Online Shop
Contact Us
FAQ
Calendar
Garage
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Advertise With Us - Reach your target market by advertising on the Difflock.com forum.
Click here or call 0845 125 9407

Less than 1%

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3096

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Less than 1% Reply with quote

When I did engineering science a long time ago at college. Anything under 5% especially when dividing was ignored.

So why in this day and age do we have to bow down and take notice of these people ?

So we have ONE person upset but 10.000 and more are happy.
WHY do we HAVE to pander to that one person ?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 40007

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I'm interested to hear what are you referring to.
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - yes that's right, I have a Zook!
mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarkson
The DJ from Devon.

IMO they did nothing wrong.

PC gone mad.

Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 40007

2009 Land Rover 110 CSW

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - yes that's right, I have a Zook!
DD
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 9761

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to agree on this one. Madness.
'I came, I saw, I locked the diff'
RichardD
Marshall

Odometer: 22856

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all about control.

It has got to the stage that we do not actually have freedom of expression; If we have genuine freedom of speech then why can we not express ourselves as we see fit (politicians and 'celebs' included) even if those views are unpopular/badly put/offensive to some.

A few years ago I had problems with the Local Authority Education Dept and in an attempt to sideline me, they simply objected to the passion with which I expressed my (and many other's parents') concerns. They were trying to divert attention from their failings by hinting I was being racist because I, and 50+ other parents expected a Jewish, faith, Primary School to be run under the supervision of the Jewish Community!

We only got our way when I pointed out that the Education Dept and the School's Management, both of which were 100% secular, were trying to define what it is to be a Jew and/or Jewish.

'They' are trying to turn us into a load of jelly spined, opinionless wimps.

mmgemini
Mud Obsessed

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK is a free country.
As long as you do as you are told.

At my age I'm rather hissed off at they way I am forced to have something rammed down my throat that goes against all the teachings I've been brought up to.

Do you know that racism is only one way.

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmgemini wrote:
Do you know that racism is only one way.

Normally I'd take exception to a comment like that, however ....

My ex used to work for Westminster Council and they had a policy where if you were accused of making an inappropriate comment (iro skin colour) you were "required to go on a racial awareness course". In her 17 years there no one non-white went on the course and some were sent on it for referring to blackboards or black coffee.

In my experience EVERYONE has the capacity for racism, even if it casual and unintended and there is the rub - no distinction is made between proper racism and casual inexperience leading to saying the wrong thing. Intention is everything imo.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 10758

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Similarly, I object to political parties having a policy that X% of their candidates must be women. I don't care what gender my representative is, provided they are the best person for the job. Instead of which, we are being invited to vote for a candidate who (hopefully) is the best of 50% of the potential candidates.

Surely, insisting that X% of the candidates must be of a specific gender is sexist ... unless there is a policy that X% of the candidates must be from the other gender?

The same applies to colour, race, religion, etc.

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did engineering science a long time ago at college. Anything under 5% especially when dividing was ignored.

Hi,

My father was a foreman toolmaker. He was asked to make a tool that would move a sheet of steel along a bench, under various press tools.

"How fast do you want it to move?"

"Oh, I don't know, Say about 12" per minute!"

So Dad went away, thought about, did some calculations, collected so likely components, and made a test rig. Found it mo0ved at 11.5" per minute. Told his boss.

"That's not good enough, I asked for 12" per minute!"

"No .. you ****** guessed at 12" per minute!"#

Another time he was given some drawing for a 300 mm dia bowl, in 3mm thick stainless steel ... detailed to 0.005mm. Confused

Toseland
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3209

1999 Suzuki Vitara

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more i see it at school, the more i want to slap someone..

my name is toseland (as you might have guessed) and the kids call me Mr T. as its easier..

often get refered to the guy in the A Team, yuou know the one,

when they say that i usually reply there are 3 problems

1. i dont have a mowhawk,
2. i dont have gold chains and rings
3. i am not black.

EVERY time i say that the first thing that is said is "oh my god thats racist", and we have had a few discussions regarding this.

and it occured to me, the other day, its very very very rarely the person whom the proported racism is directed at that has an issue with said "racism".

case in point, the slope comment that was made by JC, 99.9999% of the population had no issue with it, saw it was a joke, and chuckled (Even my friend who is korean did). EVEN the guy in the shot came out and said that he thought it was funny and had no issue with it..

there was a small hardcore of 2 types of people... mad PC bizzybodies with nothing better to do, who get offended on behalf of people who they feel should be offended and start to shout and whine about it). And lawyers and soliciters who can make a quick buck with the right person.

and i cant help agree that "equal opportunities" in this country only applies if you are non white..

tbh it shouldnt be about the colour of your skin, race, ethnic origin, religion or whatever, it should be about your ability to do said job so when i see services and companies saying they have to fulfill a certian quota of ethnic minorities or otherwise, it makes me cringe as you know full well that given the need to meet the quota, if you get an extremly well qualified white person or a run of the mill "insert race here" person, then the underqualified person will get it because of that quota.

The feeling you get when you first smash your shaft out, is one you will never forget.. especially if you do it in front of 10 guys.
Xpajun
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3245

1988 Mitsubishi Shogun

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toseland wrote:
there was a small hardcore of 2 types of people... mad PC bizzybodies with nothing better to do, who get offended on behalf of people who they feel should be offended and start to shout and whine about it).

I see Ramblers in there somewhere Twisted Evil

Regarding your last paragraph Id rather move my company overseas rather than have to apply that to my workforce
DD
Mud Obsessed

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending where you move overseas, you'd be wanting a quota of British people......something perverse here.. Smile
cynic-al
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 6062

1989 Suzuki SJ

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on such things but I didn't think 'white' and 'black' were races.

A local supermarket has a polish only checkout, I didn't realise and got ejected for not being polish. At first I was a bit put out but when I thought about it they're trying to use it to encourage customers, they probably have to pay the worker extra for the extra skill of an extra language so they don't want to waste the investment on someone that could use another lane. Can't fault it really.

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of interesting points raised here ...

1. busybodies ... about 18 months ago advertising hoardings, positioned opposite a Mosque, with adverts featuring pigs were removed after complaints. These complaints came from local Council Officials who thought that it would offend Muslims. The Mosque was contacted and the Imam's response was "Why should we object to this advert [for financial services], it was not put there to offend us".
In another case, one that has been repeated in many places many times over, Xmas cards/decorations etc, have been banned in case they offend Jews and Muslims. WTF! this is, notionally, a Christian Country.

Agreed, in many cases it is officialdom getting worried in case someone gets offended. IMO, if you are offended by something then speak up, we do have [a form of] freedom of speech and you will be taken seriously. If we are trusted to vote/marry/shag/drink (not usually in that order) then we ought to be trusted to voice our opinions - Society should just make sure there is a sense that those speaking up do so in safety - whatever their opinions.

2. Ethnic quotas
I had an experience with Fife Council a few years back where they, as part of a tender process, required a copy of our racism policy and needed me to fill in a form about the ethnic make up of our staff and ownership. I objected to this and decided to make fun of them by asking why they would only deal with racists. This confused them and I pointed out that as I comply with all relevant UK employment legislation I should not be "required" to give them any such information. I especially objected to being "required" to give them the very information that UK employment law forbids me from collecting.
Upshot was that they needed the information to prove that they were complying with the Law as well. They got a little confused when I told them them whilst the employees were all UK/white the ownership was 100% ethnic minority. This apparently is not possible according to Fife Council. I suggested to them that they needed to learn more about the meaning of 'ethnic', 'minority' and 'race'. They should also remember that it is it a basic tenet of modern political thought that each person has "the right to define their own oppression" ie it is not up to Fife Council to tell me whether or not I consider being Jewish makes me from an ethnic minority is true (I would argue that being one of a community of 3,500 in a population of 5,000,000 makes it a minority).

It is far too easy to tie these sods in knots Wink

rhinoman
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 3277

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="w3526602]
Another time he was given some drawing for a 300 mm dia bowl, in 3mm thick stainless steel ... detailed to 0.005mm. Confused
602[/quote]

I used to work with a guy who just couldn't grasp the basics of tolerancing, he would produce a drawing with a hole 10mm +/- 0.5mm with a pin that was 9.8mm +/- 0.5mm. I discussed this with the owner of the engineering shop and he told me that they always make those in pairs as they used to have lots of problems with the fit! Even after a year I couldn't get the guy to grasp what he was doing wrong.

2000 Vitara 4u2, 3+3 lift, 33s, winch, safari rack, steel front axle and 5:83 R&Ps, LWB brakes
1986 SJ413K Pickup, 1.6 conversion
2006 Jimny JLX+, stock
w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The Machine Shop forman came into the Drawing Office with a hadful of swarf.

"Here's your job!" he told us.

We checked the drawings, and found it was for a 1" dia bar, with a 2" dia hole through the middle. Obviously a "typo" error, but done in manuscript.

THEY HAD BEEN MAKING THIS ITEM FOR YEARS. Confused

We queuing for the check-out at IKEA (as you do), when my SWMBO started getting broody at the sight of the baby being held by the Asian girl standing behind us, started chatting. I joined in, found that she was of Pakistani descent. I asked if the Kyber Pas was in Pakistan. Yes! I asked if she had seen "Carry on up the Kyber"? "Yes!" Had it offender her"? "No!"

After some discussion, we agreed that, provided the joke was funny, we could both accept a bit of "racial stick". Either way.

I no longer tell Irish jokes ... I translate them into Rambler jokes. Or I did until I got my wrist slapped.

The black Ladrador, in the new "Dambusters" film, has had his name changed.

Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside...

...when I was at MedSchool we learned that the severity of burns were classified by the amount of surface area burned (ie upper and lower arms at 5% etc).

And when we added up the total of the percentages it came to 99%.

Where was the final 1% we asked?

Well you have to be male to have that bit and that's what I thought of when I read the title of this thread Cool

Sorry.

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
DD
Mud Obsessed

1986 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, only 1% for some......wee man

Wink

w3526602
Difflock Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Big man ... Big 1%. Small man ... all 1%.

How small a car do I have to drive before woimen believe I have nothing to prove?

RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w3526602 wrote:
Hi,

Big man ... Big 1%. Small man ... all 1%.

How small a car do I have to drive before woimen believe I have nothing to prove?

As I said to my nephew as he collected his (new to him) BMW, driving a flash car does not necessarily mean you have a small cock, it just means most people will think you are one Laughing

He's 23 a recently graduated Doctor driving in a sky blue BMW 325i touring with tan leather interior. They will question his sexuality long before they worry about the size if his anatomy Laughing Laughing

** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got this far

RichardD wrote:

He's 23 a recently graduated Doctor driving in a sky blue BMW 325i touring with tan leather :

before

RichardD wrote:
They will question his sexuality
#

sorry Laughing
RichardD
Marshall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He saw the humour in it as well. Just as well given he's told everyone he's going to use the car for camping Shocked Laughing Laughing
Nightbar
Difflock Royalty

Odometer: 20799

1999 Land Rover Defender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he should get a dog and go dog...

...I've got me coat:

Plant a tree for the Difflock 3
** GED **
Mud Obsessed

Odometer: 2039

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the price on that coat in old money?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Difflock Forum Index -> The Soap Box All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: