Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Wind up snap sound....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lel
Gate Opener

Odometer: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Wind up snap sound.... Reply with quote

So, was moving forward and back on concrete with diff lock on just a few feet to make sure it engaged for a garage to show them what I thought was a fault light on the dash.

Turned off the button and light went off on dash to suggest diff lock dis engaged.

Backed out to left, drove forward and turned left and at end of road went to turn left again and heard like a metal twang or metal snap sound from rear...

All seems fine? I'm assuming there must have been some wind up there so am wondering if it is just the release sound or something actually snapping.

The vehicle is a 2013 VW Amarok.

I'm hoping to get some reassurance so be nice please.... :/
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often turning off the button doesn't disengage the mechanism of the diff-lock...

I'm guessing that what happened when you turned off is the mechanism moved back slightly and switched off the light but not disengage the diff - this happened after a few turns that freed the wind-up that had occurred - the snapping sound (maybe a slapping sound?) would be the mechanism hitting it's stop.

Damage? if as I said nothing to worry about, but don't allow it to happen too much Wink

I'll leave it for someone else to chip in and say that you shouldn't have done what you did on hard ground Twisted Evil
Lel
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I did know better but thought as only moving a few feet and no real turning it would be ok.... will take it as a warning not to be repeated Smile
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it in 4wd again sometime, if all is well then it is probably it just disengaging under load. My first ranger would stick terribly if you left it in 4wd when pulling out of a track onto a main road, sometimes you'd have to bump it up and down the kerb to get it out. Poor old thing seemed to survive it though.
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lel wrote:
Thanks.

I did know better but thought as only moving a few feet and no real turning it would be ok.... will take it as a warning not to be repeated Smile

My first 4x4 a Mk1 shogun I used to drive for up to 2 miles at a time in 4wdl - used to lock up on corners if I stopped on them but the tyres just slipped out when I put a bit of power on. Many years later and with the benefit of much knowledge and experience I wouldn't do it.

But what I'm saying is you can get away with it providing you have a decent drive train e.g the shogun halfshaft is around 25mm compared to a Vitara of less than 20mm and I believe the land rover's is about that size as well

Not sure what the drive train is like on the Amarok though
Lel
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will search somewhere to try tomorrow but feel better now so don't expect any issues...... hopefully :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: