Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Best Tyre for Best Grip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dunc
Just got MTs

Odometer: 134

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Best Tyre for Best Grip Reply with quote

I have a fairly standard Defender.

It would appear that my tyres are past their best. Actually I think I knew that anyway, but yesterday confirmed it in a dramatic way when I really struggled for grip and those around me at an RTV fared much better.

The lads there were keen that Insa Turbos are the way to go, but also commented that as I only had 15 inch wheels, I may have to go 16 inch to find Insa Turbos that will fit. A bit of flea bay research shows that in 15 inch I can get Insa Turbo:-

205/70-15 Dakar Mud.
205/70-15 Special Track Mud
195/80-15 Special Track Mud
215/75-15 Sahara 2 Mud
31 X10.5 X 15 Special Track Aggressive.

For reference, I am currently on 33 X 12.5 X 15 of various makes, mainly between "mid life" and "close to end of life".

Several people at the RTV said that these were putting me at a disadvantage as, apart from being not the best tread pattern, and also being fairly worn, they were too wide.

I noticed that some were running different sizes front and rear with narrower tyres on the front. Also, a lot of people were running wheels with different offsets front and rear. The reasons for this are to allow a better steering lock before the tyres start to foul things they shouldn't.

Are Insa Turbo the way to go, or is there anything else that I should consider?

Which of the above will give best off road grip? I have a preference for 5 the same, but if there really is an advantage to having narrower fronts and wider rears I will do that. My current tyres do restrict the steering lock so I can see the logic.

I also have a preference to keep my 15 inch wheels, but bearing in mind that I will be loosing ground clearance by moving away from the 33s, am I best to go to 16s? This increases costs quite a bit so I want to avoid it if possible, but on the other hand if I spend a lot on new tyres and then find I keep running aground, I may wish I had spent a bit more on new wheels as well.

The car is a toy and the only regular "on-road" use is driving to/from off road events and it does a very low mileage. Hence, on road grip, or how quickly they wear out, are not of concern.
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not such an easy question to answer.

I had creepy crawlies on by LR90 buggy which were great until I went to AE4x4 and got nowhere while the guys on Simexes had great fun but up at The Scotia, those with simexes dug themselves into holes easily while I 'floated' over the soft stuff.

It's a compromise affected by driving style, ground conditions, vehicle and budget as anything else

Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the driver makes a huge difference, but leaving that aside...

I also know its a compromise. I have never had a problem on my existing tyres up until yesterday, in fact sometimes they did amazingly well.

Yesterday, however, was a different story. I couldn't even get up a wet grass gentle slope. I did struggle to walk up it as well, but that is not the point. Everyone else could drive up it, and I couldnt. I even got someone else to try and drive my car up, and he couldnt either, so its not merely my driving.

Budget is difficult to answer. Obviously it is not a case of "money no object", but I had budgeted for new tyres this year and since tyres are key I would rather spend a bit more on decent ones than keep having to be recovered.

One other possibility is to stick with the size I have, then I can replace two at a time and spread the cost, but everyone yesterday thought that the size was the key problem.
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've re-read your OP a bit more closely and it seems that there are a lot of people out there with lots of crazy ideas and time to experiment.#

What strikes me most is that you accept your tyres are worn out but when new they were fine or better than fine. If that's the case why change?

Its definitely true that tyres should be the first thing you change to improve a car but without a clear idea of what you are trying to achieve then any advice given will be of limited use.

If I were wanting to do RTVs and occasional play days on decent terrain then almost any mud terrain tyre would be fine and I'd go on price first. If I want to be a bit more aggressive then yes the 'special track' or Simex pattern are tremendous but up here we refer to tracks getting 'simexed' as the cack footed driver gets a little bogged and floors it thus destroying the ground for those who follow.

Absolute grip is not the be all and end all; you need to consider ground pressure, deformation (or not) and what pressure range you might use. A canny driver might use the extra traction from a softer tyre (you need softer side walls to benefit from lower pressures) and remould will not give you that.

Next, lets throw in wheel diameter. I prefer smaller wheels for a given tyre diameter as this gives you more tyre wall height and more flexibility of prssure to control the ground pressure. Lower tyre pressure = lower ground pressure = increased traction = more progress and control. Tyre choice is, however, limited by wheel size.

After all that you should consider teh effects of teh tyre choice on the rest of your drivetrain. If you increase the strength of one element then you move the weak link to something else. For example, Simexes and lockers often equals broken shafts/CVs so consider the effect of all that traction from the extreme tyres on your axles and propshafts. I went for Maxxis Cerrpys so that they would spin rather than grip in extreme winch challenge situations becuase my winches needed higher revs than ideal to maintain power from the alternator. Now I have an auto and can crawl the car and engine whilst still giving max amps to the winch less likely to break anything (I also have arbs lockers front and back as well as full ashcroft internals...).

RTVs often rely on momentum, planning and spinning the steering like a politician on Andrew Marr more than outright grip.

Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard, you make some interesting points.

The evidence was that everyone else could get traction yesterday and I couldn't. A few people struggled, but no one to the extent of me.

Everyone had narrower tyres and Insa Turbos were clearly the tyre of choice.

I couldnt give exact numbers, but I was surprised by the number of cars with narrower wheels / tyres at the front than rear. They were not massively different, eg 205/80 on the front and 235/70 on the rear. The wheel offset difference was typically 10 or 20 mm so I wouldnt have noticed if it was not pointed out to me. The offset and narrower front tyres was clearly aimed at getting maximum steering lock on.

However, even their rear tyres were narrower than mine and it was a general comment that my tyres were simply too wide and "floating" on the soft grass rather than sinking in so they could get a bit of traction.

My car is typically only used a maximum of once a month, with fairly even mix of pay & play, green laning and RTV, so around 3 or 4 of each a year.

Your comments on too much grip breaking the drive train are well noted. However, I do think that if I am spending money on new tyres, I would like to go for best grip possible.

I do agree with the "why change size" if they were OK comment, which also has the advantage that I could buy two, leave it a few months and buy another pair. On the other hand I have always been frustrated by my lack of turning circle compared to some others, and I think I know why now.
Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to the above, if I was going to stick with my current size, what tyre would you go for, for best grip if (hypothetically) money was no object?
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your usage makes it all much clearer.

Yes, narrower will improve grip on grass AND improve turning circle, both of which are essential in RTVs. Have you wound in your lock stops as much as you can?

Your lost traction was as much down to lack of tread than tread pattern but on wet grass, or green ice, I'd want Insas as well.

I'd decide which use is most important, go for those tyres and drive around the limitations in other circumstances.

I use Fediam Scirroccos - cos they came with the car. Would I buy them again? Yup!

Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lock stops are wound in a bit too far, on full lock I can feel the tyre rubbing..

You give a lot of valuable opinion, which I will think about (probably not going out again for about 6 weeks, so no rush).

On a general note, if I go for something narrower, will I notice a massive difference in grip in situations where a wider tyre is better. I realise there is no definitive answer to this, but will be thinking "sh*t if I had stuck to the wider tyre I wouldnt be stuck now) or would I hardly notice the difference?

Or is that impossible to answer as it depends so much on the terrain?
RichMayo
Just got MTs

Odometer: 413

1997 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the various makes you are running? Any pics? This is guna depend a bit on what your current tyres are tbh. You might get enough gain out of something less aggressive if you are currently on worn all terrains?

You said you were losing out at an RTV with a fairly standard Defender but others were making it up. Were the other vehicles fairly standard Defenders too? Did you have a pretty good like 4 like compare against another vehicle?

Other thing you might want to ask yourself is what is frequent terrain at the sites/lanes you go to? If you spend alot of time in quarries aggressive mud terrains like the insa turbo special tracks etc. might not be all that far apart from a less aggressive pattern. Appreciate it can be irritating that time you can't get somewhere but everyone else can - but if it's infrequent you make the call how much that matters. I guess if you see alot of mud you might want to lean that way.

I run BFGoodrich km2's on 3 different vehicles and some special track style on an offroad toy. On my patrol ive got 33 12.5 15 km2s. I manage to follow my friends on special tracks and simex's where we go without a problem using it. But like i've said to them a few times i bet that's down to we don't see enough proper mud for them to see the difference where i'd start lacking. Interestingly my friend with a 90 just moved away from his aggressive tyres to some narrower but similar diameter bfgoodriches. I think he's feeling alot less side grip and noticing how they lack in proper mud. On the other hand when we had to extract a grounded stuck vehicle the other day and we had a decent bit of track surface to pull on he span wheels on the narrower wheels where i pulled the vehicle out no problem. As far as i'm aware we were running similar pressures. That might be tyre width coming in to play or just different vehicle - or i got lucky - hard to say.

This is guna depend a bit on what your current tyres are tbh.
RichMayo
Just got MTs

1997 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way pretty sure you can get insa turbo special track in your current size from 4x4tyres.co.uk

But if you wanted to go narrower without the losing height you could try silverstone mt117 extremes... You can get them in 33 10.5 15... which would be narrower but still fit your wheels...

tbh my friend has the 31's 10.5 15 special tracks and they are not a million miles off of 33" diameter when they were new. People on here know wwaaay more about this than me but i think there's two different sizes of that they sell them as, and they tend to vary a bit anyway being a remould related the carcass that was used - i think his set are at the larger end of the spectrum.
Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pictures to hand to be honest.

The current tyres are what were on it when I bought it.

It was advertised as having "mud terrain" tyres on it, but they are not particularly aggressive.

The better two are Khumo. The other three, are all different budget makes I have never heard of.

I have been planning to replace them all for a while, but after yesterday, it has moved right to the top of the priority list.

Plenty of other defenders there, all relatively standard, i.e. no locking diffs in the standard class. Ground clearance etc wasn't the issue, it was simply getting traction.
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardD wrote:

I use Fediam Scirroccos - cos they came with the car. Would I buy them again? Yup!

AFAIK Fedima are no longer in business?
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most trialers now use the Insa Special track - I've had mine since they first came out - basically a 9.5 x 33 on 16 which won't be available on a 15"

Trials in this area tend to be in woods so the narrow tyre cuts down into the soft soil rather than slides on top - a narrow tyre has a bigger traction area than a wide tyre:

Narrow:

__
| |
| |
|_|

Wide

_______
|______|

It is front to back traction that is the most important and the most likely reason the other trialers are pointing you towards a 16" wheel (and I thought Landrover wore 16" as standard - or is that only the Disco?)
Mr Tyre
Mr Tyre

Odometer: 4957

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to forget the first four sizes on your list, as you will lose a whole heap of ground clearance, and they will screw up your gearing.A lot of aggressive pattern remoulds are larger in diameter than the sidewalls are stamped due to their construction.As Rich Mayo has said he knows someone running 31x10.50R15 Insa Special Track that are not a million miles off 33 inches in diameter so there is a thought for you.

FYI 235/85R16 Insa Special Track or something similar are going to be a size to for if you change wheel size.
Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am concerned about loosing ground clearance.

Although I am still tempted by the last one on the original list I am weighing up the pros & cons of iether sticking to my current size and going to the most extreme tread pattern I can find, or buying some 16" rims and sticking special tracks on them.
Mr Tyre
Mr Tyre

Odometer: 4957

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you some idea the first 3 on your list are going to be around 27 inches in diameter, the 4th on the list is going to be around 28.5 inches in diameter, i expect the 31x10.5 to be 32-32.5 inches in diameter, but remoulds do vary on what casing you use.

Standard new MT pattern 7.50-16 ( a factory fitment size on a 90) start at 32 inches in diameter.

Can't really think of anything narrower than 31x10.5 other than 255/75R15, that would make much difference to you.
Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more I am concerned about the lack of ground clearance.

I had a good look at my tyres last night. Three are a lot worse (tread depth remaining) than the other two and none are particularly aggressive. While I am tempted to buy a set of 16 inch rims and stick on Insa Turbos, I am thinking that if I can find something really aggressive in my current size (33X12.5X15) that will be a huge improvement over where I am now and probably almost as good as the 16 inch rim route for a lot less money.

What would you recommend in that size? Or am I really better to change?
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dunc wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I am concerned about the lack of ground clearance.

I had a good look at my tyres last night. Three are a lot worse (tread depth remaining) than the other two and none are particularly aggressive. While I am tempted to buy a set of 16 inch rims and stick on Insa Turbos, I am thinking that if I can find something really aggressive in my current size (33X12.5X15) that will be a huge improvement over where I am now and probably almost as good as the 16 inch rim route for a lot less money.

What would you recommend in that size? Or am I really better to change?

While new tyres, especially aggressive, will be an improvement on what you have now, a 12.5 tyre will never be as good as a 9.5 tyre (235/85 R16) for trialing...

There are used 16" steel discovery/defender wheels on eBay for £18 each collected from Birmingham - and others that may be nearer to you - new wheels from about twice that
RichMayo
Just got MTs

1997 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dunc wrote:

The better two are Khumo. The other three, are all different budget makes I have never heard of.

When I was researching what to buy I did some googling around the khumo KL71 mud terrains as they seemed a lower price - perhaps these are what you have? From what I read folks were saying they were pretty heavily road biased for a mud terrain and didn't really stand up to some of the more expensive tyres off road - tended to start slipping earlier than say a km2 or cooper stt. I haven't played with them myself but also not seen many people using them which might say it all tbh. Might not be helping if those are your better two tyres.
RichMayo
Just got MTs

1997 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpajun wrote:

Trials in this area tend to be in woods so the narrow tyre cuts down into the soft soil rather than slides on top - a narrow tyre has a bigger traction area than a wide tyre:

Narrow:

__
| |
| |
|_|

Wide

_______
|______|

I've heard folks saying this but not fully appreciated why. Could you explain why the traction area is bigger on the narrow tyre? Those boxes have the same area to me. Is this a narrow tyre which has cut down vs a wide which is still on surface?

This logic pretty much holds if there is something to cut down through though right? Because if there wasn't the narrower tyre would actually have far less traction area (part of the reason that it will tend to cut down through faster).

Xpajun wrote:

It is front to back traction that is the most important and the most likely reason the other trialers are pointing you towards a 16" wheel (and I thought Landrover wore 16" as standard - or is that only the Disco?)

What do you mean by front to back traction? And how does a bigger wheel help this?

The tendency for narrower tyres to cut down does have a negative impact on clearance though.
Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All, thank you for your assistance and comments.

While searching fleabay I found some special tracks on 16 inch disco 1 wheels. Picking them up on Friday.

I didnt really want second hand tyres as a certain amount of life will already be gone. However, these are described as "used once" and looking at the photos they could almost be new.

Yes, those Khumos are the ones and they aint great for mud...
RichMayo
Just got MTs

1997 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Hope they work out for you! What size were they in the end?
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichMayo wrote:
Xpajun wrote:

Narrow:

__
| |
| |
|_|

Wide

_______
|______|

I've heard folks saying this but not fully appreciated why. Could you explain why the traction area is bigger on the narrow tyre? Those boxes have the same area to me. Is this a narrow tyre which has cut down vs a wide which is still on surface?

Yes they kinda have the same area but they work differently - a narrow tyre puts more of the circumferential tread on the ground - i.e. the tread pattern, including the side wall pattern - all ready to dig in when necessary and as it digs in it deploys more of the tread/side wall

Whereas the wide tyre although seemingly has the same area of tread is only deploying one, maybe 1.5 blocks of tread rather than the 4 or 5 of the narrow tyre so the wide tyre has less grip than the narrow tyre, and by the time the wide tyre get's deep enough to get 4 or 5 blocks gripping, they can't because the tread is full of mud...

RichMayo wrote:

This logic pretty much holds if there is something to cut down through though right? Because if there wasn't the narrower tyre would actually have far less traction area (part of the reason that it will tend to cut down through faster).

Think we can say that is correct - but don't forget that lower tyre pressure will increase the traction area.
RichMayo wrote:

Xpajun wrote:

What do you mean by front to back traction? And how does a bigger wheel help this?

Front to back traction explained above (I think)

Bigger wheel help thus:

If you look at a section of a tyre (cut across the width obviously) you will see that it is a circle with the top flattened to form the tread (this is the aspect ratio never more than 95% of the tyre diameter) and the bottom is cut off to fit the rim.

In order to get a tall tyre on a small diameter wheel you have to increase the diameter of the tyre as in a 33" tyre is possible on a 15" rim but you can only get it in a 12.5 width - move up to a 16" rim and you'll find you can get a 33" tyre with a 9.5" diameter

We look for bigger tyre diameter to increase ground clearance under the diff or pumpkin as the American like to call it - that is your vehicles lowest part and no amount of suspension or body lift will increase it. You fit suspension and body lifts to enable you to fit bigger tyres, you use bigger diameter wheels so you can fit narrower tyres which tend to be better for trialling.

Apparently there is less rolling resistances with wider tyres, which is probably true as you would be using them on sand - expedition work in Africa - the wider the better

RichMayo wrote:

The tendency for narrower tyres to cut down does have a negative impact on clearance though.
Wink

No because that is why you go bigger diameter Razz

Last edited by Xpajun on Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to add Rich I know the narrow tyre works Rich, because I bought a set of Insa Special Track (at £60 a corner) when they were first produced, used them for trialing and everyone else followed because they were so impressed with what the tyres were achieving.
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dunc wrote:
All, thank you for your assistance and comments.

While searching fleabay I found some special tracks on 16 inch disco 1 wheels. Picking them up on Friday.

I didnt really want second hand tyres as a certain amount of life will already be gone. However, these are described as "used once" and looking at the photos they could almost be new.

Yes, those Khumos are the ones and they aint great for mud...

Glad you're sorted and yes the KL71s were always a really bad buy
Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

265/75-16

I really wanted 235, but its not a huge difference.

It seemed too good an opportunity to let go.
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 265s are 11/11.5" wide by just under 33" - you'll find them loads better than what you have at the moment
Big Dunc
Just got MTs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, really looking forward to getting them - its like Christmas.
RichMayo
Just got MTs

1997 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dunc wrote:
I know, really looking forward to getting them - its like Christmas.

I've said the same thing about new tyres before!
RichMayo
Just got MTs

1997 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Xpajun. That's really helped my understanding of what's going on.

Next question...

A lot of trucks I see seem to be running large diameter tyres at least as wide as 12.5". By the time you've worked up to a 40" tyre you could be running as wide as 13.5" - or more? I'm thinking the challenge style trucks, often space frame - I figure they'd weigh even less so need even more help cutting down.

Are they compensating by running lower pressures? Or otherwise? Or are the other benefits of bigger tyres just too great?

So how come there isn't a 40" (or similar) tyre available that runs on a very large rim, which is say 10.5" or less? If there is - why don't we see more of them in the uk in this kinda wood environments where cutting down helps (does seem pretty common over here). Could those 33x9.5's you were talking about out perform a 40x13.5 in terms of traction (assume similar patterns)? I'd be really interested to see.

Sorry for hi-jacking thread (I seem to do this a lot recently :S) but I think we're still on topic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Wheels and Tyres All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: