Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

The VITARA compendium - all you need, or thought you need...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: The VITARA compendium - all you need, or thought you need... Reply with quote

First let me say there are many more people who are much more experienced than me, and i am sure they will come around and post something else which i will add to the mix. Also people spend thousands of pounds making their vitara higher, and wider.. stronger and better offroad, and fail completely to consider safety

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjQjytcOR8o watch this video.. then go and buy a roll bar or cage BEFORE you carry on reading this little snippet of information

there are various ways to improve your vitara, and if you want you could spend thousands and thousands turning it into an offroad beast. However there are also some cheap and cost effective ways you can make it better.

Shops and places to buy first - this list is by no means exhaustive or exclusive and is of my own personal opinion
www.bits4vits.co.uk
www.jimnybits.co.uk
www.llama4x4.co.uk
www.4x4tyres.co.uk
www.camskill.co.uk
www.rhinorays.co.uk
www.mountaingoatperformance.eu

Other how to's in these forums containing useful information - if you have one put it in a reply here and i will update the link

Rear bumber replacement info
Brief Pug XU9D conversion and live front axle conversion for a vitara (thanks redrooster, some GORGEOUS welding here

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.

Last edited by Toseland on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Weaknesses Reply with quote

Aside from the engines there are a few specifications that are important thankyou to rhinoman for these (this is for the G16A engine variant but the rest holds true for most vitara's)

http://www.rhinoman.org/SuzukiStuff/info/tech/vitara_tech.html

also in polish showing the torque and KW figures for each engine (petrol)
http://www.rhinoman.org/Tech/Vitara/G16A_torque.jpg

http://www.rhinoman.org/Tech/Vitara/G16B_torque.jpg

there are also a few weaknesses which i will detail first:

front drive shafts The Vitara has Independant front suspension as you may have seen (small drive shafts left and right, like most road cars, and unlike the SJ and Jimnys, and various other offroaders) This was done first and foremost to improve road handling and it does beleive me. However it presents the problem of extremely weak CV joints on the newer vitaras.

the 26 spline variants have larger CV cans, which exasperate the problem. These problems are made a lot worse if you have a suspension lift due to the steep angle of the drive shaft in all cases

The next major weakness associated with this is the alloy differential housing. The torque of the engine (especially in low ratio) in some cases has the ability to turn the pinion gear out of the top of the box, effectively snapping the top of the casing off above the pinion gear. there are some Steel cases available from some of the suzuki's and these pop up on here and on ebay occasionally.. they are becoming rarer so hence more expensive). Careful driving can somewhat alleviate this as well as the snapping of shafts.

the third issue is a notchy gearchange, usually caused by the wearing of the small plastic end of the gear lever, however sometimes caused by worn clutch, or bearings and/or even a problem with the syncromesh.

The fourth issue is the absolutely shocking bushes that suzuki seemed to like to use for the suspension components again an easy correction.

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.

Last edited by Toseland on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: The Tyres and your vitara. Reply with quote

the biggest upgrade you can do to your vitara
Tyres: a good set of tyres is like night and day.. you can spend thousands on lifts, suspension, locking differentials, etc etc, and with ATs you will get stuck more than the standard one with Mud terrains.

Wheel spacers next: Grayston do some 32mm wheel spacers available from most of the shops listed above. these will add over 2inches to your track width, tighten your turning circle and make your car more stable overall, i wouldnt go above this as it puts unnecessary pressure on your wheel bearings.

also....
with larger tyres come the consideration of larger wheels.

the PCD for the vitara wheels is the same throughout the SJ, all vitara, and X90s, and diahatsu fourtrak and sporttrak's (139.7x5, with a center hole requirement of 108mm, especially if you have locking hubs on the front).

the newer grand vitaras have 16inch alloys and steels available should you wish

the default steel rims from the SJ and vitara's are 5.5inches wide, the older vitara alloys are 5.5inches wide, with the newer scalloped ones (off of the 4u and JX variants) are 6inches wide (thanks slimjim16v for this), and the fatboy variants come in at 8 inches wide.

there are bespoke alloys available wider, as well as Diahatsu rims up to 10inches wide.

it is important to note however.. That anything much above standard will require a significant lift, and/or a significant amount of cutting of wheel arches to avoid rubbing.. Hence most people fit 31inch tyres (31/9.5/R15) after a body and suspension lift has been completed.

it should also be noted that with an increase in tyre size comes 2 things:
Significant increase in strain on the drivetrain, from wheels up due to a change in the gearing by the larger wheels, this also affects speed, top end and the ability to get there. Without changing the gearing you will find yourself struggling up hills in most foward gears and motorway driving will be limited to 4th at most.

To get around this, thankyou suzuki, you can in most cases fit lower geared differentials.. there are various different variations to this but the most common is 5.125:1 found in the pre "4u" SWB 1.6 manuals. if you have a 4u you will likely have a 4.88:1 ratio, meaning the change in ratio nicely accomodates a set of 32" tyres.

Vehicle :: Engine Valves, Fuel system :: Diff:ratio :: Final:drive ratio
Suzuki Vitara :: 1.6 8v. carb. :: 5.125:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00
Suzuki Vitara :: 1.6 16v. inj. :: 5.125:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00
Suzuki Vitara :: 1.6 8v. inj. :: 4.875:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00 (4u and 4u2)
Suzuki Vitara :: 1.8 inj. (*) :: 5.125:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00
Suzuki Vitara :: 2.0 V6 24v :: 4.625:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00
Suzuki Vitara :: 2.0 12v :: 4.875:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00
Suzuki Vitara :: 1.9 D 68 cv :: 5.125:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00
Suzuki Vitara :: 1.9 TD 75 cv :: 4.875:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00
Suzuki Vitara :: 1.9 TDi 90 cv :: 4.30:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00
Suzuki Vitara :: 2.0 TDi 87 cv Mazda:: 4.30:1 -
Suzuki Vitara :: 1.9 HDI 90 cv :: 4.30:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00
Suzuki Vitara :: 2.0 HDI 87 cv :: 4.30:1 :: 1.816 / 1.00

(thanks vitara nick)

there are other bespoke ratio's available but these begin to get quite expensive.

on occasion you may want to go the otehr way as well, for example if you fit a diesel engine, in which case 4.3:1 and 4.6:1 are available from some suzuki models.

Last edited by Toseland on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 7 times in total
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Lifting your vitara Reply with quote

to lift the body.. this is the quickest to "fit" once you have the parts but presents a few issues with respect to the gear levers and positions.. and obviously doensst change ground clearance at all, but allows you to fit marginalyl larger tyres.

body will need to be raised obviously by way of spacers.. few ways of doing this.

Cheap, 1/2/3inch box section, drill appropriately sized holes in,
unbolt body, lift, place bolt through, do nut inside box, bolt lower to chassis mount. (the bolts are captive in the bodywork so you could extend bolts but it requires cutting and welding of the body).. some guides around about doing this.

http://www.nitromax.nl/SAMBODYLIFT.HTM yes yes i KNOW it is a samurai, but the principle is the same.

Good poly kit from somewhere like Bits4vits or jimnybits. (DO NOT GET EBAY ONES) the B4V.jimnybits ones contain sleve bolts, meaning you slide the spacers over, and bolt the sleve bolt through the chassis mount onto the existing bolts, no cutting, drilling, rubbish required

for the larger body lifts (you may get away with it for the smaller ones) you will need to extend the gear levers you can unbolt, cut the straight part (before it bends back into the cab) and weld a peice in taking care NOT to melt the plastic on the end of the gear levers, and possibly reposition the brake master cylinder, and also *sometimes* you will need to extend the steering shaft (kits available from the 2 shops above).

Suspension lift: Bolt on, no cutting or sticking or pasting.. but requires time, and patience to do the front (back is easy)

2inch and below..
simply fit 1.5inch strut spacers front and back, and some SWB GV springs (from the slightly newer version of the vitara than yours). this will acheive a nice 1.5inch lift on the suspension without hassle..
i would recommend a differential drop bracket for this too... but not absolutely necessary

2inch and above (max is about 3ish). you will need.
2.25inch strut spacers front and back or on the front and mk2 astra saloon (belmont ones will do) shocks for the rear.
3inch lift springs (i would reccomend the jimnybits ones as i have heard good things). - OR -SWB GV springs and 1.5inch poly spring spacers
Differential drop brackets (available from both Bits4vits and jimnybits.. better still if you can get the calmini ones as they are the longest)
drive shaft spacers for the rear
Heim joint spacer
may require a longer rear brake line as it will go taught upon full downward articulation (dave @ llama4x4)
extended rear bump stops if using astra rear shocks.
a HEALTHY supply of front drive shafts, as you WILL snap shafts with a lift this high even with a drop bracket for the diff.

i have a full set of braided steel hoses from Llama4x4 and i must say i am extremely happy.

with respect to the GV springs make sure they are SWB, the LWB ones are much harder and will make the ride harsh offroad and onroad.

Last edited by Toseland on Sat May 12, 2012 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Misc upgrades Reply with quote

Well, this section deals witha few miscillaneous upgrades you may wish to do for your vitara:

Front winch bumper: There are loads for sale out there, some nice ones on ebay for under £200, i had a bespoke one made by a local welder

underbody armour: If you could see the state of my transfer box guard/mount then this would be your second purchase after tyres. front differential guards and underbody guards are an essential purchase if you want to be doing anything serious offroad. which i assume if you are reading this far down you will be doing.. Again ebay, or speak to a local Welding/machine shop about fitting one.

Fuel tank relocation: Obvious choice is to get a marine tank or similar and mount it inside the body of the vehicle.
Another common conversion is once you have completed a 3inch body lift, to move the mounts from under the chassis, and relocate them over the chassis. raising the tank up 3inches and it will be sitting flush with the chassis rails at this point.

Pickup conversion, and trayback conversions: Loads have been done, loads of information about how on this forum alone.. click here for more information.

Stubby shaft conversion and hagen widening mod: looking at your vitara, it has a nice easy to change flange on the passanger side (when in the UK. Someone extremely sensible decided that the drivers side should be the same, and has come up with the stubby shaft conversion. This essentially takes, and shortes a passanger side drive shaft and means you can use the passanger side halfshaft on the drivers side.. this aids trail changes if you do snap a halfshaft or destroy a CV or 2.

Polybush kit: an absolute must for improving both onroad, and offroad handling. makes such a huge difference to the feel of both you will be pleasantly suprised

Toseland
Mud Obsessed

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine modification:

Well, as with any car the engine modifications are only practically limited by what you have in your pocket cash wise at the time. BUT thankfully there are a few common conversions, some with kits, to help you on your way

some SWB vitara variants are:
earlier models came in both 1.6 - 8 valve, and 1.6 -valve, producing 75 and 95 bhp approx respectively. These were pretty much the bread and butter in the UK, although there are a FEW (and i mean rare) 2.0ltr petrol 4cylinder (120bhp), and 2.0ltr V6 (136bhp but gutless torque and more common in the LWB) models around, as well as a few standard 2.0ltr diesels (88bhp), with the 2.0ltr mazda engine normally found in the LWB.

the short wheelbase commercial van and an EXTREMELY limited number of passanger variants came with a 1.9ltr peugeot diesel, (if you hear someone talking about the commercial bellhousing that is whta it is from)

these came in a variety of different injection formats, from carbs, to single point injection to multipoint injection (on the 16v)

the later models (Jx, Jx4u and 4u2) have a 1.6-8v injection 4cylinder putting out 79 bhp (which is quite respectable considering the gearing of the car accepts this relatively low power well)

1.6 8v to 1.6 16v - a common swap, relatively simple in terms of bolting it in, more difficult if converting to an SPI to an MPI but can be done relatively easily.

Diesel into vitara... - Both require a reasonable amount of spannering and welding depending on what you decide to do
Possibly the most effective use of power for both offroad torque and on road economy you can get.. these come in 2 variants

1. Find yourself a commercial bellhousing, and gearbox if you can (although not needed), and then go and buy yourself a peugeot 1.9td XU9D engine (or similar) and drop it in, you will need a limited amount of wiring, changing of the diameter of the fuel lines, (and remove the nozzle restrictor from the tank neck so you can actually get the nozzle in) and the ability to fabricate mounts for the engine.

{i will try to find a link, not writing out the full conversion lol - if anyone else has one PM me i will stick it up}

RhinoRay (of this forum) offers a complete conversion including engine - you take it to him with cash.. he gives you back a diesel vitara.

2. VW AAZ and/or TDI engines.. Search for munkee, and/or mud and diesel on here to get 2 godlike fonts of knowledge about this..

you need:
acme adaptor kit (http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php or an engineering workshop) 1.9tdi or 1.9 TD AAZ engine from a VW (SPAM, passat, etc) and/or a 1.6td from a smaller VW

url=http://www.shropshire-suzuki.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12436&hilit=munkees+new+engine]Munkee's VW conversion guide with pictures.[/url]

Other common engine conversions are:
1.7 vauxhall TD engine, you will need a carlton gearbox for this
1.5 td from a pugeot.
and i have seen a few 1.8TDs from ford mondeo's and some focuses (older ones). [/b]

Last edited by Toseland on Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything else i forgot will go here.... could a mod sticky?

GVstu
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2314

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I think I fancy a vitara!
lil rich
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 88

1994 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome mate thats gonna help me out sooo much!!!! Applause Applause Applause Dancing
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys... and come on Stu, come over to the LIGHT (weight) side lol

stuckinmuck
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 86

1994 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about some of the gurus doing a similar thing for the sj series? My sammy is spoa'd and pickup'd and is my fourth one, but I am by no means an expert and there are always new people dicovering the joys of these little beasts. If made a sticky too, it would prevent or at least reduce the amount of repeated newbie questions, often leading to the "use the search you t**t" type responses. Anyway.....what lift do I need for 31s? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Toseland
Mud Obsessed

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not the foremost authority these, so i ask IF anyone has any links to guides, information etc about vits.. or something that would be useful to include in this "guide" please please please message me with it, or post it in here, i will update the list of information..

Big CV
Gate Opener

Odometer: 15

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Toseland, that's a hell of a lot of useful info. Invaluable to a Vitara Greenhorn like me and I suspect many others. So many questions answered I suspect it will be a constant source of reference. Very Happy Very Happy
rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3277

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Dyno charts Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find these in English so these are scans from a couple of Polish Suzuki brochures. Contrary to what some people may claim it is the 16V that has more torque and it holds it all the way through the rev range:

http://www.rhinoman.org/Tech/Vitara/G16A_torque.jpg

http://www.rhinoman.org/Tech/Vitara/G16B_torque.jpg

2000 Vitara 4u2, 3+3 lift, 33s, winch, safari rack, steel front axle and 5:83 R&Ps, LWB brakes
1986 SJ413K Pickup, 1.6 conversion
2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G16B into Samurai wiring write up from auszookers:

http://www.auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34036

2000 Vitara 4u2, 3+3 lift, 33s, winch, safari rack, steel front axle and 5:83 R&Ps, LWB brakes
2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
jeepmadmike
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 4573

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vitara in the vid was being driven by a guy who is a complete loon and has no sense for his or others safety btw

Now i have gone and bought a D4!

one day i might buy a 86" series one like my dad had when i was a boy.
rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Service Manuals Reply with quote

I am about to start uploading the rest of the 28 Factory Service Manuals that cover the Vitara range here:

http://www.rhinoman.org

Meanwhile if anyone needs any info drop me a PM and I'll get the relevant manual up asap.

2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
Atersixless
Gate Opener

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly what I thought
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffs, here we go again.

Member of TEAM CHAOS
Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know.

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
jeremy
Just got MTs

Odometer: 467

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do i smell a pork product?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Cool

Member of TEAM CHAOS
Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke the rules - deleted and banned.

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: