FAQ
  Search
  Private Messages
  Register
  Memberlist
  Usergroups
  Contact Us

Questions about off roading in buchan area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> BORDC - Buchan Offroad Drivers Club -> BORDC General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotax
Gate Opener

Odometer: 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Questions about off roading in buchan area Reply with quote

Hi

I am looking for places to off road legally in the buchan area or in aberdeenshire generally , I have recently purchased a hybrid land rover and don't know where to drive it on the right side of the law. as things seem to be getting very anti off road these days and i haven't off roaded fr a few years. any info on your club would be good also.

thanks
rotax
--Ped--
Just got MTs

Odometer: 219

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, that's a good question and I've been wondering this last year where to go offroad with my Yota LJ70 any time I wish to, safely and legally, by my self or even better with some company. Very Happy

Is that place in Memsie opened for anyone who wish to go there and have some fun?

If you find some good places give me a shout, I might be able to go. Very Happy

Have fun
Pedro

bertie_bas205
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4388

1985 Land Rover 90nad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this question about 8 months ago, so I too would be interested in places to go.

Bertie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gazguzzler
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2172

2006 Land Rover 110

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents, there is no where legally to play in Buchan area (in fact in Scotland) without permission from the land owner. There used to be a pay and play site called Nortrak close to Stonehaven but that appears to be closed now. There is a 4x4 site in Perth that you can join that you play at 365 days a year - I have forget the name but I'm sure someone will post a link.

Please dont play at Memsie or any other BORDC site without permission of the landowner. Do not go for a wee play in the local forest as we have had trouble reported back to the club about similar incidents - any club member found doing so will be asked to leave the club.

But on the bright side, join the BORDC at www.bordc.net have a look at the events calender and come along to the organised events.

Phil
james_hillerby
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3316

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

other than at a BORDC event or on private land with the landowners permission there is nowhere to offroad in the north east i don't think.

there used to be a play site at Stonehaven direction but I'm unsure if its still open.

twice a year there is an event called drumclog organsied down near Glasgow, this is just a huge bit of farm land for people to play but they have landowners permission and there is a few safety rules.
have a look in the general events section for the thread on it.

if you come along to our next RTV event you can get a good idea of what we normally do etc

visit www.BORDC.net for the events list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
--Ped--
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I've asked before Cool don't want to have any kind of offroading trouble. Very Happy

I was looking into your website and seen there's some different kinds of events going on, as I'm a newbie around here can you please explain what a RTV, AGM, D9, D10 and a special event is Shocked

Thanks
Pedro

gazguzzler
Mud Obsessed

2006 Land Rover 110

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Pedro, we would be glad to see you along

RTV – Road Taxed Vehicle Trial – An event which is scored by going around a course between gates – Can be quite tough, usually based around a course that a short wheelbase land rover can get around. You may get a scratch or small dent competing

AGM – Annual General Meeting – tell us what is wrong with the club!!!

D9 and D10 – Is Drumclog – see events section of difflock – very suitable for all vehicles from shineys to modded motors

Special – A tough RTV – you require a Rollcage to compete and expect to roll or get some big dents!

Phil
marcusjclifford
Gate Opener

Odometer: 40

2003 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one "near Stonehaven" I think being refered to was NorTrak, but from everything I can find out it is closed because of Aberdeenshire taking so long over the planning application, this is especially annoying for me as I can actually see the site from my house and it would be useful to have a local place!

The one "near Perth" is Glentarkie http://www.glentarkie.co.uk (it's actually on the Perth and Fife border) that site is slightly different from your Pay&Play site as you have to join the club (£150) which gives you 365 24/7 access to the site for no additional fee (this if you use it say 5 times a year actually works out cheaper so don't be put off)

One off annual events, such as Drumclog (they seem to be refered to as Dx, with this years being called D9) are gathering that are organised by individuals or clubs.

Clubs are the best way of getting local off-roading, unless you happen to know a land owner or estate manager. I personally am a member of the Scottish off road club (SORC), but most of their events are further south Edinburgh / Glasgow / Fife areas. BORDC (here) run the events more in the Aberdeenshire and surrounding areas, so if your based in that area they would be the club to join.
The good thing is club memberships are generally very cheap, and you pay for the events you go to, so one option is to join lots of clubs and then attend the events you want to. BORDC's RTVs look a bit more "intense" than SORC's ones so I've not joined yet until I am happy to drive at that level.

--Ped--
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect all these rules but it's a bit annoying though. I was used to go offroad anytime and almost anywhere with a couple of friends just for fun, not for competition but it seems there's no other option now Very Happy
So I'll be pleased to go to a BORDC's event and if I find it suitable for me I'll go for it for sure, even if not to compete, I really miss some action and a good laugh. Wink

Have fun
Pedro

garfalls
Gate Opener

Odometer: 30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what we need is somewhere like Glentarkie in Aberdeenshire..... Laughing

Anyone know of any land that could be used in Aberdeenshire ????
--Ped--
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard something about a field in New Aberdour which is or it's about to be approved for Offroading.

Anyone knows anything???

Have fun
Pedro

Marko
Gate Opener

Odometer: 31

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont be put off by the BORDC being "intense" i did my fist RTV late last year in my Pajero the club members were welcoming and i was under no pressure to attempt anything i wasn't happy with, the only pressure came from myself, i had a good day and came away amazed at what the pajero could get over and a head full of ideas on how to improve the car and myself
Very Happy
OFFROADNICK
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 67

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this land near New Aberdour is a motocross track Very Happy Smile Laughing Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
scott.l.
Gate Opener

Odometer: 4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im afraid you have been slightly mislead. Contrary to popular belief there ARE vehicle rights of way in Scotland although not very many.

I have just 'surveyed' one route.

I bring your attention to - http://www.scotways.com/

8. Are there any rights of way where I can drive a vehicle?

There are very few rights of way for motorised vehicles in Scotland. The total number is 142, and these have an average length of less than 1 mile. They are mostly short stretches of roads that have not been adopted by the local authority. Using a vehicle off-road is an offence except where disabled people use motorised wheelchairs or buggies.
gazguzzler
Mud Obsessed

2006 Land Rover 110

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been off roading here for the last twenty odd years and never heard of any green lanes excect the corrie pass.

As a committee member could I ask you (and anyone else) to cover up your BORDC sticker if you do decide to try any of these routes - legal or not.

Thanks

Phil
thinfourth
Just got MTs

Odometer: 257

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe we should have a few more events for the shinys as the forest drive went well and maybe we should consider a couple of trials for the shiny cars/novices
scott.l.
Gate Opener

Odometer: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
I have investigated the Corrie pass and I have been told it is not a right of way for vehicles. The 142 routes I refer to earlier are regarded as vehicular although some are blocked by land owners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> BORDC - Buchan Offroad Drivers Club -> BORDC General Discussion All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: