Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Diff oil leaking from wheel end

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHEROKEECH
Gate Opener

Odometer: 43

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Diff oil leaking from wheel end Reply with quote

I have discovered a leak from my back wheel area on my 99 cherokee, I discovered it when re filling the rear diff oil, at first I thought it was the rear brake cylinder so carried on with the oil change and ordered a cylinder, I have now discovered by the smell and the fact the brake works fine that it is in fact the diff oil coming out through the axle tube.
Because I filled it right up again it has started pouring out when driving and its all up the side of the car and all over the tailgate etc.
There is a seal at the end of the axle tube with the bearing that supports the driveshaft which I am going to do next weekend my main question is does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not I should replace the bearing at the same time, there is no noise or anything and I go by the philosophy "if it aint broke leave it" Rolling Eyes
ukjeeper
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1135

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the bearing. There's obviously wear going on in there, and as you have to take everything apart anyway...
coconino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

There is something at the back of my mind that is telling me that there maybe two seal’s on each drive shaft. The outer one is too keep the mud and bullet’s out of the axle when you are wading etc. The other is up by the diff and that keeps the oil in. I may have got it wrong but on the other hand!!!

Richard.
The Smiths
Articulating

Odometer: 711

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coconino wrote:
Hi,

There is something at the back of my mind that is telling me that there maybe two seal’s on each drive shaft. The outer one is too keep the mud and bullet’s out of the axle when you are wading etc. The other is up by the diff and that keeps the oil in. I may have got it wrong but on the other hand!!!

Richard.

that's right - for the front axle, he was talking about back one though

coconino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction, you have also jogged my memory further, about twelve years ago I had an axle oil leak and it was the front. It’s all coming back now!

Cheers, Richard.
CHEROKEECH
Gate Opener

Odometer: 43

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I stupidly left this for over 2 months by which time the bearing was rumbling and eventually went completely.
now I have to replace the drive shaft as well Evil or Very Mad
my own stupid fault letting other things get in the way of fixing it.
A little tip incase anyone else has the same job to do, you will need a 1/4 spanner or a 12 point socket to undo the little locking bolt inside the diff, I have 3 toolboxes full of tools but still had to go and buy a single spanner to do it. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> Jeep All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: