Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

brake booster afterfit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VolksMog
Gate Opener

Odometer: 18

1966 Mercedes-Benz s404.1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: brake booster afterfit Reply with quote

Hi,

my 404 failed on the two yearly check-up on the brake-lines. I have to fit new lines and was thinking about extra brake-boost. I found for 30 euros a pressured air brake booster from a merc truck from the 50/60's. A LP 408/608 or so (with OM314 engine) Its the oldie trucks with flat font, without nose. The scrapper had several trucks, the heavier ones from 708/808 upwards had two way booster, separate front/rear mastercilinder. The lighter one like i have is single cylinder like the regular 404 mastercilinder. Its the smaller build also that i think can refit at the original spot in the chassis! That old trucks have upwards foot-pedals also like the 404 and actuate the booster directly with a bar, as easy as it is. So i will fit this as soon as possible and keep things updated Smile will put pics and part-numbers up to.

Regards Ronald
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
Turnip
Just got MTs

Odometer: 192

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted the complete braking system - up to master cylinder,from a Leyland Roadrunner 7.5 ton truck. It gives you dual air circuits and dual hydraulic.
The brake pedal actuator even fits neatly into the Mog pedal box. I used the combined compressor and power steering pump from the Leyland and all the nice quick fit nylon brake lines too.
I can do some pictures if you like?

VolksMog
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Turnip,

i was put on this idea by you and you maddmax bodywork 404. I already read in that post about the leyland parts that was used. Here they are quite difficult in afterfitted hardware, so i am happy to find a merc part from the same 'age' so it will not that easily be noticed its not 'standard'. The 404 with air brake booster is originally produced so i think i will get away with it.

If you have pics i would gladly see how its done! thx

i will post up pics as soon i have them.

booster part no;

BOSCH

SV / DKC2 / 125 / 50 A1

0 483 003 005

i proberly can get the booster mounted on the original pedal'block' under the cab. I need to offset that block for 5mm sideways and some cm up to get clearance for the booster. while at it i will lift the cab on 'silent blocks' to get more space under it.

the pic shows an original booster used on the 404 (and hanomag AL28 as i was told)

rgrds Ronald

Last edited by VolksMog on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Skype Name
VolksMog
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the unit;
VolksMog
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update;

cleaned and painted the unit, fabbed the unit to the mount on the 404 pedals, raised the cab about 6 cm, made a mounting plate to get the pedals higher, welded an extra part to the clutch pedal to clear the steering column.

pic 1# The tread in the pedal unit is drilled out to fit M8 bolts tru into the booster. Had to slice a little piece out the pedal unit to fit the bolt. (lower bolt in pic) The booster is 4mm offset to the chassis-rail, so i need a little spacer for clearance.

pic 2# The whole unit coated in conservation oil, painted with rust sealing paint.

pic 3# Left the clutch-pedal with an old part from a brake-pedal welded to it. A little corner sliced out to get clearance under the steering column. Welded this with stainless steel in layers, whilst cooling used a hammer to get tension out the welds.
# Right the plate to get the offset to clear the booster from chassis, and to get the booster up to clear the chassis crosmember (the one under the bell-housing) Simply mounting the lower bolts into the upper holes, that 6cm higher.

pic 4# raised cab with these rubber blocks. Its 6 cm higher now. Needed to make some new coolant hoses and reline some piping. Nothing more. The M12 bolt behind the rubber limits the outgoing flex and secures the cab when a rubber would tear apart. The spring on the bolt prevents rattling from the bolt. This type off mount is used a lot an truck bodies. (see ****)
VolksMog
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounted the unit on the chassis. Got to do the plumbing this week.
shaggy
Articulating

Odometer: 560

1961 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404 Doka

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of kit - nicely fitted.

I take our mog for the ministry test.............as I have the stronger legs.

jim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Mercedes & Unimog All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: