Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Night blindness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
absquatulation
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1922

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Night blindness Reply with quote

[rant=on] Night blindness!!!!!

If you can’t see then get off the bloody road!! I followed a car last night, and their speed varied from between 35mph and 45 mph. Every time a car came in the opposite direction the brake lights came on and the speed dropped right off. They then tip toed along until the opposing vehicle passed then they sped up.

Now I could understand if this was a narrow road and there were other risks but this was a wide but unlit road. By all of this speeding up then slowing down then everyone behind (and there were dozens) are constantly having to react and patience is going. All it takes is for someone to decide “I’m going to go for it!” and you have the recipe for disaster.

Once we came to a duel carriageway and everyone else could overtake, the speed went up to 55 mph.

[rant=off]

cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's pretty annoying.

The other morning I came to a t-junction with a BMW stood waiting, nothing coming, I held back a bit as it was a bit odd, after a while a guy got out and I figured he'd broken down and was going to ask for a push, nope, he hadn't de-iced his windows and was getting out to see if the road was clear. He then proceeded to drive along at less than 30mph as he couldn't see. Rolling Eyes

RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and they are allowed to breed!
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come out for a night with me.

(on the odd occasion i do any actual work) i drive through rush hour into early and late evening. housing estates, dual carriageways and country roads.

i have seen every tool there is.

people waiting at junctions for a written invitation to pull out, those who psychologically need to be in the outside lane despite the inside being clear, those who stop at the traffic lights then indicate right the second your wheels stop turning behind them, night blindness, tachophobia, the blert on a phone that realises the lights are green just as they turn amber again, those suffering from hodophobia, people who cant use roundabouts in any way shape or form, people who stop dead for speedhumps then rev the balls out of the car getting to the next one as quickly as possible, people (women) who think that because the dashboard is lit up that their lights are on and why the hell is everyone flashing me and when i get to the lights im going to stare straight ahead despite people screaming "put your fuggin lights on you stupid cow", all taxi drivers in the world ever, past, present and future, BMW drivers and my current pet hate smombies.

at least six times every hour

Shocked

Member of TEAM CHAOS
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ged, I think if you and I were in the same car we'd get along very well, and if we were in different cars we'd hate each other Laughing

I don't get the ones that are in lane 3 when there's nothing in the other lanes, you slow down, sit behind them, they indicate, pull over to lane 2, then once you've passed and gone to lane 1 they move back to lane 3?!?! I mean it's not just that they haven't thought to move over, they're actually doing it intentionally Shocked

Or the ones that pull infront of you then indicate just as their second pair of wheels get to the white line. Although I'm pretty thick I think by the time three quarters of their car is in my lane I've gathered that they're coming into my lane without the need for an indicator.

I don't know what it is about my car, it must just look slow because the number of people that just pull out infront of me at t-junctons is unreal. If it's got no weight in the back the back tyres will sequel if I slam on and you'd be amazed the aggression that creates in people who have just pulled out infront of me. I mean I'm wrecking my tyres to save their bum and half the time they either flag me or brake test me... Great idea when I've just cooked my brakes doing my best not hitting them. One young lad recently did it in a fiesta and there was no way I was going to stop so I swerved onto the other side of the road let off the brakes and put my foot down and he started to race me when there were cars coming towards me. I'm trying to stay alive and he thinks we're on the set of the fast and furious except in a fiesta and a pickup?!?! Another time a guy stopped and went off at me for not giving way to him, I had to point at the give way sign that he'd driven through before he abused me and sped off.

Either everyone else is crazy or I am?!?!

Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Night blindness Reply with quote

absquatulation wrote:
[rant=on] Night blindness!!!!!

If you can’t see then get off the bloody road!! I followed a car last night, and their speed varied from between 35mph and 45 mph. Every time a car came in the opposite direction the brake lights came on and the speed dropped right off. They then tip toed along until the opposing vehicle passed then they sped up.

Now I could understand if this was a narrow road and there were other risks but this was a wide but unlit road. By all of this speeding up then slowing down then everyone behind (and there were dozens) are constantly having to react and patience is going. All it takes is for someone to decide “I’m going to go for it!” and you have the recipe for disaster.

Once we came to a duel carriageway and everyone else could overtake, the speed went up to 55 mph.

[rant=off]

Get that during the day here as well - the road is 8ft wide or over (I know this because it has a white line down the centre Laughing ) the car in front slows for every bus, lorry, van AND car coming the other way - it's broad daylight FFS
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the woman in a bmw that pulled off the kerb where she had been parked half on the pavement on crossing zigzags just as i was passing her, forcing me into oncoming traffic and the car that was following me to slam on so they didnt rear end her?

she probably thought that waving her arms and beeping and flashing and driving up my ass was ok as i shouldnt have been in her way.

pity the car that was now behind her that had to slam on didnt think so.

especially when they put their blue lights on.....

Member of TEAM CHAOS
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and to completely incriminate myself, i dont move from lane 1 if someone is hogging lane 2 or 3.

i just pass where i am.

Member of TEAM CHAOS
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit I was pottering down the 4 lane bit of the m1 the other day in lane 1 with the cruise on and there were 4 cars bumper to bumper in lane 3 and I just couldn't be bothered to go all the way to lane 4 and all the way back again, I recon it would've added at least half an hour to my journey... anyway the bizarre thing was after I'd done it the front car pulled into lane 2 and the other 3 shot off and passed me still all bumper to bumper in lane 3 whilst I was still in lane 1. If they wanted to drive faster than the front guy why did they sit behind him for all that time? They're all middle lane drivers that's why.

Mumble mumble.

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe..... Shocked

just maybe... Anxious

its an age thing..... Silenced

Member of TEAM CHAOS
jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

** GED ** wrote:
why the hell is everyone flashing me

Shocked

An Essex girl was driving down the A13 when her car phone rang.
It was her boyfriend, urgently warning her, 'Cuddles, I just heard on the news that there's a car going the wrong way on the A13. Please be careful!'

'It's not just one car!' said the Essex girl, 'There's fugging hundreds of them!'

J
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the youngster i am i wouldn't know...
h4rri
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer is orange or yellow lensed glasses.

I used to use yellow as it amplified available light and made it a lot easier to see. Trouble is this also amplified headlights. Orange doesn't have the same side effect but aren't as effective overall.

I'm waiting to be stopped and asked why I'm wearing sunglasses at night Laughing
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 10758

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[i][i][i]their speed varied from between 35mph and 45 mph. Every time a car came in the opposite direction the brake lights came on and the speed dropped right off. They then tip toed along until the opposing vehicle passed then they sped up. ....... Once we came to a duel carriageway and everyone else could overtake, the speed went up to 55 mph.

Hi,

I can explain that, been in the same state myself, to the point that I wouldn't drive in the dark ... although I could if I closed one eye when meeting oncoming cars ... or MY head lamps reflected off road signs.

Cataract!

My interpretation was that the light hits the cloudy liquid in my eye, and was then scattered ... just like driving out from under a tree and have a "low in the sky" sun hit your misted windscreen. Mix of starburst and white out.

I eventually had the operation which was less traumatic than having a tooth filled. I almost fell asleep during the op. You cannot see what they are doing, just a white light. All you have to do is lie still for 20 minutes. Worst bit is the frequency that you have to put drops in your eyes afterwards.

Surgeon then told me that I was developing a cataract in my other eye. "Well, get on with it, then!".

For the first time in over 40 years, I can drive without wearing spectacles.

If anybody here has the same symptoms, get it sorted. I went via my optician, easier to access. If you live near Kettering, ask to go to Woodlands Hospital, near A14/J6. (private, but do NHS work). Free car park, and they call you "Sir". Feed you mugs of hot chocolate while you are waiting.

diff22000
Neil Diamond lookalike

Odometer: 9291

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a smombie?

co-founder of the famously feared D.C.J.C.
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member of TEAM CHAOS
Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was in London on Tuesday. Got a bit grumpy about all the smartphone snowflakes walking down the road fixated on their phones and paying no attention to the general flow of pedestrian traffic.

Good to know I still have a decent blindside flankers' shoulder (driving up and into the contact) followed by - "sorry but didn't you see me?" Cool

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightbar wrote:
Was in London on Tuesday. Got a bit grumpy about all the smartphone snowflakes walking down the road fixated on their phones and paying no attention to the general flow of pedestrian traffic.

Cool

I do that often in London - usually following a map - smart phone is a lot smaller and smarter than the A-Z

Razz Razz
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i got a theory there..

when we go to london, the rest of the family gets bumped into all the time, yet weirdly, i never do.

to the point that they all walk behind me...

i recon its how you carry yourself

Member of TEAM CHAOS
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

** GED ** wrote:
well, i got a theory there..

when we go to london, the rest of the family gets bumped into all the time, yet weirdly, i never do.

to the point that they all walk behind me...

i recon its how you carry yourself

Probably recognise you as a scouser Ged and are worried of losing sommat if they bump into you Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works for me! Cool

Member of TEAM CHAOS
( Gray )
Articulating

Odometer: 597

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I saw you, you had a bit of a stomach on you; perhaps the cockneys regarded you as a walking roundabout... Cool
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

works for me Cool

Member of TEAM CHAOS
Twiss
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6438

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should come for a drive around here it would drive you nuts!
The best tactic here is just to look like you aren't going to stop, and then people will give you all sort of right of way!
You get people overtaking around blind corners under tunnels, turning the opposite way to their indicators (if they indicate at all) and deciding at the last minute they want to turn right at a roundabout when they are in the left lane.

Would probably drive me mad if i didn't drive like an arsehole anyway.
Funny thing is they kind of expect you to drive like that, and they don't bat an eyelid when you do!

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Soap Box All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: