Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Help- Swift seats into a vitara - how ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hilts
Gate Opener

Odometer: 40

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Help- Swift seats into a vitara - how ? Reply with quote

Hi, i have decided to treat my vitara to some newer seats out of Suzuki swift. Both cars are 3 door models.

Before I chop up any metal has anyone done this before - are there any tips ?

Which bits do you keep and what do you throw away ?

I am more a bolt together guy than weld, so could make plates etc. Just a bit puzzled at the moment as to where to start. I guess you keep the old runners ??? but which tilt mechanism do you use ? Any help much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

zng109

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite interested in this, not so much swift seats but any seat that will cussion a passenger, my gf is registered disabled and any seat that stops jarring of the spine I would be interested in, so anyone looking at this thread might like to chuck in a "this seat is good" would be appreciated, however to the author I would say show me the seat and rail system and let me guess.
hilts
Gate Opener

Odometer: 40

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer of help, here is an update.

I couldn't figure out how to take the original seats apart without destroying them, so I decided to make brackets for the new seats.

I have SWB vitara 3dr, so made sure the swift seats I got from ebay were also from a 3dr.

I removed the old seats and used centre rear bolt as a datum and made brackets to support the swift runners. This was a pain in the backside and took me hours. I used uni-strut and odds and sod of metal in the garage.

My conclusions are thus:- The swift seats look newer and smart, they are firmer to sit on and are slightly higher. They are a good fit width wise. I am 5 foot 8 , so still plenty of head room for me in the car.

The cons to this job are:- it takes ages to build the brackets. The new seats are very heavy. The swift seats don't have much lumbar support. To me they feel better than vitara seats but not sure if different models would give better support - (zng109 maybe try different seats out before parting with cash). The seat belts on vitara do not fit the swift catches , therefor retain the vitara catches.

Main drawback however is that the swift runners do not give as much clearance for entry to the back seats of the vitara. Now this may not be an issue for vans or 2 seaters, and to be fair I don't use the back seats that much, however it has p'eed me off a bit. I guess it would not be an issue if you swapped runners - and is something I might investigate again in the future.

After using the car for a few days I think I like them and will probably stick with them - although might have to change runners if I get clever enough.

Sorry to ramble on, just trying to give honest feedback in case others might be tempted to go down this road.

Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zng109 wrote:
I am quite interested in this, not so much swift seats but any seat that will cussion a passenger, my gf is registered disabled and any seat that stops jarring of the spine I would be interested in, so anyone looking at this thread might like to chuck in a "this seat is good" would be appreciated, however to the author I would say show me the seat and rail system and let me guess.

been a while since i had time to post, but look for some Jeep Cherokee seats mate

armchairs!

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Suzuki All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: