clean behind them and gave alot of the underside a coat of Hammerite.

On another note. When changing the rear bump stops i realised my rear break pads were running low and the new serpentine belt i put on from paddocks (a britpart one) has not stopped squealing since it went on.

I went to a couple of motor factors out here to get the parts required and to my horror was quoted £30 for the pads and £35 for the belt.Shocked

I have now ordered a genuine belt and pads for £17 from paddocks, even with the postage over here it is was cheaper Rolling Eyes

I reckon if i don't need a part quickly i'll get it sent out.

Moved to the darkside for a while..........1997 Mitsubishi Delica 2.8td. Makes a good camper Smile
rob heath
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4128

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

land rover parts are pretty much few and far between here

if you had of had a land cruiser different story

our local 4x4 car lot still has 1994 range rovers selling for 10000 aud

CarpeDiem
Just got MTs

Odometer: 297

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy days!

Best of luck!

Jimmy
Just got MTs

Odometer: 307

1992 Toyota Landcruiser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have a blast, especially with your own setup. I lived and worked on Rottnest Island for 5 months and regularly travelled between there and Kalamunda (gf's great aunt lives there) and got to know Perth and surrounds pretty well, loved it out there and plan to get back soon enough. May even take my own 4x4 over if I have the cash after following this thread! You gonna do the full loop? Make sure you pay a visit to the Flinders Ranges in SA, some awesome trails there and the rugged scenery is breathtaking.. I could recommend to you so many places to visit but that probably takes the top spot, just.

...or the Daintree, or the Snowy's, or the trails inland from the great ocean road between Lorne and Apollo Bay, or......
Jimmy
Just got MTs

1992 Toyota Landcruiser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, was the 215 for rego in AU$ or GB£? if that's pounds then it's gone up alot since I was there!
leeds
Just got MTs

Odometer: 244

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about it, why did you pay the Aussie rego (road fund tax)? If a temporary import you don't need it. Or was it the compulsory 3rd party insurance?

Regards

Brendan.

PS Like Dave wish I was back there. Will do it again soon!

2008 Trip Report Here

Asturias, North Spain 2009
Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy - 215 was a typo, it was 115. i've edited the thread.

Leeds - When i went to get the compulsory 3rd party insurance they gave me an Aussie Rego sticker for my windscreen to prove i was road worthy in all state for the year. My u.k road tax runs out end of April, i was planning to renew it on the net and have it sent out. Now i have an Aussie Rego i probably wont bother as in the eyes of Mr Plod i'm legal for a year. Cool Very Happy Also handy because my MOT runs out a couple of months before we plan on leaving and my u.k insurance is up in august. I wont renew that either. A risk i know but i figure with the Rego on the windscreen Plod wont understand the rest and wont ask. I hope!

Jimmy
Just got MTs

1992 Toyota Landcruiser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah so long as that rego sticker's in date you're fully legal for all of oz Smile enjoy!
davew
Articulating

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to SORN it if you don't renew the tax, you'll get an automatic fine otherwise.

On the plus side it's unlikely they'll crush your car from that distance Smile

rob heath
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4128

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

115 **** me dead i pay 800 for a v8 ford!
Jimmy
Just got MTs

1992 Toyota Landcruiser

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, rob I looked into all this when I went over, one reason why I started out in WA was cos the rego is cheapest there and there's the fewest restrictions with regards to roadworthiness/modifications etc. NSW are hit with the most expensive and most anal system, Qld are only slightly better. Got any friends in WA? register your motor to their address and get your rego posted out to you Smile
Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

We went off to Lancilin sand dunes and Wedge island over the weekend. Load of fun driving on the beaches and the dunes. Made sure i gave her a good wash off on our return. we had to drive through th sea to get back. Rust heaven! Think i'm going to wax oil the underside, i can see myself spending a lot of time in costal situations. There so beautiful. The place we went to is only accessible by 4x4 and after getting lost we covered 100 miles all off road. Ace!

Some pics

jerryd
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1682

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roo,

Welcome to Oz, I've been reading your threads with great interest and am so pleased that you've finally made it. Isn't it a great place ?? Hope your trip goes well, if you're down in the Brisbane area be sure to give us a shout.
While in oz, you should register on the aulro website. A great bunch of Landrover enthusiasts who would certainly assist with spares and advice if needed. Wink

dadba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Excellent stuff Reply with quote

This is a great thread Roo. Wink
Keep the posts coming mate.
SJR
Gate Opener

Odometer: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roo,

Cheers for the intro - and also the info. it's gonna be very helpful when me and Charlie come to join you!

loving the pics and can't wait to get over there! Very Happy

Simon
Jimmy
Just got MTs

1992 Toyota Landcruiser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try sandboarding? Some of the dunes at Lancelin are ace for it. Don't s'pose you saw this beast while there?

Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah simon, welcome to the forum. loads of helpful guys on here Smile

That truck is a beast. i've seen fliers for the trips on it. Looks fun but i'll save the pennies and do it in the disco. Thinking about taking my snowboard to the dunes to see if that works Cool

Jimmy
Just got MTs

1992 Toyota Landcruiser

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, watch you don't get bogged or you'll face plant lol. If you've got your snowboard with you i expect that means you'll be going to Thredbo this season? Beautiful little place but the best bit is the drive there Smile I climbed Kosciuzco just before last season, unfortunately wasn't around late enough to try the slopes. Looks like you're having an ace time of it, making me wish i was back there doing it all over again..
M&S
Just got MTs

Odometer: 278

2004 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying reading this and seeing your pics. Cheers Cool
Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, time for an up date as it's been a while.

Things have been a bit quite on the travel front for a while, We have spent some time living as Aussies and working to save for the next stage. I managed to get a job abseiling off high rise buildings in Perth cleaning windows. Jay on the other hand has found it hard to get work due to the globel finanial bull sediment.

My We decided to head over to sydney to try our luck with work there and stay with my Dad to save on some rent.

Our trip over was the next stage of the adventure. Our route was from Perth down to Esperance and off road along the coast for 400 miles through Cape Arid and up to the Eyre Highway. From there we made our way on the tarmac to Sydney.

It was an amazing trip and i strongly advise anyone in the area at any time to do the Esperance to Cape Arid and then up to the highway.

How ever, as some may have noticed for a few recent threads i have started, there has been a problem that has changed our plans.

Anyway, the pics. Enjoy Very Happy

Our camp for a while towards the end of Esperance beach. There was a cam at the end but you had to pay. We preferred the quietness of the beach. The sea is about 10m behind where i took the pic from. The peak in the back ground on the left is Frenchmans Peak.

The view from the tent about 6am

Me kayak surfing, Esperance port in the back ground

Sunset the same place

Our dinning room

View through the rock on top of Frenchmans peak

Us on the top of Frenchmans peak. A good hike if you in the area, stunning views.

Last stop for fuel and to see anyone for 400 miles

Bogged on the way the next camp at Cape Arid.

Time to dig

Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cont.....

Still on the way to Cape Arid

Our camp. This was the best in the world. We saw only a couple of people in days. The water coulour was unreal and so was seeing dolphins.

Cooking dinner

A morning walk on the rocks

A fresh water splash to wash some salt off, and some fun too Smile

Off the beaches and in to the bush

It wouldn't be an adventure if you didn't break something. Center diff got stuck in locked as we got back on rocky ground. i managed to disconnect the linkage and unlock it with a big bar

The joys of modern technology and wine

Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cont....

Back on the long road to Sydney. We did 840 miles in one day and still got nowhere quickly. This is a massive country!

So, now on to the down side of the story.

A few days after we arrived in Sydney we had cambelt snapage Crying or Very sad Normally this would be a ****** but not the end of the world. But the cank bolt is dangerously tight. Looks like it anymore torque is added it will shear. Add in a lack of work shop, time and the fact that we are now planning to stay in Oz for longer than the Carnet can cover the car, it looks like 'sally' our Disco is going to be retired for parts and we will get something Aussie.

It's a big kick in the ribs to put so much time and effort to be caught out, but the world keeps turning hey Rolling Eyes

We have more big trips up our sleave so i'll keep putting pics up. I'll also ad some info on what to do when it comes to 'writing off' a carnet car.

Jimmy
Just got MTs

1992 Toyota Landcruiser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I need to get back there.
davew
Articulating

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real shame to hear about the Disco, if you decide you want to give it a go you could try giving Mal a call at British and Swedish motors, really good bloke, competes in a RRC.

He's got a workshop at Narrabeen...
http://www.britishswedishmotors.com.au/

jerryd
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1682

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi roo, I read about your troubles on our aussie site, hope you manage to get sorted okay.

Your'e right in saying "it's a big country" not many people can grasp how big it is. Great pics, hope your adventure continues without too much drama

digahole78
Gate Opener

Odometer: 10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted to hear the disco's terminal. Followed the thread with loads of interest. Good luck with the new rig. If your passing through Brisbane and need some garage time let me know and you can use mine mate.

A fellow pom in Brisbane.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Trip Planning and Reports All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: