Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

The Austrailian Disco adventure - Preparation to the end
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Trip Planning and Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roo
Just got MTs

Odometer: 121

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: The Austrailian Disco adventure - Preparation to the end Reply with quote

For those that haven't seen i started a thread when taking the disco to OZ was just an idea. It is now a very real fact so i thought i would start a new thread with all the info, costings, preparation, Mistakes and do-goodings for people to learn from and to inspire them. Also a bit of a laugh Laughing

The Crew:

Captain, Rupert White, Age 28, Tree surgeon.
1st in command, Jay O'Neill, Age 27, Admin officer

The Plan:

We have been planning to travel for some time now but getting pennies is hard in this modern world. Our original plan was to buy a van in OZ that had been converted in to a camper and drive all over the place.

Then i had an idea Shocked

OZ being a vast and un-tamed country a 4x4 would be handy but not many 4x4 campers around. That's when i started looking into overland prepping the disco and shipping it out.

We now have the first part of the travel penciled in. Flying to Perth on the 21st Jan, 3 weeks of 'holiday' in Perth then the Disco arrives in Fremantle. We're going to head up the West coast (Coral coast) towards and in to the Northern territories. Being the wet season up there we'll not go to far it looks like we might end up dead Sad . From there down through the middle along the bottom to Sydney. Here we will get proper jobs and settle for a bit to earn more pennies then head up the east coast and in to the outback in the dry season.

Preparation:

I bought my disco with some good mods on but in need of some TLC. She is a 1997 300TDI with 153000 on the clock, 2" lift, Warn xp 9000 winch, 235/70/16 BFG MT's and Safari snorkel.

Firstly we looked into the cost of shipping and importing the Disco. Our first shipping quote was £970 but no personal possessions allowed in the car. We shopped around and went with MOR shipping. Quoted £1100 with personal stuff allowed but they accept no responsibility. Unfortunately for us at the mo the price might go up as you don't get a final quote until it sails due to fluctuations in oil prices and the AU dollar. Will update later.

Next was importing. We decided not to permanently import the Disco as we are going to New Zealand after OZ and it's cheaper to temporary import. We did this with The help of the RAC and there Carnet Du Passage department. Basically a passport for your car. The cost of this varies from country to county and the value of your car. From what i can gather the RAC do not check how honest you are about the value of your car.Wink I valued ours at £1400 and our Carnet quote was £1245. From this we get £700 back when the Disco is exported from OZ

On to mechanical vehicle preparation. Firstly was all the mechanical niggles. Nothing serious but all stuff i wanted to get on top of. Stop all leaks. Easier said then done on a Landrover but got there in the end Smile Replace parts that were starting to show signs of age and give everything else a good service and grease. OZ have strict quarantine so i have been told so i have been cleaning as i go then the Disco is off to Keith Gott Landrovers to be jet washed and steam cleaned until they are happy with it. Quoted £120. Once she is clean i am going to Hammerite the chassis, sills, arches etc.

Internal/ external prep. See Pics below. We haven't finished yet so more to come.

Disco stripped of rear seats carpet and sound proofing.

Take one kitchen from a caravan

Box in and line the grill side with aluminium

And attach to rear door

Build a frame for a fake floor and some big draws

The inside build so far, more storage will be created in the back

Starting point for the roof rack, pinched from the Mazda van in the back ground, not required any more Smile

Modifying the roof rack

In to the night

Moved to the darkside for a while..........1997 Mitsubishi Delica 2.8td. Makes a good camper Smile

Last edited by Roo on Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cont.

Finished roof rack

Take delivery of the roof tent (£360 delivered from a German shop on ebay Shocked )

Fitted roof tent

Watch this space..................

Moved to the darkside for a while..........1997 Mitsubishi Delica 2.8td. Makes a good camper Smile
crazymac
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2389

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, keep the pics coming Wink

http://www.ww4x4.co.uk/index.php
Damian
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 8838

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, keep the pics coming!

Fetch me a coffee & no one gets hurt.
Let Luce
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4018

1977 Land Rover 101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the shipping quotes for RORO or a container?

Containerising it means it's relatively safe and you can have what ever you like in the car providing it's legal, though it may not fit in with the roof rack on, unless you pay out for a highcube. If you can find anyone else planning to head out at a similar time you can cut costs by putting two vehicles in a 40' container as you pay forthe container rather than the vehicle(s) if that makes sense.

apologies if you've already looked into this.

Chris

RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice.

I presume you've taken time to consider how everything is to be strapped down and then accessible without having to unload everything to get at the spanners?

Give me a shout if you want to test any of our products (like stickers, puncturesafe etc)

Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris - This price is for RORO. It was a few hundered cheaper then container and easier for us as we are 15 mins from Southampton where the ship sails from.

Richard - Yep the storage has all been planed out for ease of accessibility and 'not get thrown aroundability' Wink The only bit i couldn't figure out was snowboard storage so that will have to be moved to get to the tools.

We'll happily test any products you would like to send our way and i'll do a full product review Smile PM me if you like. Oh, and Jay would like a sticker. I'll get her to join soon so everyone can hear her side of the adventure.

Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carnet arrived to day. It has taken about a month from sending off the application forms printed out from the RAC website.

All legal to go now, just need to put the turbo back on!

pam
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1016

1998 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you are both young enough to be able to part fund your trip while working over there on a Working Holiday Visa - which, unfortunately, is not available to us over 30s!

I wish I'd had the money, time and motivation to do the same when we were your age..... But very good luck to you both!

Dave and I would love to spend a year or so out there, part-holiday, part-working. Dave works in IT so is on the 'most wanted' list for skills, but being 46 is too old. for a Work Permit Visa. Although I am under 45 I don't get enough points for a working Visa as my profession is not on the most wanted list. It is very very complicated to go on the sponsored employment schemes, which would be our only option, but for which you have to get a suitable job offer before you even apply for the visa....

So looks like we'll just have to save up and aim to self-finance 6 months - maybe in a few years time when the economy has settled down again!
Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pam, Being under 30 and able to get working holiday visa was the main factor that got us to get our arses in to gear and do it. Where not taking huge amounts of cash with us and prepping the disco has taken all my wages for the past couple of months but we're actually doing it.

I sshould probably mention now that my Dad lives in Sydey (haven'y seen him for 17 years!) so it the **** goes down we can call for help. His wife manages this race team http://www.tubusracing.com/en/ and is off to the Dakar on 17th Dec. Might get a chance to pimp the Disco Cool Very Happy

ross_fj73
Just got MTs

Odometer: 425

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.
Just one thing. Is the deck on the roof rack timber?
If so I would check the quarantine requirements.
Usually unprocessed timber has to be fumigated.
We have adverts on the telly every night warning of this for locals returning from holidays.

1988 Volvo 740 GL
rob heath
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4128

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think imported wood needs a stamp on it

i forget what its called but it looks like a tree!

crazymac
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob heath wrote:
i think imported wood needs a stamp on it

i forget what its called but it looks like a tree!

Surely it looks like a tree BEFORE it gets cut? Then becomes just wood!! Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

Sorry, i'll get my coat Embarassed

Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ross_fj73 wrote:
Looks good.
Just one thing. Is the deck on the roof rack timber?
If so I would check the quarantine requirements.
Usually unprocessed timber has to be fumigated.
We have adverts on the telly every night warning of this for locals returning from holidays.

Yes it is timber but would it not be classed as processed timber? This could a bit of a ball ache a all the storage inside is made of ply

ross_fj73
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roo wrote:

Yes it is timber but would it not be classed as processed timber? This could a bit of a ball ache a all the storage inside is made of ply

The ply is ok and so are any of the chipboard ,multi filament type woods as they have glue and formaldahyde mixed in with them.

Its the untreated timber that is the problem.

I have sent boxes of parts to the US and they had to have a fumigation certificate.
You could probably do the roof rack in checker plate or maybe marine ply

1988 Volvo 740 GL
Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck is pressure treated timber not just bare wood. what do you reckon?

lcruiser100s
Gate Opener

Odometer: 5

1999 Toyota Landcruiser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey nice work.
We have just done the opposite. built the truck for around oz, been there done that a few times now we have shipped the belovered toy to UK and are planning on touring europe and across russia.
If I can be of any help PM me!!!!

Roof top Tent
ross_fj73
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roo wrote:
The deck is pressure treated timber not just bare wood. what do you reckon?

I think that would be ok as long as they can see it has been treated otherwise they might charge a fee to spray it.

1988 Volvo 740 GL
leeds
Just got MTs

Odometer: 244

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your trip. Be warned that you will have fun and games with AIQS. Your vehicle will have to be cleaner then clean. Am not sure about the timber even if it is pressure treated. Have you got a certificate proving it? Expect the quarentine people to clean your vehicle and charge you for the pleasure of it!

I have just got back from a trip around Oz, if you want to see details have a look here http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/forum/viewt...t=404&start=0

Check carefully for road closures. Be warned that if you are caught travelling on an officially closed road then the penalties are large.

This was before the wet season had properly started

This road was closed just after we got out.

When roads are closed they can be closed for months.

Regards

Brendan
Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Been sooooooooooo busy here. Had xmas, mover house and continued with the Disco prep all at the same time!

Since the last time i posted:

We have just about finished the pepperation. I ended up finding some rather large holes in the rear floor pan going in to the sills when pulling stuff apart to clean it. I have been getting to know the MIG very well, had to repair the inner wings after some over selous pressure washing.

She went off to Keith Gotts in Alton to be steam cleaned for export. They charged me £84.00 and to be honest i wish i hadn't bothered. a half aresd attempt and i did a better job on m6y drive with the disco on stands with me led under it in waterproofs.

Once she was clean lots of hammerite to the areas that like to rust.

We had fun and games last night. Took the disco down to the docks for shipping only to be told that they would not ship it on a RORO with out kit in and on it. PANIC! I was told the wrong info by some pleb at MOR shipping. Luckily i have recently be dealing with Kevin Rooney at MOR shipping and he is very helpful. I now have a container booked to be loaded at Keith Gotts on Tuse to sail on Thurs and only arrive 1 day later. PHEW. The new Price for shiping in container is £1363.00 Plus what Gotts charge for loading and straps. I've been told about £150 + vat. All in the container way will be about £200 more but much more secure. The price off RORO went up recently and the container stayed static. All in all good out come.

I have lots of pics to up load and might have some time now to do it so keep watching. How ever i am living back at the parents for now and they have a dinosaur for a computor so it might take longer than i think! Smile

Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i forgot, Brendan, i have been watching your adventure on the yorkshire forum and getting very excited, looks like you had an ace time. i'm probably going to go to some of the places you checked out. Did you do the track through the Great Sandy Desert? It's on our list if it's not to wet.

Cheers

leeds
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roo,
No I did not get into the Great Sandy Desert. Flew over it on the way out and it is BIG.

Please get a login on www.aulro.com. The Aussies are a great bunch and extremely helpful. They were a great source of information and help to me.

IF you are travelling as a solo vehicle get a HF radio or a SAT phone. You are a long way from nowhere when you are in the Australian outback and it can be easily days/weeks or months before anyone else comes by.

Have a great time

Regards

Brendan
Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right guys, i have some pics for you. The disco has now been loaded in to the box and at the time of typing is just floating off to OZ. Final bill for container shipping was £1370 all in.

Got rid of the standard bumper and plough. Replaced with box section welded to the chassis

Chopped off the rear box and made a side exit. I love this mod, so simple, functiional and cool Cool

Found this when doing some in depth cleaning. Back out with the MIG Rolling Eyes

Disco being steam cleaned at Keith Gotts. Poor job done, don't use them.

Storage finished

All loaded and ready to roll

In the box

Flying Landy. Please don't drop it, see you in OZ

Were on final count down now. We've finished work and passing time until our flight on wednesday. Very Happy

crazymac
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So envious, have a great time, take lots of pics and we'll ignore you when you return!! Wink

M&S
Just got MTs

Odometer: 278

2004 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking job, have a great time and keep us posted!

It's great to see how someone else has converted their Disco.

Have fun!
winchman
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2757

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really good to see an expedition vehicle done on a buget, too many we see have thousands tied up in them and dont go far.
Yours has clearly been done on a buget and you will have a better time.
Good luck and keep us posted.

rob heath
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4128

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit late now but they might moan about your exhaust
it needs to rear exit or exit right away from the pavement
i think!!

ross_fj73
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob heath wrote:
i think!!

Fair point. It is supposed to be exiting out the back and they will definately be onto that

1988 Volvo 740 GL
leeds
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ross_fj73 wrote:
rob heath wrote:
i think!!

Fair point. It is supposed to be exiting out the back and they will definately be onto that

My 110 has a rear nearside exhaust exiting through quarter panel. It passed the Aussie roadworthiness test. Got stopped by NSW police on a RBT and they had a good look at my UK registered 110 and no mention was made off the side exiting exhaust or 8 forward pointing lights either.

I had to point out the 'reggo' or road fund tax to the Aussie police as they could not find it on my windscreen.

The main point about temporary importing a vehicle into any country is that it must be road legal in the country of registration.

Regards

Brendan

2008 Trip Report Here

Asturias, North Spain 2009
Roo
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, we're safe in the land on Oz. loving the sun but i bet you guys are having fun in the snow Smile The disco arrives in 8 days now. i can't wait, we've seen so many good tracks and beaches to drive on. Smile Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Trip Planning and Reports All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: