Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

300Tdi Coolant Level Sensor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
van_kerr
Just got MTs

Odometer: 432

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the last comment is valid ...... Anyone willing to make and sell a few of these ?

Put me down for one ................... please.
discoverytdi
Articulating

Odometer: 782

2003 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me to please
Phil Wilson
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1370

1996 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim
I am in grave danger of getting out of my depth here....but I am going to be bold and ask the question.

I wanted to understand your circuit, so I built it in a circuit simulator (probably the cause of my question). Incredibly it A) works and B) makes sense to me (amazing - I know).

My question comes from the extra test circuit section. On my simulation I did not have an opto-isolator to play with, so I used a simple relay to prove the point of the circuit. The 680ohm resistor on the test circuit is too big to stop the relay from switching, in fact I needed to use 300ohms or less.
Is the problem because I was using a relay and not the opto-isolator, or is the problem "real"? The relay in my circuit needs 5mA to switch...presumably an opto-isolator needs around 25mA and is therefore a lot more sensitive and the 680ohm is fine to use?

Cheers mate. Wink

:)
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4337

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Wilson wrote:
Is the problem because I was using a relay and not the opto-isolator, or is the problem "real"? The relay in my circuit needs 5mA to switch...presumably an opto-isolator needs around 25mA ...

Answer ... YES, and those currents are the wrong way round.

You'll need to simulate the voltage drop across the LEDs to get the circuit to work, very simplistically each LED has about 2V across it no matter how much current flows. This is what makes the 'extra test circuit' quite neat: there are 2 LEDs in the normal current route, the green LED and the opto-isolator (+ a resistor), which means there must be at least 4V before any current will flow down that limb. Pressing the test button clamps the voltage available to drive that limb at only 2V (the forward bias voltage of the single test LED) so as well as illuminating the test LED no current flows to the opto-isolator and the alarm sounds.

If you can find me a change-over relay with a low voltage (about 5V) coil which requires only 5mA none of this would have been necessary! Even very sensitive relay coils are likely to need about 30mA and because of the resistor built into the cap switch that current is not available.

The opto-isolator is not a binary device like a relay - it doesn't switch on and off but rather progressively sinks more current on its output as the input current increases. An important parameter of opto-isolators is the 'current-transfer-ratio' and that determines how the output current varies with LED current. As I said in the original description of the circuit, the opto-isolator could be substituted for a "small-signal NPN transistor with a base current limiting and pull-down resistors", although thinking further you may also need a signal diode in series with the base for maximum reverse voltage protection.

Does this help?
--
Tim.

steve:h
Articulating

Odometer: 598

1996 Land Rover Discovery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can hear the cogs grinding in Phil's head from here! Shocked

Very Happy

Steve.

Land Rovers & Difflock - you can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave
Phil Wilson
Off-Road Guru

1996 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - I need some Evo2 in my head! Very Happy

Tim - Somehow (and I am not sure how) I am understanding all of this, with a little bit of googling for added information! Also I am finding it interesting....which is also odd for me!

Thanks as ever mate.
Wink

Disco Sev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Been following this post and can't help thinking "There must be an easier way."

So I bought one of the tank caps and had a play. Turns out that the top just 'pops' out as it is only held in place by the friction of an 'O' ring.

Then going back about ten pages simply bypass/replace resistor and you're left with a very simple circuit involving nothing more than a SPDT relay and buzzer/LED of choice.

Oh and I don't even own a TDi Laughing

Sev
Mud Obsessed

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grey top where the connectors fit is a separate piece and should come off. I tried to remove this on my switch following Don's example, but I was unsuccessful even a bit of gentle prying only left marks in the plastic (it certainly is held in with a lot more than just the friction of an 'O' ring). As I wish to use mine, I have stopped here!

We have learned that Siemens VDO make different versions of this cap switch. I'm sure there will be a version for another vehicle which will allow it to be used directly with a relay, or others may be able to modify the Range Rover one (bypassing the resistor) if it comes apart.

If you do use a reed switch to drive a relay coil remember to include some fly-back voltage protections (either a diode or resistor across the coil) so that the energy has somewhere to go. Failure to to this could damage the reed relay contacts.
--
Tim.

mr vimes
Just got MTs

Odometer: 338

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question i,d like to ask a silly question of you clever automotive electrical folk out there but could you run a couple of wires in parallel from the break fluid level sensor to the filler cap on header tank so that if you see the break fluid warning light come on you know straight away its one of two things...i.e break fluid or water level...not very elegant perhaps but a temporary get you by until you can make it more permanent...all you would need is a couple of bits of wire and some spade connectors...or have i missed something...sorry if i,m being a bit dim here but i have a blind spot when it comes to diesel engines, electrics and women....especially women Confused
Phil Wilson
Off-Road Guru

1996 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one am going to through caution to the wind, and try to make one. I have priced the leccy bits up on RS - which come to £12. The cap we have already found to be £40, and I like giving money to Beamends Spares anyway...so they can have some more.

So Tim, I solder it all together component to component, then shove it in the potting box, then pour the epoxy on it and wait for it to set? Do I need to get a power supply to test it, or could I use the cigarette socket on the wagon to power it for testing? Then I suppose it would best live behind the instrument panel so that I can hear the buzzer and see the lamp....but where should I take the power source from, and where is the best earth for it?

Fortune favours the brave and all that! Very Happy

mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3096

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right for the third time........Will I be able to post this I wonder ??

Phil.
Earth.I would use a ring terminal to which ever instrument already had an earth fitted to it. That should be all of coures Laughing

Live.Any easily got at White ,Green or Light Green wire should be live.The greens are better 'cos they're fused,or should be.

Mine will eventually live behind the instrument panel.Double sided sticky taped to the bulkhead.

What epoxy I'm wondering.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!
Phil Wilson
Off-Road Guru

1996 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I encapsulated it with a two-part epoxy potting compound.

That epoxy. Very Happy

Thanks for the reply Mike. I hate that dash, and I hate taking it apart and I hate the struggle getting it back together. Mine looks like it has taken some driver frustration in it's lifetime, and is currently held together with bluetac, glue and some penny washers. Sad

Once more in to the breach dear fellow.

Disco Sev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Question i,d like to ask a silly question of you clever automotive electrical folk out there but could you run a couple of wires in parallel from the break fluid level sensor to the filler cap on header tank so that if you see the break fluid warning light come on you know straight away its one of two things...i.e break fluid or water level...

The brake fluid sensor is NO so depending on how the resistor in the coolant cap affects things this will either a) Do nothing b) Cause the brake fluid warning light to come on permanently unless you have low coolant and correct brake fluid level - then it will go out.

Sev
mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3096

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Wilson wrote:
Quote:
I encapsulated it with a two-part epoxy potting compound.

That epoxy. Very Happy

Thanks for the reply Mike. I hate that dash, and I hate taking it apart and I hate the struggle getting it back together. Mine looks like it has taken some driver frustration in it's lifetime, and is currently held together with bluetac, glue and some penny washers. Sad

Once more in to the breach dear fellow.

Hi Jack.....Hi-jack

I know what you mean Phil.
I have a nice second hand instrument surround as a Gunner job.
A gunner job being the same as a rountuit.

It's easier with the steering wheel off, another pain job though.Me I just struggle and scratch my hands and arms.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!
SimonWH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all those (like myself) who would like to get something like this for their own vehicle but don't know one end of a soldering iron from another . . .

It only makes it viable for Tim to make them if he can make these in larger quantities rather than have the hassle of making one-offs for people so we have agreed to pay to have a batch of these made up and will add them to our store.

We'll also offer them with or without the required header tank cap. Again it's easier (and probably cheaper!) to buy the caps in large quantities rather than single items from your local LR stealer.

Watch this space!
neil_gh
Gate Opener

Odometer: 9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the high resistance of the level sensor but over came the problem but using the “lights on” alarm from a Vauxhall car. The part which looks like a relay actually has a buzzer build into so you don’t need any other parts and mounts in a standard relay housing which can be obtained from vehicle wiring products (www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk). The alarm has 3 connections, one a power feed from the lights to indicate when they are on, one which is earthed via the door to indicate when it has been opened and one which is supplied with power from the ignition to stop the alarm activating when the ignition is on. For the alarm to go off there must be power from the lights, the door must be open and the ignition off. I therefore wired it up for the level sensor by

A. supplying power from the ignition to the connection which normally has power supplied when the lights are on,
B. permanently earthing the connection which is normally connected to the door switch
C. supplying power to the connection which normally only gets power when the ignition is on via the level sensor

The alarm now has conditions 2 of the 3 conditions to set if off (A & B) but won’t go off while C is supplying power which it is getting via the level sensor. When the level drops the coolant level sensor goes open circuit and stops supplying power to the alarm making the third condition i.e. the ignition is not on.

I did fit a push switch between the level sensor and the alarm which was normally closed but goes open circuit when is was pressed to simulated low level so I could check the system without lifting the bonnet or even when I was driving along.

I fitted the alarm about 3 months ago and it was working great until my Defender was stolen last week. I did find that if you had to brake sharply the alarm would go off for a fraction of a second as the sensor is near to the rear of the expansion tank and the water must all go to the front. The alarm which cost me £2 from the local scrap yard has Vauxhall part number V0090464777 and is fitted to lots of their models. The relay housing was about a £1 and the level sensor £30. The alarm will fit to a standard relay mounting so if it ever fails it is just a pull out push change and it can be easily heard over the engine noise.

Neil.
Mud Obsessed

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another interesting solution, I suspect the buzzer has a transistorised input so needs very little current.

While testing I tried getting the cap switch to drive a piezo-electric buzzer directly - which worked fine due to the low current demand. However, I didn't pursue this line as I felt you needed an indicator lamp as well to indicate the source of the audio alarm. I have multiple inputs to my buzzer and I find it useful to know which one has triggered.
--
Tim.

dpcwright
Just got MTs

Odometer: 191

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil
Could you advise us of which connection goes where on this relay - my relay has connections marked 15,30,and 31b
Thanks
David Wright
reedx
Just got MTs

Odometer: 352

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

This may help you with the terminal designations.

http://www.reedx.net/landrover/mods/boschtermdefs/index.htm

neil_gh
Gate Opener

Odometer: 9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

The connection numbers on the relay/buzzer from memory are

31b = earth
30 = supplied with 12v when ignition is on
15 = supplied with 12v from the level sensor (other connection on level sensor is supplied with 12v when the ignition is on)

Neil.
dpcwright
Just got MTs

Odometer: 191

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
Thank you both very much for your help - and it works! All for the princely sum of Two Pounds.
There lots of electronics in this little box but I can not see a number on the chip.
David Wright
Tim.
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3349

1997 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit available yet? Needs to have very good instructions as i have a severe phobia of electrics....

Member #3846
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger eBay Name
SimonWH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, Tim has sent us an example of the Coolant Level interface (thanks to Royal mail for delaying it's arrival for a few annoying days!)

First impressions are that I am very impressed!. It's is very well made and the accompanying instructions and wiring diagram are very well written and simple enough for technophobes to understand (if you can wire a plug you'll be able to fit this!!)

As with everything we sell in the store we need to check it out ourselves and we'll hopefully be ordering the first batch very soon. We'll also get in a supply of the Range Rover caps.

Obviously we'll let you know when they're all ready to ship

Cheers

Simon
naughty lee
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 97

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having had a very lucky escape after spotting a leak and discoverying the dreaded P gasket had failed before losing any great deal of coolant i have often pondered of ways of some kind of early warning system.
I was thinking along a more simpler line involving a modified fuel tank sender unit and a bulb/buzzer
there is no taking away the fact that the work done on here is great and well done for it.
Its whether or not the average joe soap can knock one up and more importantly wire it up, if a bulb comes on whilst off road or driving harshly thats to be expected, however if you are trundling along gently at 50 and it comes on, its warning enough for you to pull over and take a quick peek under the bonnet to see if there is a large repair bill in the making!

2001 Honda VTR100SP1
http://www.teessidebikers.co.uk
Tim.
Mud Obsessed

1997 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question... How does it know when water is lost... eg during driving. Is it a sudden drop in pressure? As pressure will change as temperature. Landies dont usually dump their coolant while parked do they?
its propbably in the plethera of text but a short and sweet answer would be good!

Member #3846
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger eBay Name
Phil Wilson
Off-Road Guru

1996 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are asking about the RRC header cap, it is a floating switch. When the coolant level drops, the float drops with it and magnetically flips a switch.

HTH

Tim.
Mud Obsessed

1997 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its the RRC cap that is going on ours then all will be well.
Anyone got a pic of this magic cap?
And what interface will the warning be? A light, buzzer or what? I am quite experienced in whipping my instrument binaccle out no problem...

Full o questions today eh!

Member #3846
Mud Obsessed

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a picture of the switch on page 1 of the thread. You can just make out the black ring magnet embedded in the white plastic float. The reed switch is inside the black core and operates when the magnet is in close proximity. When the float falls away the contacts open, which is fail safe as the alarm would also sound if there is a bad connection to the cap switch.

Copy of picture on previous page:

--
Tim.

Mud Obsessed

1995 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim. wrote:
And what interface will the warning be? A light, buzzer or what? ...

What ever you like, I used a standard instrument warning lamp and a buzzer, but the buzzer is switched, so you can turn it off in case of false alarm.

Tim, me thinks you may not have read from the beginning of this thread? Can't really blame you 'cos it is soooooo long. The circuit diagram of the interface module is on page 1 too, in case you are interested.
--
Tim.

Tim.
Mud Obsessed

1997 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the buzzer/light be in the kit? There will be a kit wont there lol!
Will have a more thorough read of the thread when i am less tired. I'm just looking for easy answers lol! Cheers Tim

EDIT after reading thread...

Has the depth of coolant issue been resolved yet?

Member #3846
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Land Rover All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: