Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Terrano 2.7TDi Will Not Start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Nissan, Mitsubishi, Isuzu (inc Vauxhall) & Daihatsu
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skousa
Gate Opener

Odometer: 12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Terrano 2.7TDi Will Not Start Reply with quote

Went out to it the other morning & battery had gone down so took it off & charged it for half hour put it back on & away she went. Done all what i needed to do, came home parked up & locked her. Came out next morning & she has not ran since??? Turns over fine, loads of fuel getting to pump but does not seem to get to injectors... Took the stop/start solenoid out, tested it & it was fine, even tried it without the plunger but nothing. I have not added or installed anything, nothing has changed & she has always been very well looked after. Please help
scut44

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you need to replace the battery before the winter or at least keep an eye on it.
Had it sat long that you had a flat battery, or something just left on?

Is this a manual or automatic with an inhibitor?
Is it an imobiliser problem possibly with your key/fob or similar?
Does it just need a good battery to get it going?

george

Skousa
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just overnight, didnt find anything left on & not been able to test any further as it wont run but... it does run on easy start though. The car is manual box, called local nissan the other day & they didnt seem to have a clue, just wanted to sell me lots of parts lol. I havee got the w/shop manual & ran through the tests for immob & all seems fine. The battery thats on it is ok, it has no problem spinning it over & its never let me down before its just strange how it was flat that morning, maybe when i took it off to charge it i have done something... cant think what that would be though as its not like i have never taken a battery of a car for charge before. The other thing i have noticed is there is no power to the stop/start solenoid wire either ignition on or off but i do have continuity...
muddymesser
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 7819

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this is a bit of a bodge but it may help

try putting a wire with an on/off switch from the battery to the solenoid

that way you can garentee your getting power to it and it should then get fuel to it and hopfully start

Sign It Now
stickers and graphics made to order
Skousa
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi muddymesser, already tried that mate... thanks for trying though, any more suggestions, willing to try anything now as opposed to getting a diagnostic guy out which right now i really cannot afford:(
Skousa
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Terrano 2.7TDi Will Not Start..... UPDATE Reply with quote

Managed to do a read on data plug using paperclip & here is what it says:
93 Ignition switch/ECM voltage supply - circuit malfunction

xkalibre
Gate Opener

Odometer: 24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Terrano 2.7TDi Will Not Start..... UPDATE Reply with quote

Skousa wrote:
Managed to do a read on data plug using paperclip & here is what it says:
93 Ignition switch/ECM voltage supply - circuit malfunction

ignition switches have been known to pack up - try turning the key very slowly and see if it will start

has happened to a couple of guys on nissan 4x4 forum and they have replaced the ignition switch with one from a scrapper iirc
ivorbiggin
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2485

1996 Ford Maverick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked the code up in the Auto data diag codes book.
Code 93, fault location, IGN switch/ ECM voltage supply- circuit malfunction ,
Possible cause, wiring short circuit.
Note it dosnt say open circuit as in a wire left off or ign switch not making its contacts, but a short circuit, so check to see if youve connected something **** about face, or perhaps theres a wire shorting across, which might just have possibily caused the battery to drain in the first place.
Feeding direct power to the stop solenoid wont work as it has a semi electronic pump, the ECU needs to power up the whole pump before it will fire up.
Ivor

mad001
Gate Opener

Odometer: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: nissan terrano starting problems Reply with quote

ivorbiggin wrote:
I have looked the code up in the Auto data diag codes book.
Code 93, fault location, IGN switch/ ECM voltage supply- circuit malfunction ,
Possible cause, wiring short circuit.
Note it dosnt say open circuit as in a wire left off or ign switch not making its contacts, but a short circuit, so check to see if youve connected something **** about face, or perhaps theres a wire shorting across, which might just have possibily caused the battery to drain in the first place.
Feeding direct power to the stop solenoid wont work as it has a semi electronic pump, the ECU needs to power up the whole pump before it will fire up.
Ivor
can you check that the imobliser is turning on and off also check battery in fob may be a simple thing as that
Skousa
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh immobilizer works ok...
Skousa
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Terrano 2.7TDi Will Not Start Reply with quote

The immobilizer works ok on key fob, put key in ignition & led goes out but still not starting...
ivorbiggin
Mud Obsessed

1996 Ford Maverick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The immobiliser system is not contolled by the key fob. The key fob only operates the central locking system.
The IGN key has a coded chip inside which controls the immobiliser. if the red led goes out when the key is inserted into the ign all is well with the immobilser system.

Skousa, did you check the crank angle sensor resistance?

Skousa
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Got no means of being able to test it buddy, but i have got a new sensor on way (only been waiting 4 days for it) hopefully it will turn up today...
Do you think that could be the problem???
And thank you for your reply

ivorbiggin
Mud Obsessed

1996 Ford Maverick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skousa wrote:
Hi
Got no means of being able to test it buddy, but i have got a new sensor on way (only been waiting 4 days for it) hopefully it will turn up today...
Do you think that could be the problem???
And thank you for your reply

Yes it is a possibility, they are known for crank sensors playing up, though the fault code puzzles me. Stuffed crank sensor usually comes up as 47, might be that is gone short circuit instead of open circuit and thrown up code 93
Ill keep my fingers crossed for you

hoopster
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Nissan Terrano 2.7 won't start Reply with quote

Been reading problem with your Terrano, have had similar thing with mine. Battery goes flat regularly and have to keep it fully charged (especially when cold weather). When charged starts fine. But if when flat I turn it over 1/2 times then jump it, it starts fine but if I turn it over for more than 3/4 times then say jump it or charged it will turn over quickly but will not start. (its almost like immobiliser kicks in?) Have tried checking fuel pump and following info in manual re NATS2 system etc but no joy. I leave it a day and come back and its starts like nothings happened.

Have you had similar problem or can anyone give me suggestions.[/quote]

xkalibre
Gate Opener

Odometer: 24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan Terrano 2.7 won't start Reply with quote

hoopster wrote:
Been reading problem with your Terrano, have had similar thing with mine. Battery goes flat regularly and have to keep it fully charged (especially when cold weather). When charged starts fine. But if when flat I turn it over 1/2 times then jump it, it starts fine but if I turn it over for more than 3/4 times then say jump it or charged it will turn over quickly but will not start. (its almost like immobiliser kicks in?) Have tried checking fuel pump and following info in manual re NATS2 system etc but no joy. I leave it a day and come back and its starts like nothings happened.

if battery goes flat regularly, have you checked alternator is working - you'll need a multimeter dead easy to do

also check the condition of the battery terminals they have been known to crack over time which can cause problems

start with the easy stuff first, it's usually something simple on these trucks
ivorbiggin
Mud Obsessed

1996 Ford Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Xkalibre says, plus check the earth points and earth leads.
Over what period does the battery go flat? How old is the battery? if you disconnect it, will it still go flat?

hoopster
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: terrano Reply with quote

Thanks for replies. Did know battery was on its way out and have now got new battery, put this on tonight, guess what terrano wont start. have checked various things & immobiliser is arming and disarming. previously when this has happened, tried various things like leaving key in ign & disconnecting battery etc not worked but gone out next day and starts fine! but dont know what causes it. Any ideas???
flyingfinn
Gate Opener

Odometer: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you do that paper clip test for fault codes? How does it happen?
flyingfinn
Gate Opener

Odometer: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got that error code out of this, it said that its a failure in crankshaft sensor.
migimoo
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: similar problem Reply with quote

I've a similar problem,have a 1999 nissan terrano with starting problems-can go days with no trouble starting then when i turn the key(after waiting for coil light to go out) the whole car dies...all electrics go off,clock,lights,locks,leds-If i get out and wiggle battery leads everything comes back on again but can take 5 or 6 gos to get car running,thought i obviously have a corroded/kinked wire somewhere as battery is brand new.
Today it's started something different-after the usual 2-3 wiggles of battery leads the power is staying on,engine is turning over but there is no ignition just "erererererererererer" help!!
migimoo
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: similar problem Reply with quote

migimoo wrote:
I've a similar problem,have a 1999 nissan terrano with starting problems-can go days with no trouble starting then when i turn the key(after waiting for coil light to go out) the whole car dies...all electrics go off,clock,lights,locks,leds-If i get out and wiggle battery leads everything comes back on again but can take 5 or 6 gos to get car running,thought i obviously have a corroded/kinked wire somewhere as battery is brand new.
Today it's started something different-after the usual 2-3 wiggles of battery leads the power is staying on,engine is turning over but there is no ignition just "erererererererererer" help!!

My bro in law seems to think that the fuel isn't 'getting up to the top' somehow,any idea wot the fix for this would be,the car's only worth a grand at most so don't relish spending hundreds on it!
ivorbiggin
Mud Obsessed

1996 Ford Maverick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pump is semi electronic, it relys on info from the ecu to allow the fuel to go to the injectors, the ecu also relys on info from the pump.
Long and the short of it is to check the engine earths, especially the ones on the inlet manifold, also check out the crank sensor, it wont fire if thats playing up

fumes
Gate Opener

Odometer: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms as Skousa and Hoopster above.
Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

The only thing I have to add to the symptoms they have described above it there seems to be a parasitic drain on the battery of 200-300ma that runs it flat after about a week without use. Then the car won't start again even after charging/replacing the battery. Eventually after a number of days coming back to the car, messing around and testing various things, or sometimes even just leaving it and touching absolutely nothing at all, I'll come back to the car turn the key and it will magically start first go. Then it's fine again until I leave the car too long and the battery runs to flat again. Then I have to deal with the issue all over again! It's driving me crazy!
ivorbiggin
Mud Obsessed

1996 Ford Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 200 to 300 MA drain seems excessive, bearing in mind the NATS and Digi clock will make a drain on the battery but i dont know off hand just how much.
Bad earths and stuck relays tend to cause parasitic drains, although later vehicles with lots of onboard ECU,s will draw up to 300MA with the key off and flatten a 95AH battery in 7 days, as many BMW owners have found after they come back from their holl's.

Food for thought
If the starters a bit iffy, as in the field winding insulation is breaking down or the com is dirty and pitted it will draw more current. If the starter is overdrawing current the battery might not have sufficient to supply the ECU as well. If the ECU dosnt get power the engine will spin over but not start
A dodgy engine/battery earth or ECU earth will also give the same problem.
Ok so you walk away and leave it then come back a few days later and it fires up?
Atmosheric conditions affecting the earths or the starter com or field windings, I.E ambient air temp, humidity atmospheric pressure,
Then it might just be the gremlins got bored an ******** off for a bit

Terrano Terry
Just got MTs

Odometer: 117

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its an old post, my car has started doing all the above problems, found if i take the key out then put it back in a few times it will eventually start, it seems like an immobilizer problem but not sure
Terrano Terry
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrano Terry wrote:
I know its an old post, my car has started doing all the above problems, found if i take the key out then put it back in a few times it will eventually start, it seems like an immobilizer problem but not sure

It was an immobilizer problem 'E6 NATS Malfunction' plus another hidden fault that caused it to die (electrically) whilst doing 60+mph.

Got rid and got a Pajero, need to change my user name now
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrano Terry wrote:
Terrano Terry wrote:

It was an immobilizer problem 'E6 NATS Malfunction' plus another hidden fault that caused it to die (electrically) whilst doing 60+mph.

Got rid and got a Pajero, need to change my user name now

What? to Sensible Terry Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing
Terrano Terry
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just need to find some Pajero answers now lol
porturano
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had similar problem.Terrano2 2.7tdi 1998. Left small cockpit light on and battery was dead-ish next morning. Charged for an hour, nothing...battery was new (one year, 20.000km) and motor would turn but not start.
after reading here, (years after the previous post here, but hey, these terranos are tough)charged battery for twelve hours and waited till early morning.when it was cool, cause we were having a heatwave here in Portugal. (Was pretty sure it was an immobilizer problem).Battery full, but still would not start.

Then on a hunch, opened and closed car with fob a couple of times whilst sitting in the car. Switched headlights on , opened the door, to see if lights alarm worked.(had that switch replaced a few weeks earlier). Switched lights off while alarm was going beep beep...The sound stopped. Closed the door again (not with fob, just slammed it close. )Turned the key and TADAAAA!!!, it sprang on immediately. What a relief...I am not a mec, and had not yet tried the other tips here, wouldnt know where to find these parts on the engine anyway.
Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Nissan, Mitsubishi, Isuzu (inc Vauxhall) & Daihatsu All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: