Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Leaky rear half shaft oil seal AND spline wear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
:)
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4337

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Leaky rear half shaft oil seal AND spline wear Reply with quote

Here is a clue as to what the problem is:

Oil was escaping out of the dust cover, not much but enough to notice.

So off with the wheel and brake calliper:

Then off with the hub:

To allow access to the stub axle. The oil seal is fitted at the back of the stub axle, so it as to come off to inspect/change the seal. I see that the seal lip is worn and needs replacing, so that confirms the problem.

Now the reason for this thread ...
Which way do you fit the half shaft oil seal in the stub axle? The workshop manual says:
Quote:
fit new oil seal lip side trailing so that seal is flush with rear face of stub axle.

Sounds logical, but maybe open to interpretation. I take it to mean the conventional way, ie with the lip spring facing the oily bits (differential). But the seals that are were previously installed were the other way Exclamation

Best check in case there is a reason for this. Phone Mike (mmgemini), but he hasn't heard any different. Phone local Land Rover dealer and talk to "Defender expert", after much difficulty in describing what is so simple in a picture, he says he always fits them with the metal ring facing the diff. Which is the way I would expect because under the metal ring is the spiral spring which applied pressure to the lip, like this:

So, does anyone know why these might have been originally fitted backwards? Both of my stub axles are the same and I can't see why it would be done this way. There is no pressure (or shouldn't be) so it isn't actually going to make all that much difference, but even so why?
--
Tim.

Edit: Changed thread subject to reflect the way I've drifted off topic and onto spline wear.

Last edited by :) on Wed May 21, 2008 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray_Jnr
Banned!

Odometer: 4671

1987 Land Rover 90 TD

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because they were changed before by someone else who couldnt remember which way the old ones came out?
terence

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine said diff side @ or similar to indicate which way round they went ..

Ive used the logic that the lip needs to be outermost towards stub axle, seems to work for me, no leaks.....

sods law dictates that if theres a wronmg way to do it? Rolling Eyes
Mud Obsessed

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is the obvious answer, but I'm pretty sure I'm the first one in there. The reason I think this is because it was in a uniformly corroded state a couple of years ago when I went in there to replace the brakes, the sort of thing you would expect after 10 years and 150k miles.

I should have changed the seal at that time, but I had been supplied with the wrong one (90axle?), so I didn't bother. If it was changed before it must have been many years ago but I thought the salisbury axle was supposed to have a reputation for being robust, so it would seem strange for someone to be in there early in its life.

Has anyone else done this seal? If so, do you remember which way round the original was? I'm really just curious, maybe there is a reason for it.
--
Tim.

absquatulation
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1922

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I worked as a supplier to the automotive manufacturers, and it wouldn't surprise me that they had fitted it the wrong way round.

God, when I think of the things we did in supplying parts to Ford.... If you had a Mondeo and the lower radiator hose failed, then I know why..... and it was my fault..... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Mud Obsessed

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terence mckibben wrote:
Mine said diff side @ or similar to indicate which way round they went ..

Ive used the logic that the lip needs to be outermost towards stub axle, seems to work for me, no leaks.....

sods law dictates that if theres a wronmg way to do it? Rolling Eyes

So, you have fitted yours the way mine were originally. It seems safe to assume there won't be too much of a problem because mine managed to cover 181000 miles that way round before there was a leak.

The "Defender Expert" at the LR garage asked if it said "diff side" on the seal, but mine don't. Then I checked to make sure that it was a genuine LR parts bag - suspicious or what?

If it leaks any time soon, I'll revisit this thread and we will then know my logic was wrong, but the chances are it doesn't matter.

absquatulation,
I think you should tell us precisely what you did to those Mondeo hoses.
You know you want to.
--
Tim.

mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3096

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist thing...
AFAIK only Land Rover fit those seals. Can anybody confirm or deny that.

Certainly when I was working with Salisbuery axles on a daily basis they weren't fitted.

When did Land Rover first fit them ?? When they changed to the Defender or earlier.

I damage mine so they don't work. You see I like to know my bearings and my halfshaft end splines are lubricated. The splines do not get lubricasted with the seals fitted leading the rust and fretting at the drive flange, with eventually loss of drive. If fact I fill, well part fill, the end caps with EP90 at each service.

Some end caps are better than others, I lost two on my first trip. One on my second trip, actually the same one twice. Not had a problem since.

A thought.
The aren't fitted that way round to stop water getting into the diff ?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!
LandyAndy™
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1488

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmgemini wrote:
Fist thing...
AFAIK only Land Rover fit those seals. Can anybody confirm or deny that.

Certainly when I was working with Salisbury axles on a daily basis they weren't fitted.

When did Land Rover first fit them ?? When they changed to the Defender or earlier.

I damage mine so they don't work. You see I like to know my bearings and my halfshaft end splines are lubricated. The splines do not get lubricasted with the seals fitted leading the rust and fretting at the drive flange, with eventually loss of drive. If fact I fill, well part fill, the end caps with EP90 at each service.

Some end caps are better than others, I lost two on my first trip. One on my second trip, actually the same one twice. Not had a problem since.

A thought.
The aren't fitted that way round to stop water getting into the diff ?

I know I've posted on this subject before, but Landrover install them to prevent water, muck etc getting into the axle tube and it prevents the diff oil trying to escape when used at extreme angles. Without it there is an open path from the drive member, through the stub axle into the axle tube closed only by the dust cap.

Salisbury axles are a generic axle, with no specific end use in mind (apart from the obvious) so Land Rover will have 'Landyized' them, in the same way that they took the new Transit engine and improved its sealing for the 2007MY Defender. Perhaps its a little over engineered but that's just landrovers way. I personally always replace the shaft seals, as my Landrovers do get used in mud, both work and pleasure, and do occasionally go swimming. If you don't use them off road or do so very infrequently then I guess its not required.

As for the splines, if you are concerned about corrosion or ceasing, try smearing everything in marine grade bearing grease (I put some in the dust cap as well) That's what I do and I have had no problems. I personally think this is a safer bet than relying on dust caps alone; as you say you've lost some already.

Mud Obsessed

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For information/discussion:

1. Axle casing
2. Ventilation pipe
3. Axle shaft
4. Wheel studs and hub
5. Wheel bearing stub axle
6. Wheel bearings
7. Inner hub seal
8. Outer hub/axle shaft seal
9. Hub lock plate, thrust washer and nuts
10. Brake disc
11. Drive flange
12. Drive shaft circlip
13. Dust cap

As drawn the seal (8) is in the way I have just fitted it - spring facing the oily bits.

More generally, I'm not too happy with the seal arrangement. Half shaft wear is a real problem, I've checked the offside (short) shaft and it is showing some signs of wear after only 20,000 miles. It was greased but it doesn't seem to have done much good. The "oil lubricated" nearside one is better, so it looks like Mike's idea of damaging the seal might work. I guess the seal must be installed otherwise too much oil would flood past and the whole hub would fill and I don't think the inner hub seal (7) would cope.

I guess one engineering solution would be to remake the drive-flange (11) so that it includes a seal against the bearing locknut then ensure the dust cover is oil tight and remove the outer hub/axle shaft seal (7). This would allow the whole half shaft to be splashed in oil, but does apply a small torque to the locknut - not good practice.

Another solution might be to weld the half shaft to the drive flange, like the Disco version. So that leads me to another question:

Is the drive flange cast steel and easily weldable? Has anyone tried it? Does it have any negative implications? Will the half-shaft be weakened significantly?
--
Tim.

LandyAndy™
Off-Road Guru

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The half shaft on the salisbury is a semi-floating shaft, similar to the series/early 90 set up. As you say Tim, later 90/Defender and Disco have the combined Drive member/half shaft arrangement, which is an altogether better set up. Assuming the drive flange bolts are same centers, could you not just pop in a set of later Disco/Defender half shafts? May need to check that the diff end will tally up though.

I'm suprised that you are suffering wear already, but is this a conseqence of putting a new shaft against worn drive flange? I'm assuming that you have replaced the shafts, 20k ago, and that's what you are basing the wear on. If not, did you actually measure the wear 20k ago or are you just being subjective?

Mud Obsessed

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got a Disco combined drive member&shaft to hand but as far as I can recall it has a smaller diameter shaft and spline at the diff end so is not interchangeable with the salisbury axle shafts.

I changed both half shaft and drive flanges 20k miles ago. The wear now is very small (nothing to worry about) but it is noticeable. It is possible to see the start of wear ridges in the half shaft splines and there is a few degrees of play between half-shaft and drive flange, whereas when fitted none was detectable.
--
Tim.

mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3096

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymounsey wrote:

I know I've posted on this subject before, but Landrover install them to prevent water, muck etc getting into the axle tube and it prevents the diff oil trying to escape when used at extreme angles. Without it there is an open path from the drive member, through the stub axle into the axle tube closed only by the dust cap.

Salisbury axles are a generic axle, with no specific end use in mind (apart from the obvious) so Land Rover will have 'Landyized' them, in the same way that they took the new Transit engine and improved its sealing for the 2007MY Defender. Perhaps its a little over engineered but that's just landrovers way. I personally always replace the shaft seals, as my Landrovers do get used in mud, both work and pleasure, and do occasionally go swimming. If you don't use them off road or do so very infrequently then I guess its not required.

As for the splines, if you are concerned about corrosion or ceasing, try smearing everything in marine grade bearing grease (I put some in the dust cap as well) That's what I do and I have had no problems. I personally think this is a safer bet than relying on dust caps alone; as you say you've lost some already.[/quote]

I have no problems. I very rarely take my Defender off road. However some of the roads I've driven on are in a worse state than some play sites I go on. Yes and for days at a time.

I'me quite happy to let the oil from the diff migrate into the hubs. At least I don't end up with rusted outer hub and adjusting nuts.
EP 90 in the cap done at regular service intervals, 6,000 miles or 6 months with the hubs off each time makes for better life IMO.

Some makes of caps are better than others.

Tim. I think you'll find movement aparent on ALL vehicles. Some more than others Rolling Eyes

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!
LandyAndy™
Off-Road Guru

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile wrote:
It is possible to see the start of wear ridges in the half shaft splines and there is a few degrees of play between half-shaft and drive flange, whereas when fitted none was detectable.
--
Tim.

Just the newness wearing off Wink Out of interest, why did you change them? Were the originals badly worn?

Smile wrote:
I haven't got a Disco combined drive member&shaft to hand but as far as I can recall it has a smaller diameter shaft and spline at the diff end so is not interchangeable with the salisbury axle shafts

Thats a pain. If you want I can whip one of mine out of the Disco and have a measure up, but I did suspect there would be a difference. Sad

Mud Obsessed

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymounsey wrote:
Just the newness wearing off Wink Out of interest, why did you change them? Were the originals badly worn?

Unfortunately not just the newness wearing off, I can feel the wear ridge on the splines with my nail.
The reason I replaced them before? How about this:

Well used I think.

andymounsey wrote:
Smile wrote:
I haven't got a Disco combined drive member&shaft to hand but as far as I can recall it has a smaller diameter shaft and spline at the diff end so is not interchangeable with the salisbury axle shafts

Thats a pain. If you want I can whip one of mine out of the Disco and have a measure up, but I did suspect there would be a difference. Sad

The salisbury shafts have identical splines on both ends. If it wasn't for the oil seal running surface and a circlip you could fit them backwards. Splines at the diff end don't wear, but drive flange ones do.
--
Tim.

LandyAndy™
Off-Road Guru

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those photos of the old shaft and flange? Look new to me.Plenty of life left. Very Happy
terence

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree change them when there is excessive slap in the transmission otherwise carry spares on a long trip just in case , theres plenty of life left in them yet.

As for not waering the diff end, they tend to twist and snap off....... annoying Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Land Rover All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: