Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Help with 300tdi fuel pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chosenview
Gate Opener

Odometer: 26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Help with 300tdi fuel pump Reply with quote

Hi all

I've rebuilt a 300tdi engine going right back to block then mostly using new bits. One of the old bits I'm reusing is the fuel injection pump. It's a mechanical pump with the EGR electrics. This is the first time I've done this, so am not an expert.

I've plumbed the engine into a radiator and oil cooler. I've temp wired up an oil pressure indicator and a glow plug/ignition/fuel cut off switch and I've a manual squeeze type switch to simulate cranking.

I can fire the engine up but it acts like the throttle is wide open and keeps accelerating till I disengage the fuel shut off circuit.

There are no cables attached to the fuel pump and the mounting that holds the cable moves freely and (I think) is in the closed position. I have done nothing with the EGR wiring

What stupid thing could I have done, or not done?

Steve
kev.h
Gate Opener

Odometer: 45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i take you're bench testing engine? the egr part of the pump will have t**s all to do with it. " even bench test without coolant flow for a very short period will produce results on engine running. manual oil pressure gauge and run it for 1 mins will give you results. if engine running away it is possible its running on its own oil, indicating possible turbo failure?( but that is severe) or is it something simple like mechanical inj pump throttle lever not back at idle or been previously set too high? i would check pump idle position
kev
chosenview
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, testing the new engine. It is installed in the truck but the truck is a project and is being built from scratch. The truck is actually a Volvo tgb13.

I was concerned about it running on its own oil but thought that was unlikely as the engine shut off when I halted power to the IP shut off valve. Is that conclusion valid? I had a ball ready to shove in the air intake Smile

The turbo is not connected up. So the IP won't be getting any boost info. Can't see that being a problem but......

I will wind back the idle position but we are not talking about it revving a bit high, it really does act like the throttle is wide open. I've been afraid for the engine so turn it off after a couple of seconds. Is there any way of connecting the IP up wrongly that could achieve this?
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is that you have a integral problem with the pump itself - assuming we are talking about a manual pump...

Possibly a stuck governer?
chosenview
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm very annoying.

A stuck govenenor is consistent with the the symptoms.

I'll see if I can get the fuel pin out and see if it's moving
kev.h
Gate Opener

Odometer: 45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly sounds like its over fuelling, Is the pump known to you? meaning have you had it on another running engine. Only thing you can get wrong fitting is the injection timing, if it did run then it would not run away on its own.
chosenview
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pump was on the engine when I took it out the discovery. I bought the car as a non runner due to a head gasket failure. It has been sat about for circa 4 years as well
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And run on cooking oil by any chance?
chosenview
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works !!

Took the pump back out and took it apart. Could not find anything stuck or not the way it looked like it ought to be, so put it back together and back in the truck and away it goes. Chugging away happily.

I've got a temp fuel tank (coffee jar) set up with clear pipes for feed and return and a breather. What surprises me is the level of fuel return. Is this meant to be a constant flow?

The proof http://www.pearman.cc/blog/
( Gray )
Articulating

Odometer: 597

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the injection pump works at full capacity all the time, and the injectors take as much diesel as they require; thus the unused fuel is returned to the tank. I've not able to view your video( it freezes at 1 second), so I don't know if you are running the engine at constant revs or not.
chosenview
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't explain why the vid is not working for you but yes, all as I would expect. Thanks for the facts on fuel return
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Land Rover All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: