Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

The medical industry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lambert
Articulating

Odometer: 751

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: The medical industry Reply with quote

I refuse to dignify them with the word profession as that implies that they know what they are talking about rather than evidently winging it. Anyway.

So for the last few years I have been having some kind of unidentifiable skin irritation and am now on the 4th different examiner. Now suddenly and not withstanding that I have been here before this one has decided that because I am big and fairly heavy I must have diabetes and obesity and therefore my skin condition is likely associated so I am to have another set of blood tests to determine if I am SPAM and diabetic. I wasn't last time I was tested and I am now lighter and fitter than I was then. Why is it so hard for these people to understand that being a livestock farmer is a very high intensity form of high strength exercise which builds SPAM not SPAM. If like them I sat on my backside all day doing nothing more than hitting the keys on a computer then yes, weighing over 125kg would be pretty fatal but doing what I do all day and weighing 75kg like they want would be impossible. I'm 6ft tall and 26 inches across the shoulders, if I weighed 80kg I would be like an anorexic. Grrrrr.

Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lambert
Articulating

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I am concerned that I am doing enough with my diet to avoid diabetes and in that regard the blood tests will be a welcome pointer to make changes as necessary. But I just find it irritating that there's such a prejudicial attitude towards bigger than average people from what one has to assume are well educated and fairly intelligent , enough to pass medical school, people.
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the exam is learning the drug bible by heart - I honestly believe that the medical industry (as you put it) is driven by pharmaceutical companies wanting to make their fortune...

Statins - the worst drug ever, side effects are horrendous - guess how I know - I came off them to stop my legs muscles aching, my blood suger levels dropped as a result, I started sleeping throughout the night and at least one other medical problem disappeared after stopping them
And now they say that they don't have any proof that they extend life Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apply common sense to whatever I'm told and decide if I think it's realistic or not. It drives my wife crazy as she's a nurse and thinks everything can and should be solved with treatment.

I also avoid any form of medical health care and medicine as much as possible as I find it's a slippery slope. We'll try this, oh look that's caused that, well we will give you that to counteract, oh now you have something else, well lets give you...

All of my pens, paper pads, drinks coasters etc etc are all sponsored by drugs companies from when the reps come to the wards where my wife works. If they give the nurses all those freebies what do they give the people who sign the contracts?

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i grew up in and around doctors surgeries and my mum and sisters were doctors receptionists. this was back in the day when the receptionists worked alongside the doctor. so i had an insight into the drugs reps. i was the only kid in school with a full set of pens, pencils, calendars, paperweights and every other bit of stationary you could think of.

all with the names of the "in" drugs at the time....

they always drove JAAAGS too the reps. loaded they were.

forward 40 0dd years.

i care for my 87 year old mum. when i took over looking for her, she was on 17 tablets per day.

after a while she developed a Parkinson like tremor in her hands. i took her off to doc who answered in the most offhand way, oh yeah. looks like parkinsons to me.

ok, says i, what are we going to do about it.

oh nothing, shes 87 was the reply. i pointed out that i had waited 3 weeks to see him and was that it?

it was then that he told me we was lucky to get to see him at all as he was a very busy important man...

when the security decided he was going to need his mate from downstairs and the bloke from the pharmacy as well, i marched her out and straight into another surgery down the road.

blood tests done immediately and three days later hauled back in for results.

we were assigned two young doctors (i guess word had spread) and they were amazing. turns out mums kidney function had failed as a direct result of all the tablets prescribed by the other arsehole, causing a severe neurological tremor. they slashed her medication to 5 tablets per day, i manage her diabetes by diet and within three weeks the tremor dissapeared. 8 months down the line, her kidney function has gone from 17 points (20 is kidney failure) up to 41 points.

i am now involved in all her medical decisions including whether to prescribe new tablets. she had shingles over new year and one of the docs went to prescribe her a pain killer. i asked if it was one that inhibited kidney function. after a blank look and a bit of googling, the doc looked at me and prescribed something else.

question your doctors.

they are human too...

Member of TEAM CHAOS
lambert
Articulating

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true about the freebies, my wife is a receptionist and prescription clerk and even we have any amount of branded pens etc. Its the same with their insistence on reference to their offices as a practice why are they still only practicing, why after years at school are they not proficient? (Sarcasm )
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my daughter was picked to attend here.

her aim is to become a pathologist.

have a look at the sponsors of the school, this should give an idea of the money involved....

https://lifesciencesutc.co.uk/sponsors-partners/

Member of TEAM CHAOS
Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ good for her Ged ^^^

It's always been more than just knowing the BNF - British National Formulary - most folk don't get that.

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have a doctor that everyone locally knew as Scarface because he has 3 long scars down either side of his face like cats whiskers.

My wife once went with breathing problems and without examining her he told her it was because she was thinking about it, she should stop thinking about it. She put up with it for a couple more days then went back and saw a different doctor, they admitted her immediately to hospital and told her she wasn't allowed to drive there as there was a risk of her passing out.

A friend went to see him and as he was describing the symptoms and he sighed heavily, turned his computer screen and said "do you see all these people, these are the people I have to see today". He refused to move until the doctor examined him so they sat in silence for a while then he called a nurse in to take him away and examine him.

I think the NHS have been that desperate for staff over the last 20 years years they will literally take anyone. The local trust have attended jobs fairs all over Europe, any nurse who comes gets £6k to help resettle. They even gave one nurse an extra £600 pay for her to import her cat.

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightbar wrote:
^^^ good for her Ged ^^^

It's always been more than just knowing the BNF - British National Formulary - most folk don't get that.

i grew up reading mims....

Member of TEAM CHAOS
Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does she know!!!!! Cool

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that made i larf Laughing Laughing Laughing

Member of TEAM CHAOS
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 10758

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

According to Google, you cannot take action for Medical Malpractice)
or whatever) after three years have elapsed after the event (or three years after your have gained your "Majority", which is age 18 in UK)

How did that get written into the statute book?

My son died. I decided to let a respectable time to elapse before taking any action. Wrong, wasn't I?

jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that your son died. My son died too, so we may be in a similar situation. I don't agree with some of the views expressed on this thread.

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Soap Box All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: