Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

STRONGEST AXELS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WEZZA309
Gate Opener

Odometer: 10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: STRONGEST AXELS Reply with quote

HI i am new to this site I have been reading a bit cause I may be planning a project so thought i better ask my 1st question

I want to build a challenge / ultra 4 racer so the axels are my 1st question which to go for what are the pluses and minuses for each will run on 37"
i know this much the spider axels are silly money but what are the trail gear ones like
landcruser axels
nissan patrol axels
G wagon axels
landrover axels modifided with either kam or ashcroft

i know this is a how long is a piece of string and everyone has a preference but what are the general thinking guys

I have not made my mine up about anything else yet cause I have to start some where
N.R.G97
Off-Road Guru

Odometer: 1502

1966 Land Rover Hybrid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: STRONGEST AXELS Reply with quote

WEZZA309 wrote:
HI i am new to this site I have been reading a bit cause I may be planning a project so thought i better ask my 1st question

I want to build a challenge / ultra 4 racer so the axels are my 1st question which to go for what are the pluses and minuses for each will run on 37"
i know this much the spider axels are silly money but what are the trail gear ones like
landcruser axels
nissan patrol axels
G wagon axels
landrover axels modifided with either kam or ashcroft

i know this is a how long is a piece of string and everyone has a preference but what are the general thinking guys

I have not made my mine up about anything else yet cause I have to start some where

Hi, depends how much money you have to spend...

I don't know about the trail gear axles, best bet would be to ask on pirate4x4 about them I think.

Cruisers aren't bad but I'veheard the cv's arent amazing.

Patrol, look for y61 axles as they have bigger cvs than the y60. Other than that very similar to the y60s. Locker in the rear is standard and limited slip from an earlier patrol or a terrano can be put in the front. You can buy upgrades for patrol axles (rcv, caloffroad, I think trail gear? )

g wagon axles I think are similar to Dana 44's which are okay but not great.

I would never buy land rover axles. Yes they can be upgraded- but they are only ccompatible to standard patrol or yota axles- which can then be upgraded from there, for a similar price to land rover.

I would go for patrol, that'swhat I run and can't fault them. I may upgrade them if I ever break them but until then, why bother? And a spare cv from milner Is like £50.

http://www.profendersuspension.com/
WEZZA309
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i had thought the nissan Y61 was looking top of the list but wanted too check
another question is there any difference in diff ratios depending on engine type petrol / diesel or cc or are they all the same ?
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nissan strongest but only rear locker as standard. Rear diff in middle so may not be ideal depending on tf box and wheelbase or might be just right Smile

80 series much stronger than land rover, cv's not as strong as nissan but you can get after market. Come with lockers front and rear and diffs are in the right place to suit a land rover if you happen to be using one as a base vehicle. They also advise replacing pinion crush collar with a solid one as you can crush it a bit more if you land on something with the flange / prop apparently. Also the ratio is around 3.9 / 4.1 depending if they are off a manual / auto so a nice reduction based on land rovers 3.54.

G-wagon very strong and very heavy. Diffs rotate wrong way for LR so you need to swap them over but it has been done.

A full set of ashcrofts should be as strong as the toyotas internally and an easy bolt for land rover, no welding, modding props, brakes or wheels. Quick and easy to do and get parts. You could even carry cheap standard parts to keep you going at an event or get you home. Plus seals and wheel bearings etc are dirt cheap. From memory a set of pinion bearings for toyota is something like £200. Plus you don't have to buy it all at one time, you can spread the cost. However you still have standard pinion bearings which seem to fail now & then & the standard case which TBH i've never had a problem with. Plus I think the warranty is limited to 35" tyres?

I couldn't justify the cost of the ashcrosfts vs the time of modding the toyotas. If you price up 2x ashcroft lockers, 4x uprated shafts, cvs, drive flanges, lower ratio r&p and diff pegging and I bet your over £3k. Compared to the LC80 axles I picked up for £700 which came with wheels & tyres that I sold for £200 & the e-locker drives which I am going to sell as I'm converting to pneumatic which are maybe worth £150.

WEZZA309
Gate Opener

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info
i have not yet decided what the base could be
lenght i was looking 100"+
As for the transfer box i had read some where the landrover ( i think it was LT230 but not sure at the min on the code ) is very strong and easy to get , mod and cheap if i am wrong please correct me

the same question over the 80 series is there one that is better due to the diff ratio
the nissan i keep seeing 3lt derv ones so need to know if they are the ones
At the minute i am trying too plan the truck and decide or if something comes up for sale i would like the knowledge to decide to buy or not
the info is much appreciated
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info I learn't after Rolling Eyes buying my 80 series axles is the first year or two production (mine) had slightly smaller front brakes and 15" rims. You can swap them to the bigger brakes if you need to, I don't think it will matter for what I do with it. They went to 16" rims to make space for the bigger brakes but obviously you can fit a 16" rim on a small brake axle so it's not a 100% check.

I think it was the manual had the 3.9ish diff ratio (mine) and the auto 4.1ish ratio. I don't think the imports have lockers all around but not 100% on this.

LR transfer boxes seem to last ok, I know someone running one on a jeep with mog axles, 44" boggers, something like a 7.2 v8 and a PTO winch and it seems to survive.

Fanansmick
Gate Opener

Odometer: 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still looking for Nissan axles there is a complete vehicle for sale in Ft William (Facebook market place) for £500, trailer it home rob axles and anything else you want then sell the rest as spares or scrap.
The axles are fetching silly money elsewhere.
Scrunt44
Just got MTs

Odometer: 137

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If still looking for axles after 6 years then that is a pretty slow project.
Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrunt44 wrote:
If still looking for axles after 6 years then that is a pretty slow project.

Some of mine are decades in the making Cool

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
kkk2
Winch Assistant

Odometer: 58

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Land cruiser axles are strong and even better with trail gear upgrades, We have these on samurai running 35 inch tyres and do extreme stuff and never had an issue, we also have a tjm air locker in the front axle as well, great set up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> 4x4s All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: