Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Dash Cams

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Dash Cams Reply with quote

Anyone got a Dash Cam?

Handy bits of kit but as video clips can be quite big does anyone have problems with sending them to others via email? I usually find that the file is too big for mail but it can go via airdrop or the cloud, but it takes a hell of a long time that way.

J
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trim the video to the length required.....

Member of TEAM CHAOS
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine records in 3 minute seamless segments - handy-ish
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upload to youtube but restrict access. You can also trim it on YouTube to get rid of the guff. I have a phone app which does it in 2 minute segments but it doesn't seem to work very well from my pocket Smile
edessex
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 58

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded Windows Movie Maker to trim and edit any videos.

You can probably get better software, but I wanted a free one as I'm tight...
Twiss
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6438

1993 Suzuki Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this for video editing

https://www.lwks.com/

This for quickly joining gopro vids together

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one for years, ever since some moron in ford Ka cut in front of my 90 with 3 tonne trailer and left me no braking distance. It was only luck that there were witnesses.

Since then I've saved myself points on my licence, at least 3 or 4 claims against me (crash for cash style) as well as providing witness evidence for others.

I have an absolute stunned from November 2014 that finally comes to Court on 1st April where some bloke overtook me dangerously, ripped the **** off his Ceed on my 110's bumper and then, after stopping, physically threatened me. The footage is on youtube but set as 'private' until the dick either pleads or is found guilty and then it'll be published.

I've got a roadhawkHD which films in 1 min segments and I use Windows Movie Maker to join them up.

RichMayo
Just got MTs

Odometer: 413

1997 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cheaper alternative to gopros (got two for pretty much same money - one front one back). They seem to split the files around 3GB.

I use Windows Movie Maker too. Add the files to your project. You can either chop them up and delete sections to reduce and/or you can save in reduced quality. I normally either save a video I make in HD or FB ( for facebook ). Yesterday I recorded 10GB worth of footage, doing a mod to my vitara (I reckon 4-5hours of raw footage). It took quite a while to import into the project. I don't always do it this way but I wanted to do a 64x speed version of all the footage. So it collapsed into about 3mins of footage! Which was 44MB at FB quality. That's not too bad for cloud storage. I've done a similar thing of laning trips... speeding it up to show the distance covered and then slowing the video down for the note-able bits. I like the effect.

Are you asking about dash cam from the perspective of accident capture or adventure recording?

Mine are more for the purpose of the latter. Personally I think the footage is pretty boring compared to someone standing outside the truck filming - and you often have to wade through tonnes of footage to find the bits you like. There's just not enough time in the day really. We've had quite good results with a long selfy stick attached to an action camera as it allows you to get some pretty interesting shots from a safe distance. We've also had a friend bring down a Quad Copter with gopro n gimble to a pay n play... that was pretty cool..

...I think what I'm trying to say is I always end up using way more material from the people who stand around for a few mins with a gopro/phone than I do the dash cam which is running continuously - which kinda reduces the footage I ultimately need at the end of the day, and makes it easier to share...
jojo
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 5422

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers and advice everyone. I'm getting the hang of this new fangled contraption now and can see that the way to go is to edit, so I will have a play around with editing and see if I get anything interesting and worth posting. So far I have only had one corner cutter who nearly took my front off. I've got a Blackvue DR650GW-2CH (front and rear cameras) and what prompted me to get it was some a-hole coming the wrong way round a roundabout, doing a handbrake turn just behind me (he passed me on my off-side) and then cutting me up to take the exit in front of me. Difficult to describe the event, but if only I had bought the dashcam a week before!

J
( Gray )
Articulating

Odometer: 597

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to let others have a copy of your webcam files, consider opening a Dropbox account, uploading them to the Dropbox, and letting them have the password.
RichMayo
Just got MTs

Odometer: 413

1997 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Gray ) wrote:
If you want to let others have a copy of your webcam files, consider opening a Dropbox account, uploading them to the Dropbox, and letting them have the password.

I can't tell if you're joking?

Oh do you mean open another account which is solely for the purpose of sharing like this? So that would be one of those passwords that you don't use for anything else right?

FWIW most cloud storage should provide something like a "get a link" option under sharing. For example - one drive, you upload the video, click the share button, and it lets you either email people you want to have access (who may need a certain type of email address), or you can click "get a link". It remains read only unless you specify otherwise. Then you just note the link down and distribute it as you like to whoever you wish to share with. As far as I'm aware the item you are sharing is now publically exposed to anyone with the link (or who figures it out)... but should be read only.

My phone syncs itself with one drive and I end up with all my pics in a camera roll folder everytime I get on my home wifi. Instant backup, and then every so often I just go through the camera roll and sort of organize it. All done by the one drive app - which you can use to do other stuff too ( browser I find is better tbh but its okay for viewing ).

What would be really neat is if the cameras could connect to your home wifi when you return home each day and just start uploading that days recordings. It'd be good if you could specify quality, and retention policy in the cloud storage and the camera (I think the latter is a pretty common feature?). Anyone own a dash cams that does this kind of thing? Bet they're getting pretty expensive by that point.
sirdoodle918
Gate Opener

Odometer: 31

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one! Personally I find it very useful, especially if there's a crash or something, and the other person may blame you for it, then you have evidence that proves you right. A dash cam is almost a must noawadays, in my opinion.
Although I can't help you with your issue, I wanted to answer to your first question Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: