Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

how to workout size of new tyres ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wowyswittowedtwuck
Just got MTs

Odometer: 122

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: how to workout size of new tyres ? Reply with quote

Im going to be ordering a set of new tyres but getting the truck ready for them before they arrive.

The new ones will be 4" taller and 2" wider than the ones that are on it.

Now my understanding is a 4" taler tyre will gain 2" at each side an 2" top and bottom - so my current tyre if I added something 2" to each side it should give me the new tyre size on my car ? just so I can trim body etc ?

Now does this work with width ? Ive got 10.50 at the moment but going 12.50 .

So will my tyre only stick out an extra inch as the other inch will be at the inside of the tyre ?

Does that make sense Smile?
Mr Tyre
Mr Tyre

Odometer: 4957

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your current fitment? and what do you intend to fit.
If you are going from for instance 31x10.50R15 to 35x12.50R15 it will depend on a certain extent to what rims you are using as the sectional width will vary by around 5mm for every half inch half inch change to rim width.
Most people running 31x10's use a 7 inch rim where the optimum rim for them is 8.5 inch,there would be a difference if for instance if you did go for 35x12.5 if you used an 8 inch rim against a 10 inch optimum rim width.

To give you some idea a 31x10.50R15 on a 8.5 inch rim is going to be 289mm wide (ish).On a 7 inch rim it's going to be 274 mm (ish).For a 35x12.50 if you go for an 8 inch rim instead of 10 inch the wider tyre the sectional width is only going to be 10-15mm wider than the 31x10.5, take into account that if you fit remoulds their diameter and sectional width do vary compared to new tyres.

What you need to do body wise in my eyes is to give yourself twice as much clearance as you need to lessen any chance of the bodywork hitting the tyres or the tyre catching bodywork or suspension components.But the choice is yours.
wowyswittowedtwuck
Just got MTs

Odometer: 122

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tyre wrote:
What is your current fitment? and what do you intend to fit.
If you are going from for instance 31x10.50R15 to 35x12.50R15 it will depend on a certain extent to what rims you are using as the sectional width will vary by around 5mm for every half inch half inch change to rim width.
Most people running 31x10's use a 7 inch rim where the optimum rim for them is 8.5 inch,there would be a difference if for instance if you did go for 35x12.5 if you used an 8 inch rim against a 10 inch optimum rim width.

To give you some idea a 31x10.50R15 on a 8.5 inch rim is going to be 289mm wide (ish).On a 7 inch rim it's going to be 274 mm (ish).For a 35x12.50 if you go for an 8 inch rim instead of 10 inch the wider tyre the sectional width is only going to be 10-15mm wider than the 31x10.5, take into account that if you fit remoulds their diameter and sectional width do vary compared to new tyres.

What you need to do body wise in my eyes is to give yourself twice as much clearance as you need to lessen any chance of the bodywork hitting the tyres or the tyre catching bodywork or suspension components.But the choice is yours.

Wow thanks,

Yes I'm going from 31x10.15x15 up to 35x12.50x15,

At pre cutting there was just over 2" between the 31" tyre and the body, I'm cutting 2-3" from the body which will give me somewhere between 4&5" between the 31" and the body - this will surely be enough room for 35s

Width wise - the 10.50 tyre is covered by the wheel arch by just over 1 inch,

If they stick out 2" ( going to 12.50. ) they will come past the arch which is why I'm asking about an inch either side of the tyre,
Mr Tyre
Mr Tyre

Odometer: 4957

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New 35 inch tyres are going to be around 34.5-34.7 inches in diameter so are not a true 35 inch in diameter, yes they could max out at 12.6 inches wide,an inch either side as you say but if you stick to an 8 inch rim (i am guessing that is the rim you are using now), the sectional width will vary by 5mm for half inch change in rim width which will mean that instead of being 322mm wide (on a 10 inch rim) they are going to be around 300-302mm wide (11.81-11.88 inches) wide on an 8 inch rim, which is only 10-12mm wider than you have now.

It's all down to what rims you have now and if you intend to change them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Wheels and Tyres All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: